Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,992 members, 7,821,460 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use (13632 Views)

Out Of Care Or Jealousy? Matured Minds Only... / Craziest Jealousy Stories / Pictorial Guide To Good/bad Parenting ;D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by leggo: 4:07pm On Nov 24, 2013
well if not for the jealousy/hatred Tesla had for edison the world would still be stuck in the past
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by mustaphagreens(m): 4:52pm On Nov 24, 2013
Please someone help me differentiate 'jealousy' from 'envy' some NLs just are beginning to confuse me on my prior little knowledge of the duo here o sad sad
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by Mariey(f): 4:59pm On Nov 24, 2013
Nyc post. And hi evry1, am a new nairalander.
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by logica(m): 4:59pm On Nov 24, 2013
mustaphagreens: Please someone help me differentiate 'jealousy' from 'envy' some NLs just are beginning to confuse me on my prior little knowledge of the duo here o sad sad
They are supposed to be synonyms, but colloquially, envy is a negative and destructive form of jealousy. When you are jealous, you don't usually go out of your way to harm others, but with envy it is the opposite.
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by ATMC(f): 5:15pm On Nov 24, 2013
mustaphagreens: Please someone help me differentiate 'jealousy' from 'envy' some NLs just are beginning to confuse me on my prior little knowledge of the duo here o sad sad
jelousy is fear of loosing what you have while envy is the desire to acquire what someone has while wishing they didnt have it

1 Like

Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by Nobody: 5:15pm On Nov 24, 2013
freecocoa: I went to see a friend of mine sometime ago, on getting there the first thing she said was " You are looking hotter than me these days, you just dey buy things pass me, take am easy o" she said this while smiling one kind smile though.

I smiled too but I still dey think what kind of talk is that one, na competition?

Well envy\jealousy is human nature, we all feel it I'd like to believe but how you react to it is what really matters.
she ain't all that envious. You should be happy she just told you the truth. Some would have planned your downfall. If you had a good sense of humor, you would have got the gist. You should be happy some one notifice you when they're envious of you.
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by Miner13: 5:39pm On Nov 24, 2013
Jealouzzy my name but your own progress in not my problem because i am not in competition with anybody and my goal is to beat my last performances
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by lafuria1(m): 5:41pm On Nov 24, 2013
some people see life as a competition. I have seen destructive envy, you just cant tell the person about some thing nice you have acquired without their mood changing. it all boils down to family setup and upbringing. we were humble and contented with what we have because we spent more time in our home than moving around neighbours houses and comparing what they have with what we have.

overcoming envy isn't easy, it comes with self discipline and be alright with what you are (self esteem) and what you have. you see a friend with something nice, show happiness for the person.
1. in overcoming envy, I just tell my self, hey, you cant afford it o better calm down.
2. understand the people you relate with. if you are in the mix of people who spent their day comparing themselves with celebrities, better leave.
3. don't make a habit to announce what you have, if they notice alright, if not have fun. we human love show-off (the intentional ones).
4. like someone earlier posted, just ask the person how did they achieve it, perhaps you can learn something from it.

1 Like

Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by Samcathe: 6:17pm On Nov 24, 2013
Nice post
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by UjSizzle(f): 6:20pm On Nov 24, 2013
Very insightful smiley
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by ijbeauty(f): 6:41pm On Nov 24, 2013
Its very healthy to be envious or jealous but in a gud way ooo. D aftermath can b positive or negative depending on how u control ur feeling.. Take 4 instance those dayz in primary or secondary skul while ur frnd took 1st to 10th position and de r called up to be given some prizes, my dear der is no hw u won't b envious of those ppl. And dat feeling wil make u work hard..
#my opinion sha#cheesy
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by ekaromail: 7:34pm On Nov 24, 2013
Na wa o! Okay I don hear, but I don't think I need either of them.

www.amazon.com/Karo%20Oforofuo/e/B00B3OADWC/ref=la_B00B3OADWC_rf_p_n_feature_browse-b_1?rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_82%3AB00B3OADWC%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A618073011&bbn=283155&ie=UTF8&qid=1385315005&rnid=618072011
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by mentor56(m): 7:58pm On Nov 24, 2013
honestly, i hate feeling envious. I want to be happy 4 my friends dat excel in life, but de feeling comes from no where to limit my happiness. God help us
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by OluomoChampion(m): 8:03pm On Nov 24, 2013
ATMC: envy is an emotion, hence it is part of being human cos humans are emotional. It is very very normal to be envious, one shouldnt pretend when you feel envious just like you express yourself when you are happy, that same way express yourself when envious for it is an emotion/feeling to be expressed, simple! and it goes after a while just as all other feelings . So there is no big deal to envy, yeah...the only thing is to be cautious just like you are with everything in life in other words, have self control, that way, you wont go overboard with expression of envy. A simple 'meehhn, i envy you oo' then 'tell me how you did it' will do.
That's factual!
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by EreluY(f): 9:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
EVEN THE JUDEO-CHRISTIAN GOD IS AN ENVIOUS ENTITY,
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by Deschil: 2:31am On Nov 25, 2013
WRONG!!!
Erelu_Y: EVEN THE JUDEO-CHRISTIAN GOD IS AN ENVIOUS ENTITY,
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by Westymee: 6:27am On Nov 25, 2013
Jealousy is a major challenge in every nation.
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by Westymee: 6:31am On Nov 25, 2013
Don't overwhelm yourself with Envy it can confuse and destroy you if not properly handle.
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by tpia5: 6:57am On Nov 25, 2013
mentor56: honestly, i hate feeling envious. I want to be happy 4 my friends dat excel in life, but de feeling comes from no where to limit my happiness. God help us

Very candid of you, and amen.
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by enigmatique(m): 10:55am On Nov 25, 2013
Erelu_Y: EVEN THE JUDEO-CHRISTIAN GOD IS AN ENVIOUS ENTITY,
Just as Deschil has pointed out to you, you are wrong. My God is JEALOUS, not ENVIOUS. Those are two different things. And someone has already defined jealousy as fear of losing someone or something, but I will define it as a desire to possess something all by yourself with no external participant(since God can never be afraid), thus protecting that thing or person with all your might. That is what God wants. He wants us all for Himself and will never share us with the obvious alternative: the devil. Besides, sharing something with the devil is far beneath God's regality and status as the Almighty. Thank you.
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by tpia1: 5:58pm On Aug 09, 2014
seriously, i do not envy people.

i'm even starting to get worried about this sef, seems i lack an emotion commonly found in everyone else.

how do you envy? I need lessons plz.

se you check someone out and then start feeling angry and vindictive or what?

presently, you have to actually offend me intentionally before i can get angry with you, i need to transfer this to include others who dont offend me, or maybe just take offence at anyone who seems to be doing better than me?

its even confusing .
Re: When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use by Kanwulia: 3:14am On Aug 10, 2014
Not capable of such emotions as jealousy or envy.
There is nothing you may have that may interest moi.
I gatz mine!
I was raised to be CONTENT with whatever I have. . . .and whatever I don't have. . .I MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT NEED! cool

Envy and jealousy can only apply to the materially/spiritually poverty-stricken! kiss
Or those who worship their JEALOUS GOD!
Ta! kiss

A waste of calories! kiss

Meanwhile another 2011 study, done in the Netherlands, revealed benign envy as a powerful motivational force. Researchers at Tilburg University discovered that—compared with feelings of malicious envy and pure admiration—benign envy led students to dedicate more time to their schoolwork, and perform better on.

Only with the WHITE race. . . . kiss

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why So Much Hatred Between Step Siblings? / What Is A Woman's Financial Responsibility In A Marriage?. / Nigerian Housemaid Wahala!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.