Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,143 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david (2493 Views)

Diezani In London By Michael Egbejumi-david / Buhari Unveiled A Kitchen & Store-Room Cabinet Of 100% Northern Males - Egbejumi / Igbo Vs Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Starlett: 10:46am On Jun 27, 2013
Another 419 practitioner contacted me via my Netlog account today. Like most people, I have become used to getting loads of 419 solicitations through my email. But lately, the 419 boys have invaded my social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc) accounts.

It is becoming quite common now to get 419 messages from some ‘friends’ on my friends-lists. These people have ruined my enjoyment of social media. There was one such message I recently got from a ‘friend’ on LinkedIn. The chap calls himself a Pastor. I was so disgusted I was compelled to respond to him. I informed him that he and other 419 email peddlers’ contribution to modern technology is in its ruination. These people are spoiling my delight, and curtailing my full participation on most social media.

Regrettably, some Nigerian commentators – specifically, Igbo and Yoruba tribal warriors - are also beginning to wreck my enjoyment of Saharareporters and other Nigerian internet-based discussion forums.

Every other article, every other published interview is invariably reduced to an Igbo vs. Yoruba tribal cleavage, even when it is clear that most of the jingoists are completely out of their depth as regards the matter under discourse, or have not much clue as to what the referenced written piece is about.

Really, it doesn’t matter what the subject matter is; sooner or later, the Igbo and Yoruba tribal warriors arrive and pollute the whole place.

It could be a write-up on the dearth of rainfall on the Appalachian Mountains; before you know it, the whole matter would degenerate into an Igbo vs. Yoruba mudsling. A dishevelled Yoruba commentator would limp in and might weigh-in with a post that the rainfall in Yoruba land is better than what obtains in the Southeast, or vice versa. Before very long, inelegant and sophomoric insults are being lobbed between the tribal warriors. A proper analysis, a sensible/enjoyable discussion of the write-up is completely derailed. This has become the unfortunate pattern.

The goal sometimes appears to be to see who can spill the most bile, who can be the most uncouth. Often, anonymous nincompoops will unleash crude insults and unintelligent diatribe at redoubtable persons who have over many years made great names for themselves and have brought accolade to the country through their hard work, talent and abilities. Some of these tribal maulers take perverse delight in hauling abuse at illustrious men and women and other high-achievers - persons to whom they could ordinarily not hold a candle; persons they cannot carry their sandals or even jockstrap – before turning the vitriol on themselves.

I’m not sure, but it does appear that most of the tribal warlords are domiciled outside Nigeria. And I don’t quite know what effect that very fact has on their psyche.

I often get the impression that the feeling of dislike between the two groups is fairly deep and I’m not even certain of the genesis of such hatred, such bile. However, a lot of the combatants tend to reference the civil war of 1967, Awolowo, and starved children. Other times, it appears the animus might also be rooted in the manner Zik and some of his NCNC compatriots got bounced from the leadership of the Western House of Assembly back in 1951. Still, sometimes, it seems the enterprising commercial nature and success of the Igbo is a sore point.

Whatever. But giving the level of venom thrown back and forth between these tribal warlords online, I sometimes wonder whether some of these people might actually deliberately harm each other in real life. It often seems to me that an Igbo worker might deliberately sabotage his Yoruba colleague’s effort at work if the chance presents itself, and vice versa.

Ironically, these two nation-groups are Nigeria’s most dynamic. They are great tribes. They have contributed immensely to our collective development and progress. However, the constant bickering of some of them, their juvenile posturing, their insult-fest, is fouling up our local cyberspace and spoiling the fun for the rest of us.

Moreover, over the years, due to migration and movement, educational pursuit, and the NYSC scheme, there has been, and continues to be a lot of inter-marriage between these two great peoples. But I wonder today what some of the offspring from such union make of the hang-ups of some of their adults who persist in dressing one another in clumsy and garbage tribal stereotypes. I can only imagine the confusion of some of those youngsters.

But the internet tribal warriors are not paying any attention. They revel in their nuisance. They toss about their oxymoronic phrase du jour: ‘educated illiterate’ like it is candyfloss. All sorts of degenerate stereotypes are hauled at each other to prop-up a warped point of view. Paradoxically, most of them fail to see – or are too thick to realise that their very action, their utterances are actually injurious to whatever tribal cause or honour they assume they are championing or defending.

And so, just as I have learnt to skip most unknown emails and those unsolicited ‘kind greetings’ messages I often get on my social media pages, I am beginning to learn to give some Nigerian discussion forums a wide berth because of Igbo/Yoruba incessant and obnoxious display of tribal pettiness.

Come to order boys, or you are proving right Samuel Jonson when he pronounced that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel…

demdem@hotmail.co.uk
Twitter:demdemdem1

http://saharareporters.com/article/igbo-vs-yoruba-michael-egbejumi-david

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Starlett: 10:48am On Jun 27, 2013
Very thought-provoking article. Hm... Bows head and sighs deeply. But rumour has it that moderators of most of these internet forums actually secretly enjoy these diatribes for the sole reason that they attract more followership and readership, leading to higher ratings and possibly more revenue. Seun, can you comment on that gross allegation? wink

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Stylaay(m): 2:51pm On Jun 27, 2013
I tend to wonder where-in lies hope for our nation. The supossed leaders of tommorow have been consumed by the backward divisionist ideas of tribe, ethnicity and religion employed by our clueless, self centered and unpatriotic elders and forefathers it got a broda wondering how we can ever speak out with one voice against injustice, corruption, mediocrity, nepotism, impunity, and a whole lot of other problems that have no tribal, ethnic or religious connotation. I weep for this group of myopic minded nigerians
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by CyberG: 3:07pm On Jun 27, 2013
It's time to call for a LAW for public hanging of TRIBALISTS wherever found! It does not matter if 1 million is hanged in one day but this nonsense must stop! The CIA, Interpol, MI5, Mossad, etc are now on notice so even if you think you can hide in US or UK to spew your tribalistic crap, you will be picked up in a moment! angry angry angry
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jun 27, 2013
The guy is talking about YOU, don't look sideways...I mean you! .....yes YOU..!!!!
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jun 27, 2013
Where are the Tribal warlords? oya make una come read this tori o!. DK, Mr.Globe and co,where art thou? grin
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Starlett: 3:34pm On Jun 27, 2013
ilugunboy: The guy is talking about YOU, don't look sideways...I mean you! .....yes YOU..!!!!

grin grin grin

Or anyone who wants to find the culprit can look at the mirror, I guess. They'll sure find the culprit there!
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by T8ksy(m): 4:10pm On Jun 27, 2013
Starlett: Other times, it appears the animus might also be rooted in the manner Zik and some of his NCNC compatriots got bounced from the leadership of the Western House of Assembly back in 1951.

Still, sometimes, it seems the enterprising commercial nature and success of the Igbo is a sore point.

Here we go again with the same lies our eastern brothers have been spewing against us for over half a

century. Zik was not denied premiership of western Nigeria basically because he and his party did not win the election in

question but if however you or anyone else in the same boat of deceit as yourself can buttress their wild claim with

irrefutable evidence, please do. Until then, please desist from propagating spurious allegations about the yorubas.

Yeah, we have no doubt that the ibos are EXTREMELY enterprising but we just can't help but wonder why they can't manifest

their enterprising skill in their own homeland?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by dayokanu(m): 4:15pm On Jun 27, 2013
berem: Where are the Tribal warlords? oya make una come read this tori o!. DK, Mr.Globe and co,where art thou? grin

Me warlord??

No o I be small pikin o, I only respond I dont kickstart anything. Talk to your people first
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jun 27, 2013
dayokanu:

Me warlord??

No o I be small pikin o, I only respond I dont kickstart anything. Talk to your people first
I thought you were nicknamed Igbo Slayer? What's the yoruba title your friends gave you again? grin
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by tawa89(f): 5:20pm On Jun 27, 2013
Very good observation @ OP. Nice to know someone else notices buffonry that goes on here in the name of tribal bashing. We have more than 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria yet every news is reduced to Yoruba vs Igbo thread. Does that mean that other ethnic groups dont exist?or they dont ve a say in what happpens in this country ? Yorubas and Igbos should harken to this man's voice of wisdom. Everything is not about them ,certainly Nigeria isn't about Yoruba and Igbo.
I know this very thread that has an important message will not make front page. I know it wont, because the title doesnt scream' Olamide Yusuf caught with human parts in Ondo state' or 'Chukwuemeka Nze caught with 200kg of Heroine'.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by dayokanu(m): 5:29pm On Jun 27, 2013
berem: I thought you were nicknamed Igbo Slayer? What's the yoruba title your friends gave you again? grin

I dont know about that oo.

True I love slaying Ibo chics and thats where it stopped , You sef fit come find out

I be O gbona feli feli the first of ibo babes
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by ikeyman00(m): 5:31pm On Jun 27, 2013
@@@

the truth is i dnt even trust oga David himself

i mean just go through all nl post u will know one thing for sure

when ever we are talking about development of the country u wouldn't see them but whenever u are talking about Igbo people u will see them shocked

i'm shocked this man never declare this

it crazy
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by ibrahimdoc: 5:47pm On Jun 27, 2013
T8ksy:

Here we go again with the same lies our eastern brothers have been spewing against us for over half a

century. Zik was not denied premiership of western Nigeria basically because he and his party did not win the election in

question but if however you or anyone else in the same boat of deceit as yourself can buttress their wild claim with

irrefutable evidence, please do. Until then, please desist from propagating spurious allegations about the yorubas.

Yeah, we have no doubt that the ibos are EXTREMELY enterprising but we just can't help but wonder why they can't manifest

their enterprising skill in their own homeland?

Let me help you out, the reason igbos migrate to other regions is because there are no competition over there as compered to what you have in the east. That I guess is the reason.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by dayokanu(m): 5:48pm On Jun 27, 2013
ibrahimdoc:
Let me help you out, the reason igbos migrate to other regions is because there are no competition over there as compered to what you have in the east. That I guess is the reason.

And have they used their competition and industry to better the region they came from?

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Geomac: 5:55pm On Jun 27, 2013
ibrahimdoc:

That is a big lie. I think space contributes alot to it.
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by CyberG: 6:09pm On Jun 27, 2013
Geomac:

But you guys STILL have LOTS of UNINHABITED lands, true or false? I think the ibos just like and want an easy life with NO COMPETITION! So, they want more land and expansionism (think Hitlerism), they want biafra where, hopefully, there will be no competition from the South Westerner Yorubas who have taken and always taking the SHINE off all ibo braggadocio! Or from the Edos, Hausas, Binis, 259+ other tribes who expose the ibos as ordinary human beings that they really are! Iboland is not experiencing any heavenly development, most Nigerians can see that but they can hide that away in Biafra and lie to the world they have created gold-plated streets! They really want life handed to them on a platter but they did not hand over their 1970 biafra war loss on a platter, it was taken! The holy book says..."Right from the days of John the baptist, the Kingdom of God suffereth violence and the violent take it by force"! But that is an eternal Kingdom, far superior to this one! If it takes the violent to take it by force, MORE SUPERIOR VIOLENT VIOLENCE is required to thrive here and this is what was used to take biafra. This world is for the competitive, most parts of Nigeria going places are not AFRAID of competition, FAILING and trying again, why is that only the ibos want to run away or be handed the spoils on a platter??

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by ikeyman00(m): 6:13pm On Jun 27, 2013

just listen to ur silly point

mind u space dnt give u money shocked if u claim the igbo too love money pass God

una no dey tire self
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Geomac: 6:20pm On Jun 27, 2013
ikeyman00:
just listen to ur silly point

mind u space dnt give u money shocked if u claim the igbo too love money pass God

una no dey tire self

It might be silly to a dolt like you but that is the truth from my own point of view.
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by CyberG: 6:24pm On Jun 27, 2013
Geomac:

It might be silly to a dolt like you but that is the truth from my own point of view.

Read my post ^^ and comment! Two of you should just stop pretending like you are fighting while ignoring 500,000 pound GORILLA of truth on the thread! grin grin grin
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Geomac: 6:54pm On Jun 27, 2013
CyberG:

But you guys STILL have LOTS of UNINHABITED lands, true or false? I think the ibos just like and want an easy life with NO COMPETITION! So, they want more land and expansionism (think Hitlerism), they want biafra where, hopefully, there will be no competition from the South Westerner Yorubas who have taken and always taking the SHINE off all ibo braggadocio! Or from the Edos, Hausas, Binis, 259+ other tribes who expose the ibos as ordinary human beings that they really are! Iboland is not experiencing any heavenly development, most Nigerians can see that but they can hide that away in Biafra and lie to the world they have created gold-plated streets! They really want life handed to them on a platter but they did not hand over their 1970 biafra war loss on a platter, it was taken! The holy book says..."Right from the days of John the baptist, the Kingdom of God suffereth violence and the violent take it by force"! But that is an eternal Kingdom, far superior to this one! If it takes the violent to take it by force, MORE SUPERIOR VIOLENT VIOLENCE is required to thrive here and this is what was used to take biafra. This world is for the competitive, most parts of Nigeria going places are not AFRAID of competition, FAILING and trying again, why is that only the ibos want to run away or be handed the spoils on a platter??

I am not an Igbo man so i can not say much or anything about uninhabited lands in SE. You are wrong Igbo people that i know are not afraid of competition. Either Yoruba takes the Shine off the Igbos braggadocio is left for you and Igbo people to dissect.
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by T8ksy(m): 9:14pm On Jun 27, 2013
ibrahimdoc:

Oh well, am sorry to say that your "guess" is way off the mark. I have had first hand experience of

ibo's so-called "competitive" nature and frankly speaking, they can keep it in alaibo. Thanks.
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by IGBOSON1: 9:22pm On Jun 27, 2013
CyberG: It's time to call for a LAW for public hanging of TRIBALISTS wherever found! It does not matter if 1 million is hanged in one day but this nonsense must stop! The CIA, Interpol, MI5, Mossad, etc are now on notice so even if you think you can hide in US or UK to spew your tribalistic crap, you will be picked up in a moment! angry angry angry

^^^Funnily enough, you were the first person that came to mind when i read the original post. Sorry.....just couldn't help it. smiley

So you just might wanna be careful how you dish out advice. wink
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by CyberG: 9:24pm On Jun 27, 2013
Geomac:

I am not an Igbo man so i can not say much or anything about uninhabited lands in SE. You are wrong Igbo people that i know are not afraid of competition. Either Yoruba takes the Shine off the Igbos braggadocio is left for you and Igbo people to dissect.

Come off it man before I summon thunder to hammer your lying mouth! angry angry So you find a lame duck excuse for them and you think you can run and hide? No way! angry Why so much complaints then if you care to explain? Imagine if Idoma, Tiv, Bachama, Kaiyama, Nupe, Edo, Efik, Ibibio, etc complain like the ibos? The whole world will almost be at its knees now, talk less of Nigeria! Again, ibos want to hide away in a land where they can perpetuate any kind of action (evil or not) and then sneak out on unsuspecting people to do their game plan! Why? Why?? Oh Geomac why?? angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by CyberG: 9:26pm On Jun 27, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Funnily enough, you were the first person that came to mind when i read the original post. Sorry.....just couldn't help it. smiley

So you just might wanna be careful how you dish out advice. wink

It is because you refuse advise that the weight of strong hands came after you! I harbour no ill-feelings towards you or anyone. However don't force the cyclonic monster in me to surface! grin grin
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jun 27, 2013
Lol, dem don scatter am again. Too many ppl wey sabi book!
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by CATCHYBLOGGER: 12:46am On Jun 28, 2013
I'm afraid the purpose of the original post will be derailed. That battle has started again......

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by ACM10: 1:37am On Jun 28, 2013
Michael Egbejumi-David = Demdem
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Nobody: 3:54am On Jun 28, 2013
The writer of this piece is a fine young man I respect and have enjoyed reading and interacting with on another forum.
He hit the nail on the head.
Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by CyberG: 4:09am On Jun 28, 2013
babyosisi:
The writer of this piece is a fine young man I respect and have enjoyed reading and interacting with on another forum.
He hit the nail on the head.

Seems you are getting old and tired of you e-wars babaosisi! grin angry

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Freewilly(f): 4:11am On Jun 28, 2013
IGBOS & YORUBA let's join hands and sing:

Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
O Lord Kumbaya

Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
O Lord Kumbaya

For the sun that rises in the sky
For the rythm of the falling rain
For all life, great or small
For all that's true, for all you do

Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
O Lord Kumbaya

For one second on this world you made
For the love that will never fade
For a heart beating with joy
For all that's real, for all we feel

Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
O Lord Kumbaya

Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
O Lord Kumbaya
O Lord Kumbaya, Kumbaya

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs. Yoruba By Michael Egbejumi-david by Nobody: 4:20am On Jun 28, 2013
Hahahaha
Let us eat amala with Ofe Owerre lol

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

REVEALED!!!!!! 3 Types Of Boko Haram By El-rufai / ABU Don Caught In Female Hostel / Former Governor’s Daughter, Kemi Olunloyo Beaten Up By Sister And Special Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.