Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,950 members, 7,956,580 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:35 PM

The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? (11931 Views)

For The Bloggers.. Dropping Links On Other Blogs ...good Or Bad Blogging Move / HURRY!! Get Your Own Website Or Any Kind Of Blogs. / Slow Loading Of Blogs.. #why??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Afam4eva(m): 12:19am On Jun 26, 2013
The problem is not blogging for money but blogging for quick money. A lot of people think blogging can make them milionaires like Linda Ikeji and Bella Naija in a short time but that's not true. Linda Ikeji and Bella Naija have been blogging for years and only started making money off their blogs a few years ago. They started it for fun and as it grew, the monetary aspect now sufficed. If you must blog for money, it's imperative that you see it as a business venture and try as much as possible to outdo your compeition and not do exactly what they are doing. And it's not a must for everyone to be in entertainment or other very popular niches. What you don't know is that being in the already saturated entertainment niche will mean that you'll share the money in that niche with a lot of people. But imagine blogging on a relatively virgin niche. You'll be one of the few or only person making most of the money off that not so popular niche. Your originality will also mean that a certain crowd will always come back to your blog. But if you keep copying other blogs verbatim then your readers may check the same info on another blog instead of yours. Be Original!

1 Like

Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 12:29am On Jun 26, 2013
dey do get tied of the whole thing and just dump the website. i dont know if dey see all those paparazzi in america and europe following celebs around 24/7 what do they think those guys are trying to snap, what stop our bloggers from following our celebs to some nasty things they do and take pictures of them entering maybe a canteen with plate or a pool office then upload it to your computer and create a writeup about the pictures,thats what those paparazzi you see are doing. na expo i dey give dem now,if you get sense you go understand dis my simple expo.buy a camera and start paparazzing.thats you getting your own content direct.

1 Like

Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 12:31am On Jun 26, 2013
This is my own take on blogging.

If you want to go into blogging you need alot of resources or be ready to wait.

A blog or website can not just get popular over night and because of our so called GURU'S as brainwash the brain of the new bloggers that they can make MILLIONS just blogging, that is why we have so many blogs now.

You can blog with the aim of not making money and eventually make more money, i could remember a blog then by a working class banker all she does is to blog about 'WHEN YOU ARE MINE' soap on AIT, she gives all the details of what happens in every episode and YOUTUBE was not that popular then, my sisters use to visit that blog then if they miss the program, they visit even if they watch the episode.

Also you can not fault the new bloggers it also because of this popular bloggers showing of their wealth in public, most of which i consider FAKE. why have they not help OJB if them they make that much, they are the one reporting the stories? they make headlines from it like DONJASSY DONATE 1million, 2face did not donate 1.5Million has claim e.t.c

MY advice to new bloggers

If you want to blog about Entertainment and gossip in Nigeria you must be ready to spend MONEY and use many resources(SEO e.t.c) and as at this this does not guarantee success.

do not come here posting your blog link on nairaland only to make the front page

Get yourself ready for the business of the day.

3 Likes

Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Pins(m): 12:46am On Jun 26, 2013
mueller: Afam has said it all: the challenge is originality. There is nothing wrong with trying to make money while blogging, but how original is the content on your blog? I started blogging over two months ago on entrepreneurship but before that I had spent years studying the topic and even at that I still have to work hard to come up with something original. I'm an 8 to 5 worker as well but by making my blog a weekly affair, I am able to pace myself, read, write and research and come up with something original. If you blog for the sake of money alone, and not because you want to share a part of yourself, the interest will wane with time and you'll be an also-ran.
Not all blogs in nigeria are entertainment blogs like linda ikeji and bella naija.my blog is on technology and business.i chose two niches because i have passion for both.And by God's grace have been developing original contents.SO if u want to have a good blog,choose something u have passion for and it will help u research more on it both on-net and off-net.
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by UyiIredia(m): 2:23am On Jun 26, 2013
@ OP: Noted.

1 Like

Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by prymesolution: 2:30am On Jun 26, 2013
As a new blogger (started blogging about 3 months ago), I know first hand how challenging it is to get young Nigerians subscribe to a blog that isn't about gossip. I'm absolutely certain that I can't compete in the celebrity gossip niche even if I try. Unfortunately, there seem to be a market for these blogs in Nigeria.

The question is - what kind of information does the average Nigerian youth user care about? Based on internet usage, one can tell it is entertainment (celebrity gossip), soccer, some politics, and some controversial religious/social issues. As long as there is a demand for these issues, there will always be blogs about them.

I blog about issues that I care about - world news (I'd have to admit that I do copy and paste sometimes, but cite my sources), opinion, some tech news, and inspirational. I soon found out that my inspirational posts don't do so well on NL. However the odd news section does fairly well (a few posts made the front page).

Regarding blogging for quick money, the trend is not specific to blogging. How many musicians do we have now? Folks see the likes of D'banj, P-Square, Tuface.....and they want to become musicians, sign some huge recording contract, and start making "big money." In the US, people become nurses because they've been told Nurses make good money. It's just that mentally of "rush to the next big money-making venture." Trust me, if folks understood how to develop and maintain a internet forums, there would have lots of other Nairaland-wannabes.

Copy and paste isn't limited to Nigerian blogs neither, lots of tech/how-to blogs in the India/Pakistan region do copy and paste as well. I wonder if their entertainment blogs are any different.
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by richiet: 2:48am On Jun 26, 2013
The truth is you can't blog without doing copy and paste unless you are bloggging on personal stuffs. I started blooging a month ago and realised that all the entertainment blogs copy from linda. So it was a nice read to see that someone else actually noticed this trend.
But I want to say that its not everybody that knows about linda ikeji so if you copy and paste and those people gets the news, I don't think it is bad in any way. I blog on politics and opinions and they writers of these opinion would love people to read their stuffs, so am helping them get their stuffs to a wider audience.
As for the money, I haven't started making it but I would keep blogging whether it comes or not because I have built some faithful readers of my blog
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by dayokanu(m): 3:50am On Jun 26, 2013
Can I know if there are any soccer blogs yet in Nigeria especially for European leagues to discuss tactics and not the regular complete Sports nonsense

And Jarus How dem dey hammer from blogs? Cos I see say your cheeks don dey comot nowadays that means say some Gbemu don dey show

1 Like

Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by hoyehchemm: 4:14am On Jun 26, 2013
mavtrevor:

That defies the essence of blogging then, curation maybe but blogging no. Google actually has a way of dealing with plagiarism and that is why many of such blogs can never rank in search engines, most of them were actually hit by Penguin 2.0 cos Google knows who published first and thats why i will always advise bloggers to claim their Google authorship. If you dont have content to write, you could simply do microblogging with Tumblr than copying someone's work to your blog.

Please how do you get Google Authorship for your blog cos I have one or 2 blogs out there. I think the problem with blogging is that it takes patience and time to build which the average person don't have.
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 4:17am On Jun 26, 2013
dayokanu: Can I know if there are any soccer blogs yet in Nigeria especially for European leagues to discuss tactics and not the regular complete Sports nonsense

And Jarus How dem dey hammer from blogs? Cos I see say your cheeks don dey comot nowadays that means say some Gbemu don dey show

You can check out sportsdey.com or futbolgist.com
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by AyeeIdris(f): 4:22am On Jun 26, 2013
Entertainment Blogs had Always annoyed me because most times I had already read the news on Nairaland or on Yahoo. AtleasT they should take time to edit the words. I have even seen blogs with the same headings as Linda Ikeji. No originality. Then I stumbled upon blogs like tls. which has some of the best fictions I have ever read and gistdotcom which is so entertaining and original that I believe there is hope for blogging in Nigeria. They encouraged me to start a blog too(which is so 100 percent original). I would love to read a blog on photography taken in unique locations in different parts of the country, but I don't think it would ever be popular as "two headed baby born in Lagos" or "Rita Dominic's outfit. Hot or Not?" So when the Nigerian audience is ready for more authentic contents, the proliferation will end. Until then, we are stuck with that hot or not garbage.

2 Likes

Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by kentornic: 4:45am On Jun 26, 2013
Mehn!!! Nice topic...I dey feel the blog craze too...toomuch crappy blogs with poor designs, copy and paste contents e.t.c

Instead of visiting all these blogs, i just go to www.whatshot.com.ng (a digg.com like social bookmarking site that gives m e the best n most interesting web n blog stories in nigeria at any given time)and after that i'm back to my dearest nairaland front page.
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by question(m): 5:00am On Jun 26, 2013
googlepikin: dey do get tied of the whole thing and just dump the website. i dont know if dey see all those paparazzi in america and europe following celebs around 24/7 what do they think those guys are trying to snap, what stop our bloggers from following our celebs to some nasty things they do and take pictures of them entering maybe a canteen with plate or a pool office then upload it to your computer and create a writeup about the pictures,thats what those paparazzi you see are doing. na expo i dey give dem now,if you get sense you go understand dis my simple expo.buy a camera and start paparazzing.thats you getting your own content direct.

Some bloggers buy stories, pictures or videos from freelance paparazzis.
Some copy/paste weird stories from the internet media.
Some reincarnate old, stale stories as if it just happened yesterday.
Some carry unconfirmed rumour and malicious gossip. Causing unnecessary damages to the Celebs or even themselves.
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Davidoff2000: 5:21am On Jun 26, 2013
mine comin soon. watchout
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by RuuDie(m): 5:32am On Jun 26, 2013
In many regards, this prolifereation is bad; the few "serious", noteworthy blogs may just get drowned in the crowd and hardly get the notice they deserve.

I keep a blog because of my passion for poetry plus I want to keep all my writes in one place and also sample public opinion preparatory to the time when I am able to muster enough courage to take that bold step and publish. Been on it since late 2010 or thereabouts.
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by lordspiritual(m): 5:52am On Jun 26, 2013
most blog sites in nigeria are all about gossip and entertainment, but elnathanjohn..com (if you remember the 'nigerian god' story) really has this funny and interactive way of passing his messages accross mostly about current political affairs and his dream to become president in 2015 (very hilarious)..and his 'how to series'...really love that blog and would recommend it to everyone.. http://elnathanjohn..com

1 Like

Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by zangiff(m): 6:50am On Jun 26, 2013
this thread iS good
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by yuncka: 7:01am On Jun 26, 2013
Welldone Afam4eva, unfortunately someone will still lift this article 2 other blogs....
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by shyvicky: 7:04am On Jun 26, 2013
sharap!!!what is nairaland doing if not copying peoples news and pics and pasting it with links,and u paople will comment,u want me to open a political,pics or mathematics site,will it generate trafick for me?do u know that i buy data plans and site do work on my site,then at the end no trafick,oga i better join the band wagon,if u cant beat them....

4 Likes

Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by TeenageMoney(m): 7:08am On Jun 26, 2013
Nigerians are Abusing The Blogging Right!!! Expecially the so-called Entertainment Bloggers!!!
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Jarus(m): 7:21am On Jun 26, 2013
dayokanu: Can I know if there are any soccer blogs yet in Nigeria especially for European leagues to discuss tactics and not the regular complete Sports nonsense

O serious iwo bobo yi grin

Actually, I've not started making money from my blog and I don't expect to make money in the first year. Successful blogs all over the world take time to mature and gather followership.

Ways of making money from blogging include Google adsense programme, selling custom advert slots, selling ebooks, or rendering some services for a premium. However, you need to concentrate on building loyal and substantial followership before thinking of money.

Linda Ikeji is Nigeria's biggest blog and I heard figures that range between 1m-4m as her monthly income from the blog. Big, world class blogs like Huffington Post, Mashable etc earn up to $1m per month (that's 150m naira).

My primary aim is to share information and idea and help others. I'm not thinking of money in the short term. I want to make the blog to career, what Linda Ikeji is to entertainment. But in the long term, if I earn from the blog 80% of what my 8-5 oil and gas job pays me on monthly, I will resign to face the blog full-time.
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Nelton(m): 7:21am On Jun 26, 2013
When I started blogging in 2009 I did mainly for fun. I love writing and felt blogging was a way of penning down my thoughts. I only got to know that you could actually earn money through blogging just a while back. I know, Nigerians love to join the bandwagon and seeing that Linda makes lots of money from blogging, everybody wants to blog. However, there are some blogs that you see and you know that this person is doing this because he/she has the passion for it. Not some dude that will visit the front page of nairaland and copy any story that they feel is interesting word for word. It so annoying and totally defeats the essence of blogging. I do hope that someday Nigerians would stop this their follow follow attitude and learn to be more creative.

1 Like

Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by flosychick7: 7:22am On Jun 26, 2013
kentornic: Mehn!!! Nice topic...I dey feel the blog craze too...toomuch crappy blogs with poor designs, copy and paste contents e.t.c

Instead of visiting all these blogs, i just go to www.whatshot.com.ng (a digg.com like social bookmarking site that gives m e the best n most interesting web n blog stories in nigeria at any given time)and after that i'm back to my dearest nairaland front page.
I love the concept behind this whatshot.com.ng, guess users can submit blog/web pages they own or find interesting like you can do in digg. it will really help bloggers with unique n useful content drive more traffic to their stories. i can see they hav a good number of visitors. they should guide against spammers if they want to be around for long
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 7:28am On Jun 26, 2013
Jarus:

O serious iwo bobo yi grin

Linda Ikeji is Nigeria's biggest blog and I heard figures that range between 1m-4m as her monthly income from the blog. Big, world class blogs like Huffington Post, Mashable etc earn up to $1m per month (that's 150m naira).

My primary aim is to share information and idea and help others. I'm not thinking of money in the short term. I want to make the blog to career, what Linda Ikeji is to entertainment. But in the long term, if I earn from the blog 80% of what my 8-5 oil and gas job pays me on monthly, I will resign to face the blog full-time.
shocked shocked

Linda don hammer be that o. Patience is surely key in venturing into the blogosphere.
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Jarus(m): 7:30am On Jun 26, 2013
Kingsley OGBITI: @ Jarus please what s the name of the foreign site please.
Mashable.com - world's second biggest blog.

Cpfinance.com
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Jarus(m): 7:33am On Jun 26, 2013
CFCfan:
shocked shocked

Linda don hammer be that o. Patience is surely key in venturing into the blogosphere.

Interestingly, she doesn't have half nairaland followership, and she makes more money than Nairaland. See calibre of entities advertising on her blog: GTB, Dangote, Airtel etc. An ad space on her blog, I heard, can be up to 1m.
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Godson201333(m): 7:34am On Jun 26, 2013
Alot of them are not making senses with fake news eg,yabaleft,pakurumo blog,jaguda many more..
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by everyday: 7:35am On Jun 26, 2013
You are right.I thought i was the only one complaining of this until i saw your post.Nigerians should appreciate the need of having original content on their blogs.It will also help increase their search rankings rather than being copy cats
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by maclatunji: 7:36am On Jun 26, 2013
Funny opening post. I believe I have the formula for standing out of the crowd of bloggers. I have been blogging for 5 years so there is little you are talking about that I have not seen.

I always laugh when people add *wink* to the description to their blog as if that is what will drive traffic.
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Oahray: 7:38am On Jun 26, 2013
The way some people go about it is just bad.

How can someone open a thread on NL, write something as silly as "Tonto Dikeh kisses Whizkid. See it here." and post the link to his blog which is 0.1% original? angry
Annoying, I tell you. They just want traffic and money.
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Jarus(m): 7:43am On Jun 26, 2013
lord.spiritual:
most blog sites in nigeria are all about gossip and entertainment, but elnathanjohn..com (if you remember the 'nigerian god' story) really has this funny and interactive way of passing his messages accross mostly about current political affairs and his dream to become president in 2015 (very hilarious)..and his 'how to series'...really love that blog and would recommend it to everyone.. http://elnathanjohn..com
Yes, I once bumped into that blog. Very hilarious.
Re: The Proliferation Of Blogs - Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 7:46am On Jun 26, 2013
Jarus:

Interestingly, she doesn't have half nairaland followership, and she makes more money than Nairaland. See calibre of entities advertising on her blog: GTB, Dangote, Airtel etc. An ad space on her blog, I heard, can be up to 1m.

Seun has to do something to make Nairaland more visible. NL has the potential to rival HuffingtonPost.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Someone Is Trying To Hack My Blog, What Do I Do? / Web Design Trends That Will Be Common In 2014 / 9 Questions To Ask Your Web Designer After Handing Over Your Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.