Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:53 AM

Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. (4188 Views)

Sachi Motorsport Audi A8 D3 4.2 Quattro Sport, Family Cruiser, V8 Content! / Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour / Labourdette Rolls-royce Phantom III Vutotal Cabriolet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 17, 2013
Hello guys!

I've just gotten hold of a '96 Cabrio 2,6 auto, which will form the basis of Sachi Motorsport's Cabrio project.

Now this wouldn't have been my choice, but it was free, so I honestly couldn't turn her down. She's Ming Blue with black leather, black mohair hood. She's been stood for 2 years, though she does run. The rear window's gone yellow and brittle with age, and literally fell out when I poked at it. Usual cabrio electric roof issues, but that's life.

Now I'm going to install a 6-speed manual trans, and replace the ageing 2,6 V6 12V 150 hp motor with either a 2,7T or 40V S6 motor. I would choose the 340 hp S6 motor over a 310 hp A6 version due to the ease of coding the S6/S8 ECU for manual use. A6/A8 ECU is a bit harder to work with.

I have access to a 2002 A6 3,0 Quattro, and to make the integration of a 2,7T or S6 motor neater, I'm going to use the entire wiring harness of the C5 A6 in the Cabrio. It'll also make the car OBDII compliant, as well as enable the use of either the '00 B5 dash, or that of the '02 C6 dash and cluster. Nice, easy, neat and OEM. I will also be able to install my RNS-E, and add future upgrades that would be tedious with the older B4-based, non-CAN system.

My issue is integrating the Cabriolet power hood harness with the C5 A6. It won't be a big deal, without wiring diagrams of the Audi Cabriolet's power hood control, it'll just take longer to complete than it should.

Pictures to follow!

Thanks guys!
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jun 17, 2013
My Audi Cabriolet had been stood for 4 years, before I got hold of her. Trying to start her produced nothing but a cranking engine. A very healthy spark, but no fuel. Starting from the fuel pump fuse and relay, all checked out okay. 12V+ at the fuel pump itself. So this pointed to a dead pump.

Petrol contains varnish, and as the petrol ages, it turns to a sticky residue. This will cause a pump to stick internally. A new pump fitted, and she fired up on the first try.

The plastic rear screen was replaced last Friday, and I finally drove her home. Still needs a good clean, but here's how she currently looks:

Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jun 17, 2013
And some more:

Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by mikkyphp(m): 4:32pm On Jun 17, 2013
fantastic!
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jun 17, 2013
^^^ Thanks bud. I've got to decide on body styling, colour, wheels and exhaust. The mechanical aspect is easy, as I know exactly how it'll turn out.
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 8:45am On Jun 25, 2013
So as at yesterday - 06/24/13, I've found a shop that will handle the grafting of quattro into the rear of my Cabriolet. The donor car will be a B4 80 quattro. As I said previously, this is my choice, due to the superior handling characteristics over the B2/3 80/90/Coupe quattro. The turrets of the B4 are also outboard, so don't intrude into the recess for the hood to fold into.

The B2/3 gas tank wont't work, as it sits directly behind the rear seat. The B4 tank being underneath is perfect. As the B4 80 and B5 A4 quattroshare the same rear driveline, I'll be able to run the B5 A4 quattro 5x112mm rear hubs. The front hubs and uprights will be Audi S2 items.

So, the search is on for a B4 80 quattro, in any shape, will update as and when.
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Emperoh(m): 10:47am On Jun 25, 2013
Signing up!
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 10:58am On Jun 25, 2013
Many have questioned my decision to have such radical surgery performed on this car. Afterall, FWD will handle V8 power, as long as the car isn't driven on the limit. But this car is certainly going to be driven on the limit.

Besides, not everyone's keen on a Convertible with a big V8 engine and FWD. Quattro AWD is where it's at - power is nothing without control.
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by tundealone: 9:42am On Jun 27, 2013
Siena,

I need your help. Can you help with the ECU # with the VIN of 1NXBR32E65Z448103. Your assistance will be appreciated, I had bought an ECU but it is causing the car to have multiple problems. Thanks in anticipation.

Tunde
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by ba7man(m): 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2013
@ Siena. You just love messing around with Audis, don't you??....Nyways, I used to fantasize bout owning this particular Audi convertible and i'm still considering a 1.8T or 2.0T A4 2005/2006MY manual gear or an A3 at least (A5 prices weren't dropping as fast as i expected in the used car market). I only have trusted contacts in the U.K while I'm resident in Nigeria which means a steering wheel conversion is required once purchased. I would really love it if you could help me out with that when i'm ready. Cheers.

Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by firestar(f): 2:10pm On Jun 28, 2013
(Raises eyebrows)
Oh I like her...
...and you her for free?
shocked
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 10:22am On Jun 29, 2013
ba7man: @ Siena. You just love messing around with Audis, don't you??....Nyways, I used to fantasize bout owning this particular Audi convertible and i'm still considering a 1.8T or 2.0T A4 2005/2006MY manual gear or an A3 at least (A5 prices weren't dropping as fast as i expected in the used car market). I only have trusted contacts in the U.K while I'm resident in Nigeria which means a steering wheel conversion is required once purchased. I would really love it if you could help me out with that when i'm ready. Cheers.

Sure, no worries. Give me a shout when you're ready.
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by skyfall: 1:18pm On Jun 29, 2013
Another interesting thread, followed. But what about the previous projects especially the "Audi A4 Quattro DTM Race Car Build?"
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jun 29, 2013
skyfall: Another interesting thread, followed. But what about the previous projects especially the "Audi A4 Quattro DTM Race Car Build?"

The DTM Race Car build is still ongoing, though the A4 Avant Quattro project is up for sale, to make way for a 2006 Audi A8 D3.
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 31, 2013
This project would take long to complete, due to the extensive reworking of the rear floorpan, to accept Quattro AWD components. The obvious thing to do would be to do things in stages. So I could run her as she is, then fit the V8 motor, and run her some more, grafting in the rear floorpan from an Audi 80 Quattro B4 last. This will then leave my choice of wheels, suspension and body styling till last.

The problem with this plan is the bodywork is not exactly pristine, or even close to being reasonable, by my standards. Not an issue if I'm tackling the bodywork first, but I don't really want to cruise in a Cabriolet with the roof down, if it's scruffy.

So I made the decision to purchase another Audi Convertible! This time, I'm taking my time, and will go for a Final Edition model. These run-out production cars have different front bumpers, front foglamps and indicators. They also have a high-level brake lamp recessed in the boot lid. I will also make a conscious choice to seek out a manual this time around. With my blue car, it fell into my lap, I wasn't looking for an Audi Convertible, so I took her as she came.

I currently have my eye on a 2000 2.8 V6, 5-speed manual. I'm currently waiting to see if the seller's willing to do a deal. I have seen quite a few - one is in Northern Ireland! But I will travel for the right car.

What will happen to the blue car? Well, not much. I'll just sell her as she is. Fingers crossed the seller of the 2000 car accepts my offer!
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 4:50am On Aug 01, 2013
You are the bomb boss. I am following.
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 01, 2013
As of this morning, I'm the owner of a 2000 model year Audi Cabriole 2.8 V6, 5-speed manual. The seller accepted my offer, and ended the eBay auction, with 18 hours before it was due to end.

It's a Final Edition model in silver, and I'll be picking her up after work this evening. Pictures to follow!
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by JUO(m): 10:22am On Aug 01, 2013
bros you too like cars, we go lose if we follow you
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by fwesh2013: 3:44pm On Aug 01, 2013
Using this for the first time and I dunno if am at the right place,buh I just got an Audi A4 V8 engine 2001 and I just need maintanance tip,plus most of sensor ain't working and the car auto lock
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 6:48am On Aug 03, 2013
fwesh2013: Using this for the first time and I dunno if am at the right place,buh I just got an Audi A4 V8 engine 2001 and I just need maintanance tip,plus most of sensor ain't working and the car auto lock

The only tip or advice I can give you at this stage, is you need to get better knowledge of the car you drive. As there wasn't a V8 engine option in any 2001 Audi A4.

1 Like

Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 03, 2013
So, on the 2nd day of August, I picked up a Final Edition Audi Cabriolet. So much nicer to drive a 5-speed manual! I drove her home 120 miles through the night with the hood down, arriving home just after 01:26 hrs.

Pictures to follow. I'll also include pictures of the older blue car, so the differences between a pre-facelift and Final Edition can be seen. smiley
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by wwwkaycom(m): 7:19pm On Aug 03, 2013
Oga Siena Sir, isn't it possible to get a left hand drive audi for sale in the UK, I mean one that wouldn't need conversion, thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by wwwkaycom(m): 7:24pm On Aug 03, 2013
Oga Siena Sir, isn't it possible to get a left hand drive audi or VW for sale in the UK, I mean one that wouldn't need conversion, (like Audi A4, I4,16V or Jetta, Passat, Polo etc) thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 03, 2013
Yes, it is possible to get a LHD Audi or Volkswagen in the UK.

2 Likes

Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 1:09am On Aug 08, 2013
I have had a few days smoking round in my new Audi Cabriolet, and I'm really pleased with her. The rear screen is discoloured, but that will be replaced.

Some pictures!

Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 1:17am On Aug 08, 2013
Some more:

Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 1:28am On Aug 08, 2013
Yet more:

Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 1:37am On Aug 08, 2013

Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by olajay5: 11:54pm On Aug 16, 2013
@Siena,

How are you doing? I am a Nigerian and one of the astute follower of your posts. I am presently in London on vacation and would like to see you. I saw a very lovely car at a good price I would like to buy here in London and would need your take on it as per the conversion. In fact, I wouldn't mind if you can do the conversion here before sending it to Nigeria. Please kindly send your contact phone number to my email address sojay5@yahoo.com.

Thanks for your anticipated quick response.
Re: Sachi Motorsport's Audi Cabriolet Project - V8 Content. by Nobody: 10:46am On Aug 17, 2013
^^^ Olajay, email sent.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peugeot 307 Issues: Anti Air Pollution SOLUTION / How Reliable Is Acura MDX Suv Anyone With First Hand Experience Pls. / 1996 Toyota Camry Cold/ Wet Weather Start-up Difficulties. Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.