Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,863 members, 7,821,011 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Plan To Have Lagos State Driving License Ahead - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Plan To Have Lagos State Driving License Ahead (1314 Views)

Amaechi Was Spotted In Maitama Driving A Range Rover By Himself / How Rivers Senators Plan To Pull Amaechi Down At Screening / Obasanjo Visits FRSC For His Driving License (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plan To Have Lagos State Driving License Ahead by zigam(m): 4:03pm On May 20, 2008
Hope most of you have heard the move to have Lagos State Driving License?

I was just informed that soon any Driver within Lagos without Lagos State Driving License will have his or her vehicle impounded. Lagos State now put more emphasis on State Driving License all in the bid to generate more revenue. However, another school of thought has it that if Lagos State Government enforces such law, then Drivers with Lagos State Driving License should drive in Lagos State and state roads within Lagos State only. They went further to say that anyone caught with State Driving License on Federal Roads in Lagos State will also be forced to face the law i.e if the person is without Federal Driving License. Can this be possible in Nigeria? Hope, every Driver should be prepared to have 36 Driving Licenses because every state will come up with such law.
Re: Plan To Have Lagos State Driving License Ahead by Kobojunkie: 4:40pm On May 20, 2008
zigam:

Hope most of you have heard the move to have Lagos State Driving License?

I was just informed that soon any Driver within Lagos without Lagos State Driving License will have his or her vehicle impounded. Lagos State now put more emphasis on State Driving License all in the bid to generate more revenue. However, another school of thought has it that if Lagos State Government enforces such law, then Drivers with Lagos State Driving License should drive in Lagos State and state roads within Lagos State only. They went further to say that anyone caught with State Driving License on Federal Roads in Lagos State will also be forced to face the law i.e if the person is without Federal Driving License. Can this be possible in Nigeria? Hope, every Driver should be prepared to have 36 Driving Licenses because every state will come up with such law.

@Poster, have you ever lived in any country where states actually have their own license?? Well, if you have not, here is a bit on how it works. As long as you live in one state, you only need to get the license from that state. If you travel to another state, your local license is still valid. However, when you move to another state, you are then encouraged to get a new license from the new state when your old one expires. Is that really a bad idea for Nigeria?? I believe if YarAdua allows the plan to go ahead, then I see no reason why the second school of thought should apply. Considering that the police are currently under federal hands and so they have to deal with the new move.
Re: Plan To Have Lagos State Driving License Ahead by zigam(m): 5:00pm On May 20, 2008
@Kobojunkie,

It will still cause trouble in Nigeria because Lagos State Government knows that there are more vehicles in Lagos State than any other states in Nigeria and that is why they are coming with this idea. They will generate more revenue than other states. To me, it’s a selfish idea. Remember, other states may now look for some areas they can generate more revenue and then come up with their new ideas.

Such as enforcing a law that every oil firm must register each oil well and such registration must be renewed on monthly, quarterly or yearly basis. Hope, you get it? Each state must look for a possible way of making money.
Re: Plan To Have Lagos State Driving License Ahead by Kobojunkie: 5:08pm On May 20, 2008
zigam:

@Kobojunkie,

It will still cause trouble in Nigeria because Lagos State Government knows that there are more vehicles in Lagos State than any other states in Nigeria and that is why they are coming with this idea. They will generate more revenue than other states. To me, it’s a selfish idea. Remember, other states may now look for some areas they can generate more revenue and then come up with their new ideas.
Such as enforcing a law that every oil firm must register each oil well and such registration must be renewed on monthly, quarterly or yearly basis. Hope, you get it? Each state must look for a possible way of making money.

I really do not get how you came up with this being selfish. Why is lagos not allowed to tap into this area to get money to fix roads and provide revenue for maintainance projects for itself? I mean you stated yourself that there are more cars in lagos, meaning the roads will need frequent repairs compared to roads that are not plowed regularly and as frequently in other states. So Lagos will spend more than other states in reparing it's roads and so coming up with this plan will help reduce the cost burden.
Other states can as well tap into this idea to repair their roads. If they do not have as many cars, then their roads do not deal with the same level of wear and tear and so they do not need as much money as lagos needs due to congestion issues. If they choose to enforce laws demanding oil wells register their wells or renew monthly or whatever, it is up to the people and the companies to decide if the deal is worth it or not. I mean these companies can always pack up and move to other sites and those states loose. Each State HAS TO look for a way to get revenue for sure and it is up to the states to decide which is best way. But stating one states move is selfish cause others do not have the same problems is to where you loose me.
Re: Plan To Have Lagos State Driving License Ahead by landis(m): 5:13pm On May 20, 2008
It will still cause trouble in Nigeria because Lagos State Government knows that there are more vehicles in Lagos State than any other states in Nigeria and that is why they are coming with this idea.  They will generate more revenue than other states.  To me, it’s a selfish idea.  Remember, other states may now look for some areas they can generate more revenue and then come up with their new ideas.

thats exactly what needs to be done.

each state should be competitive. Lagos should not be subsidizing other states in this matter; it's man made.

In cases of 'mineral resources(non man-made): oil, gold, etc'; this is by heritage; as such owners should keep at least 60% and the others could share rest.

Another state could make security, zero-corruption its unique competitive advantage; and you will see people moving to live + work in such state.

This is best way to develop, I live in place where states are practically show-casing to new graduates why they should come and live + work in their states.
Re: Plan To Have Lagos State Driving License Ahead by zigam(m): 5:25pm On May 20, 2008
Well, by using the word “selfish” is not meant to insult Lagos State government, but I was trying to say that such law may be an invitation to some obnoxious laws from other states. Those states can tell you that ecological problem, and fishery or farming due to oil spillage and these can be good reasons to justify their claims. Lagos State don’t suffer all these the way some states do and before you know it, you are in resource control and secession.
Re: Plan To Have Lagos State Driving License Ahead by Kobojunkie: 5:31pm On May 20, 2008
zigam:

Well, by using the word “selfish” is not meant to insult Lagos State government, but I was trying to say that such law may be an invitation to some obnoxious laws from other states. Those states can tell you that ecological problem, and fishery or farming due to oil spillage and these can be good reasons to justify their claims. Lagos State don’t suffer all these the way some states do and before you know it, you are in resource control and secession.
You are trying two completely unrelated things here. What has oil to do with licensese?? I mean we are speaking of driver's license here and not the oil. If other states have valid reasons to tax the oil companies more in their states, then they should go ahead and do it. If the laws are extreme, the companies can and should fight it. But Lagos is not tied to the waste of any other state and vice versa. Laws that do not make sense are supposed to be put down by the people and so people are made more effective in deciding the fate of their states. All good reasons why this should move forward if you ask me.
Re: Plan To Have Lagos State Driving License Ahead by zigam(m): 5:41pm On May 20, 2008
Kobojunkie:

You are trying two completely unrelated things here. What has oil to do with licensese?? I mean we are speaking of driver's license here and not the oil. If other states have valid reasons to tax the oil companies more in their states, then they should go ahead and do it. If the laws are extreme, the companies can and should fight it. But Lagos is not tied to the waste of any other state and vice versa. Laws that do not make sense are supposed to be put down by the people and so people are made more effective in deciding the fate of their states. All good reasons why this should move forward if you ask me.

Now you are getting my point. We are discussing of Driver’s License and I’m shifting to oil. I believe some states will still shift or reason the way I do if they cannot see anything that will generate revenue for them. This is Nigeria. grin

(1) (Reply)

2011: Godfathers And The Intrigues Ahead / Yar’adua’s Family Threatens To Sue Media Houses / Sanusi Lamido Inviting A Clash From Turai Yar'adua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.