Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice (1372 Views)

I Will Name My Cabinet This Month, Buhari Tells Ghana's President / Nobody Will Escape Justice, Not Even Corrupt APC Members - Buhari / Buhari May Consider Amnesty For Corrupt Politicians – Fayemi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by bobthebuilder99(m): 4:42am On Jun 19, 2013
Former Ghana president, Jerry Rawlings, has launched a scathing attack on the Nigerian government's anti-corruption record, severely criticizing the leadership's failure to punish politicians who steal public funds.

While the Nigerian leadership pays "lip service" to corrupt officials looting billions, Mr. Rawlings said Monday, it directs its resources at persecuting anti-graft fighters, and prosecuting petty thieves.

"Corrupt politicians in Nigeria escape punishment. We cannot continue to pay lip service to the strengthening, empowerment and independent management of our multiple anti-corruption institutions," Mr. Rawlings said in a speech at the National Legislative Institute in Abuja on Monday.

"We live in countries where poor, petty thieves get imprisoned for several years while businessmen who evade taxes in millions of dollars or politicians who misappropriate millions of state funds escape punishment."

Mr. Rawlings is well reputed for his tough stance against official graft. As military ruler of Ghana, he executed his country's past leaders, accusing them of corruption.

He said Africa lost at least $38.4 billion and $25 billion in 2008 and 2010 respectively to illicit financial outflows.

"These inequalities are recopies for retrogression of our democracies and we cannot allow the negative to continue. As I said earlier a democracy that cannot provide socio-economic justice cannot be a healthy democracy and will remain vulnerable," he said.

The former leader's comment came a week after a spokesperson for President Goodluck Jonathan, Reuben Abati, said Nigerians should blame the judiciary for the administration's poor record on corruption.

In an interview with the Pilot newspaper, Mr. Abati said the administration has done well tackling official stealing through preemptive measures. He said if the public failed to notice increased conviction, then it was the fault of the judiciary.

Mr. Rawlings urged Africans to reject henceforth laws allowing the president to choose their countries' Chief Justice, to ensure true independence of the judiciary.

"Our institutions are weak because we do not strengthen and protect them adequately in our constitutions," he said. "While the legislature can enact laws that empower institutions, constitutional entrenchment of such provisions would ensure that political parties with majority control within legislative assemblies do not manipulate the power of these institutions."

He advised that the appointment should go through a consultative process that the president will not manipulate.

"Nigeria has made giant strides over the past decade politically but still faces complicated challenges , which many of you will bear with me has socio-cultural implications that have been ignored for a significant period," he said.

He said Africa's democratic institutions are poorly equipped to offer the best support to government.

"It is embarrassing sometimes to observe our various legislative assemblies struggle to competently debate issue of serious national concern because members are handicapped information wise," he said.
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by OgaTheTop2: 5:06am On Jun 19, 2013
cool
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Cmeo(m): 5:08am On Jun 19, 2013
I don't know why this has not made frontpage yet.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by bobthebuilder99(m): 6:59am On Jun 19, 2013
I want to grow a beard like this man.
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by egift(m): 7:09am On Jun 19, 2013
Nigeria's challenges are big and enormous. We need men with courage, foresight, free from all entanglements and ready to develop this country. Nigeria is a sleeping giant. Her people are suffering under the burden of corruption.

Give us Buhari/Fashola (2015-2019) Let's rebuild this nation together and lay a lasting foundation for growth. Nigerians the decision is ours.

3 Likes

Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by sayso: 7:20am On Jun 19, 2013
egift: Nigeria's challenges are big and enormous. We need men with courage, foresight, free from all entanglements and ready to develop this country. Nigeria is a sleeping giant. Her people are suffering under the burden of corruption.

Give us Buhari/Fashola (2015-2019) Let's rebuild this nation together and lay a lasting foundation for growth. Nigerians the decision is ours.
Going by what Rawlings said,I think the best option Nigeria has is your suggested candidate.But can we cope immediately with their program?

1 Like

Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Chubhie: 7:28am On Jun 19, 2013
JJ is a man i have respect for.
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by bobthebuilder99(m): 8:07am On Jun 19, 2013
The only thing GEJ is doing is reforming the power sector.

Everything else is stagnating or moving forward in baby steps, especially the fight against corruption.
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by boron10(m): 8:24am On Jun 19, 2013
We do not need the judiciary to convict these corrupt politicians. Can't we start a revolution that would change our country for good?

1 Like

Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by ckkris: 8:36am On Jun 19, 2013
bobthebuilder99: The only thing GEJ is doing is reforming the power sector.

Everything else is stagnating or moving forward in baby steps, especially the fight against corruption.
In Ghana JJ killed THREE GENERALS and Ghanaians leaders started obeying their own laws. In Nigeria how many should be killed? Not just Generals, but even traditional rulers and teachers, not to talk Cevil Servants. Nigeria ain't Ghana.
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by egift(m): 8:41am On Jun 19, 2013
sayso:
Going by what Rawlings said,I think the best option Nigeria has is your suggested candidate.But can we cope immediately with their program?

Am sure we can cope since most of the policy will be in the interest of the people and building a strong framework others can build on. The current situation only benefits those closer to government. Check since 1999, subsequent PDP government can't even continue improving on existing initiative.

boron10: We do not need the judiciary to convict these corrupt politicians. Can't we start a revolution that would change our country for good?

As good as I like "revolution", it only give our government the excuses to oppress us the more. Either they threaten, blackmail those pushing for it or they will simply hijack it and give it a very terrible meaning that no sensible person will come near to it.

For example the Subsidy Protest (threat, blackmail and saying ill of those that support it) and Nigerian Governors Forum (they either want to hijack it or destroy it). The NGF cut-across religion, ethnicity and political parties in Nigeria - one of the only groups that can pressure the government to "distribute" the nation's wealth and also call the president to order, to help him consider all the options on the table before rushing out to promote anti-people agenda. See what Jonathan and his team are doing to it.
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Nobody: 8:46am On Jun 19, 2013
The kinda leaders @ the helms of affairs is just the problem ::::::::::::::::Just Imagine Farida Waziri and this Puppet Lamorde were given the kinda chances Ribadu had:::::::::::::::Corruption would have reduced minimally in Nigeria !!!

I know very soon,Nigerians shall get to a stage where real Technocrats and those who are fit to rule would emerged as leaders!!!

Very Soon !!!
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Boss13: 8:56am On Jun 19, 2013
bobthebuilder99: The only thing GEJ is doing is reforming the power sector.

Well it is better he reforms that sector and get it fixed. Obasanjo is known for introducing GSM and sustaining it. Hopefully, when we tackle our pertinent issues, we can then face corruption square on. For now on a scale of importance, Power ranks the most.
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Nobody: 8:58am On Jun 19, 2013
If bringing all of them is anything to come by, then they should be ready for much congestions in all the prisons all over the country, and if they so desire to give them death sentence, then I guess our population will be reduce by 1/4 because even all past and present Directors and HODs of ministries, commissioners, perm seconds, bankers, all past and present senators, house of rep members, govs, presidents, ministers, advisers, aids, oil moguls, etc will all be massacred.
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by djon78(m): 8:58am On Jun 19, 2013
Why has this nation been blessed with a leader like this man. All our past/present presidents, governors, local council, legislators, including civil servants are all guilty of stealing and misappropriation of public funds, and if we want to have a meaningful future as a nation all these men mentioned must be brought to book, if not then we will remain in the same spot. The biggest challenge facing this nation is missapropriating public fund, you will see a man who prior to holding a political office, or an appointment could not boast of hundred thousand will worth hundreds of millions and billions overnight and most Nigerians will feel there is nothing wrong with it. Thats why the only man I think fought graft was Nuhu Ribadu, I dont know much about Buhari's pedigree.

1 Like

Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Brimmie(m): 9:40am On Jun 19, 2013
You spoke too soon. Just wait for Ruben Abati's textual battles with this fellow. He will beg to be Doyin Okuped instead!!

cheesy cheesy

[size=30]Tambuwal2015[/size]
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Gbawe: 10:20am On Jun 19, 2013
I bet Okupe, Maku, Abati and Omokri are already working on a ten-page retort of insults against Rawlings grin grin grin grin
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by omaigala(m): 10:32am On Jun 19, 2013
emmysenior: If bringing all of them is anything to come by, then they should be ready for much congestions in all the prisons all over the country, and if they so desire to give them death sentence, then I guess our population will be reduce by 1/4 because even all past and present Directors and HODs of ministries, commissioners, perm seconds, bankers, all past and present senators, house of rep members, govs, presidents, ministers, advisers, aids, oil moguls, etc will all be massacred.

True!
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Nobody: 10:37am On Jun 19, 2013
C me o: I don't know why this has not made frontpage yet.
How can it make front page when Jonathan's name was omitted in another thread as a one time corrupt governor?

The only man who shares the same ideology with Rawlings as an anti corruption crusader is Buhari. Both of them have some striking similarities. They don't tolerate corruption!

Come 2015,Buhari will revive our sick nation again and free Nigerians from the strangling hands of Corruption.

SAI BUHARI 2015!! cool cool

6 Likes

Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Nobody: 10:40am On Jun 19, 2013
Gbawe: I bet Okupe, Maku, Abati and Omokri are already working on a ten-page retort of insults against Rawlings grin grin grin grin

I guess we should wait for the 40 man lappy doggies headed by Sincere 9gerian to condemn Jerry Rawlings first. cheesy
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 19, 2013
As many as it takes?
ckkris: In Ghana JJ killed THREE GENERALS and Ghanaians leaders started obeying their own laws. In Nigeria how many should be killed? Not just Generals, but even traditional rulers and teachers, not to talk Cevil Servants. Nigeria ain't Ghana.
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 19, 2013
keep waiting evolution - time is running out for Nigeria.

Have you considered what would happen when crude oil prices crashes?
donroxy: The kinda leaders @ the helms of affairs is just the problem ::::::::::::::::Just Imagine Farida Waziri and this Puppet Lamorde were given the kinda chances Ribadu had:::::::::::::::Corruption would have reduced minimally in Nigeria !!!

I know very soon,Nigerians shall get to a stage where real Technocrats and those who are fit to rule would emerged as leaders!!!

Very Soon !!!
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Gbawe: 10:54am On Jun 19, 2013
berem: I guess we should wait for the 40 man lappy doggies headed by Sincere 9gerian to condemn Jerry Rawlings first. cheesy
My dear sister, I can already imagine their sanctimonious and insulting responses.

"How can a mass murderer be condemning GEJ ?"
"Who/what is Ghana to be putting their mouth in Nigeria's business?"
"Anti-democratic Rawlings has the nerve to criticise GEJ who is the best leader to ever live?"
"Rawlings is jealous of GEJ/Nigeria"

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

What you will not get from a single one of them is that GEJ, as many leaders of the world are now boldly insinuating, is hideously corrupt and supervising the looting of Nigeria in ways perhaps never seen before. It is instructive Rawlings spoke after the pathetic GEJ government came out lamely to blame the judiciary for the present status-quo in relation to corruption.

1 Like

Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by iykofias(m): 11:01am On Jun 19, 2013
Wot r u jonathan attack dogs waiting for?. Lynch ds guy

2 Likes

Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 19, 2013
They know that this thread only has a few views, so it doesn't matter to them.
iykofias: Wot r u jonathan attack dogs waiting for?. Lynch ds guy
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by babadem2much(m): 11:28am On Jun 19, 2013
if this 1 no go front page na ehn be say sometin de 4 ground de boil. dis Rawlings of Ghana is d only man that has that guts among our African leaders, d remaining ones may God heal their minds n ours

1 Like

Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Gbawe: 1:49pm On Jun 19, 2013
iykofias: Wot r u jonathan attack dogs waiting for?. Lynch ds guy

Abi ooooooooooh.
Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Boy2boy: 2:41pm On Jun 19, 2013
Dis is front page material now. Abi MOD dey sleep ne

1 Like

Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jun 19, 2013
GenBuhari: keep waiting evolution - time is running out for Nigeria.

Have you considered what would happen when crude oil prices crashes?
GenBuhari what are u saying !!!!

Which Evolution,u mean evolution that has already begun !!!

As for me ooooo , me no want Any fuc.kin' Retired General and former C-in-C as the President again :::::::::::::: I don't want to be taken back to the 70s grudges !!!

We want new crop of leaders who has proven that they could actually fix it,who has proven their love,worthiness and enthusiasm for project Nigeria people like Ribadu,Fashola,Oshiomole,Owelle Rochas,El-rufai et all !!!!

So ,GenBuhari if the General actually cares,let him help these young proven leaders to central power while He can function as Chairman Board of trustee to APC or ICPC Chairman !!!!

My 50cent cool !!! smiley

1 Like

Re: Ghana President Slams Nigeria For Allowing Corrupt Politicians To Escape Justice by mekaboy(m): 10:30pm On Jun 19, 2013
berem: How can it make front page when Jonathan's name was omitted in another thread as a one time corrupt governor?

The only man who shares the same ideology with Rawlings as an anti corruption crusader is Buhari. Both of them have some striking similarities. They don't tolerate corruption!

Come 2015,Buhari will revive our sick nation again and free Nigerians from the strangling hands of Corruption.

SAI BUHARI 2015!! cool cool

Does rawlings support, defend and sympathize with terrorists too?

(1) (Reply)

Imminent Nigerian Revolution / Okonjo Iweala Has Been Asked To Step Down / My Experience Inside The Nigeria Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.