Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,936 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife (63375 Views)

Remembering The Lost Comrades- OAU July 10 Cult Attack / 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! / Oau Ile Ife 2009/2010 Admission List! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by misterh(m): 7:02pm On Jul 10, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Faculty of EDM is on the way to Tonkere, where Wole Soyinka, Gov Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State, Secretary of Edo State Gov't, Julius Ihonvbere; Dipo Fashina, Dele Momodu and other radicals set up Radio Kudirat to tackle Sanni Abacha.
An EDM student told me that that long building is going to house their faculty. The present building they are using is 'borrowed' from Agric. The present Agric building is the first building in OAU and was the first Senate building.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 10, 2013
bellong: My students refused to graduate.... grin grin grin grin grin grin
That must be Prof. Ako of Geology when he was the Dean of Science. As is the tradition during convocations, deans call all the students and the programmes. But when Ako was doing this, knowing full well that nobody was graduating from the department, he made the statement.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 10, 2013
bellong: My students refused to graduate.... grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by bellong: 7:10pm On Jul 10, 2013
Ola Johnson:
That must be Prof. Ako of Geology when he was the Dean of Science. As is the tradition during convocations, deans call all the students and the programmes. But when Ako was doing this, knowing full well that nobody was graduating from the department, he made the statement.

Was it Ako or TR Ajayi?
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Afam4eva(m): 7:11pm On Jul 10, 2013
I heard OAU has the most beautiful campus in NIgeria.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by bellong: 7:15pm On Jul 10, 2013
Afam4eva: I heard OAU has the most beautiful campus in AFRICA.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Tolexander: 7:24pm On Jul 10, 2013
misterh: An EDM student told me that that long building is going to house their faculty. The present building they are using is 'borrowed' from Agric. The present Agric building is the first building in OAU and was the first Senate building.
ya!
The building is yet to be finished. It is behind pharmacy and the museum.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Dsage1: 7:29pm On Jul 10, 2013
Afam4eva: I heard OAU has the most beautiful campus in NIgeria.

Yeah, I think so. Check the view of entrance road I posted in page 5.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by longjon: 7:39pm On Jul 10, 2013

You never visited ?
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 10, 2013
Yes, in Africa.

1 Like

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Afam4eva(m): 8:05pm On Jul 10, 2013
longjon:

You never visited ?
Na
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jul 10, 2013
GboyegaD:

Was there any guy that never took that class? Even the religious brothers had friends they visited very often but I may not sure about our DLCF and Alfa counterparts.
I had a class mate who only entered a girls hostel ( moremi) once. That once sef was to create awareness for their fellowship annual program. He attended deeper life students fellowship at old buka. he is now back in ife as a lecturer in elect/ elect dept. I was in ife 01 to 06 so I did not witness the killing but I got plenty gist from roommates/senior colleagues at awo annex facing moz ( my room in part two).
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by 4djustnation: 8:13pm On Jul 10, 2013
I was in part II then. We lost a course mate in the attack. He was in pyschology dept.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 10, 2013
saxywale:
I had a class mate who only entered a girls hostel ( moremi) once. That once sef was to create awareness for their fellowship annual program. He attended deeper life students fellowship at old buka. he is now back in ife as a lecturer in elect/ elect dept. I was in ife 01 to 06 so I did not witness the killing but I got plenty gist from roommates/senior colleagues at awo annex facing moz ( my room in part two).
I never entered any of the female halls except Moz and Akintola (sports) which entered once.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 10, 2013
dnawah: in which of these groups do u belong to then?
A:the people dat romance the books.
B:the people that romance the bottles.
C:the people that romance the babes.
D:all of the above.
E:none of the above.
D. All of the above. grin
Ola Johnson:
I never entered any of the female halls except Moz and Akintola (sports) which entered once.
Geez. how did you manage. That akintola hall ehhhn.na old mama full the place, I don't like going there. grin
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by franktolk(m): 8:24pm On Jul 10, 2013
May all their souls RIP . I was fortunate to have sold the room allocated to me as a final year student in Awo. The guy that was occupying my supposed Bed space was murdered that night . The room is on the ground floor just by the stair case . I'm always thanking God for his Grace and also praying for the repose of the souls of the fallen heroes...

Great Ife !!!!
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 10, 2013
Jarus:

Sometimes, by 2.am, I will wake up and head to Agric to read, from Awo.
ol' boy. Awo to agric at 2am .....u try oooo...lol
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by coolsammy: 8:30pm On Jul 10, 2013
Hmmm, a day hell was let loosed. was staying in room 85 blk 3 then. Africa was staying in room 81 bf he later moved to the exco room in blk 8.Africa does nt use brush rather a chewing stick, does not wear designer clothes rather natives (ankara), uses wooden comb.He is purely african.
came back frm watching d kegites, bf I could settled down in my room, gun shots every where.
Among the falling heroes is Efe (psychology dept).
May their soul continue to rest in peace
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 10, 2013
coolsammy: Hmmm, a day hell was let loosed. was staying in room 85 blk 3 then. Africa was staying in room 81 bf he later moved to the exco room in blk 8.Africa does nt use brush rather a chewing stick, does not wear designer clothes rather natives (ankara), uses wooden comb.He is purely african.
came back frm watching d kegites, bf I could settled down in my room, gun shots every where.
Among the falling heroes is Efe (psychology dept).
May their soul continue to rest in peace
Is it also true that Afrika was not eating rice, beans, spaghetti and other food stuffs that he felt were West but ate eba, pounded yam (iyan), akpu, amala, gbegiri, ewedu, etc?
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by lupey: 8:47pm On Jul 10, 2013
I rep OAU anyday,anytime,even though I didn't count myself lucky to be found there at first. Having experienced life in three Nigerian universities,I can boldly beat my chest and say that OAU has a way of making you struggle,but at the same time affords u d opportunity to discover yourself. The students are like,handpicked cos they are like-minded! Believe it or not,but there's something "spooky" about the school. And,its just unnatural to see a person who passes through the school that just doesn't change one way or the other. The religious-life of the school is outta dis world. That's the only skul I know of,where its fashionable to be a pastor. Right now,pastors are given more recognition than faculty presidents. Lol...sincerely,the school's awesome!

1 Like

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by lupey: 8:47pm On Jul 10, 2013
Afam,those pics are for you wink unfortunately,I didn't witness the crisis.I'm there presently. I assure you that the school is in order and the present vc's tryin his best. The union hasn't been reinstated and aroism is still very much present altho there's a loss of that "professional touch" to it- the fore-fathers,having graduated.
Awo boiz are trying their best,although they have been reduced to jokers who just disrupt religious programs with snide comments(which I must admit,could be hilarious attimes). I for one,am happy without the union,having met and not enjoyed its reign. I was relieved when it was scrapped and I believe students wld tell u that the school has hardly had reasons to protest for any lags on the part of the school administration. All is well!
grin

1 Like

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by scanthecar: 8:57pm On Jul 10, 2013
I was in 400 level (mech eng) Blk 2 rm 56. I became a spiderman that morning. Came down from 2nd floor without using the stairs and headed straight for the bush behind the Awo hall football pitch. It was a morning that most of us experienced what I call "grossly tangible fear". Lest I forget after returning from the bush, some awo boys still raised a false alarm (a process popularly called "ARO" in those days).
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by dayokanu(m): 8:58pm On Jul 10, 2013
franktolk: May all their souls RIP . I was fortunate to have sold the room allocated to me as a final year student in Awo. The guy that was occupying my supposed Bed space was murdered that night . The room is on the ground floor just by the stair case . I'm always thanking God for his Grace and also praying for the repose of the souls of the fallen heroes...

Great Ife !!!!

That was the room where Efe was killed. I heard he was sick that was why he couldnt run through the back door like his other roommates
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by francescainnoce(f): 9:04pm On Jul 10, 2013
I was only 8 at that time ,in lagos but I cant help but read from the ZERO PAGE TO THE LAST. after reading through I came to a conclusion that indeed those guys are HEROS.........MAY THEIR SOUL REST IN PEACE CONTINOUSLY........AMEN
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by scanthecar: 9:18pm On Jul 10, 2013
I still remember one of the posters of the student union concerning an event to honour them that ended with "Afrika and the rest must not die in vain, their blood must water the tree of freedom". I went home on one occasion the repeated the quotation to my dad who got confused because it is the blood of "tyrants" that waters the tree of freedom and not heros - Student union and their wrong usage of english language in those days (Tony fash - "if something is not wrong with Lamikanra; Lamikanra must be wrong with something"wink. Tony fashayo was rusticated from year 5 medical school OAU when I was in 100 level (1995) and readmitted at my convocation 6 years later. Great Ife!!!
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jul 10, 2013
Unionism in OAU is such that does not stop amazing people. Seeing unionists quoting Karl Marx, Lenin, Churchill, Amilcar Cabra, etc shows how vast they are.
Election Debate in Amphitheatre can only be described as show of intellectualism.

1 Like

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by phyktor(m): 9:30pm On Jul 10, 2013
bellong:

Was it Ako or TR Ajayi?
nt TR ajayi, bt d oda ajayi, J.O ajayi i fink
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Lakkyjay(m): 9:39pm On Jul 10, 2013
What happened can be summarized this way: cultism was greatly condemn by OAU student union and students have a culture of openly dealing with cultist. punishment ranges from maximun shishi i.e maximum beating to stripping them naked and singing and making them dance to the mockery songs. OAU student union even goes to the extent of going to other schools to fight their cultist on their behalf.

invariably what happened that day was a planned National cultist attack on OAU student union. i could remember the chorous of " Live and lets Live" " Give us our space". it was indeed a very sad day. God will surely judge the killers.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Jman3(m): 9:44pm On Jul 10, 2013
Omo!, i was a jambite when the incident occcurred. It was tragic! Africa was shot in the head (from the reports) and he was rushed to the health center first before being rushed to a hospital in town. He died on the way! The following morning was very interesting. Students (including our so called aje-butter babes) formed groups, mobilized vehicles and visited all motor parks/garages in search of the cultists. Come and see action!!! The "intelligence" unit of the Student Union has already gotten the names of the cultists and where they came from(i dont know how). One of them was caught and shishi maximum was dished out to him. Even the ladies jostled to join the "shishi team". During the search for the principal 'actor', a friend of mine was picked up cos he bore the first 2 names of the cultist.
And when they found the main guy nko News raced round the school like wild fire that they had caught him and his trial was to be conducted at Amphi theatre. The hall was filled (overfilled sef)to capacity. Then Lanre "Legacy" (student union president) walked in (that guy get too much action for body sef!!!). His first words were "GREATEST IFE!!!" The response from all was a resounding "GREAT!!!" Even our lecturers were there also shouting "Great" with us students.
I remember so many funny incidents (fetching water at the stream behind moz, trekking to gate through road 1 when school is on strike shocked, going for angel of chemistry lectures at 5am, eating amala at old buka, walking into Moz to toast a babe with butterflies in my stomach etc).
Ife students always stand together whereever they meet in life and protect one another.
The school is filled with so many memories. OAU for life.

3 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by fullblast(m): 9:49pm On Jul 10, 2013
dolphinife:

BROS, lemme explain the little i knw about the incidence to you for your understanding.

Before 1999 incidence, OAU is the headquarters of cult groups. The cult groups were very oppressive and aggressive. The students studied under fear and threat to peace and safety. It got to a stage that nobody could stand up to face these cultists. Then, Iwilade came to the fore. He was a law student and immediately he got admitted, he joined the student union and was very proactive.

As a law student, the students were suppose to be in black and white dress code, but he refuse this dress code and opted for native dress which single him out from the masses. The lecturers frustrated him because of this dress code and thereafter, he sue the school management and faculty of law to court stressing that he has the right to wear anything he felt he loved. He unilaterally won this case through the instrumentality of Gani Fawehinmi. From this time onward, he was seen as a thorn in the flesh of the school management.

Immediately he became the secretary of the student union, he rallied the students against the cultists. i was tod that because his father was an herbalist, he(iwilade) was able to confront these cultists head-long. Before you know it, the cultists from other institutions felt threatened by this single boy and decided to deal with him. So a plan was deviced to strike on the day of WORLD KEGGITE DAY because they knew that iwilade was a prominent member of the group.

On the day of this keggite day, Iwilade was so drunk that he has to be taken to his room to sleep being late in the night. immediately afterwards, the cultists struck and made way to iwilade's room and killed him. On the day of his burial, he's father said had it been that his son was not drunk, nobody can ever kill him.

contrary to this story, there was no love lost between the VC and Iwilade and we were told that the VC was head-bent to take iwilade out of his way, and the plan was executed with mastery. AJE KE LANA, OMO KU LONI......TA NI KO MO PE AJE ANA LO PA OMO JEE

THAT'S MY SUBMISSION
. OAU was never d HEADquaters for cultists. Before n after 1999,Great IFE had n will always have a culture that perceive cultism as a taboo.Cultists don't fly in IFE... Nobody can intimidate any student be you rich,connected,handsome,proud,ugly,poor,short...Always a level playing ground for everyone; Apart from d Tyrant VC wale Omole. MARCH 1999:There was a night party off-campus in which some male students verbally abused each other over a girl.One ǿſ them,On his way †φ drop off same girl, was attacked by suspected cultists because he messed Wt them at d party;his car was vandalised n pushed in2 d gutter in front ǿſ Moz hall around 4am. The victim reported †φ SUG under Lanre legacy(pres), latE george Afrika (Gen sec)n Idris FARO(PRO) They swung in2 action †φ arrest d culprits which lead †φ more revealations n arrests ǿſ other unknown cultists( one ǿſ was in Geology part IV, d other accountingg part II and 7 others). AWO hall was d venue ǿſ interogation n maximum shishi. AK47 n fully loaded mAgazine were among other items recovered from them. The 9 were paraded around campus in boxers from Awo †φ SUG building until handed over 2d police via sch authority. Then IFE was closed down same March 'cos ǿſ poor student welfarism for 3months. MID-JUNE 1999: OAU resumed but d only strange thing that i noticed was that there were more strange faces on campus n New buka n wt its car park was always filled †φ d brim about 2weeks †φ d JULY 10 ATTACK(a reprisal for d march arrest) GEORGE AKINYEMI IWILADE aka Afrika n others RIP

3 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by ccchris(m): 9:51pm On Jul 10, 2013
I was just 10 when i heard abt d death of eviano fondly called by his mum,they were my family frends,i heard how he was killed when returning from d reading room,hw time flies,could rememeber the tears of The mum<blessed memory>,hw she cried bitterly nd had to be injected when the news was broken to her,REST IN PEACE brother
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by yoged(m): 9:52pm On Jul 10, 2013
Mennnnn, suscribing seriously. Read it from page 1 to page 7. R.I.P to dose that died on that particular day. Despite that ife is 30mins drive to my hometown, i ended up schooling in Unilorin, but i really love O.A.U due to 'em efizzi n most of my peeps,aunts graduated from dia. What rily baffles me is that, those cultist might still be alive today and some might even be reading all these comments tonight. God sees una ooooo and he'll judge you.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Expulsion Of Babcock Female Student In Leaked Sex Video / Top 50 Universities In Africa 2015 - Latest Ranking / Male And Female Condoms On The Back Of A Primary School Textbook (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.