Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,051 members, 7,810,928 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism (10283 Views)

DSS Grills NNPC Director 11 Times Over Swap Deals / Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order / Governor Amaechi In N500 Billion Wasteful Spree, Jerry Rawlings Identified As On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by awodman: 2:33pm On Jun 22, 2013
That is how Ledum Mitee complained about poor budgetary allocations and premium times now captioned their headline to be "JONATHAN ADMINISTRATION IS CRIPPLING OUR ACTIVITIES"

www.nairaland.com/1320026/jonathan-administration-crippling-activities-neiti

And as expected Gbawe and crew came dancing fully unclad..and Gbawe @ his best spewing 1980 long epistles...
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 22, 2013
yeye premium times. Na so dem lie say Nigerian soldiers for mali dey hungry.

The speed at which people are able to believe any bad news about nigeria is troubling. It is so sad that when we hear bad news about the country, we dont bothered to find out if it is true or not, we just accept it. But when there is good news that is true, we are the first to doubt its authenticity.

Another sad thing is; we think when we behave this way, it is then we are not "burying our heads in the sand".

how i wish when we hear good news about the country, we will be so quick to accept the news the same way we do when we hear bad news
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by EmperorSeal(m): 3:47pm On Jun 22, 2013
tongue ;Dbreeze don blow and fowl yansh done open, yes, we don see una finnish. Lie lie journalists dem wey be like dia oga wey dey top liar mohamed....... Now oga jerry don shit clean yansh ;Dbreeze don blow and fowl yansh done open, yes, we don see una finnish. Lie lie journalists dem wey be like dia oga wey dey top liar mohamed....... Now oga jerry don shit clean yansh
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by chris365(m): 4:33pm On Jun 22, 2013
And this is how quack journalism in Nigeria will start to bring another shame to the country. And why foreign media see no reason to report positive things about us.. Cos Nigerian journalists are their backbone. Smh
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by Midecuc(m): 5:17pm On Jun 22, 2013
tongue interesting topic
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jun 22, 2013
Not surprised!

Junk journalism and its publishing outfits ..always representing as usual ..a la opposition parties.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by chessguru1(m): 5:44pm On Jun 22, 2013
This not new nah!
This is Nigerian journalism @ its finest. Distortion is their forte
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by Policewoman(f): 5:53pm On Jun 22, 2013
We have so many CRAYFISH JOURNALISTS these days in Nigeria.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by howfarwhatagwan: 6:37pm On Jun 22, 2013
Trust me even if you had said all those things you would have spoken the whole truth and nothing but the truth about Nigeria. So no hard feelings at all from Nigerians except from the guilty of course.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by ocelot2006(m): 6:53pm On Jun 22, 2013
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!I SAID IT!! Premiumtimes isn't a media house, but a house of QUACKS and RUMOUR MONGERS who spread nothing but falsehood. It is high time the FG shut them down PERMAnently!!!! Clowns!
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by ocelot2006(m): 7:03pm On Jun 22, 2013
The funny part of all these is that no other self-respecting media house, even those owned by the opposition, air/present the same stories peddled by either Premium Times or Sahara Reporters. Yet some Nigerians are so gullible and will swallow every lie hook-line-and-sinker without using their damn thinking faculties to sift through the load of crap in order to get to the truth. I say, BAN THESE FOOLS.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by naUgotire: 8:44pm On Jun 22, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Rawlings, Shonekan, Mark, Tambuwal List Recipe for Democratic Growth in Africa -- http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/rawlings-shonekan-mark-tambuwal-list-recipe-for-democratic-growth-in-africa/150738/

Rawlings, others urge Africa to tackle corruption -- http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=124847:rawlings-others-urge-africa-to-tackle-corruption&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Corrupt politicians must pay for their sins – Rawlings -- http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/corrupt-politicians-must-pay-for-their-sins-rawlings/

Ex-Ghana Leader Slams Nigeria's Anti-Graft Fight -- http://leadership.ng/forum/180613/ex-ghana-leader-slams-nigerias-anti-graft-fight

Jerry Rawlings slams Nigerian government for allowing corrupt politicians escape justice -- http://premiumtimesng.com/news/138994-jerry-rawlings-slams-nigerian-government-for-allowing-corrupt-politicians-escape-justice.html

I am not sure I understand what all the kerfuffle is about smiley

Premium times did not misquote Jerry Rawlings, it merely emphasised certain aspects of his speech.

If that's the way you comprehend speeches and articles, I will suggest you go back to school. There was no need for the emphasis, as Rawlings was not referring to just Nigeria. He was talking about Africa as a whole. The issues he raised were not peculiar to Nigeria, they are the banes to the progress of Africa as a whole. Had it been that they were peculiar to Nigeria, then, the need for the emphasis would have arisen. It was nothing but a case of twisting of Rawlings speech in order to score cheap political points against the president. Premium Times should be ashamed of itself.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jun 22, 2013
na U go tire:

If that's the way you comprehend speeches and articles, I will suggest you go back to school. There was no need for the emphasis, as Rawlings was not referring to just Nigeria. He was talking about Africa as a whole. The issues he raised were not peculiar to Nigeria, they are the banes to the progress of Africa as a whole. Had it been that they were peculiar to Nigeria, then, the need for the emphasis would have arisen. It was nothing but a case of twisting of Rawlings speech in order to score cheap political points against the president. Premium Times should be ashamed of itself.

I am not the one who does not know there is no difference between six and half a dozen.

Corrupt politicians escape punishment in Nigeria and other African countries

If anyone needs to go back to school it you, the confused spastic.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by JuanDeDios: 9:27pm On Jun 22, 2013
na U go tire:

There was no need for the emphasis, as Rawlings was not referring to just Nigeria. He was talking about Africa as a whole. The issues he raised were not peculiar to Nigeria, they are the banes to the progress of Africa as a whole. Had it been that they were peculiar to Nigeria, then, the need for the emphasis would have arisen. It was nothing but a case of twisting of Rawlings speech in order to score cheap political points against the president. Premium Times should be ashamed of itself.
I'm a fan of Premium Times, but I agree with you. There is no other objective way to see this. I expect them at Journalism schools to mass-produce this article for use as example of bad journalism.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by TechyGuy: 9:46pm On Jun 22, 2013
Most Nigerian owned Media especially Premium Times, Sahara Reporters thrive on sensationalism. They will cook lie up for that purpose.
Thank God for some media houses like channels.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by enm(m): 12:26am On Jun 23, 2013
eGuerrilla:

I am not the one who does not know there is no difference between six and half a dozen.

If anyone needs to go back to school it you, the confused spastic.

Nobody is disputing the fact that corrupt politicians are allowed to walk free but it is ethically and morally wrong of premium time as an organization and professionally on the part of the editors that are in charge to twist or distort fact.

Journalism should be about responsible reporting of facts or news as they were presented.

1 Like

Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by miqos02(m): 3:07am On Jun 23, 2013
former presidents too have an office?
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by porka: 10:55am On Jun 23, 2013
flexshop: Its GEJ I blame for giving the press absolute freedom. Nonsense. GEJ is the only president that I saw conduct free and fair elections with my own two eyes in recent times. The man dey try.if na me be president, I won't tolerate all these nonsense,imagine areaboys and never do wells coming on nairaland to call a president retardeen.well if givin you people freedom of speech means he is retarded,I must give it to Mr. President. The man is truly Good.no normal nigerian would be as lenient as he is.that is why I like the man.but he should remember that absolute freedom breeds Anarchy

Oga, he (President Jonathan) does not have any choice.

Press freedom is absolutely and totally guaranteed in the constitution.

If you are aggrieved you can sue them for libel and claim damages.

But, no president has the right trample on press freedom.

Even Buhari/Idiagbon's draconian decrees did not survive.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by Koffiman: 1:04pm On Jun 23, 2013
That is the kind of journalism you get from Yoruba people. From Punch, sahareporters to premiumtimesng all loaded with destructive and malicious journalism. They like sowing seed of discord and in the process become so cheaply used and disposed
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by RoblesOg(m): 8:24am On Jun 25, 2013
Video Evidence Counters Jerry Rawlings’ Denial of PREMIUM TIMES Story

A former President of Ghana, Jerry Rawlings, is being economical with the truth in his claim that he made no reference to Nigeria corruption and the Nigerian government in a speech he delivered at a conference in Abuja on June 17, PREMIUM TIMES can authoritatively report today.
A video recording of the event, where the former leader delivered the speech, has punctured his claim, with footages showing Mr. Rawlings not only repeatedly referring to Nigeria, but at a point mocking its government for hounding corruption fighters, characterizing authorities with the now famous pidgin adaptation for bosses: “Oga at the top.”
Addressing a largely Nigerian audience at a conference on “Emerging Democracies in Africa: Challenges and Opportunities”, Mr. Rawlings accused African countries, of which Nigeria is one, of paying lip service to the fight against corruption, punishing petty thieves and sparing politicians who misappropriate millions of state funds.
He said, “We cannot continue to pay lip service to the strengthening, empowerment and independent management of our multiple anti-corruption institutions. We live in countries where poor, petty thieves get imprisoned for several years while businessmen who evade taxes in millions of dollars or a politician who misappropriates millions of state funds escape punishment.”
But Mr. Rawlings did not stop there. As shown in the video below, he went on to narrate how a former attorney general in his country was widely castigated for fighting official graft, but later celebrated as a hero. As he rounded off his account, Mr. Rawlings asked his audience, which included the President of the Senate, David Mark, if Nigeria had such a hero.
“Yes indeed, you do,” Mr. Rawlings answered. Then, speaking briefly off a prepared text, he added: “You do. Some of them (Nigerian anti-corruption heroes) are being persecuted by the ogas (bosses) at the top.”
He later offered some clarification that he did not “know about this one (in apparent reference to whether President Goodluck Jonathan was also hounding anti-corruption fighters). But I know about some in the past.”
He added that Nigerians should firmly support their anti-corruption crusaders to break the cycle of graft that has gripped the land. “I’m saying you do (have lonely heroes). And they need to fly with boldness. They need your support if you have to change that cycle. People must learn to profit from right, from virtue and not from vice.”
But in his reaction to PREMIUM TIMES’ report of the event, Mr. Rawlings vigorously denied alluding directly or otherwise to Nigeria, and did not say he made additional comments not captured by his prepared speech.
A statement by the former leader’s office (which was never sent to this paper by the way) suggested that everything Mr. Rawlings said at the conference was captured by the speech he read.
But the recording shows one of the ex-leader’s most vital points, not captured by his prepared text but which this newspaper considered one of the high points of his presentation. It eventually formed the basis for the paper’s reporting of the event.
Rather than own up to a remark he made in the open, Mr. Rawlings castigated our reporting, calling it “libelous and malicious” and warning of a possible lawsuit.

watch the video here http://premiumtimesng.com/news/139481-video-evidence-counters-jerry-rawlings-denial-of-premium-times-story.html

1 Like

Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by Nobody: 8:59am On Jun 25, 2013
Thanks @RoblesOg.

As you would have noted, I did all I could to counter the feigned indignation of certain compradors whose favourite pastime is indulging in false piety and sanctimony, whenever Nigeria gets called out for its lackluster anti-corruption campaign. With few scruples left, this group of individuals will, unashamedly, stop at nothing to malign those dedicated to cause of probity in our society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOoVncYmk-0

But Mr. Rawlings did not stop there. As shown in the video below, he went on to narrate how a former attorney general in his country was widely castigated for fighting official graft, but later celebrated as a hero. As he rounded off his account, Mr. Rawlings asked his audience, which included the President of the Senate, David Mark, if Nigeria had such a hero
“Yes indeed, you do,” Mr. Rawlings answered. Then, speaking briefly off a prepared text, he added: “You do. Some of them (Nigerian anti-corruption heroes) are being persecuted by the ogas (bosses) at the top.”
He later offered some clarification that he did not “know about this one (in apparent reference to whether President Goodluck Jonathan was also hounding anti-corruption fighters). But I know about some in the past.”
Re: Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism by thoth: 10:43am On Jun 26, 2013
[size=20pt]Even if he said all they claimed....Was he telling the truth or not ? that is the only answer we want to hear.

God please give Nigeria a Rawlings to save us!!
[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wike Raises Alarm Over Alleged Plot To Plant Guns In Rivers / Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped / 8 Drown In Lagos Boat Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.