Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Any News On when we are to start Fasting? - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Any News On when we are to start Fasting? (19417 Views)

Medical Advice On Fasting. I Pray It Helps. / The Importance Of Six Days Fasting Of Shawal. / What Time Do We Start And End Fasting In Ramadan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by readonenaire(m): 10:05pm On Jul 08, 2013
Taraweeh observed in ilorin tonight, but every reliable source(emir,oleyede, islam channel, saudi) still points to wednesday
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by yetunsbay(m): 10:11pm On Jul 08, 2013
readonenaire: Taraweeh observed in ilorin tonight, but every reliable source(emir,oleyede, islam channel, saudi) still points to wednesday
bro islam channel own is talking abt saudi bt whr d company is based i.e uk its 2mrrw.Almighty Allah knws bst
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by Ayoobscom(m): 10:13pm On Jul 08, 2013
The weather is too cloudy for moonsighting so reading the calendar can be considered an alternative as it is making tomorrow the first day of Ramadan InshaAllah

Brothers there's no point arguing over what you have no powers...the moon the skies belongs to Allah and given a cloudy weather only He can tell.....

As for me...rubbing on my wife's shoulders while she steers her egunsi for sahur

Ramadan kareeem jooor

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by alaoeri: 10:13pm On Jul 08, 2013
ehvez: ramadhan is starting 2mrw in 27 country in africa including nigeria go to www.makkahcalendar.org for confirmation
Sorry not everybody is starting fasting tomorrow, today is 29th of shaban & nobody can authoritatively say the moon has been sighted somewhere so we have to count the 30th day with this am with the supreme council of Islamic affairs in Nigeria. In sha Allah am starting my fasting on Wednesday as announced by the secretary & sultan.

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by tintingz(m): 10:15pm On Jul 08, 2013
deols:

alright.

It is most likely the case in the whole of the south West.

I just spoke wv my peeps in Ibadan telling them to listen to the Chief Imam of Ibadan land, Alhaji Busari Suarau Haruna the 111 undecided
funny you grin
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by LagosShia: 10:18pm On Jul 08, 2013
the office for legal Islamic rulings of the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution,Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Khamanei,have announced Wednesday 10th of July,2013 as the first day of the holy month of Ramadhan.

Ramadhan Kareem!
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by edicha80: 10:19pm On Jul 08, 2013
‎​Nigerian Breaking News
Ramadan moon has not
been sighted in UAE, Saudi
Arabia, Egypt, Palestine and
Jordan and Wednesday,
July 10, is the first day of
the holy month of
Ramadan.
The UAE's moon sighting
committee has announced
that tomorrow, Tuesday 9
July 2013, will be the 30th
day of the month of
Sha'aban and accordingly,
Wednesday 10 July 2013
will be the first day of the
holy month of Ramadan.
Sheikh Shawki Allam, Mufti
of Committees for
Legitimacy and Scientific
Fatwa of Egypt, announced
that Wednesday is the first
day of Ramadan.
The Chief Justice said in
Jordan on Monday via state
television said Wednesday
month of Ramadan in the
Kingdom.
Mufti of Palestine Sheikh
Mohammed Hussein also
declared that the holy
month will begin on
Wednesday as there's been
no evidence of moon
sighting.
Most of the astronomers
had predicted that the holy
month of Ramadan will
begin on Wednesday.
The Sharjah Planetarium at
the Department of Culture
and Information
announced that the
Ramadan Crescent will
form on July 8, 2013 at
11:14am and set at
19:08pm, five minutes
before the sunset. The
crescent will be seen on
July 9 in the evening. So
the first day of Ramadan
will be July 10,
astronomically,
corresponding to Ramadan
01, 1434 H.
Bangkok Post has
announced that the Muslim
religious authority in
Thailand has declared
Wednesday as the first day
of the holy month. Because
Ramadan begins on
Wednesday, the Eid al-Fitr
celebration marking the
end of the 30-day fasting
period will be on Aug 9, it
said

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by tbaba1234: 10:19pm On Jul 08, 2013
It seems to me that some people have made up their minds to fast tomorrow no matter what.

We have to get some uniformity in Nigeria. If the Supreme council of Islam affairs with its reach throughout Nigeria did not sight the moon. It is unlikely the moon was sighted.

That said, follow your local authorities if they start fasting tomorrow.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by deols(f): 10:19pm On Jul 08, 2013
annoymous:

I don't see any justification for fasting tomorrow in the south west especially since SCIATICA has announced that the moon has not been sighted anywhere. Tomorrow, at best, is Yaom ush-Shaq (the day of doubt).

You know what, in Islam, the best for our communal living is always sought for.

Our Imams in the south west already have calendars they follow and choose the dates long before anything moon can be sighted.

Even then, one of the great scholars, Imam ibn Taymiyyah(hopefully, there is no mix up with the name) in one of his books made it known that the best thing to do at a time like this is to follow your local authority(Imam).

Now would it be good that in a place like Ibadan for example, we would have Hausas, living in sabo, who definitely saw no moon either breaking while the Yorubas are still fasting?

Is Islam a tribal religion or are we not to be seen under an umbrella where tribe has no meaning?

Until our leaders achieve the maturity that allows them sit down and devise the proper means of getting a uniform message to us all on when to start and or break our fast, the word of this great scholar reigns supreme.

We are to stay as one and do the same thing as the people or the Muslim leaders of the community where we find ourselves as per starting and breaking of our fasts.

wa Allahu a'lam.

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by readonenaire(m): 10:21pm On Jul 08, 2013
yetunsbay: bro islam channel own is talking abt saudi bt whr d company is based i.e uk its 2mrrw.Almighty Allah knws bst
ikr... Jazhakallahu khaeran
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by deols(f): 10:21pm On Jul 08, 2013
edicha80: ‎​Nigerian Breaking News
Ramadan moon has not
been sighted in UAE, Saudi
Arabia, Egypt, Palestine and
Jordan and Wednesday,
July 10, is the first day of
the holy month of
Ramadan.
The UAE's moon sighting
committee has announced
that tomorrow, Tuesday 9
July 2013, will be the 30th
day of the month of
Sha'aban and accordingly,
Wednesday 10 July 2013
holy month of Ramadan.
Sheikh Shawki Allam, Mufti
of Committees for
Legitimacy and Scientific
Fatwa of Egypt, announced
that Wednesday is the first
day of Ramadan.
The Chief Justice said in
Jordan on Monday via state
television said Wednesday
month of Ramadan in the
Kingdom.
Mufti of Palestine Sheikh
Mohammed Hussein also
declared that the holy
month will begin on
Wednesday as there's been
no evidence of moon
sighting.
Most of the astronomers
had predicted that the holy
month of Ramadan will
begin on Wednesday.
The Sharjah Planetarium at
the Department of Culture
and Information
announced that the
Ramadan Crescent will
form on July 8, 2013 at
11:14am and set at
19:08pm, five minutes
before the sunset. The
crescent will be seen on
July 9 in the evening. So
the first day of Ramadan
will be July 10,
astronomically,
corresponding to Ramadan
01, 1434 H.
Bangkok Post has
announced that the Muslim
religious authority in
Thailand has declared
Wednesday as the first day
of the holy month. Because
Ramadan begins on
Wednesday, the Eid al-Fitr
celebration marking the
end of the 30-day fasting
period will be on Aug 9, it
said

It doesnt matter what is happening elsewhere. Follow your own Imams.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by maclatunji: 10:22pm On Jul 08, 2013
deols:

You cant say that an Imam is wrong. That is the message we have been trying to pass all thr while.

Thr right thing is to follow what your local authorities say. There is nothing like an Imam is wrong.

Many local authorities chose tomorrow to start without any regard to the Sunnah of the Prophet (SAW). I have to eat but there is a clear explanation of my position here (Moonsighting for Ramadan http://www.coolstuff49ja.com/2013/07/moonsighting-for-ramadan.html?m=1 )

Imams can be wrong. All too often regarding this matter in Nigeria , they are.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by PENMIGHT(m): 10:22pm On Jul 08, 2013
deols:

Are you a scholar?

There is a big problem with some people thinking they are wiser than others.

Even at the time of the prophet, there are reported instances of people starting on different days and even the Prophet(S.A.W) didnt talk arrogantly about anyone deceiving themselves.

I am holding on to ur opinion on this. I quite agree with this precise summary.
This affair is clear and we shouldn't bother ourselves by imposing a burden that was not even exterminated by the Best of generations.

"Fasting is when people fast and breaking is when people breaks". This gives us the right to follow our rightly choosen leaders.

It is the practice of the Sahaba to sight the moon THEN MAKE IT KNOWN TO THE AMIR-UL-MUMEEN.

Whoever sights the moon should make effort at contacting their imams and the imams,the Amir.

However IF A TRUSTWORTHY IMAM CONFIRMS OR VERIFIES THE SIGHTING,FASTING SHOULD COMMENCE IN THAT LOCALTY WITHOUT DELAY.

Imams that commences fasting or prays taraaweeh based on calender or calculations should not be followed.

ALLAH IS THE SOURCE OF TAWFEEQ!
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by Faroqk(m): 10:23pm On Jul 08, 2013
kasheemawo: Emir of ilorin has confirmed that Ramadan Starts on Wednesday on his Facebook page
Are you telling us now that the Emir too get time to dey facebook? Kai I no gree!!!
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by AbdulKwati: 10:24pm On Jul 08, 2013
[color=][/color]
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by alaoeri: 10:25pm On Jul 08, 2013
yetunsbay: if u re in south west,edo,delta fast 2mrrw.taraweeh hs bin observed here in Osun.Almighty Allah knws bst
Fasting & Taraweeh are two different things, did they sight the moon in osun or base their assumptions on Igbaelode calender? Since the moon isn't sighted & shaban is 29th then we have to wait for the 30th, this is what the sunnah of the rosul said that's why am with the supreme council for islamic affairs on this.

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by deols(f): 10:26pm On Jul 08, 2013
maclatunji:

Many local authorities chose tomorrow to start without any regard to the Sunnah of the Prophet (SAW). I have to eat but there is a clear explanation of my position here (Moonsighting for Ramadan http://www.coolstuff49ja.com/2013/07/moonsighting-for-ramadan.html?m=1 )

I am not going to read what someone says on a blog. what makes the blogger right?

I have stated why I said what I said above. The position of an Imam.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by kasheemawo(m): 10:30pm On Jul 08, 2013
Faroqk: Are you telling us now that the Emir too get time to dey facebook? Kai I no gree!!!
what is special abt Facebook that emir can not register? :>
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by Princessdiena(f): 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2013
In my location, owo at ondo state. Dey said d fasting starts 2moro
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by deols(f): 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2013
PEN_MIGHT:

I am holding on to ur opinion on this. I quite agree with this precise summary.
This affair is clear and we shouldn't bother ourselves by imposing a burden that was not even exterminated by the Best of generations.

"Fasting is when people fast and breaking is when people breaks". This gives us the right to follow our rightly choosen leaders.

It is the practice of the Sahaba to sight the moon THEN MAKE IT KNOWN TO THE AMIR-UL-MUMEEN.

Whoever sights the moon should make effort at contacting their imams and the imams,the Amir.

However IF A TRUSTWORTHY IMAM CONFIRMS OR VERIFIES THE SIGHTING,FASTING SHOULD COMMENCE IN THAT LOCALTY WITHOUT DELAY.

Imams that commences fasting or prays taraaweeh based on calender or calculations should not be followed.

ALLAH IS THE SOURCE OF TAWFEEQ!

You know, there was a time We, my family used to follow the North/sultan and majority of the other people in Ibadan would follow the Imam.

It was always awkward eating all about while the whole of Ibadan was still fasting.

When I learnt of the great scholar's position which I have learnt to be the position of the ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'a, I didnt even think twice before I accepted it to be right and tried to inform every other person, especially the ones I care about, about it.

The hikmah behind it is sooo glaring.

May Allah forgive us all.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by laykhorn(m): 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2013
With what I've gathered so far, Ramadan should start by Wednesday besides today is [b]29th of Shaban[\b] and tomorrow should be 30th... Check www.moonsighting.com

Most parts of the world have also announced it to be Wednesday

Brunei: 1. Not Seen: Dr. Mohammed Hussain Ahmad (MCW member) from Brunei Darussalam reported: The
new moon was not sighted from Brunei (4° 55'
North and 114° 55' East) in the evening of Monday,
8 July 2013 as expected. This was officially
announced through the National TV and Radio stations. Therefore, tomorrow, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 is the completion of 30 days for the month of Shaban. Hence, the 1st of Ramadan 1434 will
commence on Wednesday, 10 July 2013.
I would like to take this opportunity to wish
Muslims across the world a very blessed Ramadan.

China: 1. Not Seen, BUT some mosques decided by calculations of visibility somewhere in the
world,: Dr. Musa·Minhai (MCW member) from Wuzhong City reported: According to crescent
moon visibility of Ramadam 1434 AH,I know that
crescengt will not be seen today, July 8 in China,
but I try to see crescent from 12:24 to 12:50(UT) in
Wuzhong City (latitude:"38:28N",
longitude:"106:16E"wink, Ningxia province. I did not see the crescent.
However, according to criteria that the new moon
was already born at 15:14 Beijing time and
following New Macca Calender, and China traditional calender, most mosques have decided that July 9, 2013 is first day of Ramadam. Some mosques dicided that July 10, 2013 is first day of Ramadam. So far, there is no authoritative authority like Figh councel about crescent and Ramadan in China.

India: 1. Not Seen: Syed Thanveer Peeran (MCW member) from Coimbatore, Tamilnadu reported: Moon was
not sighted so far i.e. on 8th July 2013, anywhere
in Coimbatore, Tamilnadu. 2. Not Seen: M. Siddik Nadvi (MCW member) from Ahmedabad, Gujrat reported: Today, Monday 8th
July, 2013 = 28 Shaban. 1434, we tried to see the crescent of Ramdhan 1434 Hijri at our Institute JAMIA KANZUL ULOOM at 7:30 pm. The cresent was not seen and there is no possitive report of sighting from all over India.

Indonesia: 1. Not Seen: AR Sugeng Riyadi (MCW member) from Assalaam Observatory, Surakarta Central Java
reported: On July 8, new crescent of Ramadhan
1434 AH was NOT SEEN from Assalaam Observatory, Surakarta Central Java and neither all observer from Indonesia. Indonesian Goverment statement (insha Allah) that Sha'ban will complete 30 days and 1 Ramadhan 1434 AH will be on Wednesday, 10 July 2013.

Saudi Arabia: 1. Not Seen: Mrs. Lubna Shawly (MCW member) from Jiddah reported: Saudi Arabia has declared in its
courts that the new moon was not seen in many regions of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and that Sha'ban for the year will complete 30 days, and the
1st day of Ramadan 1434 Hijrah, will be
corresponding to Wednesday the 10th of July the 2013.
Ramadan Mubarak to all ...

South Africa: 1. Not Seen: Dr. Abdurrazak Ebrahim (MCW member) from Cape Town reported: On Monday, July 8
negative sighting in Southern Africa (from all areas south of the equator) at the end of the 29th
Shabaan. The 1st day of Ramadaan will correspond
with Wed. 10 July 2013.

For more: moonsighting.com/1434rmd.html

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by PENMIGHT(m): 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2013
maclatunji:

The Nigerian factor is pathetic to say the least.
If the imams in such localty commences fasting by believing Shahaban is 30 today,sincerely I might say he might not be held liable. It is a case of two judges- One does Ijthihad and is right,he gets 2 rewards. The other does ijthihad and is wrong,he gets 1 reward for the striving based on truth.

However, its appalling that the case of most of our imams is not like this. They are perpetually incurable of "that is the way our fore-fathers did it" syndrome. This is wrong.

I was in Ibadan during the weekend.All of us see how cloudy the sky got. I learnt its been rainy throughout the south-west today.

Even in abuja, we nearly combined magrib and ishai cos of hazy weather.

I sincerely doubt the moon can be sighted in such circumstances.

And Allaah knows best.

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by tintingz(m): 10:34pm On Jul 08, 2013
deols:

You know what, in Islam, the best for our communal living is always sought for.

Our Imams in the south west already have calendars they follow and choose the dates long before anything moon can be sighted.

Even then, one of the great scholars, Imam Tirmidhi(hopefully, there is no mix up with the name) in one of his books made it known that the best thing to do at a time like this is to follow your local authority(Imam).

Now would it be good that in a place like Ibadan for example, we would have Hausas, living in sabo, who definitely saw no moon either breaking while the Yorubas are still fasting?

Is Islam a tribal religion or are we not to be seen under an umbrella where tribe has no meaning?

Until out leaders achieve the maturity that allows them sit down and devise the proper means of getting a uniform message to us all on when to start and or break our fast, the word of this great scholar reigns supreme.

We are to stay as one and do the same thing as the people or the Muslim leaders of the community where we find ourselves as per starting and breaking of our fasts.

wa Allahu a'lam.
That just it, why cant our muslim leaders in Nigeria announce it in one uniform... So that we can all start fasting at the same time.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by yetunsbay(m): 10:36pm On Jul 08, 2013
alaoeri:
Fasting & Taraweeh are two different things, did they sight the moon in osun or base their assumptions on Igbaelode calender? Since the moon isn't sighted & shaban is 29th then we have to wait for the 30th, this is what the sunnah of the rosul said that's why am with the supreme council for islamic affairs on this.
salam my broda if u hv listened to d state radio service u wud hv heard it fr president ,league of imams and alfas south west,edo,delta
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by PENMIGHT(m): 10:43pm On Jul 08, 2013
deols:

You know, there was a time We, my family used to follow the North/sultan and majority of the other people in Ibadan would follow the Imam.

It was always awkward eating all about while the whole of Ibadan was still fasting.

When I learnt of the great scholar's position which I have learnt to be the position of the ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'a, I didnt even think twice before I accepted it to be right and tried to inform every other person, especially the ones I care about, about it.

The hikmah behind it is sooo glaring.

Allah forgive us all.

You are right. We all did that in rebellion even to our parents just cos we want to follow Saudi. The Committee for Islamic Rulings in Saudi actually came out to condemn this.

They held that the student in USA and Canada should base their fasting on their localties.

My sister, I ve stooped worrying myself with such issues like this.

Utmhan( R.A) behind behind Ibn Abbass who prayed full while in sham(not too sure). He was asked why four raqahs as against the 2 raqah shortened prayer.

He answered" that is not enough to cause dissension".

The religion is not strigent. Very flexible when knowledge based.

And Allah knows best!

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by deols(f): 10:45pm On Jul 08, 2013
^^

I posted an article from Islam Q&A but removed it so that mire arguments dont ensue.

It is stated that anyone who wouldnt follow the local authorities would have to do their thing in hiding. i.e if breaking earlier than others, must not eat publicly and if fasting earlier must do it without announcing it.

The need to not cause unnecessary rife is stated. This is what our leaders should look into in order to stop the North/south divide.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by Controlv: 10:48pm On Jul 08, 2013
The fact is that some Imams followed calendar rather than moon sighting. Our local Imam, during his sermon on Friday 28th June said that it was agreed at the Imam's meeting held in Ibadan that Ramadan begins tomorrow.

To me, it was too early to decide such.
Meanwhile, every mosque in my local observed tarawih tonite.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by Faroqk(m): 10:48pm On Jul 08, 2013
lanre211: Whether the moon has been sighted or not, before the 1st day in the month of ramadan, we must observe the tharawee...so the tharawee is today n tomorow is the first fastin been the first day in the month of ramadan...
I have a feeling you're a free thinker. That's why you think you can just start fasting though the moon has not been sighted, neither is today the 30th of sha'aban!!!
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by zeyheed(m): 10:51pm On Jul 08, 2013
09/07/2013 (dd/mm/yyyy)
for sure.
Today, there occurred a solar
eclipse in the east which
confirms that tomorrow is
01/07/1434 H.
Add to that 2 months days till
Ramadan 11/05/2013 + 59 =
09/07/2013.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by PENMIGHT(m): 10:53pm On Jul 08, 2013
Me, I dey go bed now. I want to stop pinging on Nairaland and using diggers to dig out the moon by force from the the seven heavens.

Patapata, I will wake up by 4am and if I no get news for this obodo abuja here, I go chop tommorrow before going on compulsory vacation for 29 or 30days.

Till then....salam to you all. Blessed Ramadhan to you all.

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by Faroqk(m): 10:55pm On Jul 08, 2013
kasheemawo: what is special abt Facebook that emir can not register? :>
What I'm saying is, that's not him!!! Just about anyone can use his details, like they are using Sanyeri's. So you can't say because the emir says on his facebook page...
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by deols(f): 10:57pm On Jul 08, 2013
This hadith is also stated-
Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “The fast is the day when you fast and al-Fitr is the day when you break the fast, and al-Adha is the day when you offer the sacrifice.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 697,

showing that it doesnt matter too much, the discrepancies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) / Islamic Talk: / Steps To Avoid Extra-marital Affairs In The Workplace (and Elsewhere)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77