Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,996 members, 7,814,395 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Uruguay Coach Hails Super Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Uruguay Coach Hails Super Eagles (617 Views)

Improvements Nigeria Needs Against Spain And Uruguay / Spain Vs Uruguay - Confederations Cup (2 - 1) On 16th June 2013 / Nigeria Vs Uruguay - Confederations Cup: (1 - 2) On 20th June 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uruguay Coach Hails Super Eagles by Rossikk(m): 12:13am On Jun 22, 2013
[size=15pt]Forlan, Uruguayan coach, hail Super Eagles[/size]

2013 FIFA Confed Cup Salvador, Brazil - Even though Nigeria's Super Eagles were defeated 2-1 by Uruguay in their second group match at the ongoing FIFA Confederations Cup in Brazil on Thursday night, they left the massive Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador with their heads high, as they became the new ambassadors of the African football brand.

Their fighting spirits, their playing skills, their team work as well as stamina and speed were all hailed by the Uruguayans, who claimed the match had been their main target since the draws for the competition were made last December.

A special correspondent of PANA covering the tournament quoted coach Oscar Tabarez to have said that the Super Eagles raised the standard of the game far higher than he had anticipated, and was quite impressed by the combination of the duo of Kenneth Omeruo and Godfrey Oboaboana in the manner that they held the central defence, thus curtailing Luiz Suarez and Diego Forlan.

“I have come to hold African football in high esteem. The time has gone when a fixture with African team is seen as an easy one,' the coach said.

“My team had played Senegal at Olympics and we faced Ghana at the last World Cup in South Africa. Today (Thursday night in Brazil), the Nigerian team has shown that there is no longer any gap between the standard in Europe and South America with that of Africa.

“I am overwhelmed by the speed, ball control as well as physical and mental skills of the Nigerians. I can also confirm that collectively, they exhibit modern style of play instead of what we used to know in the past when there were just some individual skillful players in African teams.

“This team, I understand is a very young one. Without any indiscipline, it will go places. Years ago, indiscipline was the bane of most African players and teams. What I saw today was an attractive football, fluid and entertaining football. I must commend the coach for doing a good job,” added coach Tabarez.

Match hero and the latest entrant into the prestigious FIFA Century Club, Forlan, confirmed that the game had long been classified as his team's most important encounter for Uruguay to advance.

“The Nigerian team gave us a good fight and their players are very good at holding the ball,' he said.

Meanwhile, coach Tabarez has explained how his team narrowly won the match.

“When I noticed that the Nigerian team was dominating the game with their possessive style of play, especially in the first half, I told my boys in the locker room that we must try and regain control.

“As we had known before now that it was our most important game, I told my players at half time to knock off the Nigerian midfield. Our strategy was based on the spy work we did on the Nigerian team. We had watched and analysed most of their recent games.

“So I told my players not to allow the Nigerians to run in the midfield as they are very skillful. I also worked against their counterattack, having noticed that even in the game against Tahiti that they won; they still allowed the less skillful Tahitians take at least nine shots on target,' he said.

http://www.afriquejet.com/news/8289-brazil-forlan-uruguayan-coach-hail-super-eagles-in-defeat.html

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Coach Hails Super Eagles by Afam4eva(m): 12:23am On Jun 22, 2013
Rossikk:
“So I told my players not to allow the Nigerians to run in the midfield as they are very skillful. I also worked against their counterattack, having noticed that even in the game against Tahiti that they won; they still allowed the less skillful Tahitians take at least nine shots on target,' he said.
Here is a coach that is thinking. These foreign coaches are researchers.
Re: Uruguay Coach Hails Super Eagles by hollandis(f): 12:29am On Jun 22, 2013
Stupid man if not for the useless brown you for get mouth?
Re: Uruguay Coach Hails Super Eagles by bigt2(m): 12:55am On Jun 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
Here is a coach that is thinking. These foreign coaches are researchers.
they shaa don wi, make them leave SE, medicine after death, dazzol!! sad

(1) (Reply)

Ameobi Removes ‘controversial’ Newcastle Clause. To play for Nigeria / Five Strikers Who Could Solve Nigeria’s Woes....your Thoughts? / Nigerian Imoh Ezekiel Scoces Fastest Goal In Belgian League

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.