Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,411 members, 7,812,218 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

Growing Concern As Lagosians Shun Pedestrian Bridges - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Growing Concern As Lagosians Shun Pedestrian Bridges (1578 Views)

Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories / Who Are The True Lagosians? The Yorubas, Igbos Or The Benins? / Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Growing Concern As Lagosians Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Rednose: 9:48am On Jun 17, 2013
With pedestrians shunning the bridges on the major highways in Lagos, accidents are on the increase as the state intensifies efforts to arrest offenders, writes MOTUNRAYO JOEL

John Adeyemi was driving home from work on a wet Wednesday night in April when he witnessed the crushing of a young man by a lorry after he attempted to cross the expressway, shunning one of the pedestrian bridges along the Ikorodu road.

Giving the gory details of the accident, Adeyemi, who works with a leading newspaper company in Nigeria, said the unpleasant experience shattered his night as the shocking incident haunted him in his sleep. He said death like this was avoidable if the need for pedestrian bridges on the expressway was appreciated.

“The pedestrian bridges add aesthetic value to our society but the major reason for their construction was to avoid accidents on the roads. It is however unfortunate that people still prefer to risk their lives by crossing the road even when there are government agents put in place to arrest offenders. They prefer arguing out with the officers to using the bridges.

“I would have killed the man but I applied brakes to avoid him. He was however unlucky as the lorry beside me hit him and ran over him with his body parts flying all over the road,” Adeyemi said.

Such deaths are becoming daily occurrences on the Lagos roads, especially on the Ikorodu Road, Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway, and areas like Ikeja and Lagos Island where the pedestrian bridges are erected. Despite warnings from the state government and its agencies, most Lagosians have chosen to turn a deaf ear to these warnings. Regardless of the risk and the fatal consequences involved in crossing the expressways, some pedestrians uphold the view that the choice to use the bridges is personal.

Segun Olabode, who spoke to our correspondent, said climbing the bridge was time-consuming.

“I have a shop at the Computer Village in Ikeja, Lagos and every morning, I travel from Sango to Lagos. Once I get down at the foot of the Ikeja overhead bridge, I quickly cross over to the other side of the road. I don’t see reasons why I should spend valuable minutes climbing the bridge. It is a waste of time. Here in Lagos, time waits for no one. Crossing the main road is much faster if I can avoid the vehicles. It’s a matter of choice if I am certain that I will not be knocked down by a vehicle,” said Olabode.

A trip around Lagos by our correspondent revealed that apart from the people who dash across the express roads at rush hour of each day, those who hawk goods on the expressways freely choose to break the traffic rule.

Bunmi Olusola is a hawker in Ojota, who takes advantage of the gridlock on the road to sell to motorists. To her, the law banning people from crossing the highway is a way of taking away food from some peoples’ tables.

She said, “I can’t be carrying my goods over the pedestrian bridge, it’s stressful. I find it easier crossing the road. I know it’s not safe, but that is what I prefer. I hawk goods here all the time so how will I make money if I have to cross the road, using the pedestrian bridges. No motorist will wait for me if I have to climb the bridge before coming to sell to them. We are used to the system.”

To some pedestrians, crossing the highway is worth the risk because of the “stress” involved in using the bridges. Mary Sidney defended those who cross the highways, blaming the act on the unfriendly design of the bridges. She said her health could not endure climbing the tall and lengthy bridges.

(...)

To ensure that the people make use of the bridges, thereby stopping accidents on the roads, the Lagos State Government empowers officers of the Kick Against Indiscipline to arrest anyone who crosses the road. At Ojota, many of the officers, in green uniforms, can be seen patrolling median of the dual carriageways, waiting to arrest pedestrians who break the law. The agency has an office by the foot of the bridge linking motorists with the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. Here, offenders are tried in an emergency court and if necessary fined. One of the officers, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not permitted to speak on behalf of the agency (KAI), said his colleagues were having a difficult time persuading the people to use the bridge, adding that those arrested sometimes attempted to force their way to freedom by fighting them.

He said, “Anyone caught crossing the expressway will be sent to our office at Alausa, Ikeja, after which the person would be taken to the Ikeja High Court. The fellow, if found guilty, would be asked to pay a fine. The guilty offender could be asked to engage in community service.”

http://www.punchng.com/feature/dash-of-death-growing-concern-as-lagosians-shun-pedestrian-bridges/
Re: Growing Concern As Lagosians Shun Pedestrian Bridges by dhejykeane: 11:14am On Jun 17, 2013
I have nothing to say.suggestions please
smiley
Re: Growing Concern As Lagosians Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Rednose: 11:40am On Jun 17, 2013
dhejykeane: I have nothing to say.suggestions please
smiley

You don't have to say anything, please pass on the message: Use pedestrian bridges where available.
Re: Growing Concern As Lagosians Shun Pedestrian Bridges by ifyalways(f): 1:49pm On Jun 17, 2013
Lagosians are always in a hurry even when they're going NOwhere.
As per the law enforcement agencies?abeg leave tori. The other day I was in stuck in traffic at sandfield. The KAI officers themselves,camouflage with mufti then cross the highways. Unsuspecting civilians see them,assume they are mere mortals cheesy like them and join them in crossing. Their colleagues are waiting at the other side to arrest you. Lol
Lagos!

1 Like

Re: Growing Concern As Lagosians Shun Pedestrian Bridges by Rednose: 11:39pm On Jun 17, 2013
It seems we don't value human life in Lagos and maybe some other parts of the country. Drivers in Lagos drive recklessly without regard for the pedestrian and other road users while some pedestrians use the roads as though they have nine lives. Law enforcement personnel shouldn't be the ones to teach us about our won safety. Take the use of seat belts for example, if you love yourself, you know it's necessary because it can save one's life in the event of an accident or near-accident.
The same thing goes for pedestrian bridges, it's tedious climbing those steps to the top, and some are scared of height; however, it feels much safer up there than weaving dangerously through fast traffic with reckless drivers at the wheel.

At Oshodi, it seems more people cross the highways compared to those who use the ped. bridge, and yet there are two well-built pedestrian bridges there. Not only do these people risk their lives, they cause slow moving traffic as drivers slow down to avoid hitting them.

(1) (Reply)

The Origin Of The Days Of The Week / Our Almajiri Projects: A Possible Break Through / My Argument Against Feminism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.