Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan (12650 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen: Okorocha Appeals To Buhari To Intervene / Imo Tribunal: Okorocha Begs Traditional Rulers To Intervene / PDP Raises Alarm Over Fresh Plot To Remove Fayose; Begs Buhari To Intervene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Lordave: 10:19pm On Jul 05, 2013
Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: As A Responsible Govt, We Had To Intervene – Jonathan

President Good-luck Jonathan Friday, flagged off the reconstruction and expansion of Lagos-Ibadan express way, 35 years after its construction during the administration General Olusegun Obasanjo as Nigeria’s militaryHead of State.

Jonathan said that job on the 127. 6 kilometre road which would cost N 167billion would be completed in 48 months, even as he reiterated the commitment of his administration to the provision of enduring and sustainable transportation networks across the country.
Two companies, Julius Berger Nigeria Plc and Reynolds Construction Company, RCC, Limited were awarded contracts. Julius Berger would handle Section 1, stretching about 43. 6 kilometres from Lagos to Shagamu Interchange while RCC is to execute section 11 of the project, which is about 84 kilometres starting from Shagamu to Ibadan in Oyo State. The projects were earlier awarded to Bi-Courtney Highway Services before the contract was revoked in controversial circumstances last year.

Jonathan described the dual carriageway, as very important because of high volume of traffic it carries … estimated at 84,000 vehicles daily.’’

He said that the’’Federal Government in 2009 entered into a concession agreement with a concessionaire as a premier Public Private Partnership, PPP, scheme in the road sector in the country’s economic development,’’ because it was a major artery that connects Lagos, the economic nerve centre of the nation and the host of major Nigerian seaports to other statesof the federation.’’

According to him, “at the regional level, it is a section of Trans-Saharan highway that links Lagos on the Atlantic Ocean to Algiers on the Mediterranean Sea. The road is therefore of great socio-economic importance not only to Nigeria, but to the sub-region at large.

Four years later and due to non-performance by the concessionaire, which resulted in recurring fatal accidents, unprecedented traffic jams, security breaches, compromised public health and safety as well as the continued public outcry on the state of disrepair of this road, the concession agreement was terminated in May, 2012.

“As a responsible government, we had to intervene immediately in order to ameliorate the hardship faced by the general public on this road.

Consequently, in November 2012, we deployed two reputable road construction companies to carry out emergency repair works on the road to ease off traffic and at the same time, we commenced the process of procuring the contracts for full reconstruction and expansion of the road.

“The procurement of contracts for the road was completed on schedule, and I am happy to inform you that Messrs Julius Berger Nigeria Plc and RCC Nigeria Limited emerged as successful bidders and were subsequently awarded the contracts. This government is committed to the timelycompletion of the project and has made adequate arrangements for its funding.

“In addition to annual appropriation for the project, this administration has commenced negotiation with the Infrastructure Bank Plc to complement the Federal Government contribution to the project cost. With this arrangement, funding is assured and the project can be completed as scheduled.”

Jonathan however, commended the efforts of the Ogun State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun in rebuilding the state, describing him as an “industrious and hard working person”.

He spoke just as Governor Amosun saidthat his administration had since assumption of office two years ago, committed about N200bn in rehabilitating federal and state roads within the state.

The president said he was impressed by Amosun’s efforts to improve infrastructure in the state.

Earlier, Governor Amosun had lamented the poor state of federal roads in the state, expressing delight with the reconstruction of the Lagos-Ibadan express way.

Amosun then appealed to Jonathan to consider similar intervention on the Sagamu-Mosinmi-Ikorodu road and theSagamu interchange- Papalanto road, explaining that the two roads were of

great importance to the transformationagenda of the Federal Government.

According to Amosun, the Sagamu-Mosinmi-Ikorodu road links the Mosinmi Petroleum Depot which supplied over 70 percent of petroleum products consumed in the country, while the Sagamu Interchange- Papalanto road leads to the multi-billion dollar Olorunsogo Power Plant.

The Minister of Works, Mike Onolememen, described the Lagos -Ibadan express way as the ‘’busiest road in our country with an average daily traffic of 84,000 vehicles.’’

Onolememen said ‘’the scope of work would include reconstruction and expansion of the Lagos -Ibadan dual carriageway from Lagos to Shagamu,’’ pointing out that the work involved the reconstruction of the existing two-lane carriageway in each direction and addition of a third lane to give three lanes in each direction. The carriage way width is 10.95 metreswith adjoining 2.75 metres out hard shoulder, 1.8 metre hard shoulder and a median among other features.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/lagos-ibandan-expressway-as-a-responsible-government-we-had-to-intervene-jonathan/

1 Like

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Tolexander: 10:36pm On Jul 05, 2013
“As a responsible government,
we had to intervene immediately
in order to ameliorate the
hardship faced by the general
public on this road.
action speaks louder than voice.

1 Like

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Lordave: 11:00pm On Jul 05, 2013
Tolexander:
action speaks louder than voice.

yeah, the necessary action has been taken.

1 Like

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Tolexander: 11:17pm On Jul 05, 2013
Lordave: yeah, the necessary action has been taken.
the end will justify the means
Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Lordave: 11:27pm On Jul 05, 2013
Tolexander: the end will justify the means
stop being pessimistic about this project. All you have to do is just give him (GEJ) some credits and he'll be motivated to do more.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Tolexander: 11:56pm On Jul 05, 2013
Lordave: stop being pessimistic about this project. All you have to do is just give him (GEJ) some credits and he'll be motivated to do more.
and what will my optimism do about the project?

Give who the credit for motivation?

Guess you've forgotten the presidency is not a ceremonial post. But a post of constitutional duty!

Am not a slave!

18 Likes

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Lordave: 12:15am On Jul 06, 2013
Tolexander: and what will my optimism do about the project?

Guess you've forgotten the presidency is not a ceremonial post. But a post of constitutional duty!

Am not a slave!
and I guess as a citizen you are also constitutionaly bound to serve your country. Giving some accolades to a performing govt is equally a part of your duty.
This is government, it must be legitimate, backed-up and recognised to deliver the required dividends of democracy.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by simplyme3(f): 8:12am On Jul 06, 2013
Tolexander: and what will my optimism do about the project?

Am not a slave!

You are just one in a billion. If you dont, many others better than you will do so. Simple. So, talk and let others talk.
Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Maxymilliano(m): 8:36am On Jul 06, 2013
Good job Bro Jo, continue with ur good works and shame the IDIOTS.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by tatosh: 12:20pm On Jul 06, 2013
If FG didn't intervene then who would have? Is it not their responsibility. He makes it seem like they came to do us a favour. Mediocre government!

15 Likes

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Jendorr1(m): 12:21pm On Jul 06, 2013
Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by fitzmayowa: 12:26pm On Jul 06, 2013
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by nahinbdis: 12:26pm On Jul 06, 2013
This is really impressive... Many good steps being taken by this Govt, especially in the transport sector. Truth is, the transport sector has never had it so good! From the airports to the roads, railway... the next port of call should be water transport.

1 Like

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by nerodenero: 12:29pm On Jul 06, 2013
Uncle Jona deserves an applause because whoever has lost a friend,family and loved ones on these roads will definitely want it reconstructed.Jona should make sure the companies involved dont abandon the project at the end.
Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Lagusta(m): 12:30pm On Jul 06, 2013
I noticed that the lagos-ibadan expressway joins the ibadan-oyo-ilorin expressway, why can't we just rename it LAGOS-ILORIN EXPRESSWAY!!!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Temismith(f): 12:34pm On Jul 06, 2013
E jebi! undecided Somthing shud be done concerning the regular hold up in front of d redemption camp! sad
Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by thriz: 12:37pm On Jul 06, 2013
tatosh: If FG didn't intervene then who would have? Is it not their responsibility. He makes it seem like they came to do us a favour. Mediocre government!

And if his govt did not intervene like OBJ did not intervene would you have flogged him, any way you are from a generation of conginental ingrates.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by PStacks(m): 12:39pm On Jul 06, 2013
1. I am angry that the major share of the contract went to RCC. Everybody knows Julius Berger for their level of engineering proficiency. Julius berger should havd gotten all or the lion share. But its ok the part julius berger has, because upto shagamu, traffic reduces as some face Ijebu-ode and others face Ibadan.

2. I'm happy everything has a lot to opening Ogun State to the world , I'm glad my state Goverrnor has been seen in positive light.. Very gentle soft spoken man. U needed to see his wife speak on channels tv.. Very polished woman. Speaks like she's queen of England.
Ogun state would get a new lease of life.

3. I'm happy GEJ is not being detracted by his detractors and is just delievering on transformational agenda.. This is a massive transformation for Nigeria. I'm happy GEJ is right on course.. He might appear soft and slow. But everybody has their own style.. Slow and steady surely wins a race.

4. I'm happy GEJ a PDP man is seeing GOOD in my Governor an ACN man.. That's speaks volume of both characters...

Lastly I'm very happy that road is going to take only 48 months, so 2015 is already inviting GEJ. GEJ doesn't want it but 2015 is already wanting him..

This alone, if its true oooo!!!!!, walahi, GEJ already has my 2015 vote. If its not, I will hold my vote to myself atleast to know my power is in my pocket..

The person I'l give my power to in 2015 must better be an angel.
If electricity improves B4 2015 to say 8,000 mega watts and only this Lagos-Ibadan road is repaired.. My vote is already taking its direction. Not party but personality. Sai jonathan.. Jonathan sa ka yi..

13 Likes

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Lordave: 12:42pm On Jul 06, 2013
nahinbdis: This is really impressive... Many good steps being taken by this Govt, especially in the transport sector. Truth is, the transport sector has never had it so good! From the airports to the roads, railway... the next port of call should be water transport.
it's little by little. What GEJ needs is time, just little time and he would put all those sectors in a desired condition.
He needs your votes come 2015 for Nigeria to be a better place.
Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by rozayx5(m): 12:58pm On Jul 06, 2013
GEJ 5- 0 haterz

1 Like

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Wiseoldman: 1:01pm On Jul 06, 2013
Lagusta: I noticed that the lagos-ibadan expressway joins the ibadan-oyo-ilorin expressway, why can't we just rename it LAGOS-ILORIN EXPRESSWAY!!!!

Lagos to Sagamu (Julius Berger, Uncompleted)

Sagamu to Ibadan (RCC, Uncompleted)

Ibadan to Oyo ( PW, Completed)

Oyo to Ogbomoso (Unknown, Ungoing but Uncompleted)

Ogbomoso to Ilorin (RCC, Completed)

That should be over 270Km of highway....

Impressive, i hope its indeed completed soon.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by lacasa: 1:06pm On Jul 06, 2013
Going by some comments here, it seems that the nigerian masses r so alien to public servants doing their jobs that they now see it as favors apparently wen they come out to commission the work grin

Mental Enslavement no good wallahi cry

7 Likes

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by dabrake(m): 1:18pm On Jul 06, 2013
Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by NOLONGTIN1(m): 1:20pm On Jul 06, 2013
tatosh: If FG didn't intervene then who would have? Is it not their responsibility. He makes it seem like they came to do us a favour. Mediocre government!

Your reasoning makes sense, and i subscribe to it, as long as you are not one of those that praise Fashola, Amosun etc for doing their 'work' but if you praise them and refuse to praise GEJ for doing something good, then you are a hypocrite - double standard

10 Likes

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by tatosh: 1:22pm On Jul 06, 2013
thriz:

And if his govt did not intervene like OBJ did not intervene would you have flogged him, any way you are from a generation of conginental ingrates.

You are mentally enslaved, you're from a generation of staunted reasoning. You're one of those Nigeirians that can't just imagine a progressive government therefore you're very pleased with mediocrity. You have lost your dignity and you don't know it.

1 Like

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by dabrake(m): 1:26pm On Jul 06, 2013
Are you praying for the president's failure to just to execute Tinubu's online assignment? Tomorrow, you will criticize politicians who play politics with the citizens' life whereas, you are playing politics with your countrymen's happiness. Charity begins at home.
Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by DrDoGood1(m): 1:31pm On Jul 06, 2013

Bros no go use your juju power go dey spoil their caterpillar come make them stop the work half-way oooh.
Because the way you dey sound, He be like say your way no pure so I no trust you at all at all. Kpam
Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by duality(m): 1:37pm On Jul 06, 2013
lacasa: Going by some comments here, it seems that the nigerian masses r so alien to public servants doing their jobs that they now see it as favors apparently wen they come out to commission the work grin

Mental Enslavement no good wallahi cry

Where is civilian JTF? This is a BOKO haram Kingpin.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Tolexander: 1:49pm On Jul 06, 2013
Lordave: and I guess as a citizen you are also constitutionaly bound to serve your country. Giving some accolades to a performing govt is equally a part of your duty.
This is government, it must be legitimate, backed-up and recognised to deliver the required dividends of democracy.
stop being deluded!
My constitutional responsibility is not to praise any government or pay a lipservice but to pay my tax!
Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by Tolexander: 1:55pm On Jul 06, 2013
Dr. Do Good:

Bros no go use your juju power go dey spoil their caterpillar come make them stop the work half-way oooh.
Because the way you dey sound, He be like say your way no pure so I no trust you at all at all. Kpam
actually, am only interested in a finished project and not those ones started and eventually abandoned.
Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by olaadegoke(m): 2:10pm On Jul 06, 2013
Can someone plz tell Abatti to smile...e resemble bance squeezing his face grin

@op

Thumbs up to GEJ
Re: Lagos– Ibadan Expressway: FG Had To Intervene – Jonathan by yinchar(m): 2:15pm On Jul 06, 2013
Addition of a single lane to the existing two lanes on either side, is nothing but ridiculous for a $1B(1 Billion Dollars) project. This is the most busiest road in this country, it deserved nothing less than standard 10 lanes, 5 on each side with well-lit center ,and full emergency services along the route. A typical retardeen-led PDP goverment contract as usual.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Itsekiris Are Planning To Attack Ijaw Communities - Warri Group / Happy Independence Day Nigeria / 2023 Budget: Senators, Reps To Receive ₦‎30.2 Billion Severance Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.