Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,460 members, 7,954,798 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:40 AM

Lagos Security Guards Risk Their Lives But Earn Peanuts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Security Guards Risk Their Lives But Earn Peanuts (2918 Views)

Tinubu At New Ooni Coronation With Newly Purchased Lagos Security Helicopter / APC Resorts To Private Security Guards / MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Security Guards Risk Their Lives But Earn Peanuts by Ping411: 12:12pm On Jun 30, 2013
Security guards have become common fixtures in corporate Nigeria. They work at banks, pharmacies, schools, and nearly every other kind of corporate establishment in the country.

Isaac Fajaiye is a 28-year old part-time student who works as a guard at a fast food restaurant in Jibowu, Lagos. He says he supervises the traffic of customers, and monitors the restaurant’s facilities to be able to forestall security threats. He says he earns N26,000 monthly but that the amount is incommensurate with the amount of risks his job involves.

“I just manage this job because I have to pay for my education,’ he said. “N26,000 is not enough to cover for the type of risk I face daily. There was a time when armed robbers came here, and they hit me with a gun when I told them I did not know where the money was.”

Many security guards face similar risks ― but they earn even less.

Bassey Udor is one of them. He’s a guard at a hotel in Festac, Lagos, and earns only N10,000 a month. ”Normally my job is to open the gate for cars to come in and go out, but I want to leave this work soon: the pay is too small and the risk is too much because robbers usually target big hotels like our own,” he said.

Considering that they are likely to get attacked while at work, some security guards think their employers should provide them with arms so they can protect themselves and discharge their duties more effectively.

Seun Oyeleye, who is one of the guards at a Lagos bank, belongs to this group. “We don’t have weapons to defend ourselves if the need arises, so if a small boy comes here with a gun and asks me to open the door, I’ll do so or else he may shoot me,” he said.

Most security guards are usually not employed by the company where they really do their work but by a separate security firm. This firm makes a deal with a given company, called the client, and then it hires people to work as guards at this client’s establishment according to the terms of the deal. In this case, the security firm is the real employer of the guards and is responsible for their remuneration and welfare.

Some of such security guards claim that their employer pays them an unfair amount of the money the client pays for their services or that their employer does not provide them satisfactory welfare conditions.

“Here we have no medical, retirement or insurance benefits,” said a guard who did not want his name published. “You’re not allowed to go on leave and nothing is given to you when your appointment is terminated.”

Samuel Yenki gave up after years on the job. “I worked for a security firm for over ten years and left when I learned the client was paying N18,000 for my services, whereas my employer was paying me only N6,000 of it,” he said.

Experts in the industry have decried the trend, saying that such treatment open avenues for security guards to betray the trust reposed on them.

Tony Ofoyetan, the director-general of International Institute of Professional Security, said professional security firms should not pay their guard less than 65 percent of what the client is offering. ”Besides that, a lot of these guards asking for fanciful welfare benefits do not even have the befitting educational or professional qualification,” he said.

Ray Ekwueme, a chief superintendent at the National Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), said that the agency is trying its best to enforce better conditions for guards employed with security firms.

“There are rules governing private guarding,” he said. “For example, the employers must provide medical benefits for their guards. So we have seized licenses and closed down some non-compliant security firms in the past. On the issue of what percentage of the client’s actual payment the security outfits should pay their guards, a decision has not been reached because clients don’t pay the same amount. If we say 65 percent, how will the outfits settle guards whose clients are paying N20,000 or less? But then we maintain that every guard must get a minimum wage of N10,000 no matter what his client is paying.”

http://telegraphng.com/2013/06/the-lagos-security-guard-an-endangered-specie/
Re: Lagos Security Guards Risk Their Lives But Earn Peanuts by KINGwax(m): 4:35pm On Jun 30, 2013
Let me clear this ruse once and for all.

The problem is not from the companies paying them, it is the agencies who hire them!

If u happen to see how much the companies really pay these agencies, u will marvel.

These securities receive their pay from the agencies who recruits and post them and not the companies they work for!

The cut as much as half of their salaries and pay them the rest.

How do i knw this?

I av a gf who works closely with a man that supplies staffs for companies. She is the one who pays in the cheques from these companies, but when they want to pay, they pay pea nuts to the workers under them!

The same goes with contract staffs who works for banksm they are paid as little as 50k while their real salary doubles that!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Security Guards Risk Their Lives But Earn Peanuts by cyprex: 8:21am On Sep 20, 2017
Does it mean that the minimum wage act does not cover people working as guards in Nigeria?
I need answers from lawyers in the house.
How can someone work under such risky environment without adequate pay, pension, medical services, annual leave and insurance cover?

Pls let the lawyers and other well meaning members of the forum address this issue.

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Nigerians Can Now Send Money Abroad Using Western Union / PDP Paid Us N.3m To Stone Buhari – Lagos Area Boys Said / Tiwa Savage Goes On Stage Almost N*ked, Puts Legs Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.