Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,049 members, 7,818,156 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Enid Blyton's Novels - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Enid Blyton's Novels (8909 Views)

All About "JAMES HADLEY CHASE" Novels #ones You'v Read & Experiences / Those Who Love Novels / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by Ifez: 11:02pm On Dec 12, 2009
Enid Blyton books rock! My favorites were:
1. Malory Towers
2. St Claire's
3. The Enchanted Wood
4. The Five Find-Outers
5. Famous Five
6. Tales of Appleby Fair
7. Up the Faraway Tree
8. Naughty Amelia Jane

Does anyone remember those series in small sizes (square; hardcover) she wrote? E.g. Dame Topple's Buns and other stories; Mike's Monkey and other stories; Tell-tale Tommy and other stories; The Little Humpback Horse; The Adventures of Teddy, etc, etc, etc.

Luckily, my sister and I collected and stored most of her books right from when we were little. We still have them today and in good condition for a rainy day. Lol!

1 Like

Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by GTay(m): 8:56am On Dec 14, 2009
^^^ Lucky you Ifez cheesy

Sadly, I dont have any copy of her books right now sad . I think i'd check out Tejuosho to see if i can pick up some there
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by Seun(m): 1:34pm On Dec 17, 2009
This thread is referenced in an article about Enid Blyton: Notes from a small island

1 Like

Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by Ifez: 3:42pm On Dec 17, 2009
Seun:

This thread is referenced in an article about Enid Blyton:  Notes from a small island

Here is the paragraph from Seun's link above:

(Written By Amy Rosenberg)
. . . Again, most of Blyton’s readers led, and lead, lives very different from the ones she portrayed. This is particularly true of her legions of readers from former British colonies. In the 1960s and 1970s – just as Blyton’s work was beginning to come under attack in Britain for its casual racism – kids across the faded empire were eagerly discovering Blyton’s superlative vision of childhood. Today, those no-longer kids are happy to testify to the pure joy that vision gave them. Dozens of blogs from India, Pakistan, Australia, the West Indies, Nigeria and elsewhere mention Blyton at great length; others are completely devoted to her legacy, including Up the Faraway Tree, a site run by an Indian woman living in Singapore, and Heather’s Blyton Pages, run by the 27-year-old administrator of a small software company in Australia. Nairaland Forum, a Nigeria-based website, maintains a running Blyton thread full of comments like: “Dame Enid Blyton was the best. I lived to read her.”. . .

saha:

Dame enid blyton was the best,I lived to read her books & credit her with a large percentage of the good readers born in d 70s & 80s.what a writer

Saha, you have gained international recognition! Huraay!

1 Like

Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by dominique(f): 10:09pm On Dec 18, 2009
thanks Ifez for posting the excerpt smiley kiss

Ifez:

Does anyone remember those series in small sizes (square; hardcover) she wrote? E.g. Dame Topple's Buns and other stories; Mike's Monkey and other stories; Tell-tale Tommy and other stories; The Little Humpback Horse; The Adventures of Teddy, etc, etc, etc.

Luckily, my sister and I collected and stored most of her books right from when we were little. We still have them today and in good condition for a rainy day. Lol!

i remember those white pocket size books, Dame topples buns and other books like that.
it was just like yesterday when i read her books so religiously, you'd think i was reading for an important exam. . .now i've given them all away sad cry (think i still have two left undecided). though i miss the books, it feels real good sharing her legacy with the next generation smiley.
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by naijacutee(f): 1:10am On Dec 23, 2009
I got 50 Enid Blyton books (The Reward Series) for my 7th birthday and I read them all within months! I was particularly fond of Naughty Amelia Jane (Does anyone remember her?) and Children of the Cherry Tree Farm (or something like that!) and at one point I tried to name my sisters dog Rory, after one of the guys from Famous Five until my grandmother objected because she couldn't imagine herself pronouncing the name, not to talk of shouting it. . . This thread brings back so much memories! Mr PinkWhistle. . . Remember "Up the Faraway Tree, Jo, Fanny and Me, " or something like that. Recently though, I learnt that the name "fanny" in England refers to something quite offensive.
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by GTay(m): 11:21pm On Dec 24, 2009
Lucky you, naijacutee shocked 50 now i wasnt so privileged sad

But i was fortunate enough to read the 21 editions of the Famous Five, Some of them came in 4-in-1 Hard cover books.
Oh how i cherished those books! cheesy
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by SEFAGO(m): 4:18pm On Dec 25, 2009
racist mofo, and imperialist pig angry

but still a goodwriter
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by hermosa(f): 12:33pm On Dec 27, 2009
Enid blyton!!! still can't believe none of those magical creatures or that kinda worls existed, it was heaven for me. i swear i use to wake up everymornin till i was like 15 wishing someone would take me to that world. she was the one who made me wanna go to boardin school, i remeber my first day in Regina Pacis, Abuja, Nigeria, my dad gave me N200 as pocket money and i kept thinking i'm way richer than those girls in st claires, all they got each semester was like 55 cents, lol!! anyways, my enid blyton's book were a good read, thanks for makin my childhood years magical
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by imeyalof: 2:13pm On Jan 15, 2010
It's nice to knowlike minds and meet  pple with similar childhood experience like you guys. My mum made sure she bought all the famous five & Enid blyton series (Malory Towers, Amelia Jane, Twins @ St' Claires e.t.c.) for us back in those days and i made sure i bought some for my children's library.

Just in case you're interested in buying for your children, call Kiddies Books Plus on 08037156999 or 01-8111145, they have in stock!

They also have Comics like Annuals( cartoon Network, Spiderman, looney Tunes etc.),Archie, betty & veronica, Jughead,

1 Like

Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by GTay(m): 2:14pm On Jan 15, 2010
^^^ Where are they located cool
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by imeyalof: 2:29pm On Jan 15, 2010
kiddies Book Plus is @ 210, Meiran road, Ojokoro, Lagos.
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by GTay(m): 2:40pm On Jan 15, 2010
Ojokoro

I have no idea where this is, would really like to check the store out sad
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by imeyalof: 3:08pm On Jan 15, 2010
Off Lagos - Abeokuta Expressway, after Abule Egba.
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by MyneWhite1(f): 9:25pm On Jan 15, 2010
She wrote really good books.
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by moski5(m): 10:14am On Aug 29, 2015
Arielle:
I grew up with Enid Blyton. I still have my old school stories, St Claires and Mallory Towers with the annoying Gwendoline! I'm saving them for my daughter! I'm going to buy all the ones I lost and start a library for my children.
The Enchanted Wood and The Magic Faraway Tree are my favorites. Who remembers Dame Slap, Moon Face, Silky and Mr Whatsisname? Who was the character who used to snore so loudly that the kids all longed to pop a nut into his open mouth!
Gosh, memories!!

just saw this topic grew up reading her books though most of the ones yu mentioned I'm yet to read I've downloaded some I'll go search 4 the ones yu mentioned
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by moski5(m): 10:39am On Aug 29, 2015
imeyalof:
Off Lagos - Abeokuta Expressway, after Abule Egba.

do yu guys still have her books in stock?
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by ibrokola(m): 10:49am On Aug 07, 2016
I loved Enid Blyton's books so much that I actually wrote her a letter and posted it when I was 13. Then I though she was a man and was very much alive. About 2 months later, the letter was returned to me through my school's address informing me tgat the addressee has moved away.
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by Asacomo: 3:53pm On Aug 05, 2019
I just stumbled until this thread as I was searching for Enid blytons books, I read them as a child and I loved reading them , now I want to get them for my kids, I need like every single book she has ever written, famous five, Malory towers, St clair, Rilobybfair mystery and other mystery series, enchanted woods and other stories, naughty Amelia Jane, Mr Twiddle, Brer rabbit series, I could go on and on..the numbers listed here for kiddies books plus , I've called and called but no one is answering.. Does anyone have another contact?
Re: Enid Blyton's Novels by Dtruthspeaker: 5:18am On Mar 04, 2022
Chai! Came back from boarding school one day and all my books were gone. Enid Blyton, Pace Setters series, James Hardly Chase, Archie all gone.

Thought when I grow up, I'll repurchase them all. Now, my children are here and ready for the fun.

Does Ojuelegba/Tejuosho still have these books?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Scattered Petals. ( Romance Collabo Thread)- Be A Part. / Amazon Kindle Publishing: Gateway to Financial Freedom / Is Anyone Attending Ake Arts And Books Festival?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.