Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,601 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

The Unity School Cut Offs: What I Told My Son! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Unity School Cut Offs: What I Told My Son! (573 Views)

Fayose Threatens The Unity of Nigeria - Presidency Warns Nigerians / I Told Jonathan He Would Lose -– TB Joshua / Shocking: Unity School Cut Off Mark..zamfara 2..anambra 139 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Unity School Cut Offs: What I Told My Son! by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 27, 2013
I was not keen on my son going to secondary school this year, let alone to a unity school!
I only wanted to expose him to what it feels like to face an external examination.

Apart from the exposure of facing an external examination, it has also given him an exposure to what it means to be a Nigerian, especially a Nigerian from the South East.

Initially, I was not sure if it was necessary to explain things in details to him now or wait till a later date. I finally concluded that the earlier he knows the truth, the better!

So I told him at a score of 104 as a primary 4 pupil that he tried, but the score was still average. that if he were to be admitted, he would had scored at least 139.

Then I told him that some other states actually has lower cut offs even as low as 2. His eyes grew wider and his asked me with such a surprise,
"just 2, Daddy how and why"?

Then I told him that those people are from a states which are educationally disadvantaged. that some people feel and think that it is the only way to help them to go to school.

Then I told them not to envy them or anybody else who settles for anything less than excellence.

I told him to prepare for the same unity school exam next year. I told him to target 200 over 200, to show Nigeria that as an eagle, he can always fly high. I did not tell dim my won cut off for him, but I have set 180 as my cut off.

I have found a good private secondary where he will attend his secondary education. I only want him to write the unity school exam for a few lessons.

to him teach that
1. he can always do better
2. determination is a good key
3. the standard set for him is not important, rather he his attitude is more important.
4. can always survive no matter the circumstances he found himself.
5. he must not at anytime depend on anybody or Nigeria to fend for him, but rather he must strife to fend for himself.

I have set targets for in the coming session. I told him the coming session is a session of transition. He must make his mark and prove to me that he has what it takes to fly like the eagle. I told him that in Nigeria, parents buy admission and promotion for their children but no child of mine will have such demeaning patronage.

I have told him that Nigeria has nothing to offer to him, that if his dreams depend on Nigeria, then his dreams will die.
I have told him to start thinking about creativity and productivity. I have told him that in him lies the ability to make impact in his generation. He has the ability to get to the mountain top.

Government or no government, policy or no policy, support or no support.

I told him that in Nigeria, there are no jobs, the few that exists are kept for those from the "catchment area" (whatever that means). I have challenged to make the choice to survive even as I have survived.

the last job application I wrote was to the Bonny NLNG, where we were asked to write our state of origin at the back of our application envelops. I felt so insulted that I almost did not apply, but I did to fulfill all righteousness, but then i promised them it would be last. That was some years ago. I took my destiny into my hands.

Today I can look back and say to Nigeria, "thank you"!
"for in rejecting me, you have inspired me to manifest the ingenuity in me".

I started with empty hands but with grace and brains, I am building my business.
I was in Abuja briefly after my NYSC, and I wept when I saw some of my kinsmen changing their names and appearance to look like Hausa/Fulani just to survive. I left Abuja with a determination to survive.

I have survived, my generation will survive.

I have told my son,
"prepare to survive, you must survive".
Re: The Unity School Cut Offs: What I Told My Son! by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 27, 2013
Why cant all southerners abandoned the so called unity schools and let it be glaring that it is Northern unity schools?
Re: The Unity School Cut Offs: What I Told My Son! by Nobody: 10:57am On Jun 27, 2013
cogitoErgo: Why cant all southerners abandoned the so called unity schools and let it be glaring that it is Northern unity schools?

My post is not about unity schools!
Perhaps you did not read it before commenting?

(1) (Reply)

The Illusion Of Barracks Option By Olusegun Adeniyi / Civil Service Commission Boss Converts Office To Detention Centre / Buhari Is Politically Naive - Gov. Sule Lamido

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.