Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,346 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Any News On when we are to start Fasting? - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Any News On when we are to start Fasting? (19415 Views)

Medical Advice On Fasting. I Pray It Helps. / The Importance Of Six Days Fasting Of Shawal. / What Time Do We Start And End Fasting In Ramadan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by PresidentT(m): 10:58pm On Jul 08, 2013
yetunsbay: in shaa Allah tommorrow tuesday 9th as announced by President League of Imams and Alfas South West,Edo and Delta
Are u sure about this? I'm calling my folks in SW and none of them is givin a position. They are still waiting as well.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by killuminati(m): 11:01pm On Jul 08, 2013
Mode activated....so help me ya Allah!
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by personal59: 11:02pm On Jul 08, 2013
So sad ppl don't knw abt there religion SMH for most ppl "islam between ignorant leaders and blind followers" to a guy claiming todays is 29th shaban dat tomao is 1st ramadan pls any islamic source lik buhari or muslim who claim shaban is always 29. Another problem is self desire looking for what is nt loss اَللّهُ hav perfected dis religion only ur self desire can misled u the prophet SAW said look for d moon wen ur shaban is 29 bt if is NOT sighted count ur shaban to 30 nd start ur ramadan the next day now imagine some people sayin thei IMAM said is tomao who is ur IMAM to the islamic council. Where u told d islamic council re stupid ppl? Even Saudi Arabia is hrs ahead of us they DIDN'T observe there taraweeh today so who is ur imam?

1 Like

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by killuminati(m): 11:02pm On Jul 08, 2013
Na Wednesday fasting dey start o

1 Like

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by ibrash600: 11:06pm On Jul 08, 2013
got dis from a friend on whatsapp

''It has been confirmed from the Sultan of Sokoto Nigeria,,Ramadan is to start by wednesday,,,,,this means we're saying our 1st tarawiy 2mao after isha... this has been confirmed..may all accept this as an act of ibadah..amen..Ramadan kareem to you all.....''

''According to the High Judiciary Council, Saudi Arabia.

This first fast of this Ramadan will be Wednesday 10th July, 2013. ''

There4 insha Allah ramadan starts on wednesday.... May Allah spare us all

1 Like

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by personal59: 11:07pm On Jul 08, 2013
As at 9:30pm tonight (8-7-13) we've not heard of the news of the sighting of the moon in any part of the world. In accordance with the Prophetic tradition, we'll count tomorrow as 30th Sha'baan 1434AH . Thus, the first of Ramadan is on Wednesday. The tarawih will first be observed tomorrow therefore. The Secretary, Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (SCIA), Prof Ishaq Oloyede confirmed it just a while ago on network news.

We base all acts of worship in Islam on principles of the Qur'an and Sunnah not personal prejudices. For anyone to be fasting without the sighting of the moon is equated to following his whims and caprices. May Allah grant us better understanding of Islam.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by maclatunji: 11:09pm On Jul 08, 2013
deols:

You know, there was a time We, my family used to follow the North/sultan and majority of the other people in Ibadan would follow the Imam.

It was always awkward eating all about while the whole of Ibadan was still fasting.

When I learnt of the great scholar's position which I have learnt to be the position of the ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'a, I didnt even think twice before I accepted it to be right and tried to inform every other person, especially the ones I care about, about it.

The hikmah behind it is sooo glaring.

May Allah forgive us all.

You are mixing up issues here. There is no report of ANYONE out of all the Imams or Notable Islamic scholars sighting the new moon in Nigeria or receiving the report. On what basis should anyone then fast?

Note that there is only one time zone in Nigeria and with all due respect, when was the last time you fasted in Nigeria?
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by aljharem(m): 11:21pm On Jul 08, 2013
tomorrow it starts
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by maclatunji: 11:22pm On Jul 08, 2013
personal59: As at 9:30pm tonight (8-7-13) we've not heard of the news of the sighting of the moon in any part of the world. In accordance with the Prophetic tradition, we'll count tomorrow as 30th Sha'baan 1434AH . Thus, the first of Ramadan is on Wednesday. The tarawih will first be observed tomorrow therefore. The Secretary, Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (SCIA), Prof Ishaq Oloyede confirmed it just a while ago on network news.

We base all acts of worship in Islam on principles of the Qur'an and Sunnah not personal prejudices. For anyone to be fasting without the sighting of the moon is equated to following his whims and caprices. May Allah grant us better understanding of Islam.

My brother, the standard is that any Imam that says people should fast should provide the location that the moon was sighted.

Those that are claiming that their Imam asked them to fast tomorrow have been observing Taraweeh. Pray tell, how did they get news of moon sighting and verified it by 8pm bearing in mind that the new moon is extremely difficult to see even to the expert eye?

Ignorance should not be presented as 'difference of opinion' here.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by tbaba1234: 11:27pm On Jul 08, 2013
The reason the local leadership is followed is to prevent fitnah not because they are right or wrong.

The question now arises, who is the local authority?

In the olden days, that was probably easier to ascertain. Today, it is not so simple.

Two mosques in the same street would decide on different days. There is no agreement between neighbours.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by Deattorney: 11:35pm On Jul 08, 2013
Its Wednesday....Saw it on Nta
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by tbaba1234: 11:37pm On Jul 08, 2013
If I live in a community that starts fasting earlier. I will fast with them, not because I agree with them but because it is the right thing to do.

If everyone who disagrees with the leadership doesn't fast, it creates a fitnah.

1 Like

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by deols(f): 11:44pm On Jul 08, 2013
May Allah forgive everyone of us.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by maclatunji: 11:46pm On Jul 08, 2013
tbaba1234: The reason the local leadership is followed is to prevent fitnah not because they are right or wrong.

The question now arises, who is the local authority?

In the olden days, that was probably easier to ascertain. Today, it is not so simple.

Two mosques in the same street would decide on different days. There is no agreement between neighbours.

You guys don't get it. There is no regard for the Sunnah from those that had been announcing tomorrow as 1st of Ramadan.

People gathered in many mosques to observe taraweeh because some Imams had been telling them tomorrow would be the 1st of Ramadan up to a month from now. Can anyone sight the moon for tonight a month ago or even this afternoon? This proves that such a stance is just plain ignorance.

This the relevant hadith:

"The Messenger of Allāh, prayers
and peace upon, said: “Begin fasting when
you sight the moon, and end fasting when
you sight the moon. And if you are unable
to sight it, complete the month of Shabān
thirty days." [al-Bukhārī and Muslim]".

Today is the 29th of Shaban, we have not sighted the new moon in Nigeria. Tomorrow is now 30th of Shaban whilst Ramadan begins on Wednesday. #QED
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by deols(f): 11:52pm On Jul 08, 2013
tbaba1234: If I live in a community that starts fasting earlier. I will fast with them, not because I agree with them but because it is the right thing to do.

If everyone who disagrees with the leadership doesn't fast, it creates a fitnah.

It is like the idea behind not having a second jama'ah
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by tbaba1234: 11:56pm On Jul 08, 2013
^Mac, You are correct.

But this thing is the subject of many fiery debates and has the potential of spliting up communities.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by zakson4real(m): 12:12am On Jul 09, 2013
people are posting that the moon is
not sighted in saudi arabia..please if
islam for saudi arabia?never but
islam is for all humanity..every
day,the saudis confirm to see the
moon,no one will doubt them but today they didnot confirm people
are doubting..
our prophet s.a.w said:fast when
you see the creasant moon and did
he said saudi arabia..
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by Bowale007(m): 12:19am On Jul 09, 2013
I watch with dismay the rate at which these our Ratibi Iman mislead people. It's on Friday(after the Jumat prayer), 85% of them have been annoucing Tuesday 9th of July to be the 1st day of Ramadhaan.
May Almighty Allah (SWT) in his indefinite mercies and blessings forgive us ALL.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by njiaka(f): 12:23am On Jul 09, 2013
2mao
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by maclatunji: 12:33am On Jul 09, 2013
Bowale007: I watch with dismay the rate at which these our Ratibi Iman mislead people. It's on Friday(after the Jumat prayer), 85% of them have been annoucing Tuesday 9th of July to be the 1st day of Ramadhaan.
May Almighty Allah (SWT) in his indefinite mercies and blessings forgive us ALL.

This is the truth and people are here telling to "follow" local Imam. Of all the topics that you can think of, I have perhaps greater personal understanding of this moon sighting issue. It is unfortunate that some of us with little knowledge are confusing those with next-to-no knowledge.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by maclatunji: 12:34am On Jul 09, 2013
tbaba1234: ^Mac, You are correct.

But this thing is the subject of many fiery debates and has the potential of spliting up communities.

Truth will always split from falsehood. Choose one.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by Yuzarsif(m): 12:49am On Jul 09, 2013
[quote author=feekman] undecidedPls some ppl say its start tomorrow some say wednessday pls which day gangan ar we goin to start ramadan-fastn?[wednesday]
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by jamst(m): 1:25am On Jul 09, 2013
salamualaikum,my hijirah islamic calendar application updated today tuesday(9th)july,2013 as 1st of ramadan,1434a.h...this meant dat some will fast 30days & some will be 29days,just like what happen last year,which i thought those that started early were correct when the 2nd or 3rd day moon was sighted then...wa llahu alam (peace2all)
to get the azan/hijrah app visit searchtruth.com
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by Lanrefahm(m): 1:46am On Jul 09, 2013
We ve started fasting today inshAllah!
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by alnetizen: 1:57am On Jul 09, 2013
New moon been sighted in Yawuri. This marks tomorrow as the first day of Ramadan. Please if you have anyone to contact in Yawuri you can do so as it has been witnessed by many according to a reliable source.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by BetaThings: 2:07am On Jul 09, 2013
maclatunji:

Truth will always split from falsehood. Choose one.

Salaam
I am not sure that we should go that far here
There is NO DOUBT that the fasting starting on Tue was pre-seen and pre-announced weekS ago
Now we are torn between two positions - avoid fitnah and don;t join people who are following their desire
The problem is that
1. if we don't follow them, we create fitnah
2. If we do, they wax stronger and nothing stops them from announcing a year in advance the entire islamic calendar.
I really don't agree that they are doing ijtihad
It would be necessary to call these guys out someday

The landmass of Saudi Arabia is much bigger than Nigeria's
Yet they can harmonise their sightings and announcements
In Nigeria the need to assert oneself is leading to more fitnah!

1 Like

Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by BetaThings: 2:10am On Jul 09, 2013
alnetizen: New moon been sighted in Yawuri. This marks tomorrow as the first day of Ramadan. Please if you have anyone to contact in Yawuri you can do so as it has been witnessed by many according to a reliable source.
So did this reliable source make the information available to anyone
Otherwise someone can also say that the sky was clear in Tegina or Azare and they did not sight it
Should we not be co-ordinating rather than just calling cities at random?
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by donted(m): 3:12am On Jul 09, 2013
Instead of arguing on moon sighting why don't you people ask google? grin
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by tbaba1234: 3:16am On Jul 09, 2013
Hadith on the subject

Moon sighting should be local... : This is based on a hadith in muslim, abu dawud and tirmidi

Kurayb traveled to Syria encountered the start of Ramadan there on a Friday, upon return to Medina, informed Ibn Abbas that he had seen the crescent-moon on the night of Friday, and that the people in Syria, including Muawiyah the governor, had fasted on Friday. Ibn Abbas replied that they (in Medina) had seen the crescent-moon on Saturday, and that they would not stop fasting until they either saw it again, or had completed thirty days. Kurayb asked, "Will you not suffice with the sighting of Muawiyah?” Ibn Abbas replied, "No, that is how the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) commanded us.”
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by alnetizen: 3:30am On Jul 09, 2013
BetaThings:
Otherwise someone can also say that the sky was clear in Tegina or Azare and they did not sight it
Yes, the Emir of Yawuri ordered it to be announced to the public as tomorrow is the first day of Ramadan.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by alnetizen: 3:32am On Jul 09, 2013
BetaThings:
Yes, the Emir of Yawuri ordered it to be announced to the public as tomorrow is the first day of Ramadan.
Re: Any News On when we are to start Fasting? by 3kay945(m): 3:32am On Jul 09, 2013
A mosque in my neighborhood is now calling people to wake up for Sahur...meaning some are starting theirs on Tuesday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) / Islamic Talk: / Steps To Avoid Extra-marital Affairs In The Workplace (and Elsewhere)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.