Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? (10526 Views)

My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / AT The Age Of 12 Her DAD Still Baths Her In The Bathroom. "Right Or Wrong? / Housemaid Serving The Husband: Is It Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by emmaliveth10(m): 12:19am On Jul 03, 2013
There is nothing wrong in it!
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by toyfat: 12:22am On Jul 03, 2013
Well in my own case..I'm allowed to roll in any available car ahome and I'm cool with it..tho its not tagged "my own" buh I'm free with 'em

1 Like

Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by Btzzk: 12:33am On Jul 03, 2013
No big deal i bought car for my daughter in 12 grade now in college, and my son we get one this year. i don't have that kind of opportunity but i promise myself, provided they are doing good in school i will give them anything.

1 Like

Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by lastpage: 3:25am On Jul 03, 2013
Let my son /daughter work hard and save their money towards buying a car, if he/she needs one!

Even if l be Dangote or Owner of Microsoft! wink

The best l can do is to guarantee him/her 35% contribution towards the cost of the car if he or she can show me and convince me that the other 65% is from his hard earned sweat, that they are matured enough to own and drive a car and will not use it to bring "sorrow" to the family! wink wink undecided

There is always pride in what you worked for (not what someone gave you)......Dignity in labor, always.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 5:51am On Jul 03, 2013
buying a vehicle for my child is one of the least of d duties i must fulfill.....he wld not only own a vehicle but wld represent in me @ diff. Bizness meetings and conferences @ various countries around d word b4 d age of 16....
They are my future....need to give them d best...being CEO b4 20.....
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 5:54am On Jul 03, 2013
Btzzk: No big deal i bought car for my daughter in 12 grade now in college, and my son we get one this year. i don't have that kind of opportunity but i promise myself, provided they are doing good in school i will give them anything.
Yeah responsible trained children and not d wayward and extravagant type
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by JewishKing(m): 6:34am On Jul 03, 2013
[color=#990000][/color] grin ;DIts cool cos they benefit frm it...makin d kids dem driver grin
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by Okijajuju1(m): 7:22am On Jul 03, 2013
tpia@:

sugar daddy, sugar mummy, armed robbers, scammers, 419ers, corrupt politicians, etc.

Well said..

Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by Natasha2(f): 7:44am On Jul 03, 2013
Nairaland! There's nothing wrong with it, but the age and level of responsibility of the child should be highly considered.

@ Omnitrix NDA no be beans oh.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by biolabee(m): 8:28am On Jul 03, 2013
lastpage: Let my son /daughter work hard and save their money towards buying a car, if he/she needs one!

The best l can do is to guarantee him/her 35% contribution towards the cost of the car if he or she can show me and convince me that the other 65% is from his hard earned sweat, that they are matured enough to own and drive a car and will not use it to bring "sorrow" to the family! wink wink undecided

There is always pride in what you worked for (not what someone gave you)......Dignity in labor, always.

Lastpage!
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by V3dash(m): 8:38am On Jul 03, 2013
bettymafy: How old are the children in question? What level of education have they attained? How responsible are they?

yes.. If ur children is not up to all dis stage or purpose.. Y buying it.. Or else u just want dem to start misbehavin..
I can only giv dem on der wedding day.. Or if am goin out to others country to work...
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by chinonso92: 8:48am On Jul 03, 2013
there is nothing wrong with that...am even expecting my own car soon cus its a neccesity for now.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by manie(m): 9:01am On Jul 03, 2013
lastpage: Let my son /daughter work hard and save their money towards buying a car, if he/she needs one!

My father shares the same philosophy, and this made us strong and successful.

I will buy a car for my child when he starts working and can maintain a car. The child must have contributed 70% of the cost of the car.

Lastpage!
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by manie(m): 9:04am On Jul 03, 2013

Last page

I will buy a car for my child when he starts working and can maintain a car. The child must have contributed 70% of the cost of the car.

2 Likes

Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by manie(m): 9:08am On Jul 03, 2013
Why should I buy a car for my child, fuel the car, service the car and maintain the car?

I think we need to encourage our child to be investment savvy, frugal,entrepreneurial, financially literate and to imbibe the right values like dignity of labour, hard work, contentment , gratitude, delayed gratification etc.

Don't get me wrong, I want to give my children a good head-start in life, just the same way my parents did to me. By giving them good education, making them independent, inculcating the right values and attitudes in my children and also investing in [b]stocks and real-estates [/b]on behalf of my children.

So that when, I leave this planet my children will forever be grateful to me for having a wonderful father. But not by buying a car for a child who is still a dependant and can not take care of himself.

1 Like

Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by manie(m): 9:12am On Jul 03, 2013
manie: Why should I buy a car for my child, fuel the car, service the car and maintain the car?

I think we need to encourage our child to be investment savvy, frugal,entrepreneurial, financially literate and to imbibe the right values like dignity of labour, hard work, contentment , gratitude, delayed gratification etc.

With these our Children will be able to to conveniently have their own cars, build houses and be successful on their own rights.

Nobody wants their grown children to receive economic out-care handouts from their parents and this is common among the children of the middle class and some children from upper class families.

1 Like

Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by All4christ80: 9:15am On Jul 03, 2013
IT IS WRONG. You can buy you child a car when he Or she Graduates.It diverts their attention from the reality of Life.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by manie(m): 9:27am On Jul 03, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I want to give my children a good head-start in life, just the same way my parents did to me. By giving them good education, making them independent, inculcating the right values and attitudes in my children and also investing in stocks and real-estates on behalf of my children.

So that when, I leave this planet my children will forever be grateful to me for having a wonderful father. But not by buying a car for a child who is still a dependant and can not take care of himself.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by AjanleKoko: 9:39am On Jul 03, 2013
My children are way too young for me to worry about such things wink

I'd rather focus at this time on building a solid foundation for my kids. The right schools, the right exposure, investments, etc.
A car is the least significant thing I'd want to give to my kids when they come of age.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by sweetgala(m): 9:49am On Jul 03, 2013
omnitrix: My pops kept his promise to every child of his that upon graduation a car gift awaits.Even though I was given a one door golf,it still took me frm point A to point B...I even got married with the car,but ofcourse moved to better autos over the yrs...I shall up the ante' for my own kids...I'm bent on seeing my kids pursue any career of their choice in the Nigerian Navy,so I've started intimating them of my intention to get them new cars(and I shall,God willing)as soon as they conclude NDA and are decorated as officers of the Nigerian Navy.So I don't see anything wrong in buying cars for kids/young adults,cos we all turned out right...Gbam!

take it you're a naval officer!, I've been courting ideas of joining navy or airforce for a while.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by manie(m): 9:55am On Jul 03, 2013
AjanleKoko: My children are way too young for me to worry about such things wink

I'd rather focus at this time on building a solid foundation for my kids. The right schools, the right exposure, investments, etc.
A car is the least significant thing I'd want to give to my kids when they come of age.[b][/b]

Dividends from stocks and rents from property bought for your children about 22 years ago can conveniently buy a car for them after NYSC, or can be used as the seed capital to start a business venture.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by Teejayphillip(m): 10:14am On Jul 03, 2013
K0ala7:

Guy, na this your type spelling they hold people progress back for this life. Just saying.

Oga tis beta u contribute 2 d post above n shut ur dirty trap mouth... Tis nt a du or die 2 make comment if u dnt ave anyfin tangible 2 discuss...

Nor lemme unleash moisef on u oo... Nah advice i dey gif u zo
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by Anvaller: 10:44am On Jul 03, 2013
This question is not very specific hence the reason why ppl's comment is pointing at different directions.

U did not indicate the age range of the children. Are u talking of teenagers or full fledged adult? Look, on a general note, there is no right or wrong in this case. It depends on the parents and the children. If ur child is level headed, very obedient and responsible, why not? If u have a child with excessive habits, it may not be a good move to buy a car for such child.

Even if ur child is grown and mature enough to buy his own car, it also depends. Unless ppl are being untruthful here, there are many ppl I know whose 1st car was either given to them by their parents or outright bought for them by their parents. Most of us do not have the kind of opportunities our parents have in their time... and some parents understand this, hence they assist their children till at least they can successfully stand on their own.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by Anvaller: 10:51am On Jul 03, 2013
manie: lastpage: Let my son /daughter work hard and save their money towards buying a car, if he/she needs one!

In reality parents don't buy car for their young children but they allow them to drive their car/cars... and when they are old enough to maintain a car, they give a car out to them or outright buy a new one for them.. So ur comment here is not really different from what happens in reality.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by manie(m): 11:26am On Jul 03, 2013
Anvaller:

In reality parents don't buy car for their young children but they allow them to drive their car/cars[/b][b]... and when they are old enough to maintain a car, they give a car out to them or outright buy a new one for them.. So ur comment here is not really different from what happens in reality.

He can only drive my car when I want to send him on errands, but not to take my car to the school.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by manie(m): 11:32am On Jul 03, 2013
Anvaller: This question is not very specific hence the reason why ppl's comment is pointing at different directions.

U did not indicate the age range of the children. Are u talking of teenagers or full fledged adult? Look, on a general note, there is no right or wrong in this case. It depends on the parents and the children. If ur child is level headed, very obedient and responsible, why not? If u have a child with excessive habits, it may not be a good move to buy a car for such child.

Even if ur child is grown and mature enough to buy his own car, it also depends. Unless ppl are being untruthful here, there are many ppl I know whose 1st car was either given to them by their parents or outright bought for them by their parents. Most of us do not have the kind of opportunities our parents have in their time... and some parents understand this, hence they assist their children till at least they can successfully stand on their own.

I think the guy must have been hardworking or business savvy enough to have contributed 70% of the cost of the car, before I can give him the outstanding 30%.

I can buy good stocks and real estate for my children, but if the child needs a car he should be able to afford 70% and the child must have extra cash for further investments and maintenance of the car.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by manie(m): 11:38am On Jul 03, 2013
manie:

I think the guy must have been hardworking or business savvy enough to have contributed 70% of the cost of the car, before I can give him the outstanding 30%.

I can buy good stocks and real estate for my children, but if the child needs a car he should be able to afford 70% and the child must have extra cash for further investments and maintenance of the car.

After my NYSC in 1998, my father told me that from 1999 I would start paying rent and NEPA bill for the apartment I stayed. Can you believe that I paid a subsidised rent to my dad for 6 years before I moved from my fathers house.

But the guy was kind enough to have returned 90% of the money paid to him as rent over the years, I was wise enough to invested this windfall into real estate.

Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by Nten: 5:57pm On Jul 03, 2013
If not underage, a jet is ok
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by tpia5: 12:51am On Dec 30, 2013
if you can afford it, shouldnt be a big deal.

in nigeria it would be considered a symbol of affluence, not so overseas.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by tpia5: 12:53am On Dec 30, 2013
Neaman: Nothing is good or bad, thinking makes it so.

quite right sometimes.

its a question of relativity.

for example, to some, eating eba is bad, while to others, eating eba is good.

it depends on the mindset of the viewer.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 31, 2014
pappilo: What a stupid question? I cant even believe this is being debated

My dad gave me a car in my second year in Uni. I sold the car after Uni and he topped the money up for me to buy another car. I didn't buy a new car instaed I changed the money to pounds and survived on it for my first 18 months in England.
My dad has bought a brand new car for every single one of his children (2 for one of my sister's cause her first was stolen after 11 months)

Who should he spend his money on? Charlatans and praise singers? Like someone asked, should he keep the money in the bank and watch his children fly okada everywhere? poverty mentality IMHO.
Lol abeg buy for me na.
Re: Buying Car As A Gift For Your Children, Right Or Wrong? by tpia1: 9:04pm On Jul 31, 2014
What if the father is a car dealer?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Marriage Is A Charity, You Pay For What Others Have Had For Free" -Nigerian Man / Describe Your Dad In Two Words. / How Often Do You Call Your Grand Parent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.