Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet (1830 Views)

Buhari Inside His Presidential Jet (PHOTO) / Photo: Prof Yemi Osinbajo Looking Cool In A Presidential Jet / APC Claims Victory In Presidential Election Ahead Of Inec’s Declaration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by ababoy1(m): 1:03pm On May 22, 2006
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/5004366.stm

Funny when OBJ's recently acquired jet can’t seem to make 2 successful trips, and the PM of Great Britain doesn’t even have one.

President Kufuor described the $16m jet as "wasteful and frivolous".

1 Like

Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by Larufa(m): 5:48pm On May 22, 2006
Is this why OBJ wants another 4years. To enjoy the new presidential Jet.

We lack visionary leaders what we have are rulers. They do not care about us.
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by nemesisrev: 12:08am On May 23, 2006
good to see someone still has a brain in western Africa
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by DaHitler(m): 2:13am On May 23, 2006
A lot of the western African leaders are solid. You would be amazed how much countries like Ghana and Benin have been able to accomplish with little natural resources.
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by Akolawole(m): 12:07am On May 25, 2006
Afeni:

A lot of the western African leaders are solid. You would be amazed how much countries like Ghana and Benin have been able to accomplish with little natural resources.

What have they achieved?

Benin somehow still depend on us. Just three-day closure of our border 2 years ago affected their economy.

Ghana pretends to be good as well.
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by DaHitler(m): 3:00am On May 25, 2006
According to www.answer.com (note: I checked multiple websites just to make sure they too are reporting similar figures.)

The average Ghanaian income is $2,300 annually.(some sites have it as high as $2,500 yearly. 2.3 times that of the average Nigerian) http://www.answers.com/topic/ghana-1

The average Beninese income is $1,200 annually. http://www.answers.com/topic/benin-1

The average Ivorian income is $1,500. http://www.answers.com/topic/c-te-d-ivoire (yes, thats right. The average Ivorian, a country that is in the middle of a civil war, makes 50 percent more than the average Nigerian.)

The average Nigerian income is $1,000 annually. http://www.answers.com/topic/nigeria

Also keep in mind that I have been to the major cities in Benin Republic (Cotonou and Port Novo) and both of them have constant electricity. Both cities are also more beautiful than the nicer parts of Lagos.So, like I was saying, continue to look down on other West-African countries while Nigeria lags behind.

I guess it is true what they say, ignorance is bliss.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by stanech: 9:26am On May 25, 2006
What's wrong in OBJ getting a jet is it not a presidential jet is it a personal property?
If the prime minister of Briton refuse to buy a jet does that mean Nigeria should not get one.
Thats not even a problem.
Talking about Ghana selling Its presidential Jet, Its a means for the govt of Ghana to realise a money to do better things with .
Nigeria need no extra money. OBJ has even done to the stage of putting the excess a foregn account.

Wetin una want make himb (OBJ) do again ?
he go die b4 una g know say him try na human oh.
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by GL(f): 3:48am On May 26, 2006
I don't know how they carry out their research but their statistics never seem to reflect the situation on ground.

Apart from the fact that these countries depend on Nigeria, many of their citizens don't feel this "improvements". Many West Africans see Nigerians as big spenders. There's this school in Cotonou that' about as expensive as Igbinedion University, and there are so many Nigerians. As at 2003, the school was more like an extension of Nigerian universities, as most students and lecturers were Nigerians. I wanted to visit so I asked some Beninoise ppl living around who travel home frequently. They all said there could never be a school like that because no one can afford it.

It's not true Nigeria is lagging behind while other West African countries move forward. I've never been to any of these countries, but I believe Abuja is as beautiful, or bcoming as beautiful, as their capitals. From what I've heard from ppl who visit Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Benin regularly, the capitals are about all that is beautiful. Plus, it's mostly whites who occupy the good areas, and provide the better services. The worst areas and jobs are left for the natives.
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by GL(f): 3:54am On May 26, 2006
There's nothing wrong with acquiring a new presidential jet since it belongs to the country. By the way, how does the Ghanian president travel? Chartered Jet? If he travels as much as OBJ, he won't even consider that. Considering Nigeria's status in Africa and especially West Africa, I don't think there's anything wrong at all.
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by DaHitler(m): 4:01am On May 26, 2006
Nigerias status because we have oil. Where it not for all, no one (outside of Nigeria) would consider the country anything but a living example of how not to make a nation.

And those figures are accurate. Just because you are an Upper-Upper middle class Nigerian does not mean that conditions in the country are not horrid. You should take a trip to the villages in the lesser known States in the creation of the British Nigeria.

As for our politicians flying in private jets, I can't say I blame them. The nation has little in the way to inspire the people.
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by stanech: 12:00pm On May 26, 2006
My brothers for ones let us talk from inside there is no country that is economically ok like Nigeria in west Africa. The truth is that they are always talking good of Nigeria. You are talking about Ghana we still have many of them working as shoemakers even in Nigeria till date We are better than any of them. Let me tell u guys that even if we buy a Jet for all the Govenors there will still be enogh money in the country. All we need is are govt is not corrupt and also ready to fight curruption to the Last and Obj falls to that category,

Let us Leave OBJ alone He no get problem the problem of Nigeria na State governments.
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by Akolawole(m): 12:14pm On May 26, 2006
Afeni:

Nigerias status because we have oil. Where it not for all, no one (outside of Nigeria) would consider the country anything but a living example of how not to make a nation.

Even before the Oil boom, we are always a force to reckon with in Africa.
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by DaHitler(m): 5:53pm On May 26, 2006
Akowole, stop lieing. Nigeria is a failure and everyone knows it. Just because you fail to open your eyes, does not mean other people are blind to reality.

Maybe you have never been out of the country. Hence, you think things are ok because you don't know any better. Like they say, everything is relative. If you got a chance to experience how proper nations functioned, you would know that Nigeria is anything but ok.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by nemesisrev: 3:00pm On May 29, 2006
@akolawole

You need to get out of Nigeria, then compare, actually what am i saying people in Nigeria with a brain say how bad it is ,and you seem oblivious, are you a kid?

Please smell the coffee, Ghana sure does alot better than Nigeria and i have been to say this. Just that Nigeria is big and scream the loudest dont mean all is well.please dont chat crap

1 Like

Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by omon(m): 4:59pm On May 29, 2006
In what ways does Ghana do better than Nigeria? Give examples, and don't come eith stories of electricity because many Ghanian villages have no access to electricity.
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by DaHitler(m): 5:38pm On May 29, 2006
Omon, I just posted the Ghanian GDP per capita which shows that the average Ghanian makes 2.3 times more than the average Nigerian.

Also, what makes you think that there are not many more Nigerian villages that have no access to electricity?

Note:scroll up to see my second post on this topic.  smiley

1 Like

Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by nemesisrev: 12:09am On May 30, 2006
thank you afeni

just dislike oblivious Nigerians or those in denial
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by DaHitler(m): 2:02am On May 30, 2006
Thank you for your support, Nemesisrev. Informing the ignorant is the least I can do. It is a pity that certain elements in the country (Those in favor of One Nigeria) are hell-bent on keeping our people oblivious to reality.
Re: Ghana Trades In Presidential Jet by adconline(m): 6:23pm On Jan 20, 2007
A lot of Nigerians are leaving in Ghana do you know what they do? Their universities are far much better than Nigeria, many Nigerians are in their universities, do you know any Ghanaian in Naija universities. They have one of the biggest companies in Africa that trades in S/African Exchange, london Exchange and New York echange. First African company to be listed in NYSE. Anglo Gold. They have good business practises than Naija.
Their leaders are less corrupt than ours. I read Jerry Rawlings interview on Ovation, where he said that he owned fairly/tokunboh Jaguar- his best/favourite car. Imagine how many LG chairmen in Naija that can afford 2007 Jaguar. all of them.

I watched Fmr President , Rawlings on Travis Smiley's Show, he was a class act, very articulate,intelligent, very confident and was very engaging in his interview. I was wondering why cant Nigeria produce this kind of president, not even IBB, Buhari , OBJ would compare to him.

Why would we compare ourselves with Ghana even though someone mentioned that British prime minister does not have a jet. We always feel that we are better than smaller countries and feel its unfair to compare us with bigger ones. Britain is a super power but its PM does not have a private jet, why would Nigeria have one? Answer: because we dont pay taxes- its not our money.

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/gh.html

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ni.html

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do You Like Being Nigerian? / De Ja Vu: Political Racality In The Sw. Another Impending Disaster / Pdp Govs May Back Jonathan On Single Tenure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.