Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,095 members, 7,821,792 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport (7089 Views)

Nigerian Passport Can Take You To 44 Countries Without Visa….[see List] / Renewing Nigerian Passport In The Uk / Nigerian Passport: Current Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by Opyso(m): 5:17pm On May 10, 2008
Can anyone advise if a British Citizen (Uk Passport Holder) with Nigerian passport can still apply for ROA on a Nigerian passport?
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by VOR(m): 6:32pm On May 10, 2008
The short answer is NO.
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by LondonCool(m): 7:53pm On May 10, 2008
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by Opyso(m): 8:58pm On May 10, 2008
@ VOR [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][/color]

Thanks

[color=#000099]@ Londoncool

Thanks for expanding on the issue.

I actually went through the same process in 2005 applying for ROA on my Nigerian Passport after sending in my UK
Passport and there was no issue at the time, all went well.

Now that my wife wants to apply for her own it looks like the goal post has been moved. According to the form (attached zipped file) it appears you can no longer apply for ROA if you have a UK passport.

Any taker to look at the form attached and advise on the question below;

1. Are you elligible if you simply do not have a UK passport at your disposal i.e declared lost or expired?

BTW - she would rather have one passport that could do the job of 2 passports ( Nigerian Passport with ROA)

Thanks for all contributors am sure someone else will find your advise or opinions informative.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/righttoliveinuk/claimrightofabode/application/

Thanks

Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by Opyso(m): 9:08pm On May 10, 2008
@ londoncool

Please help me dissect the attached zipped form or you can

use the link to get to the form from my previous post.

cheers!
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by LondonCool(m): 9:35pm On May 10, 2008
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by Opyso(m): 4:40pm On May 11, 2008
Thanks Londoncool, She actually has a UK Passport through birth, so we need to see what happens next if we do challenge it or wait till her UK passport expires and then see if she can apply for ROA on her Nigerian P.

Another reason I opted for ROA on my Nigeria P at the time is so I could have a 2yr B1/B2 US Visa on my Nigeria P which I then use to obtain a US licence and SS which made it easier for me to do business /Investing over there without too many obstacles.

Thanks once again
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by manuch(m): 12:54am On May 13, 2008
i recently tried to apply for one and was told u can't hold a roa and uk P at the same time that the law had changed.
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by Opyso(m): 11:47am On May 13, 2008
Na so we see am oh
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by faridalah: 9:04pm On Nov 11, 2009
My brother, that's how they are making thing difficult day by day. I have similar problem and i need information from colleagues. Here is my own:

Right of Abode/Settlement Visa: Which one?

Please can anyone advice which of the Right of abode or Settlement visa will I apply for my 4-year old daughter in Nigeria?
I am a British by birth and have my British passport. I am presently in UK. I want to bring my daughter (born while I was in Nigeria) to UK and I don't know which one to apply for.
I am confused because some people say it is settlement visa, because right of abode is cancelled in Nigeria. How true is this information?
I plan to be in Nigeria very soon for a month, will it be possible for me to come along with my daughter to UK after the application? Please advice on the type of application!!!
Your timely response will be highly appreciated.
Ola.
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by i5r431: 12:37am On Nov 12, 2009
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by Opyso(m): 10:19am On Nov 13, 2009
I would have thought she should be entitled to British citizenship through parentage as you are a british citizen yourself.

Hope the link sent to you will further assist you.
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by lagbobo: 10:57pm On Jan 17, 2010
From my own point of view, if she is a minor (under 18) she is a British citizen by right because you are a citizen and all you have to do is apply for ROA in 9ja and you will be asked to do a DNA test from st. Nicholas and a letter of consent from her mum if you are not married to her to prove that she approve of you taking her away .
After getting here, she can apply for citizenship/naturalisation and th British.
Hope this helps .
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by dancewith: 7:37am On Jan 18, 2010
British nationality law is quite straight forward. If you were British when you had her, she is born British and does not need any visa (settlement or otherwise). Infact she does not even need a Right of Abode as she is deemed British at the time of her birth. The fact she has not applied and been given a passport does not matter in any way. She is a British citizen by decent. Its just like the numerous Nigerians that go the the US to have their babies. Those children become US citizens and Nigerians whether or not they apply for Nigerian passports. This is only applicable if you were already british at the time of her birth

What to do. get her birth certificate and your passport, download the relevant forms and simply apply to the Identity office for her british passport. make sure you were british already prior to her birth. if however she was born before you became british, she is not deemed to be born british and she must then claim british citizenship (which she has now qualified for) by naturalisation. though in her case it is a given (she cannot be refused) as one of her parent is a citizen and she is still a minor. This will then start with your applying for a settlement visa first before she applys for naturalisation after settling in the UK for a specified period (which i dont know)

Best of luck
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by dancewith: 7:49am On Jan 18, 2010
As a follow up to my post above, you must note that her birth certificate must include your name as one of the parent. The birtish nationality law demands a proof of parentage for a parent passing on citizenship to a minor child. However the law allows the simple statement of your name on the birth cert as enough proof. if however your name is not mentioned on the birth certificate as her parent, a paternity test will be accepted as conclusie proof. I know that as a Nigerian they are likely to demand a paternity test anyway as our birth records are easily falsified so make sure she is truely your daughter before applying

Since you said you became citizen at birth, then she is good to apply for her passport too
Re: Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport by Nobody: 8:04am On Jan 18, 2010

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Reside In Canada For The Rest Of My Life: What Do I Do? / Rail Passenger Traffic Dropped In Q1 2019, Says NBS / Air Mishap Averted On Ilorin-lagos Route

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.