Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,711 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Official Visit Of Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa To The United States In July 1961 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Official Visit Of Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa To The United States In July 1961 (1085 Views)

President Buhari Departs Nigeria For China On A Weeklong Official Visit (photos) / Photos From The Visit Of Aisha Buhari To The Awolowo's Residence / The Tomb Of Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Official Visit Of Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa To The United States In July 1961 by infonubia(m): 4:31am On Jul 09, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5m9Fn9RBg

Wow...I just stumbled on this video and I was stunned at the reception Alh. Tafawa Balewa, the first prime minister of Nigeria, received on his official visit to the United States in 1961. The man and his delegates commanded the respect of the US government.

This is the most articulate, eloquent, and charismatic of all Nigerian leaders that I've seen or read about. His mannerism was very appealing.

As I watched this video, I thought about present day Nigeria and I was deeply saddened by the current state of the nation. What happened to the labor of our heroes past? This man believed so much in Nigeria. I hope that we would live up to the dreams of these visionaries.

For some who think the Hausas/Fulanis can't speak proper English, there you have it.

There are lots of positives and lessons to be learned from this video. A look back at where we are coming from can help chart the path to a future filled with opportunity and prosperity.

Watch and Share with friends.

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/07/video-official-visit-of-sir-abubakar.html
Re: Official Visit Of Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa To The United States In July 1961 by Nobody: 4:53am On Jul 09, 2013
The question you should be asking is why the British handed over to the Hausas who vehemently opposed independence but the issue is very simple,the Brits wanted a puppet that would continue colonialism even when they are not ground and they chose to handover to the North due to the ease with which indirect rule was successful in the North.

Well time has fly and I doubt if the same west still hold the view about hausas else they won't place a $7 million bounty on shekau.I guess the evil they bred is now hunting them.Tafa seems to be the most eloquent northerner so far but unfortunately his life was cut short during the 1966 coup.He's the best leader the North has ever produced !
Re: Official Visit Of Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa To The United States In July 1961 by infonubia(m): 5:18am On Jul 09, 2013
@bluetooth, when the west looks @ us, they aren't thinking about Hausa, Ibo, Yoruba, or any other ethnic group. They look at us collectively as Nigerians. It's about time we stopped the division if we are truly serious about moving our country forward.

The $7 million bounty could have been place on anyone/group who commits an act of terrorism in the manner similar to BH, regardless of what part of the country they hail from.

Rather than point fingers, how about we acknowledge our differences and celebrate our uniqueness? We've pointed fingers for too long and it has gotten us nowhere.
Re: Official Visit Of Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa To The United States In July 1961 by Nobody: 5:42am On Jul 09, 2013
infonubia: @bluetooth, when the west looks @ us, they aren't thinking about Hausa, Ibo, Yoruba, or any other ethnic group. They look at us collectively as Nigerians. It's about time we stopped the division if we are truly serious about moving our country forward.

The $7 million bounty could have been place on anyone/group who commits an act of terrorism in the manner similar to BH, regardless of what part of the country they hail from.

Rather than point fingers, how about we acknowledge our differences and celebrate our uniqueness? We've pointed fingers for too long and it has gotten us nowhere.

Why did they introduce North/South dichotomy if you think they don't know yoruba,hausa or ibo ? Y'all should stop deceiving yourselves that the west especially the British don't know Nigeria ethnic groups when they were same people that colonized Nigeria.
Re: Official Visit Of Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa To The United States In July 1961 by infonubia(m): 6:06am On Jul 09, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Why did they introduce North/South dichotomy if you think they don't know yoruba,hausa or ibo ? Y'all should stop deceiving yourselves that the west especially the British don't know Nigeria ethnic groups when they were same people that colonized Nigeria.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Britain is not the United States.

When Mutalab attempted to blow up a plane, how was it reported? The media simply said " a Nigerian..." not "a man from northern nigeria." How about the woolwich guys that beheaded a man? They were of "Nigerian descent" not "Yoruba descent."

We could either choose to keep dwelling on what the Brits did (which wasn't peculiar to Nigeria), or we could think about ways to make a more perfect union.
Re: Official Visit Of Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa To The United States In July 1961 by Nobody: 6:13am On Jul 09, 2013
infonubia:

You are comparing apples to oranges. Britain is not the United States.

When Mutalab attempted to blow up a plane, how was it reported? The media simply said " a Nigerian..." not "a man from northern nigeria." How about the woolwich guys that beheaded a man? They were of "Nigerian descent" not "Yoruba descent."

We could either choose to keep dwelling on what the Brits did (which wasn't peculiar to Nigeria), or we could think about ways to make a more perfect union.

What has the US contributed to Nigeria in the past and now ? The brits have been here since 1860 and still have influence on Nigeria.If they caused division among Nigerians in the past on the basis of North/South divide and benefitted from such division,why should we trust them in this contemporary era simply because they changed their modus operandi in order to look nicer to us and accept them ?

(1) (Reply)

INCREDIBLE: Rivers Lawmaker Who Battered Others Now Claim To Be Hospitalised / Israel Test-fires Nuclear-capable Ballistic Missile / Nigerian Civil War: How Adekunle, Obasanjo Caused Mass Killings -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.