Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US (1790 Views)

Buhari Lied, Boko Haram Still Holds Territory In Nigeria - US Commander / Why Obama Is Not Backing Jonathan / Reasons Why Obama Is The Devil Incarnate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by profola2be(m): 4:56am On Jun 26, 2013
2013-06-26
The United States on Tuesday hinted on the reasons why President Barack Obama won't visit Nigeria during his upcoming three-nation trip to Africa.

According to US officials, the ongoing insecurity appeared to be responsible for the exclusion of Nigeria  in Obama's second visit to the continent.

Obama is scheduled to visit Senegal, Tanzania and South Africa.

The US government said the trip would focus on trade and investment, democratic institution-building, young people, and enhancing  economic growth.

American Deputy National Security Advisor, Ben Rhodes, made this clarifications at a briefing on Tuesday.

The briefing was addressed jointly with the Senior Director for African Affairs Grant Harris and Senior Director for Development and Democracy Gayle Smith, on Obama's upcoming visit.

The text of the briefing was made available to journalists in Abuja by the Information Office of the Public Affairs Section of the US Embassy.

Rhodes said, "With respect to Nigeria, we certainly believe that Nigeria is a fundamentally important country to the future of Africa. We've put a lot of investment in the relationship with Nigeria through their leadership of ECOWAS, through the significant US business investment in Nigeria and through our security cooperation.

"Obviously, Nigeria is working through some very challenging security issues right now. And in that process, they're going to be a partner of the United States. We certainly believe we'll have an opportunity to further engage the Nigerian government through bilateral meetings going forward. But at this point, we just were not able to make it to Nigeria on this particular itinerary.

"I will say that we purposefully designed the  itineraries to be able to reach West Africa, South Africa and East Africa, and in West Africa, to visit Senegal, a French-speaking, Muslim-majority democracy that is an important partner of the United States and also provides a platform for the President to speak to the broader region.

"We are also looking at ways, at the President's town hall in South Africa with young African leaders, to draw in through technology young people in Nigeria and in Kenya, among other places, so that the President is using this trip to speak to the broader African audience. We recognize we'd like to go to as many countries as possible.''

www.punchng.com/news/why-obama-wont-visit-nigeria-us/
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by hycent2008(m): 5:03am On Jun 26, 2013
The wisdom of elders shouldn't be underestimated because "what a man sees while sitting, a boy cannot see even if he climbs an Iroko tree" (Nigerian proverb)
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Screwface(m): 5:49am On Jun 26, 2013
Abeg, which security him dey yarn again? Over the last 3 month, haven't the US faced almost the same measures of security scares we've been plagued with too? Is anywhere ever truely save??

The truth of the matter is, we truely don't even need him around at the moment. What ever for? Of what benefit is Mr. Obama's visit to Nigeria at the moment? Another avenue for wasting public funds in hosting him, if I may even add.
Will his coming suddely halt the on going political tooth fight between Mr. President and some of his Governors? Or will his 1 day visit to Nigeria suddenly return us to the pinnacle of African politics?

Mr. Obama, welcome to Africa. Nigeria will be fine wtihout your visit, trust me, we sure will.

4 Likes

Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Nobody: 7:12am On Jun 26, 2013
No one gives a s**t, at least not me.

3 Likes

Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Theben(m): 7:19am On Jun 26, 2013
Like we care about his visit. He visited Ghana and some other african countries. What has changed since his visits to these countries?

3 Likes

Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by AdannaChinyere: 7:34am On Jun 26, 2013
Thank God ooo, we earnestly do not need a president who sanctioned gay marriage, we really do not need him around our president biko, please MR.Obama always do not think of coming to Nigeria because we are not happy with gay marriage shit
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Oildichotomy(m): 7:59am On Jun 26, 2013
Those complaining of Gay ish should better seize noise, He ain't coming for that, I believe deep down he still respects the sovereignty of each nation. Back to Topic, Obama or any US president for that matter should not for any reason until the govt of the day deem it fit to make my oil work for me.
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by egift(m): 8:10am On Jun 26, 2013
Simply put, Jonathan score card is not good enough. Who told you Presido no dey pray to God make Obama come Nigeria.
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by PapaBrowne(m): 8:21am On Jun 26, 2013
But wait oh. So Nigeria is this important. Ha.

Imagine I was going on a visit to London. My desire is to go shopping. So my itinerary says I would be at the Harrods, Debenhams and Marks and Spencer.

Then I go on to announce that "I am sorry I wouldn't be visiting Selfridges". The reason is bla, bla, bla, bla bla bla.

And ALL OF Selfridges, the staff, the management and the rest are wondering to themselves:

Wetin consign us? We weren't expecting you in the first place. The only thing you would have brought to us is Hold Ups on our roads and a complete shut down of the cities you visit. We are doing very fine without you thanks. And many of us here(minus me) think you are the illuminati. And we are afraid of such things.

4 Likes

Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Theben(m): 8:27am On Jun 26, 2013
someone should help interprete what the poster above me just wrote.
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by vizboy(m): 8:42am On Jun 26, 2013
why should I care

1 Like

Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Oildichotomy(m): 8:46am On Jun 26, 2013
Theben: someone should help interprete what the poster above me just wrote.
Interpretation: There's a thin line between comprehension and gibberish
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Nobody: 8:57am On Jun 26, 2013
Obama is a gay, he won't visit because WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN about gayism. By the way his visit will amount to wastage of public funds, he better stay put, we Nigerians aint expecting him anytime soon... WE ARE AFRICA'S GIANT

3 Likes

Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Pataki: 9:07am On Jun 26, 2013
Is this not the same Obama, our gorilla president was telling us some months ago that Obama approved of him?

Nigerians have tey-tey rejected the disgrace of a president we are saddled with. SW, SS, and the entire North has rejected Jonathan. Obama need not add to the frustration, that our prestigious retardeen is facing currently.
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Nobody: 9:11am On Jun 26, 2013
Pataki: Is this not the same Obama, our gorilla president was telling us some months ago that Obama approved of him?

Nigerians have tey-tey rejected the disgrace of a president we are saddled with. SW, SS, and the entire North has rejected Jonathan. Obama need not add to the frustration, that our prestigious retardeen is facing currently.
Which SS reject jonathan? Stay out of drugs Mr. Man
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by premlove(m): 9:11am On Jun 26, 2013
Ok ooo he is not coming so we should kill our self becos one man is not coming to nigeria ordinary obama

1 Like

Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by premlove(m): 9:12am On Jun 26, 2013
Ok ooo he is not coming so we should kill our self becos one man is not coming to nigeria ordinary obama of yesterday
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by 50calibre(m): 9:19am On Jun 26, 2013
I'm happy Obama won't be visiting Nigeria, because if he was, in sure the thieves in power would seize on this opportunity to siphon funds, all in the name of providing security.

This shun ( yes it's a shun, forget the stories) will send a message to Nigeria that it is increasingly becoming irrelevant in Africa and the world, and since our leaders clamour for international recognition so much, maybe this might be the nudge they need to get their house in order.

1 Like

Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Euroclydon(m): 9:31am On Jun 26, 2013
egift: Simply put, Jonathan score card is not good enough. Who told you Presido no dey pray to God make Obama come Nigeria.

And u are the intermediary btw his prayers and God dat u knw exactly wat GeJ prays? Hmmn...smh
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 26, 2013
Who cares... Nobody wan buy leprosy infested woman akara balls and she kukuma say she no wan sell am on credit. Nobody go loose na.

Abeg make dem fry their visit chop am.
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 26, 2013
THIS WONT AFFECT THE PRICE OF FISH,

OR GOLD CIRCLE

3 Likes

Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by 50calibre(m): 9:52am On Jun 26, 2013
emmysenior: Who cares... Nobody wan buy leprosy infested woman akara balls and she kukuma say she no wan sell am on credit. Nobody go loose na.

Abeg make dem fry their visit chop am.

You should care, stop talking nonsense! The president of the most powerful nation on earth is visiting your continent but omitting you country ( 2nd largest economy in africa, largest population in africa )you are here saying you don't care?

Do you even understand the significance of this omission, don't you know this is a dent to Nigeria's image?
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 26, 2013
It is glaring that the Obama admin doesn't want anything to do with the GEJ government due to its colossal ineptitude and corruption. The handwriting on the wall is this: sorry Nigerians, we love you, but you have this fish-brain president, who believes his a messiah, with a team of charlatans, semi-educated, and extremely corrupt staff. And the oddest thing is the level of arrogance of these uppities. The US is just sorry for Nigerians, and hope the $1billion they would use in hosting Obama would get funnelled into something reasonable.

1 Like

Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Nobody: 11:20am On Jun 26, 2013
50calibre:

You should care, stop talking nonsense! The president of the most powerful nation on earth is visiting your continent but omitting you country ( 2nd largest economy in africa, largest population in africa )you are here saying you don't care?

Do you even understand the significance of this omission, don't you know this is a dent to Nigeria's image?

What is this one saying? Bloody western slave. Na inferiority complex go drown you.

And you think they will be bothered if we decided to boycott their country?

Pls kindly outline the pros and cons involved should he visit Nigeria?

Once again kindly give me not more than one reason why I should care.

2 Likes

Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by dasparrow: 12:21pm On Jun 26, 2013
emmysenior:

What is this one saying? Bloody western slave. Na inferiority complex go drown you.

God bless you. Is Obama some kind of god? All the other presidents from advanced nations that have visited Nigeria in the past, how has that made a difference in the life of the average Nigerian? We are still battling epileptic power supply, poor infrastructure, poor access to proper healthcare, poor education etc. When it comes to our country's image, that is already in the trash anyways and has been for some time now since some of our citizens began engaging in 419 internet scam, drug trafficking, kidnapping of foreigners and later fellow Nigerians and many other evil vices that have sprung up in the last 20 years in our beloved nation. America has never cared about Africa. All they care about are countries with leaders who are willing to dance to the tune of America's whistle to their own detriment.

@Post

It does not affect me one way or the other should Obama visit or not. All I need is access to uninterrupted power supply and clean drinking pipe borne water. If we had that in Nigeria along with equal opportunity employment and a favorable business climate and low corruption rates, the sky will be the limit for Nigerians and no one will remember these western nations anymore.

3 Likes

Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by egift(m): 12:49pm On Jun 26, 2013
emmysenior:

If you don't know what to say or understand that enormity of the fact that Obama is visiting Africa for the second time without coming to Nigeria - then keep quite.

Additionally, look at the picture below (if you know why Mr. President and his VP will seat there even when nobody is attending to them) - then you will understand the meaning of visiting someone important when a dignitary visits a particular location.

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/745012_00a-1_jpg9db310ec111881d42476fd50e933024d[/img]
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by jaycee(f): 12:56pm On Jun 26, 2013
undecided [b][/b]The funny part is that, its on front covers of news papers, sometimes this our 9ja journalist no sabi sometin. They for just put am for some corner for newspaper, make US sabi say, we nor send. Is that news? Make Obama go boil stone. Was Bill Clinton a fool when he came for a visit in the 90's? has that stopped investors from trooping in on a daily basis? Where pple dey, money must to dey. thats why their private coys come to invest behind but ridicule us in front. i nor blame them sha, na we govt cos am
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by jaycee(f): 1:08pm On Jun 26, 2013
egift:

If you don't know what to say or understand that enormity of the fact that Obama is visiting Africa for the second time without coming to Nigeria - then keep quite.

Additionally, look at the picture below (if you know why Mr. President and his VP will seat there even when nobody is attending to them) - then you will understand the meaning of visiting someone important when a dignitary visits a particular location.

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/745012_00a-1_jpg9db310ec111881d42476fd50e933024d[/img]

its like a townsman wanting to kill himself just becos the king of the village didnt stop by his place when going to the village square. will his visit give you more yams? no! on the contuary you give the king yams. you spend more! yes it may earn you recognition, but what if he speaks ill of you when he leaves (which the americans always do). where does you reputation stand?
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jun 26, 2013
OF COURSE OBAMA WONT VISIT NIGERIA...WHY WOULD THE LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD VISIT A COUNTRY FILLED WITH A BUNCH OF INGRATES? I DONT EVEN WANT HIM TO EVEN WASTE HIS TIME GOING TO NIGERIA....NIGERIA DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE RECOGNIZE AS A CIVILIZED NATION IN FACT..I HOPE NO WORLD LEADER EVER VISITS NIGERIA AGAIN....
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jun 26, 2013
egift:

Stale
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by jaycee(f): 1:21pm On Jun 26, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
OF COURSE OBAMA WONT VISIT NIGERIA...WHY WOULD THE LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD VISIT A COUNTRY FILLED WITH A BUNCH OF INGRATES? I DONT EVEN WANT HIM TO EVEN WASTE HIS TIME GOING TO NIGERIA....NIGERIA DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE RECOGNIZE AS A CIVILIZED NATION IN FACT..I HOPE NO WORLD LEADER EVER VISITS NIGERIA AGAIN....

i hope you dont stay in Nigeria? if you do please pack and go and stay in Senegal or SA. the visitable countries! mstcheew!
Re: Why Obama Won't Visit Nigeria - US by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jun 26, 2013
jaycee:

i hope you dont stay in Nigeria? if you do please pack and go and stay in Senegal or SA. the visitable countries! mstcheew!

No i dont stay in Nigeria...God loves me..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amaechi's Giant Strides In Riverine And Other Areas Of Rivers State / Why Do We Have So Many Bad Roads In Lagos? / EDUCATION MINISTERS 2015 CAMPAIGN POSTER

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.