Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Breastfeeding During Salat? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Breastfeeding During Salat? (7617 Views)

Common Mistake Made During Salat / Tips On How To Concentrate During Salat (prayers) / Tips On How To Concentrate During Salat (prayers) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breastfeeding During Salat? by MzTiletohSet(f): 10:54pm On Jul 09, 2013
Is it possible for me to breastfeed my baby while observing Salat?
Re: Breastfeeding During Salat? by deols(f): 6:15pm On Jul 10, 2013
IF you find it possible, nothing stops you sis.

I have seen women breastfeed while praying.
Re: Breastfeeding During Salat? by bntY: 8:07pm On Jul 10, 2013
@ OP,if 'possible' is ur question, then yes.It's just a matter of you flexing or extendin d neck accordingly and you assuming some awkward position yourself.But I think d appropriate Q is:Is it advisable? and d answer is no,medically speaking now.These are two actions dt require max attention so why would you want to combine them?In such position, dr is high likelyhood d child will aspirate.In an attempt to bend,d nipp.le might slip off and d milk jet spray into d baby's nose or eyes
From islamic perspective,aren't we taught to delay solah when food is ready? so why shld baby's meal time be an exception.
In short,if your baby must eat,take ur time to feed him and say ur solah afterwards.Or delay d feeding till after d solah if d need is not urgent.

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding During Salat? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jul 10, 2013
it is not permissible to breast feed in salah. how do you expose the aura that you are supposed to cover all the time in salah that you are required to cover the aura? i cant imagine it acceptable. it goes against the grain of the salah requirement itself.
Re: Breastfeeding During Salat? by siddiq202(m): 11:15am On Jul 11, 2013
RoyPCain: it is not permissible to breast feed in salah. how do you expose the aura that you are supposed to cover all the time in salah that you are required to cover the aura? i cant imagine it acceptable. it goes against the grain of the salah requirement itself.

I don't know whether it is permissible or not but I know she can do it without exposing her body. Some women breastfeed their baby in public without people noticing
Re: Breastfeeding During Salat? by dominique(f): 4:04pm On Jul 11, 2013
Its not convenient to breastfeed while observing solat (except you're siting which i don't really subscribe to). For me, i pray using short Surahs, so the entire solat is not more than 10 minutes. While supplicating, I place her on my lap and breastfeed her. Ofcourse, i only do this indoors when its absolutely necessary.

1 Like

Re: Breastfeeding During Salat? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jul 11, 2013
Islam: breastfeeding and salaat, obligatory prayer, feeding babies

en.allexperts.com › Homework Help › Islam › Islam

Islam/breastfeeding and salaat

Expert: Mustika Rahmi - 1/22/2011

Question
are my prayers accepted if they are late due to breastfeeding, babies and children have rights over their parents but if I am feeding him and the time for salaat comes in he makes me late for it. Or if he is not on my brea.st and feeding comes in at the same time as salaat are my prayers void? My question is just a great concern regarding feeding and salaat. I appreciate your time. Sister Layla

Answer
Salaam. Sister Layla, it's the right of children to get breastfeeding from their mother; and a mother's duty to do it. The Prophet (pbuh) sent the message of Islam suited with our ability to follow it. Allah won't burden us any obligatory beyond our capacity. I don't see any reason to be late to perform shalat. I think you may adjust your time with the schedule to breastfeeding your loving baby. Like Fajr prayer (very short period- approximately 1 hr), and prayer is only take for few mins for Fajr prayer, if I can't say 5 mins. Your husband may help you to look after the baby during that very short prayer time. Now, for Duhr prayer, the period is bit longer, around 3,5 hours until Asr prayer. There is no reason to be late to perform shalah as Allah gives us 3.5 hrs, and again it is only take for few mins, additionally you may perform the Sunnah (Dzikr, Qur'an recitation etc) while the baby sleep. Asr prayer due around 2-3 hours (depend on the region), again I don't see any reason for us to be late to perform shalah. I'm sure your husband is always ready to hold the baby when you perform salah, only for few mins but then perform Sunnah while the baby sleep.

Dear Sister, let's be fair and be just to Allah by performing shalah within due time. It's our duty to fulfill His rights - performing obligatory prayer. And pray may HE gives you ease in this issue so that the baby still get his/ her right (breastfeeding) while you are also able to perform your prayer without being late.

“Wallahu A’lam Bis Showab” … and “And all the praise and thanks be to Allah, Lord of the Alameen (mankind, jinns and all that exists).”
Re: Breastfeeding During Salat? by tpia5: 9:59pm On Jul 12, 2013
siddiq202:

I don't know whether it is permissible or not

true talk, nobody does.

i'm also befuddled by the question.
Re: Breastfeeding During Salat? by deols(f): 7:21pm On Jul 13, 2013
While I agree with what bnty said about the milk spilling and all, I actually think there are reasons a woman might need to breastfeed while praying(even if she would have to sit down).

Most women simply just keep bearing and rearing from after the 9th month of their marriage until menopause(too much exaggeration, I agree).

A woman usually has to attend to the one she's breastfeeding, the toddler and school goer. Plus cater for her husband(a typical nija setting in mind).

How much time do u think she's got?

For tahajjud as an example, she has a limited time. If her child wakes up crying at this time and it is almost time for fajr, there is no reason why she should not breastfeed as she prays even if she would have to sit down.

But if she has what it takes- help.from others etc then she shouldnt have to do that.

A hadith comes to mind of the grandsons of the prophet(S.A.W) who would play on his back while he was praying.

They were playing and not eating and they were tolerated let alone a crying child.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Al-Razi - Freethinker of the week. Can Al-Razi Really be considered A Muslim? / Announcing Funerals Via Modern Means Of Communication / Jesus' Teachings In The Quran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.