Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,168 members, 7,821,962 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. (20061 Views)

Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW / Meet The Only Two Nigeria Leaders That Publicly Declared Their Assets / Photo Of Nigeria's Leaders: Past And Present. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by 1shortblackboy: 1:25pm On Jul 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Is that a kaftan he is wearing?

First of all, pure Ijaw attire must include the following:

for commoner (due to their water-borne culture):

-shirtless (or if kaftan. it should be that very long one. not the pakistani style one worn by GEJ.)

- white body/face paint

- red beads (very imp.)

- waist wrap.

- no ridiculous cowboy hat

for high rankers:

-long embroidered kaftan

-waist wrap

- red beads (very imp)

- Ijaw headdress (not western style hat/top hat)
simple question are u ijaw?
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Oildichotomy(m): 1:47pm On Jul 16, 2013
Quite an interesting argument I may say-- Those of us who thinks cultural attires presentation has no way of shaping our inner bigotry should have some deep self- examination. There's an inner feud in the NA -- you hardly see members decking in other ethnic groups attire BECAUSE it's so wrong to do that. Even the rare occasions the principal members wear some for some propagandish cross- attires-- they remove it after the occasion. We're too tribalistic in this country for "leaders" a portray their own ethnic group attire as being African.
Infact bringing it home to the masses-- how many times do you really see an Ibo dress as a yoruba or vice versa.?
The truth is this traditional attires promote ethnocentrism, bigotry, tribalism and some xenophobic tendencies-- if we must be "African" by attires- let us restrict it to informal settings not wearing your babanriga to formal occasions please!! Politicians take NOTE

2 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Santi19(m): 1:52pm On Jul 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Its not. India has got more than 1500 languages. (not counting the dialects.)

A detribalized leader cannot lead a Tribal NAtion.
Bullsh!t!!

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 16, 2013
Oildichotomy^:
Quite an interesting argument I may say-- Those of us who thinks cultural attires presentation has no way of shaping our inner bigotry should have some deep self- examination. There's an inner feud in the NA -- you hardly see members decking in other ethnic groups attire BECAUSE it's so wrong to do that. Even the rare occasions the principal members wear some for some propagandish cross- attires-- they remove it after the occasion. We're too tribalistic in this country for "leaders" a portray their own ethnic group attire as being African.
Infact bringing it home to the masses-- how many times do you really see an Ibo dress as a yoruba or vice versa.?
The truth is this traditional attires promote ethnocentrism, bigotry, tribalism and some xenophobic tendencies-- if we must be "African" by attires- let us restrict it to informal settings not wearing your babanriga to formal occasions please!! Politicians take NOTE

they want to live in denial

In a country where every single policy is viewed through the prism of tribe and ethnicity

why does the President over-emphasize his tribe in his day to day dressing? Bone headed I think!

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by playboy19(m): 2:36pm On Jul 16, 2013
@op, this is a pure case of misplaced priority. Does it really matter what 'the boss' wears? I say, wear whatever the f*uck you want, just get the job done. When you are the boss, you don't have to wear stuffs to please nobody. Just get comfortable and get the job done.

Though, the above may not be the best advice for underlings and people new in business. It's only applicable to bosses. When you're up, people don't judge you by what you wear any longer, in fact you don't have to say sh*t. Your track record will speak up for you.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by mcgaius: 2:44pm On Jul 16, 2013
The dress code of our leaders should be an issue for concern especially now that We are aware that a whole lot of them are touts considering the exchange of blows we have witnessed in the past and also the recent development in rivers house of assembly.Who knows they might conceal AK 47 and matchets in those flying carpet they call Agbada.Pls. Security Operatives,take note.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:19pm On Jul 16, 2013
mikeansy:

Your still missing the point of some of the arguments on here. These countries you give as examples have a monolithic culture. If all of Nigeria are Hausa Fulani I will not be presenting my argument at all

Who told you that? COuntries like UAE, Oman, Yemen and Saudi Arabia ahave diverse tribes and different tribes have different elements of their costume. for example , some tribe in Saudi Arabia wear flowers on their heads.

Even the colour of their head-scarf can denote tribal identity.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:22pm On Jul 16, 2013
NEROSKY:

Nonsense, suit might change the way of our thinking, getting things done, not coming to public with nonsense wears, is just annoying seen our rulers wear that trash on public occasions... At times i ask why did we gain independence Just see us & south Africans...

Beside, if you don't like modernisation or western things, stop using their things such as phones laptops, cars n everything that comes from their... Our presiodiot would have trekked to china... Nonsense!

who Sir are you to enforce your western pant and shirt on us and our rulers. GO AWAY COLONIST!

if you are in Rome, do as Romans do. If you want to lead Romans, behave and dress and look and be like a Roman.

who told you suit is modernization? You are trash.

3 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 16, 2013
Oildichotomy^:

I thought about your point, but it doesn't make much sense. Cultural attires are cultural attires and a bigot is a bigot; I don't really see the relation between the two. Bad people will always find reasons to be chauvinists and there are many other things like the speaker's accent,religion, name and a list of other things that bigots will use to discriminate if they want. So should we all stop using any name that denotes our tribes at formal functions too . How does the use of foreign wears solve the problem of tribalism? How exactly?

The statement in green is very heavy and you will need to elaborate on that... Tribalism and other social vices will NOT be stopped or reduced in any way simply because our officials stopped wearing trads... besides the thing no go even fit most of them sef. I just can't imagine a 55-five year old 'pot-bellied' Nigerian in suit. undecided

The only way forward for us all is to accept our diversity. Running away from it solves nothing. Abeg make them dey rock trads jor. It is good. cool

3 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nairaanddollar: 4:14pm On Jul 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

who Sir are you to enforce your western pant and shirt on us and our rulers. GO AWAY COLONIST!

if you are in Rome, do as Romans do. If you want to lead Romans, behave and dress and look and be like a Roman.

who told you suit is modernization? You are trash.
suit is modernization. If u watch movies u will see how europeans have evolved in dressing. Is the cap the president wears not western. Look at japan and china they didnt buy foreign religion but bought modern way of dressing. Again i say modernization is not westernization.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 16, 2013
Nairaanddollar: suit is modernization. If u watch movies u will see how europeans have evolved in dressing. Is the cap the president wears not western. Look at japan and china they didnt buy foreign religion but bought modern way of dressing. Again i say modernization is not westernization.

Mordern way of dressing? grin

Yeah some form of modernization isn't westernization, I agree, but have you paid any attention to the use of African attires too? Have you noticed how much they have evolved over time? Do you agree that there is nothing "un-modern" about the use of beautifully and ingeniously well designed traditional outfits, whether it's for formal or informal events? Mr man, the use of trads is also part of modernization. Everything is about perception... if you don't see it as I see it, no biggie... If I will represent Nigeria anywhere, I will rock my trads cool don't give me that modernization argument please.

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:42pm On Jul 16, 2013
Nairaanddollar: suit is modernization. If u watch movies u will see how europeans have evolved in dressing. Is the cap the president wears not western. Look at japan and china they didnt buy foreign religion but bought modern way of dressing. Again i say modernization is not westernization.

they modernized their OWN attire you mean.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Oildichotomy(m): 5:14pm On Jul 16, 2013
ekwah:

So should we all stop using any name that denotes our tribes at formal functions too . How does the use of foreign wears solve the problem of tribalism? How exactly?
The same way English Language helped the problem of inter-tribal Communication to a large extent. Until we start seeing ourselves from a National perspective rather than ethnicity--- The '' Where you're from?" cliché is eating us up without we knowing .NB I didn't really say it "causes" tribalism--- I said it "promotes" it
ekwah:
The only way forward for us all is to accept our diversity
Accepting our "diversity" does not imply fronting for a particular ethnic group or wearing a single cultural attire that represent your ethnicity. Why don't they wear attires that cut across all major groups -- if they're really serious playing the African diversity card.
P.S- I'm an X-generation dude with strong traditional values --- and I sure know when to draw the line between the two realities of civilization.--- Just so you know:: I don't wear suit on my casual Fridays---i rock my native with the bowler hat garnished with a stretchable Walking stick ! No time ***winks ***

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 16, 2013
Nairaanddollar: suit is modernization. If u watch movies u will see how europeans have evolved in dressing. Is the cap the president wears not western . Look at japan and china they didnt buy foreign religion but bought modern way of dressing. Again i say modernization is not westernization.

very good point!

Those who make noise about preserving our culture and rejecting colonialism do not even know that the caps especially those worn in the South South were actually brought by the white man during slavery in exchange of slaves!

If anything some of the so called attires we want to hold on to actually represent colonialism because they are a symbol of the worst part of the black man's history!

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Tayeni(m): 6:01pm On Jul 16, 2013
KenGali: I find it funny that people in hot tropical climate want their president to be wearing a (suites) design made for cold, shivering cold climate.
Try wearing a suit to work everyday for a year before making this suggestion. The president should wear whatever he is comfortable with, and aligns with any message he wishes to send across.
I feel it doesn't hv to b a suit....it could b a simple caftan(long or short) & d sokoto.....or a dress shirt and a pant. Do you knw how much a three piece agbada costs?I'm sure our minimum wage can't cover it......and a LG chairman is expected to wear one for each day of d week to d office. Tell me hw won't he loot d "booty" to maintain dt style. I own a beautiful, heavily embroidered & well tailored agbada &its one of my favs. But still maintain its nt an office wear.

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by wy2000(m): 6:03pm On Jul 16, 2013
hotmas911: just wondering why Chinese public officials dress for business while conducting state's business and our own officials dressed like they are in traditional ceremony. I mean look at our president and the Chinese president. One seems smarter than the other just by the appearance. Or ..

Emancipate your self from mental slavery. ~ Bob Marley

Its ironic that you are criticizing one of the best things other Africans admire us for.

Nigeria is is largest country and Africa and represent it by proudly wearing our traditional dresses. Why must we sell our culture because we want to look smart to the west. If you think suit makes you look smart, you must have lost you pride as an African. Next you will also demand that we bleach our skins, and lose your language and stop eating your native foods, because we want to appear smarter to some people in the west!

So Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala will look smarter than the world acknowledges when she trades her native cloth and head tie for western clothes?

India and Arabs wear their national dress proudly, and i dont see anybody who thinks they are not smart!

4 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by hotmas911(m): 8:11pm On Jul 16, 2013
wy2000:

Emancipate your self from mental slavery. ~ Bob Marley

Its ironic that you are criticizing one of the best things other Africans admire us for.

Nigeria is is largest country and Africa and represent it by proudly wearing our traditional dresses. Why must we sell our culture because we want to look smart to the west. If you think suit makes you look smart, you must have lost you pride as an African. Next you will also demand that we bleach our skins, and lose your language and stop eating your native foods, because we want to appear smarter to some people in the west!

So Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala will look smarter than the world acknowledges when she trades her native cloth and head tie for western clothes?

India and Arabs wear their national dress proudly, and i dont see anybody who thinks they are not smart!
u dont get it. What is culture? Is the cap on GEJ african? In fact if we want to preserve our culture we should stop this democracy, because its not our culture. U see countries like japan, south korea, taiwan, china, israel & even Turkey u didnt compare us with but india and arabs. I think u are not being objective in this 21st century.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nairaanddollar: 8:46pm On Jul 16, 2013
How do u expect thugs to be in formal dress?
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 16, 2013
This is a very useless thread that ricks of inferiority complex.Accept it or not, it's the fact.
I'm glad there are many Nigerians that don't agree with this slave mentality I'm reading.
What's the point of "looking smart" if you're not actually smart.
What's the point of "looking respectable" if you can't demand that respect with your deeds.
I've seen too many threads criticizing the way Nigerian leaders dress and it's becoming very embarrassing.

According to some people the only way to look smart, look presentable, create peace in the country and probably achieve anything good as a leader is by wearing suits WOW! shocked
To sum it all up; our traditional way of dressing is not a very good way of dressing, therefore; our native attires should not be worn when meeting with other leaders in order not to be seen as "less" than them. Hell no! It's a big shame!
I hope you guys also let Scottish men know about your suggestion when it comes to dress code after all they wear their traditional kilt. You guys should also let them know that the only way to look smart is by wearing a suit..

I'm glad cause I know majority of Nigerians don't think like.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by khrisponty(m): 12:19am On Jul 17, 2013
The best dress code for them would be; Integrity,honor,transparency and efficiency. What a wonderful outfit that would be. Oh btw can I ask when last you had uninterrupted electricity for 12hrs? If you can't remember then dress code should be the least of your concern.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by sambos994(m): 3:18am On Jul 17, 2013
NEROSKY:

Nonsense, suit might change the way of our thinking, getting things done, not coming to public with nonsense wears, is just annoying seen our rulers wear that trash on public occasions... At times i ask why did we gain independence Just see us & south Africans...

Beside, if you don't like modernisation or western things, stop using their things such as phones laptops, cars n everything that comes from their... Our presiodiot would have trekked to china... Nonsense!

This is the biggest load of BULLS**T I've ever read, and i've read a lot of bulls**t on NL. Traditional outfits trash? Are you sure you're Nigerian?
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 2:24am On Jul 18, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
Representatives of Swaziland to the United Nations. Dont give a f*ck aboutwhat others think. cool

looking like they fell from the skies into the hall cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Tayeni(m): 8:28am On Jul 18, 2013
grin

looking like they fell from the skies into the hall cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy[/quote] I think they forgot their spears and shields at home.....d look aint complete. After d conference, they r off to chasing monkeys & lions.

1 Like

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 01, 2013
See Obasanjo and Carter donkey years ago. I can't even imagine our dear OBJ on suit. grin

See how OBJ look like the boss!

2 Likes

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by hotmas911(m): 10:47am On Aug 02, 2013
ekwah: See Obasanjo and Carter donkey years ago. I can't even imagine our dear OBJ on suit. grin

Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by hotmas911(m): 10:49am On Aug 02, 2013
ekwah: See Obasanjo and Carter donkey years ago. I can't even imagine our dear OBJ on suit. grin

looking like the boss is not the same as being the boss.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 02, 2013
hotmas911: looking like the boss is not the same as being the boss.

That is a completely different argument. The topic is about dress codes so our points should be strictly based on appearances. OBJ looks great in that photo cool

#TradsRock! daz all.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by hotmas911(m): 3:38pm On Aug 02, 2013
ekwah:

That is a completely different argument. The topic is about dress codes so our points should be strictly based on appearances. OBJ looks great in that photo cool

#TradsRock! daz all.
yes sir.
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by Emisco3310(m): 3:19pm On Jan 08, 2014
ezeagu: This is the best:

are u sure?
Re: The Best Dress-Code For Nigeria's Leaders And Politicians. by ezeagu(m): 9:42pm On Jan 08, 2014
Emisco3310:
are u sure?

I don't know.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Soldiers With Padlocked Mouths Deployed For Election @ Oshodi / Only PDP Can Solve Nigeria’s Economic Problems- Gov. Emmanuel / Fani-Kayode: Seek Redress In Court, Witnesses And Evidence Readily Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.