Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,611 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Nigerians And Fake Accent - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians And Fake Accent (38446 Views)

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' / Nigerian Accent, The 5th Sexiest In The World. / Uk Student Visa And Fake Bank Statements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Sweetlemon(f): 7:25pm On Jun 30, 2013
Some people are funny sha o!
Who told you an American will not understand you in your normal Nigerian accent? If you can understand them why can't they understand you? See me see trouble o!
Although I'm more conscious about my grammar when I'm around oyibos, I still speak with my normal accent and they understand me as well as I understand them.
The only time they won't understand you is when you are not speaking correct English or when you add too much 9ja slangs.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by MichaelSokoto(m): 7:29pm On Jun 30, 2013
ZACHIE: The most annoying one is the folks that acquire a new accent when they join a new church .
Oya kill lome
*In Pastor Chris voice*, "oh reeeaaalllyy? Give Jeeeeesus a biiiiiiig haaaaaaannnd"!
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Afam4eva(m): 7:36pm On Jun 30, 2013
A-town:

No. You are the wrong one. The Germans and Italians you speak of were immigrants!!!
So were the English. The only people native to America are the Indians.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Sweetlemon(f): 7:41pm On Jun 30, 2013
delors: Siddon there. Look, it's not a matter of fake accent o. As the OP says, our pronunciation and way of drawling when talking is terrible. For instance, a typical Nigerian doesnt know the difference in pronouncing 'cause' and 'course', 'four' and 'for', 'to' and 'two', and annoyingly, 'fate' and 'faith'. Sit down and listen to a Nigerian talking, try to see if u would understand their pronunciation of those last two words. Words like turkey, burn/born, wander/wonder, are very problematic for Nigerians. Even Ethiopians pronounce better than we do.
So, if you are abroad, and because some uninformed persons are saying you r faking your accent, let them talk. the best way to communicate abroad (esp in the states and Canada) is to sound like them. When u are with your people, correct, pidgin dey flow soosay, but looking for a job? mingling with the whites or foreigners? Bros, adjust that your accent otherwise, you'd be an island in that land.
When i first heard my aunt speak a sentence to a white, I mocked saying why the heck was she yarning like ajebo...she nodded and said 'e nu e lo wa yen' (meaning, u'll soon understand). So forget fake accent o, na survival tactics.
Mean while, in some cases, one doesnt deliberately fake it, it comes naturally when u mingle with these foreigners..like mine. But it makes no sense to sound Americana when u arrive in Nigeria na...na quick invitation to armed robbers be that.
Survival tacticts ko, suffering tactics ni!
It's simply low self esteem. Finish!
You guys have NO idea how funny you sound when you fake accents. Who told you that you cannot speak good and correct English with your own accent? Juust pronouce your words properly and you will do just fine!
Smh

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by gogodaye(m): 8:08pm On Jun 30, 2013
Its just insecure Nigerians with an overhang of high dosage of inferiority complex that take to speaking with fake adopted accents. This is evident amongst our sisters. It accounts for the reason I don't tune~in to Tv & radio stations, its worst at the airport from the ladies at the PA system down to the crew members taking passengers through the pre~flight safety drills, the list is endless. I met a 'diasporan' academic who had lived well over 30 years in the US & still spoke his Eng/Lang well.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Samscofield: 8:33pm On Jun 30, 2013
Well. Who says one can't be in Nigeria and still speak correct, polised and well accented English. All one needs is a very good knowledge of the phonetic symbols and how they are properly pronounced either in isolation or in combination. A good Dictionary and Teacher would do the Job. The essence of learning English as a foreign language is to be able to communicate and if "Ultimately" one is able to speak like the original owner of the language, it will be a plus and ofcourse a welcome developement. In my opinion, faking accents is neither good nor bad. If it serves the purpose which is "communication", then there is no big deal. Imagine a Brit speaking any of the three major Nigerian languages , Hausa, Igbo or Yoruba with the correct accents, how will You feel? Finally, what ever is worth doing, is worth doing well. My opinion.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by ozoemeka(m): 10:34pm On Jun 30, 2013
apache77: I always hear people say Nigerians who travel abroad always come back with a fake accent, even if its only one month they spend in London or America. Is this true? Do Nigerians try to speak like foreigners?

What i think is that the biggest problem you face the minute you step into obodo oyinbo apart from the cold is your accent. Our accent is so thick foreigners cant make out head or tail what we are trying to say. So from immigration right to your next door neigbour, you struggle to communicate- nobody hears's your type of English. Our slow drawl is a big problem, not just to Americans or british but even to arabs and asians.

The quickest way to be heard is trying to speak like these people (americans or Brits) who cant hear you. Asians and arabs ahve grown up watching american movies and mingling with the Brits, so their ( Brits or American) type of accent is hearable and hence universal-much like the dollar is the globally accepted currency everywhere. So for you to be heard, you a naija boy or girl just stepping into America must speak like them.

Over time, if you stay there long enough, you start speaking like these people and substitute your Naija accent for theirs. Some people manage to retain their naiaja accent and use that when home only to switch to their americana accent when they go back.

Do you agree with me? or there is a more profound reason? Share your thoughts

OMG I watched an interview with Iyanya and he switched from half "abuja" accent to "lagos" accent, to British ..YET ... he pronounced Miami as ME-YAMI

Watch the mess..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se0qoNO229g
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by ozoemeka(m): 10:36pm On Jun 30, 2013
Lilimax: I detest fake accents. I only speak their accent(American) when I'm in their midst but always speak my Nigerian English(especially pidgin)when I'm in the midst of my Nigerian friends. There is no need of faking it... smiley

You know the worst? Bastards with the scars and RATCHET razz look you can CLEARLY tell just got off a plane and you try to be "brotherly" and speak "nigerian" with them and they want to form? Like really dude, I AM american, I just have nigerian in me so quit that $hit Ugh
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by ozoemeka(m): 10:39pm On Jun 30, 2013
Originalsly: Instead of faking an accent it is better you practice speaking correct English and speak clearly.Fake American accent was one of the main reasons that turned people away from Nollywood movies in the US.Fake accents should be kept within Nigeria...it can work here...not abroad. In one sentence you can hear these idiots change from a New York to a Southern to some version of a UK accent....and they think they are doing great!What would you think of a person who begins speaking to you in Igbo accent that changes to Yoruba accent and ends up the sentence with thick Hausa accent?

Nigerians ALWAYS want to be like someone else BUT themselves.. MALAYSIAN hair (really, Malaysia is like a 7th world country), BRITISH accent etc. MEANWHILE..the nigerian accent is picked as the 5th most sexiest accent in the world....Full of wannabes - tonto dikeh, jim iyke, even the new Olamide song with Dbanj the kid did "FURst" of all..like dude we liked your song before because it sounded razz.

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/worlds-sexiest-accents-130333
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by ozoemeka(m): 10:40pm On Jun 30, 2013
Sweetlemon: Some people are funny sha o!
Who told you an American will not understand you in your normal Nigerian accent? If you can understand them why can't they understand you? See me see trouble o!
Although I'm more conscious about my grammar when I'm around oyibos, I still speak with my normal accent and they understand me as well as I understand them.
The only time they won't understand you is when you are not speaking correct English or when you add too much 9ja slangs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBHX35H-jwk

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by ozoemeka(m): 10:53pm On Jun 30, 2013
Afam4eva:

http://nigeriamusicbox.com/jim-iyke-blasted-by-kenyan-author-for-fake-accent/
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jun 30, 2013
Afam4eva:

There is no use repeating what everyone knows. As far as we are concerned, the language spoken in America is English. (at least until kokoyes get their way with Spanish as a second language).

Back to the topic. The only time you are forming is when you are trying to impress your fellow Nigerians. Any other inference na WASH
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jun 30, 2013
Sweetlemon: Some people are funny sha o!

What you do not realize is that your diction and tone may be different. If you grew up watching MTV, B.E.T, lived in Lagos, Abuja, PH or the more modern naija cities, you probably already adopted a little bit without knowing it. On the other hand, there are people who live in the remote areas that have HEAVY accents. Trust me, ERRRBODY complains about that shit. Quit deceiving yourself. No be for this same America. You need to see how they make fun of the heavy accent. Somebody said sexy accent. Ol boy free me oo. The accent Is only as sexy as the person speaking it. If you are Djimon Hounsou, of course your accent will be sexy.

I live in the real world. A world where Nigerians have been denied promotions/public speaking simply because of the thick accents.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Godogwu: 1:09am On Jul 01, 2013
Anvaller:

Do u think u are actually accurate with ur comments here? Now u are talking of grammar and phonetics? All these people u have mentioned here... let me exclude (Genevive and Omotola) have one time or the other sojourned abroad. And if Omotola and Genevive were not celebrities, they wouldn't speak such improved English they are speaking cos they still make international travels and appearances. And again,it will be very awkward for them to speak a foreign accent when they represent a Nigerian public office... Even Banky W an entertainer speaks Nigerian accent cos he represnts a Nigerian Brand but back in America he speaks American that's just it.. Now the group of people that obey the rules of phonetics the most in Nigeria are some of the News casters and I appreciate them, they are not adopting accent, they are just applying phonetics, even if they still sound Nigerian, they are not misplacing the stress on each words and that is the most important.

But do u want to tell me that is the way u speak? U speak like a news caster with ur friends and families at home huh? and they wont ask u "wetin dey do am wey dey form? abeg open ur mouth well jare, wetin be baenk instead of bahnk (bank)" So that is actually our problem.. Its not about not being proud of who u are, it's about ppl thinking u are forming and the next thing is to tear u down.

I understand your point perfectly. I always speak pidgin or "less" polished English around my friends regardless of our backgrounds. I can however not speak that way around my parents or their friends Never!, not after all the school fees my parents have paid. For me it basically depends on the crowd your around. I've been studying in the US for about 3 years and I don't just see myself faking an accent. I even detest the way Americans speak... And even when I do presentations and things like that i speak like every learned Nigerian does. People even say i have a sort of British accent but then weren't we colonized by the Brits?. If you watch very old videos dating to like the 50s or 60s and listen to the Nigerian accent then, you'll see great similarities. Nevertheless at this time alot of Nigerians have different accents, like you can't pick it out.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Godogwu: 1:11am On Jul 01, 2013
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by kpolli(m): 10:13am On Jul 01, 2013
Speak for ur self poster, but my accent is already clear enough for them to understand.... I don't need to fake theirs
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by ArewaWarrior: 1:35pm On Jul 01, 2013
I love fake accents... they are the most entertaining thing ever. The folk that speak in such tones are as entertaining as Gorillas that can back flip.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Ikengawo: 5:11pm On Jul 01, 2013
PeeDaVinci: i think 2 different issues are being mixed up here - faking an accent and learning a new accent (and maybe, a new diction) to make yourself more understandable to some set of people.
one simple difference between the two is that, the former is based on assumption of the accent of a set of people based on movies you have seen, while the later is acquired by interacting with the set of pple using the accent

You can't learn a new accent. You can learn how enunciate better so that you're more understood across the board but you can't switch accents

you can either sound like an articulate Nigeria
or an illiterate Nigeria

but you'll never sound like a brit or an american. It's scientifically impossible and unnessecary. Nobody, not matter where they're from, who understands English will have a heard time understand Wole Soyinka Sanusi Lamido Sanusi or Chimamanda Adichie. These are articulate Nigerians, they speak very clearly but they still have thick notable accents.

compare the stature of these human beings to the ones that fake accents. Tonto Dike, Jim Iyke, Sauce kid.

some times you have to understand there are levels of functioning in life.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Ikengawo: 5:13pm On Jul 01, 2013
ozo_emeka:

Nigerians ALWAYS want to be like someone else BUT themselves.. MALAYSIAN hair (really, Malaysia is like a 7th world country), BRITISH accent etc. MEANWHILE..the nigerian accent is picked as the 5th most sexiest accent in the world....Full of wannabes - tonto dikeh, jim iyke, even the new Olamide song with Dbanj the kid did "FURst" of all..like dude we liked your song before because it sounded razz.

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/worlds-sexiest-accents-130333

lol ! so true. smh.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by linclon(f): 6:34am On Jul 02, 2013
Afam, you might be the one suffering with inferiority complex. Your mindest is soo....
Afam4eva:
It's still called faking and inferiority complex.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by mruknaijaboy(m): 7:47am On Jul 02, 2013
A-town:

If you grew up watching MTV, B.E.T, lived in Lagos, Abuja, PH or the more modern naija cities, you probably already adopted a little bit without knowing it.

kids in london grew up watching MTV, BET and other popular american channels and shows but they dont adopt any american accent, its inferiority complex which makes nigerians to talk in a american/english accent when they were not raised in america/britain, nigerian accent is beautiful and nigerians need to be more proud and embrace it especially nigerian celebrities as they are rolemodels and people tend to aslow what they do, all these fake nigerian celebrities like Freeze, Lynxxx, Iyanya, Wizkid, Ice Prince, Tonto Dike, Toke Makinwa and others need to stop with the fake accents, its phony and also downgrades the value of the nigeriam accent

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by vanitty: 7:06pm On Jul 02, 2013
The "real" English belongs to the British
If we must conform, then every other nationality needs to speak the Queen English! The Aussies, the Americans, the Nigerians!

It is very rare to see a Nigerian speak the "Queen English" - regardless of you being born in Uk as far as your parents were brought up in Nigeria.

In cases I have seen a black person will only have the "real" British accent if at least 2 generations prior to him/her have lived in the country or you were public schooled here and you are far removed from the "Nigeria" society - church, parties, friends etc

So what say we! Talk clearly! Don't force it. Have you ever a Scottish person speak? I rest my case

It is always always Nigerians that needs to fit in. No other nationalities seems to care. They will even tell you I am sorry, my English might not be clear enough for you to understand

You just mistakenly tell a Nigerian anything deemed negative about his/her english, you have an enemy for life niyen!
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Anvaller: 12:03am On Jul 03, 2013
Ikengawo:

You can't learn a new accent. You can learn how enunciate better so that you're more understood across the board but you can't switch accents

you can either sound like an articulate Nigeria
or an illiterate Nigeria

but you'll never sound like a brit or an american. It's scientifically impossible and unnessecary.

U really don't know what u are talking about, u don't even know much about English in the 1st place given the quality of ur grammar here. U are saying rubbish stuff like it is scientifically impossible to learn an accent when there are professional accent coaches. Why do u think that most Europeans (e.g Germans, Dutch and the Scandinavians) speak English without strong accent like urs? they don't just learn to speak English grammar alone, they pay incredible emphasis on the accent. Hence the reason why they employ only native English Speakers as English teachers. Are they ashamed to be who they are? If u immigrate to an English speaking country.. u will be advised to visit language centers where u will be coached to speak English without accent as an essential part of integration (in short, how to speak their type of English) so if all these things exist and u are talking of scientific impossibility, u are scarily uninformed?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by jpphilips(m): 10:24am On Jul 28, 2013
Elmos:
I reside in North East of United State, the accent here is far different from those from the south. I could speak like British but, even with my years of staying here in US i Can not speak with their accent, I have decided to stick to my Nigerian way of speaking, they too should learn how to speak like me. Initially, it was difficult, with my degree from Nigeria some were asking me if I speak English, such questions made me then furious, but with time I understand that they could not understand my accent. Also so many things are not call the same thing, what you call booth of your car here is call something else same apply to many things, I once wrote in my business card, " Adjacent to" I was advised to changed it to "OPPOSITE TO" Tell somebody to Reverse his or her car here, will be wasting your time for they will not understand. If you stay very close to the ORIGINAL black American, particularly the uneducated ones, it would be worse talking to them, they simply don't talk they literally sing, everything to them is slang. One keep saying to me " Hi fuuu" I was agree with him while will he be calling me fool, but later I realized he was actually me " Hi folk"

ok there was this my oga way back when i was in the world.
he has this thick igbotic accent, then he was our laison guy for CVL projects, being Americans, they had a hard time understanding the guy so each time they are in a meeting perhaps, tool box or update, there is this constant, (''come again, sorry, excuse me et al'').

so one bad day for the project team lead he (as a warning to the igbotic guy) said
''im in no mood for your mumba rubblings today, pray you are not asked to speak''

The Nigerian replied '' sir, though you think you sound so cool with your American accent, we still say the same things but we pronounce diff. now, you dont expect me to change dat simply because some white charlatans came to suck oil from my backyard, get used to it''

now everyone was shocked to tranquility.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by jpphilips(m): 10:54am On Jul 28, 2013
A-town:

What you do not realize is that your diction and tone may be different. If you grew up watching MTV, B.E.T, lived in Lagos, Abuja, PH or the more modern naija cities, you probably already adopted a little bit without knowing it. On the other hand, there are people who live in the remote areas that have HEAVY accents. Trust me, ERRRBODY complains about that shit. Quit deceiving yourself. No be for this same America. You need to see how they make fun of the heavy accent. Somebody said sexy accent. Ol boy free me oo. The accent Is only as sexy as the person speaking it. If you are Djimon Hounsou, of course your accent will be sexy.

I live in the real world. A world where Nigerians have been denied promotions/public speaking simply because of the thick accents.

who told you portharcourt is a modern city? what yardstick did you employ to fabricate such fallacious opinion?
portharcourt is a village with plastic vehicles roaming the broken unplanned streets.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by MrMac10(m): 7:27am On Dec 23, 2013
Jobless folks
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 3:17am On Dec 24, 2013
As the say goes FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Ugosample(m): 10:57am On Sep 19, 2016
Anvaller:

Okay there u said "detect" that means they sound more american now that u only have to "detect" elements of Jamaican or some carribean inflection in the way they speak for u to know tha they don't originally have the american accent.. most of them do not speak english exactly in the accent the folks at home speak..

About the Scottish accent.. Look ppl, why are we over-whipping this issue, What u have said there can not in most cases apply to Scots that have lived most or many years of their lives somewhere else. So that is not a point here. Somebody also referred to Italians.. well, there are many Italians in America that sounds very as american as possible. So what's the point?

Another person said "the white man don't want to speak like us so why do we have to speak like them..." Well this is not a rational reasoning. We Africans, blacks are always in a situation where we are at the mercy of these white folks.. u want to get their job, u want to live in their country, u want to survive within their system so what sense does it make to question why they don't speak like u speak when they come to ur country? Do they have to? When they are not at ur mercy for their survival? In fact that point is immediately defeated when u speak English and not ur local language abroad.

If u do not like or u are not able to adopt an accent,, its okay but stop running those that want to down or criticizing them if they can do it properly..

GOD BLESS YOU.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by CookieBrown: 12:30pm On Sep 25, 2016
apache77:
I always hear people say Nigerians who travel abroad always come back with a fake accent, even if its only one month they spend in London or America. Is this true? Do Nigerians try to speak like foreigners?

What i think is that the biggest problem you face the minute you step into obodo oyinbo apart from the cold is your accent. Our accent is so thick foreigners cant make out head or tail what we are trying to say. So from immigration right to your next door neigbour, you struggle to communicate- nobody hears's your type of English. Our slow drawl is a big problem, not just to Americans or british but even to arabs and asians.

The quickest way to be heard is trying to speak like these people (americans or Brits) who cant hear you. Asians and arabs ahve grown up watching american movies and mingling with the Brits, so their ( Brits or American) type of accent is hearable and hence universal-much like the dollar is the globally accepted currency everywhere. So for you to be heard, you a naija boy or girl just stepping into America must speak like them.

Over time, if you stay there long enough, you start speaking like these people and substitute your Naija accent for theirs. Some people manage to retain their naiaja accent and use that when home only to switch to their americana accent when they go back.

Do you agree with me? or there is a more profound reason? Share your thoughts

There is something fundamentally wrong with being Nigerian. A back man now has to apologize for speaking or trying to speak proper English? How does speaking proper English (Pseudo American, British or even plain old good English) make a black man less than a European or higher than an African? What most people don't understand yet is that people who nag about inferiority complex are actually those who suffer from it. After all, if you feel intimidated by someone who sounds more intelligent than you, then you are in fact inferior.

Thing is, most folks on here insulting the so called "fake accent Nigerians" will be the first to switch accent at the port of entry of any foreign Airport, yes! I've seen it over and over again. Most will speak proper English in the presence of Europeans (or anyone of a lighter skin tone) and then switch to improper English when talking with other Nigerians, does that make sense to anyone on here?

The reason Nigerians have an accent is because of the language interference, and it's okay, there's nothing wrong with it and there's nothing wrong with trying to speak good English. For heaven's sake, English is not our native language, no shame in having an accent or trying to improve on it, no man should ever be apologetic for trying to develop himself. Nigerians spend hard currency just to take the IELTS, TOFEL and other such exams, simply because we fail to speak proper English, then after getting a great score in these exams, we still go back to speaking improper English? Does that make any sense?

Listen to and watch the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGSRa6KE_rg

That's a Gowon in the army in 1970, 1970 for heaven's sake (Note, Army officers didn't even attend universities then and now). There's a reason we are where we are as a country today.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 7:02pm On Feb 02, 2017
Afam4eva:

Pls who are these native English speakers. Is it the British, Americans, Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders. Why don't Americans, Canadians, Australians speak and pronounce words like the native English speakers? Why must Nigerians now do that?
they are all native English speaking countries
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 7:05pm On Feb 02, 2017
its true grin and they will be proud to claim they have an "American like accent.
Stop.The Nigerian accent is fine.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Ugosample(m): 7:15pm On Feb 02, 2017
Lol grin

Someone has gone to resurrect this thread again grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

'I Saw The Corpse Of Missing 3-Year-Old Boy At The Lagos Tanker Explosion Scene' / Lady Who Had A Horrible Accident On Her Way To See A Man, Reflects 1 Year After / Visit To The Osun Osogbo Sacred Grove In Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.