Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,415 members, 7,822,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Nigerians And Fake Accent - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians And Fake Accent (38452 Views)

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' / Nigerian Accent, The 5th Sexiest In The World. / Uk Student Visa And Fake Bank Statements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by slex(m): 8:24pm On Jun 29, 2013
poster i am in agreement with you
even where i am trust your Nigerian girls and guy;forming fake accent with me that has been abroad years before they came to join me.

So i start to wonder, AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT DOESNT HAVE AN ACCENT?

definitely the way you speak or should i say pronounce some words will change but when you her this fakers you wont understand a damn thing they saying
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Diasporan(m): 8:24pm On Jun 29, 2013
drake2005: [b]It's easy to detect fake if you are a Nigerian who has lived in America for a while and probably went to school there and understand the language a lot better. When a Nigerian is faking it, we can tell. You can fake British but can never fake American to native speakers. Here is why? American english is built on jaw, mouth; tongue movement and their distinctive vowel and consonant sounds. The tongue is the most noticeable part of the mouth that American utilize often. Here is why? If a Nigerian is not sticking out his/her tongue out in saying voiced and unvoiced "th" sounds as in the, three, thought, think, with, and many others; RIGHT THERE, He doesn't know the language enough well and is just faking it. Why? 99% of the time, American native speakers will never understand what he/she is saying. You must stick out your tongue saying these sounds and takes time to get used to it and doing subconsciously. And understanding the difference between voiced and unvoiced.

They are many instances as in "h" sound. Nigerians don't pronounce "h" until they get to learn that american; stress "h" in all their words. Another, wish is perhaps the overarching of all american sounds besides "th" is "r". American stresses "r" in every word. Nigerian fake it will pronounce car as in "ca" but native speakers and nigerians who are genuinely speaking it correctly, will say "carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".....you must roll that tongue back to pronounce the "r".

To Nigerians faking it particularly American English, it's the "pronunciation" and not the "voice" that changes your accent. I have encountered some Nigerians speaking with pinched nose or talking like a pidgin bird to imitate whites but forgetting that it is the pronunciation that matters and not the voice. Blacks; black men in particualr have coarse voice than any other races of men...yes we do. So speak proud with that masculine voice but pronounce correctly. Obama speaks with African/black voice if you listen to him carefully but his pronunciation is what separates him and makes him an American native speaker. [/b]
Nice lesson on Phonology(Speech Production).Make me remember my University days cool cool
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Adufaye(m): 8:24pm On Jun 29, 2013
delors:
I dont think mikel fakes it...he's been in England for up to 7 years now and he converses with these people on a daily basis, what do u expect? he must have either picked it up deliberately to help his conversation or it came naturally while relating with people. Me and my Ghana friends speak pidgin eyeday like craze but when we relate to others, for the sake of understanding, we dont even know when the accent comes out. For one, they teach foreigners how to relate esp if you intend to spend more than four years in their land.
okay!
Bt na few oyinbo dy speak pidgin 4 naija,nd wen dem speak der accent stil flit wit it
Even 4 sum factory u go dy c factory woka dy use foreign accent dy folow him boss talk,africans eh una no go kil person I swear

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jun 29, 2013
Mamacita007: If u stay abroad for some time, u'll start pronouncing some words differently without knowing same thing with accent

Not necessarily true. Once you're over 18 your accent stays fixed. Age 1-14 are the formative years in accentuation and language learning in human beings. If you're past that age, you have about four-six more years to adjust your accent.
A fourteen year old who was brought up in Nnewi/Obosi in Anambra will always have a hard time in pronouncing words with "l" and "r" even if he resides in a country where they speak with a different accent.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by kolokolobi(m): 8:26pm On Jun 29, 2013
I grew up in Nigeria and of Nigerian parentage but had a father that spoke impeccable English language and Latin in tow. We listened to only bbc radio and frcn watching television for less than 8 hours a week. He thought us how to read before our classmates in the public schools we attended learnt how to get through simple words. The result is a good grasp of the English language without the noticeable Nigerian accent.
I must point out though that it is difficult not to have an accent if the English language was not the first you learnt how to speak. I only learnt the other Nigeria language i can speak now as i grew up. I say all to say it's not the accent that is really the problem, the grammar most times, with terrible accent imitations would send one rolling on the floor with laughter.
Just thinking.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by badmeat(m): 8:28pm On Jun 29, 2013
#proudly RIVERS#i speak english with ikwerre accent,I don't give a shot!
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 29, 2013
I think mine z ok dan borrowin accents.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Vincent41(m): 8:30pm On Jun 29, 2013
apache77: I always hear people say Nigerians who travel abroad always come back with a fake accent, even if its only one month they spend in London or America. Is this true? Do Nigerians try to speak like foreigners?

What i think is that the biggest problem you face the minute you step into obodo oyinbo apart from the cold is your accent. Our accent is so thick foreigners cant make out head or tail what we are trying to say. So from immigration right to your next door neigbour, you struggle to communicate- nobody hears's your type of English. Our slow drawl is a big problem, not just to Americans or british but even to arabs and asians.

The quickest way to be heard is trying to speak like these people (americans or Brits) who cant hear you. Asians and arabs ahve grown up watching american movies and mingling with the Brits, so their ( Brits or American) type of accent is hearable and hence universal-much like the dollar is the globally accepted currency everywhere. So for you to be heard, you a naija boy or girl just stepping into America must speak like them.

COME ASK OKADA PEOPLE NAA

Over time, if you stay there long enough, you start speaking like these people and substitute your Naija accent for theirs. Some people manage to retain their naiaja accent and use that when home only to switch to their americana accent when they go back.

Do you agree with me? or there is a more profound reason? Share your thoughts
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Man51ut(m): 8:30pm On Jun 29, 2013
Which people are you guys meeting that don't understand your accent?

I've never had that problem. As long as you speak clearly, people will understand you. The only thing that really tripped them was how I pronounced water, waTer, instead of waDDer.

I went to Corona and then Atlantic Hall, but I wouldn't even say they thought us how to speak well or anything.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by PatAkpos: 8:34pm On Jun 29, 2013
U won't hear, for example, a Jamaican born & brought up in Jamaica residing in the U.K or U.S speaking fake accents or a Lebanese speak fake accents. Communicating effectively is what matters even if it is with sign language.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:35pm On Jun 29, 2013
And so? Speak in any accent you can since the other party can grap what you are saying clearly, it doesn't matter
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by rottenegg: 8:37pm On Jun 29, 2013
* with heavy fake accent * What are you people talking about? How will you know I've travelled if I don't try to speak Americana! After all, it was the airport I reached before being deported! Any how you want to look at it, I can sling slang . . . . . or is it vice versa?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by drake2005: 8:39pm On Jun 29, 2013
Man_51ut: Which people are you guys meeting that don't understand your accent?

I've never had that problem. As long as you speak clearly, people will understand you. The only thing that really tripped them was how I pronounced water, waTer, instead of waDDer.

I went to Corona and then Atlantic Hall, but I wouldn't even say they thought us how to speak well or anything.

That's another way to detect someone faking American accent. Changing the pronunciation from "water" to "wadder" doesn't make it correct either; though it might get you there 80% of the time, but it is wrong. What differentiates American pronunciation of water is they pronounce the "r". The last sound that ends the word water is "r". Try stressing the "r" and you will notice that the "t" becomes silent or sounds more like what we call "flapped t"..it sounds like a "d". So focus on the "r" and leave the "t" silent. This goes the same for words like "motor", "enter" and many others.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by nenergy(m): 8:40pm On Jun 29, 2013
Diasporan:
Wait until you are embarrassed by the way you speak abroad then you can come and tell us if you are proud of it or not.For the now stay calm and enjoy the accent
That's why i love Indians and south Africans. Them no send you.lol
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jun 29, 2013
You don't have to change accents. Just pronounce your words well and you won't have any problems. Invest in good primary and secondary schools. Be attentive in English class and learn your phonetics. Wole Soyinka and Chimamanda Adichie have Nigerian accents and they are understood, so there's no need to switch anything. Stop making Tuface your mentor!
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by chreldb(m): 8:43pm On Jun 29, 2013
The key is to speak in a manner that you could be understood. Even within the so called Nigerian accent you will agree with me that some people are more articulate than others. A very good example is Prof Wole Soyinka. Will you say he is faking his accent or that he has a good command of the English Language? As far as Nigeria and all other colonies of Great Britain are concerned the epitome of the English language is the Queen's English and that is the ideal English accent. What most people don't understand is that the typical British accent is not the Queens English. Some British accents are local and unrefined such as the Newcastle or Manchester accent even to British people. So the bottom line is that some people don't fake it because they are Nigerians but they just have a good command of the language such as Soyinka. If you attended a good primary and secondary school there is the likelihood you will be more articulate than a person who attended an inferior school in Nigeria. So some people don't actually fake it because it comes naturally to them. The American accent is a different ball game all together but same applies.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by tpia5: 8:45pm On Jun 29, 2013
PeeDaVinci: i think 2 different issues are being mixed up here - faking an accent and learning a new accent (and maybe, a new diction) to make yourself more understandable to some set of people.
one simple difference between the two is that, the former is based on assumption of the accent of a set of people based on movies you have seen, while the later is acquired by interacting with the set of pple using the accent

this topic has been done to death already, if everyone stayed in their home countries there wouldnt be any accent whether fake or otherwise.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by ZACHIE: 8:45pm On Jun 29, 2013
Chillisauce: Yall have said it!
Speak well and clearly!

? accent?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by drake2005: 8:48pm On Jun 29, 2013
chreld_b: The key is to speak in a manner that you could be understood. Even within the so called Nigerian accent you will agree with me that some people are more articulate than others. A very good example is Prof Wole Soyinka. Will you say he is faking his accent or that he has a good command of the English Language? As far as Nigeria and all other colonies of Great Britain are concerned the epitome of the English language is the Queen's English and that is the ideal English accent. What most people don't understand is that the typical British accent is not the Queens English. Some British accents are local and unrefined such as the Newcastle or Manchester accent even to British people. So the bottom line is that some people don't fake it because they are Nigerians but they just have a good command of the language such as Soyinka. If you attended a good primary and secondary school there is the likelihood you will be more articulate than a person who attended an inferior school in Nigeria. So some people don't actually fake it because it comes naturally to them.

Not only Wole Soyinka. Gen. Ibrahim Babangida is the most articulate of all Nigerian past leaders besides Tafewa Balewa. He stresses and pronounces as though he has a phd in English or speech pathology.

Gen. Ibrahimm Babangida interview....watch his pronunciation skills. Yes, he has some Nigerian accent but I'm more concern about his superb pronunciation and mastery of the "th" sound.

[flash=400,425]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEiMEVhH1c4[/flash]

[flash=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGC6C4s3p0c[/flash]

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jun 29, 2013
I love Nigerian accent..
Hehe there's just something about it hehe
So there's no need of faking it..
B u

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by dasparrow: 8:49pm On Jun 29, 2013
whitecat007: My accent has stayed the same and I don't care if they understand me or not. Few people have asked me to speak slowly, that's it. Its all mischief.

See as they understand you fast the moment you ask if they need hearing aid.

The weird thing I have noticed especially with Americans is that they will pretend they don't understand what one is saying but let me cuss them out, the pretentious heifers will understand everything I said and respond back to me accordingly. They also have no qualms understanding the thickest accent in the world when they are desperate to sell a good or service to a potential customer/client. I guess when money is involved, Americans will tolerate any accent no matter how thick.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:50pm On Jun 29, 2013
Every tribe in Nigeria can go abroad, stay a little while & come back wit a foreign accent but my lovely igbo brodas & sistas are neva shy 2 always represent where dey came 4rm. I had at one time overheard an ibo guy discussin wit his friend, "bia nna, I've been 2 amelika oo, not justu been dia, I stayed dia 4 allumost 13 yearsu, what are u tellin me? Evelythin vely cold dia, I was lunnin bizunessu as if I was back at onitcha, vely vely goodu ppl dia" grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jun 29, 2013
chreld_b: The key is to speak in a manner that you could be understood. Even within the so called Nigerian accent you will agree with me that some people are more articulate than others. A very good example is Prof Wole Soyinka. Will you say he is faking his accent or that he has a good command of the English Language? As far as Nigeria and all other colonies of Great Britain are concerned the epitome of the English language is the Queen's English and that is the ideal English accent. What most people don't understand is that the typical British accent is not the Queens English. Some British accents are local and unrefined such as the Newcastle or Manchester accent even to British people. So the bottom line is that some people don't fake it because they are Nigerians but they just have a good command of the language such as Soyinka. If you attended a good primary and secondary school there is the likelihood you will be more articulate than a person who attended an inferior school in Nigeria. So some people don't actually fake it because it comes naturally to them. The American accent is a different ball game all together but same applies.

How did you know what I was thinking? Lol.
It's beats me why anyone would fake his or her accents, or switch accents. Some people think talking like a Nigerian means talking like Tuface, or opening your mouth agape just because you're talking. Or you have to be real until you talk like some of our celebrities with quasi education.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by obainojazz(m): 8:56pm On Jun 29, 2013
*speaks in spanish*..so what are you guys saying?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by dasparrow: 8:56pm On Jun 29, 2013
Doff_Man:

It goes both ways. Last time I was in America I had lunch with this lady and her (black american) boyfriend, and I could hardly hear what he was saying!

Needless to say that he wasn't any clearer after 5 brandies.

Yes it does go both ways. The American accent in my opinion is not exactly audible. Their accent sounds like someone speaking with a stuffed nose. It took me 1 whole year to understand that they were saying "stand clear the closing doors" when the door of the New York City Subway train was about to be shut. The southern USA accent is even worse. When those Southerners speak, they give me a headache. Shior!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Afam4eva(m): 9:00pm On Jun 29, 2013
Lilimax: I detest fake accents. I only speak their accent(American) when I'm in their midst but always speak my Nigerian English(especially pidgin)when I'm in the midst of my Nigerian friends. There is no need of faking it... smiley
If you're speaking American accent when you're in the midst of Americans, you're also faking it. Being fake does not only apply when you're talking to a select crowd. It's universal. If you have an Igbotic accent then you have to speak it wherever you go to be considered real.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 29, 2013
It comes pretty naturally with time to flow in a foreign accent when u in da midst of foreigners abroad. But trying to sound like the queen when u only just walked outta jfk after havin been in Oshogbo(no pun intended) for so n so yrs will certainly generate some hard comprehension and perharps some giggles as well from those u trying to communicate with...all the same da flow comes naturally with time....
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by mruknaijaboy(m): 9:10pm On Jun 29, 2013
I dont think nigerians talk in a foreign accent to sound more clear,i think they try and speak in other accents to think theyre cool and they think they will get more respect

look how many nigerian rappers who rap in a american accent and have only studied or been on holiday to america, theres Vector, Ice Prince, M.I, Lynxxx,Skales, Yung6ix, these are all people who havent spent more than 6months abroad except for M.I who studied at university in america but thats only 3 years and thats not enough to justify rapping in a american accent when your born and bred in Nigeria.

only rappers who dont rap in american accent at all are Olamide & Erigga, respect to those two for embracing Nigerian accent and culture, Phyno does american accent abit but there are alot of songs where he mixes it up with alot of igbo & pigin so respect to him too,

And there are quite a few artist/celebrities who have fake accents when they speak, Toke Makinwe,Iyanya, Ice Prince, Lynxxx,Wizkid, Dr Sid and i cant think of others right now but i always wonder why do they speak like that, do they think they will get more respect with a foreign accent?

theyre are only a few celebrities with authentic foreign accents in Nigeria, people like Seyi Shay,Emma Nyra,Toolz and others and probably a few more because they were raised in another country for the majority of their life

In the UK and USA people laugh when they hear nigerian artist rapping in a foreign accent & trying to talk in foreign accent

I think its a inferiority complexx, Nigerian musicians/celebrities should be more proud of Nigerian accent,culture and everything else that comes with it

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jun 29, 2013
All those fakers who come to London and leave London with an American accent. undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Afam4eva(m): 9:14pm On Jun 29, 2013
mruknaijaboy: I dont think nigerians talk in a foreign accent to sound more clear,i think they try and speak in other accents to think theyre cool and they think they will get more respect
You got it spot on. It's more of trying to sound cool than being coherent.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Afam4eva(m): 9:16pm On Jun 29, 2013
adaobi123: All those fakers who come to London and leave London with an American accent. undecided
Lol grin You left out the people who leave Cameroon with an American accent. No be French dem dey speak for Cameroon? grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

'I Saw The Corpse Of Missing 3-Year-Old Boy At The Lagos Tanker Explosion Scene' / Lady Who Had A Horrible Accident On Her Way To See A Man, Reflects 1 Year After / But Why Lagos People Always Behaving Like This? See Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.