Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. (13947 Views)

The World's Most Educated President Is An African. Find Out Who The Person Is / Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But / Which State Is The Most Educated In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On May 22, 2008
TLolive:

The article is nothing to celebrate over, It is just another evidence of brain drain. a big problem facing underdeveloped countries where most of the educated travel abroad to enrich the economy of the foreign country. It's sad at best.
It's the same with India too. majority of Indians in the US are educated.

I agree with you when you say it is nothing to celebrate. However, when you say brain drain, I am not sure of that one. I know for sure that Nigerians at home are quite educated. I mean I can count the number of graduates I know who live in Nigeria who are relatives. Now consider the number of college graduates who end up going back to obtain a masters just cause they are made to believe it is the only way and majority do that down there.

Another thing to consider is the fact that majority of those here who are supposedly educated do go back to Nigeria for holidays or for one thing or another. If you consider that even with the information provided, the country remains in such a bad shape. So, I don't believe it is a matter of brain drain. This article sort of makes you understand that the problem in Nigeria may have little to do with brain drain but more to do with educated people being apathetic to the situation in the country.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by RichyBlacK(m): 7:06pm On May 22, 2008
nuzo:

Ego massage is what Nigerians are good at. Otherwise, how has all these education reflected on the African environment?
We have had so many cases where Nigerian PHD holders from US comes back to Nigeria, vie for political office and loot more than the illitrate and the ones who have not been outside the country.

These blah blah up here will not make sense to me until it begins to reflect on the Nigerian society. Sorry, no reason to over celebrate. cool

It seems you find it difficult to separate fact from emotion. Your labeling statistical facts as "ego massage" reveals the weight of ignorance pulling down your faculties.

The Nigerians abroad doing well cannot necessarily change Nigeria. I estimate the percentage of Nigerians living outside Africa to be no more than 3 million, which is a mere 2% of the total population in Nigeria. How can approximately 2% of the population change the reality in Nigeria from abroad?

As immigrants in the US, Nigerians are doing very well and that has to be commended instead of scoffed at. When some Nigerians engage in activities like "419", it tarnishes our collective image as Nigerians, however, when they put in time and effort to get educated in some of America's most prestigious colleges, wheel-barrow pushers in China need to shut the hell up!
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 22, 2008
@Richyblack.

There is no need to strangle yourself in order to score a cheap point.  Oh. . i get, your cheap ego? Keep massaging it, after all, that's what Nigerians are known for. "underachieve, over-celebrate" One day Nigerians will begin to block the roads to celebrate their hen giving birth to chicks. Na una go tire, sorry oootongue

As good as this news may sound, i will not over celebrate it for these simple reasons:

1. It does not reflect on the PHD holders who have come back to loot the treasury through politics.
2. Bad news about Nigerians in US supercede the these few good ones.
3. If they are this educated, why do these guys still engage in fraudulent activities? Let me answer that for you; the fraudsters are only 1% among all.  aaaahhh . , . . . . give me a break.

Now, I'm not restricting this argument to only the so called educated Nigerians in US; it goes out to all countries as some one from either UK or Japan will soon come to tell us why we should over-celebrate for achieving very little.

I rather be an uneducated wheel barrow pusher than be the usual Nigerian educated fraudster, scammer, shoplifter etc. Funny thing is that these guys are usually PHD holders. grin

@IPMB

If Richy is bold enough, lets reveal ourselves here or anywhere else he chooses so we can know who is more educated, more responsible and also what we do for a living.
Hand to mouth web designers wey full for here no go allow person rest again?
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 22, 2008
Most of these educated fraudsters in US are the likes of Chimaroke, Ibori and the "dishonourable who died on the floor of the house defending Etteh's corruption.

I still acknowledge and throw way salute for the likes of Prof Bath Nnaji (one in a million), then Bankole and Ngige up to an extent.
If all these guys blabbing here belong to this later group, then you should have understood my point by now. Richy, that includes you, ok? cool
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Kobojunkie: 8:24pm On May 22, 2008
This is not about overlooking the good that Nigerians around the world may have achieved and are working on achieving but I believe we have to be honest with ourselves for once. We claim we are the most educated immigrants in America but what are the fruits from such achievements that we see??

I am not sure of Nigerians being the most educated in America but I do know that africans tend to go in, to get a better education, in most countries as they feel and believe it to be one of the best ways for them to compete with those from other continents. That is fine and dandy but since the 1970's it still remains that even with the high number  of college graduates we can boast of having, both outside and within our own borders, Africa is still considered the "beggar" continent of the world.

We are not the only Africans in America or the rest of the world, but we seem to command the most attention for some reason and it is usually negative attention as the world now considers Nigeria headquarters for fraud. And when I say the world, I mean the world, even people in the middle East tend to take a step back when you mention you are Nigerian. There are kenyans and ghanians and even sudanese every other where you look but Nigerians seem to take the cake when it comes to negative stories, even those not told by the media.

When considering how much the few african's living abroad can do, I say look to mexico for answers. The Mexican economy gets a huge boost from illegal mexicans living in America as many send money home to friends and family still back there. When it comes to Africans, majority of the educated go back home once or twice a year to live in their fancy houses right next to a shanty town with barely no good roads and a huge pile of rubbish about some blocks away. What good does that speak of the educated we have in Africa? What has this high level of education brought us since we started way back in the 70's shipping our people out to get them educated?? Why do we need to celebrate now when nothing has changed to this date?

I guess somefolks would rather I say kudos to all the educated Nigerians around America who do all they can to get a graduate degree or something but I don't feel particularly in a jubiliant mood with this news as it does open one's mind up to the fact that education(which is the easiest fix on the list) may not be the solution to Africa's problem after all.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by TLolive: 2:16am On May 23, 2008
Kobojunkie:

this news as it does open one's mind up to the fact that education(which is the easiest fix on the list) may not be the solution to Africa's problem after all.

undecided undecided

are you kidding me?
just because nigerians that live in the US are educated (not rocket science. they are the ones that usually can afford to immigrate) doesn't give the 120+ million nigerians in nigeria automatic PHDs.
pls don't discount education as part of the solution to Africa's problem.
Many if not most of Africans (IN AFRICA) are uneducated.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Kobojunkie: 2:20am On May 23, 2008
TLolive:

undecided undecided

are you kidding me?
just because nigerians that live in the US are educated (not rocket science. they are the ones that usually can afford to immigrate) doesn't give the 120+ million nigerians in nigeria automatic PHDs.
please don't discount education as part of the solution to Africa's problem.
Many if not most of Africans (IN AFRICA) are uneducated.

How do you know this for sure Or it is better to say that many africans in America are educated but when it comes to thinking same of Africa,  it is far fetched I seriously have NEVER believed education to be the solution to Africa's problem. Infact, I believe it is one of the least of Africa's problems. Case: Edo State proclaimed the state with the highest number of PHD's in Nigeria and that happens to be one of the worst states ridden with corruption and hypocrisy from top to bottom. If you are going to tell me next that the state does not have what is claimed then you should allow me believe that Nigerians are not the most educated in America as all stats point to Africans and not Nigerians. So,  please tell me how all those PHD's mean better africa. If not, then accept that maybe I have a right to my claim just as you have a right to believe as you want to.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by sheniqua: 2:35am On May 23, 2008
nuzo:

@Richyblack.

There is no need to strangle yourself in order to score a cheap point.  Oh. . i get, your cheap ego? Keep massaging it, after all, that's what Nigerians are known for. "underachieve, over-celebrate" One day Nigerians will begin to block the roads to celebrate their hen giving birth to chicks. Na una go tire, sorry oootongue

As good as this news may sound, i will not over celebrate it for these simple reasons:

1. It does not reflect on the PHD holders who have come back to loot the treasury through politics.
2. Bad news about Nigerians in US supercede the these few good ones.
3. If they are this educated, why do these guys still engage in fraudulent activities? Let me answer that for you; the fraudsters are only 1% among all.  aaaahhh . , . . . . give me a break.

Now, I'm not restricting this argument to only the so called educated Nigerians in US; it goes out to all countries as some one from either UK or Japan will soon come to tell us why we should over-celebrate for achieving very little.

I rather be an uneducated wheel barrow pusher than be the usual Nigerian educated fraudster, scammer, shoplifter etc. Funny thing is that these guys are usually PHD holders. grin

@IPMB

If Richy is bold enough, lets reveal ourselves here or anywhere else he chooses so we can know who is more educated, more responsible and also what we do for a living.
Hand to mouth web designers wey full for here no go allow person rest again?

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
I pity the woman that ends up with this fellow.
When she cooks him tasty bitter leaf soup, he'll complain she put too much crayfish
She'll cook a great pot of stew, he'll say the lumps of meat were cut too small.
Can't you stick to topic and for once acknowledge some great Naija positive news.
Haba!
Must we always talk of 419 ?
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 4:04am On May 23, 2008
You are the one diverting from over celebrating your US Naija "PHD" holders to bitter leaf soup and the kind of woman i will end up with. Don't worry for me, my family and friends are already doing that. Just go ahead and worry for your relatives and friends who might be like me, because there is always a black sheep in every family. Thanks for your concern though. tongue

FYI, i did acknowledge the news, but i have refuse to over celebrate it like most gullible Nigerians will. We are tired of buying every cheap propaganda.

Are you by any chance related to the US educated Emeka Nwandu who collaborated with Feghabo and Sam Egwu for more than a decade to rip Ebonyi off through inflated contracts and sub standard delivery? If you are, inform him that the day of reckoning is coming.

In spite of all odds, i still throw way respect give u. kiss
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Tonim(f): 4:19am On May 23, 2008
RichyBlacK:

As immigrants in the US, Nigerians are doing very well and that has to be commended instead of scoffed at. When some Nigerians engage in activities like "419", it tarnishes our collective image as Nigerians, however, when they put in time and effort to get educated in some of America's most prestigious colleges,

wheel-barrow pushers in China need to shut the hell up!

wheel-barrow ke ?

chei, this RichyBlack guy wicked no B small grin

That really was a good one grin
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 4:34am On May 23, 2008
Tonim:

wheel-barrow ke ?

chei, this RichyBlack guy wicked no B small grin

That really was a good one grin

Still one of the known characteristics of most foolish Nigerians; cowardly and never straight forward.

Life depends on how you see it. For me, i will say it again; i rather celebrate the legal wheel barrow pushers anywhere in the world than most of your US/Nigerian PHD drug pushers and 419 kingpins.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Tonim(f): 5:36am On May 23, 2008
nuzo:

Still one of the known characteristics of most foolish Nigerians; cowardly and never straight forward.

Life depends on how you see it. For me, i will say it again; i rather celebrate the legal wheel barrow pushers anywhere in the world than most of your US/Nigerian PHD drug pushers and 419 kingpins.

Cowardly and never straight forward ? Getting a bit sensitive eh ?

Listen, there is a place and time for everything. There is no one disputing the fact that some Nigerians residing in the
west are engaged in fraudulent activities, but when we have occasional good news like this, we should give ourselves
a pat on the back.

It is people like you that would attend a wedding and rather than be happy for the bride and groom, you would go around
telling everyone at the wedding ceremony the number of people the bride and groom have slept with before
they met each other and tied the knot. Most decent people would cast that aside on
someone's wedding day, but definitely not you.

It must be jealousy or lack of accomplishment that is plaguing you. It appears RichyBlack's wheel-barrow
hypothesis is not far-fetched afterall.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Kobojunkie: 5:53am On May 23, 2008
Tonim:

Cowardly and never straight forward ? Getting a bit sensitive eh ?

Listen, there is a place and time for everything. There is no one disputing the fact that some Nigerians residing in the
west are engaged in fraudulent activities, but when we have occasional good news like this, we should give ourselves
a pat on the back.

It is people like you that would attend a wedding and rather than be happy for the bride and groom, you would go around
telling everyone at the wedding ceremony the number of people the bride and groom have slept with before
they met each other and tied the knot. Most decent people would cast that aside on
someone's wedding day, but definitely not you.

It must be jealousy or lack of accomplishment that is plaguing you. It appears RichyBlack's wheel-barrow

How come you get the pat on the back for someone elses effort?? A man steals away on a boat or ship headed to the USA. He is a Nigerian and spends weeks hiding in a container on the sheep having to deal with his own odour and excretes all with hope that when he reaches america, all will be well.

He steals into the country and heads out to do all the dirty jobs he can to eek out a living for himself in the new world. He signs up to get himself educated so he can better compete with the millions of immigrants out here in the new world searching for the same opportunities he is. He finally get's his degree and has scars and stories to show for it and you get the pat on the back for the man's efforts

Over 99% of educated Nigerians, heck even Nigerians in America have never actually benefitted from the government in most anyway. I say 99% cause I realize we have the kids of those in leadership over here and maybe, they can boast of actually attending college in America on the bill of the Nigerian government. But why should Nigeria get a pat on the back when majority are here, to get away from Nigerian and to a better life for themselves in their families
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Tonim(f): 6:00am On May 23, 2008
Kobojunkie:

How come you get the pat on the back for someone elses effort?? A man steals away on a boat or ship headed to the USA. He is a Nigerian and spends weeks hiding in a container on the sheep having to deal with his own odour and excretes all with hope that when he reaches america, all will be well. He steals into the country and heads out to do all the dirty jobs he can to eek out a living for himself in the new world. He signs up to get himself educated so he can better compete with the millions of immigrants out here in the new world searching for the same opportunities he is. He finally get's his degree and has scars and stories to show for it and you get the pat on the back for the man's efforts

Okay, how about "we should give such Nigerians a pat on the back".

Anyway, the point I was making was that, there is a time and place for everything.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 6:06am On May 23, 2008
Tonim:

Jealousy? For what? Did i tell you that I'm uneducated or have Richy told you that he is more educated than i am?
Well, it's OK, as i already knew people will always purposely misquote my stands on this issue to suit their dirty ego.

The wedding example doesn't relate to my stand on this issue, thereby it does not make sense at all.
Marriage is like an institution just like Nigeria. As much as freedom of expression is not limited in wedding places, i have the right to say whatever i want, but it would not make sense as am not part of the institution.
In the case of Nigeria, i was born and bread in Nigeria and that makes me a bona fide member of the institution. Why then would any one want to kill him/her sorry self because i pointed out the truth.

I celebrate good news concerning Naija, but i wont over-celebrate cases like this. Chimaroke, Ibori and co have not given me a better reason to.  Sorrioootongue
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Tonim(f): 6:22am On May 23, 2008
nuzo:

Jealousy? For what? Did i tell you that I'm uneducated or have Richy told you that he is more educated than i am?

Education has nothing to do with this. A person can have 10 Ph.D's from harvard and still be jealous. A person can
be well educated and not have much to show for it, hence, his jealous nature.

nuzo:

The wedding example doesn't relate to my stand on this issue, thereby it does not make sense at all.

The wedding example shows that you are the type of person that doesn't take well to others' success. There
are people that resent anything American; there are even people on this nairaland from the UK that resent
anything american. A lot of this resentment stems from jealousy. They are jealous of the US and its place
in the world in all spheres of life.

nuzo:

I celebrate good news concerning Naija, but i wont over-celebrate cases like this. Chimaroke, Ibori and co have not given me a better reason to. Sorrioootongue

No one is even asking you to celebrate or over-celebrate here. Like I said earlier, there is a place and time for everything. It is one
thing to dispute the figures like some have on this thread, but all your negative rhetoric about American PhD holders carrying
out 419 crimes is really uncalled for on a thread like this.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Tonim(f): 6:28am On May 23, 2008
sheniqua:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

I pity the woman that ends up with this fellow.

When she cooks him tasty bitter leaf soup, he'll complain she put too much crayfish

She'll cook a great pot of stew, he'll say the lumps of meat were cut too small.

Can't you stick to topic and for once acknowledge some great Naija positive news.
Haba!

Must we always talk of 419 ?

Even other Nairalanders, such as sheniqua, have echoed my point that there is a place and time for everything.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 6:50am On May 23, 2008
Tonim:

Education has nothing to do with this. A person can have 10 Ph.D's from harvard and still be jealous. A person can
be well educated and not have much to show for it
, hence, his jealous nature.

Exactly the reason I've refuse to over-celebrate this case.

Tonim:

The wedding example shows that you are the type of person that doesn't take well to others' success. There
are people that resent anything American; there are even people on this nairaland from the UK that resent
anything american. A lot of this resentment stems from jealousy. They are jealous of the US and its place
in the world in all spheres of life.

I will still re post my comment on why the wedding example does not make sense in this issue.

Marriage is like an institution just like Nigeria. As much as freedom of expression is not limited in wedding places, i have the right to say whatever i want, but it would not make sense as am not part of the institution.
In the case of Nigeria, i was born and bread in Nigeria and that makes me a bona fide member of the institution. Why then would any one want to kill him/her self because i pointed out the truth

Tonim:

No one is even asking you to celebrate or over-celebrate here.

Thank you. You are now making use of the "PHD" by granting me freedom of expression and also freedom to allow a large chunk of truth come with it. Don't mind those ones that have it but still engage in fraudulent activities home and abroad.grin

Tonim:

Like I said earlier, there is a place and time for everything. It is one
thing to dispute the figures like some have on this thread, but all your negative rhetoric about American PhD holders carrying
out 419 crimes is really uncalled for on a thread like this.

Time for every what? Sit all day over-celebrating fraudsters who have spoilt the names of a few while a little is being achieved? No time to rest for Nigerians.
"there is fire on the mountain" - Asa.

Tonim:

Even other Nairalanders, such as sheniqua, have echoed my point that there is a place and time for everything.
Why are you guys so afraid of facing the truth irrespective of when, where or how it comes?
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Tonim(f): 7:00am On May 23, 2008
nuzo:

Why are you guys so afraid of facing the truth irrespective of when, where or how it comes?

Well, carry on. One day you will understand wink
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 7:12am On May 23, 2008
I have understood for a long time and it didnt work for me or most Nigerians. Now, i refuse to allow people play with my head. grin
Most Nigerians can go ahead accepting anything served to their suffer heads, no qualms. For me? Not anymore. kiss
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Jakumo(m): 9:42am On May 23, 2008
As the proud holder of a PHD in Big Grammar and Applied Tautology, which I duly earned by mailing the cash sum  of 50 Zimbabwe dollars to the renowned University of Ajegunle ( Sewer-Shore Campus),  I can only add that any Nigerian who is too stingy to cough up the money for the purchase a Nigerian college diploma ought to be BANNED, in the interests of national pride, from embarking on any foreign travel until such time as their educational deficiency has been addressed in the usual manner.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by OsunAmazon: 2:23pm On May 23, 2008
I am slowly getting tired of these armchair critics with a suspicious Nigerian citizenship. All they celebrate and point out is what is wrong with Nigeria and how stupid Nigerians are but can never take part in any thing positive to help out.

@Kobojunkie, Education is not one of our ways out? Enough of the argument, what do you then suggest we do to better our lives in Nigeria? You claim to be a programmer, will it be sinful against God if you either donate programming books for your LG library or engage in two months voluntary training for Nigerian resident programmers?
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Kobojunkie: 2:39pm On May 23, 2008
OsunAmazon:

I am slowly getting tired of these armchair critics with a suspicious Nigerian citizenship. All they celebrate and point out is what is wrong with Nigeria and how stupid Nigerians are but can never take part in any thing positive to help out.

@Kobojunkie, Education is not one of our ways out? Enough of the argument, what do you then suggest we do to better our lives in Nigeria? You claim to be a programmer, will it be sinful against God if you either donate programming books for your LG library or engage in two months voluntary training for Nigerian resident programmers?

Here is the logic I am getting at. If we truly rank highest amongst the educated in america, and we have all those educated professors, graduates and what nots, who reside in Nigeria itself, and still remain where we are today, would it not be logical to conclude that maybe Education is not one of the big solutions to the Nigerian problem?

The world donates billions to africa each year. I happen to be one of those who have over the years donated to save Africa or develop africa funds. From books to all the junk you can imagine have been shipped into that continent and continues to be, even to this year. If all that and the fact that many in Nigeria are actually educated does not help. How does sending yet anothing book to a library help heal Nigeria?? honest question
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by tpia: 3:19pm On May 23, 2008
OsunAmazon:

kobojunkie has stated many times that he didnt attend college. Therefore, to him, college isnt important.

"Why should Nigerians/Blacks get a pat on the back for any reason", is Kobojunkie's life philosophy. 95% of anything he says always boils down to that.

@ kobojunkie
But why should Nigeria get a pat on the back when majority are here, to get away from Nigerian and to a better life for themselves in their families

do you see how you are begging the question. Nigerians are bettering themselves by getting an education in order to improve their lives, and you still complain. Is the topic about the reasons Nigerians travel abroad, or about their achievements while there.

You need help with your defeatist mentality. Before anyone even tries to colonize you, you are already down prostrating in agreement.

Even other races would shake their heads at you in private if not in public, if they hear these things you say. You are undermining yourself.

@ kobojunkie

How does sending yet anothing book to a library help heal Nigeria?? honest question

"Nigeria" is not a person, okay.Every country is made up of individuals.

The books in libraries are read by people, not countries.

Dont know if I'm wasting my time here.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by muyiserra1(m): 6:47pm On May 23, 2008
Nigerians are these Nigerians are that, what the hell are they doing there wont they come back to their country Nigeria and try to see how they can make some development, I keep saying these, its a pity we dont make payment in NIgeria by installment cos of poor technology system, and today people are crying and making unnecessary shout I have master in these I have doctorate in that. You have doctorate degree in IT and the techonology of your country is poor. Shame on you, better come back
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by debosky(m): 6:54pm On May 23, 2008
why must they come back to make a difference? does the large mexican diaspora remitting billions of dollars have to go back before their contributions make a change? Or the Indian diaspora?

The issue is not going back - if you've been entrenched in a given system for very long, adapting to something else is usually very tough and often times unsuccessful - they can contribute from where they are. How much room/leeway to 'make a difference' have the ones who have gone back been given?

No payment by installments is a credit/financial issue, and it IS happening now with people with stable jobs/income. You seem out of touch my friend. . .I didn't know catalunya has also been annexed by Naija now, or are you also 'back home' over there in Spain? grin
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by adconline(m): 5:27pm On May 25, 2008
Kobojunkies,

Like I told you before and notice I am repeating myself even now. When someone says Census Bureau and I go to the Census Bureau and do not find exactly what the person is saying to be the case or I do not find the exact source the article may be referencing. Why do you think it evil for me to come back and say, I did not find it please give me direct link to the source? I am not going to try this again with you cause you seem to want me to believe it just cause someone says it is there. You sent me to a peer reviewed site that is locked. I never saw the article to read for myself so I am sorry I can not say I know the journal actually made the claim. Please stop. My request is simple, provide source or move on. I really do not want to get into this meaningless and futile back and forths with you, that always seem to lead no where.

By the way, a  link  for a journal was provided by the previous poster which was  uploaded . You cannot say that it was inaccessible. It was a PDF file . You seem to suggest that these figures are not backed up by Census figures, but you have not given us a single study that seems to concur with your argument. Naija way of debating facts" I dont believe " or " that's not true"

What's the frame of reference of your argument? None. Let me simply your argument
Nigerians are the most educated immigrant group in US is an inductive argument that is probable. Your belief that it is not true is an absurd argument with no facts.   

Nigerians are the most educated immigrant group in US  versus  your point is rooted on no facts, no studies, no newspaper publication, but you want us to believe your sentiments without facts and sources. Then if your beliefs are weighted against some sources that seem to concur with this post, you really have no basis or this is a shear blind argument. You are not a standard, so we cannot believe on your assertions without facts. This is a case of facts and sources Vs sentiments like Indians are higher in population, most Asians are IT specialists than Nigerians as if to say that Asians have more population  than Mexicans, yet Asians are more  college educated. Or maybe Kano State should have more college students in Nigerians since it has the largest population instead of  Delta State with smaller population but more college students.

If Census figures are not reflective of you non-established views, why don’t  you find a study that will dispute these studies in order to pluralize this argument (Facts Vs no Facts). Census figures as you said are raw data that might have been used to produce these studies, so you can equally conduct a study to produce a contrary study.  We can debate methodology and objectives and conclusions when we have another contrary study which seems elusive to you.  A judge cannot rule in your favour by saying " I dont believe" or "I did not do it" without any evidence. Show me something even its a newsletter.

Expecting your  usual  response which will be full of sentiments and rhetoric -  but remember “no facts”.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by adconline(m): 5:54pm On May 25, 2008
Some myopic minded Nigerians coming here to spew their ignorance. The fact that you are using this website is because of Tim Berners-Lee who invented  world wide web and he has joined the brain drain bandwagon to MIT- USA. He is an English man.

Founder of Google Sergey Brin is another brain drain from Russia. Ebay founder, Pierre Omidyar  is brain drain squared, his father was brain drained by France  from Iran and  Pierre Omidyar  is brain drained by US  not really. i mean everyone who uses Ebay.

Even some of you live abroad  and cry of brain drain. Why dont you all come home  and stop the drain? At least Okonjo Iweala did.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by ayinba1(f): 6:34pm On May 25, 2008
I did not read every post but for those who think it is nothing to feel good about, what would you say if the reverse was the case?

Let us find some optimism in our rootS.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Kobojunkie: 9:20pm On May 25, 2008
ayinba1:

I did not read every post but for those who think it is nothing to feel good about, what would you say if the reverse was the case?

Let us find some optimism in our rootS.

At least you are honest. if the reverse were the case, I would have hope, say that maybe education would help Nigeria get out of the situation we have been in for decades now. But this only shows that we are an educated people but does not answer the question why we keep falling down the same hole we have been digging for decades now. When the uneducated are involved in such attrocities against their own, We could easily conclude the problem be a lack of education and there would be hope that as soon as we start dealing with such, then things get better. But as we have it, Nigerians are not an uneducated bunch, both at home and abroad., as claimed by the article. According to reports from Nigerian papers and even this article, we have some of the most educated people in the world and yet we can not handle issues many in places with lower levels of education seem to be handling ok. Does that not make you wonder what in the world the solution might be for us??

We have Phd holder's who live on streets where their giant mansions sit right next to delapidating homes and rubbish dumps and have, for years not seen a need to help clean up their community. I don't believe blind patriotism is what that country needs. We have had tons of that over the decades and not a single things has come from it. Worse the blind patriots have turned out to be mostly hypocrites, "Talk up a lot of love for Nigeria and do nothing" kind. We have tons of those. They are largely the reason why the country is the way it is today. They are the reason why we are not taken for our words like we are supposed to cause we have over years spewed so much more than we were actually able to pay for. Please, these people fought themselves to get to where they are individually, not for the country but for their family. Do not, your bid to claim one at all cost for Nigeria, steal that fact from them and make their fight for not. China is today one of the main countries busy sponsoring it's people to go out and get educated in foreign countries. People the world over know this and even the chinese freely admit this and are proud of their country in that area. Can you make the same claim of Nigeria?? I am going to guess your answer will be a resounding NO. So I follow this with another question. Why then do you feel the need to believe that these people's fights and struggles has been FOR NIGERIA and NIGERIA should take the credit ??

Anyway, we have no proof of the news being valid. What we have are more documents making claims that Africans are more educated but not that Nigerians are most educated in that group so I am still hopeful that maybe education might still be on the list of possible solutions to the problem in that country.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by MyTempID: 6:52am On May 26, 2008
What difference does it make? Sure it shows lots of Nigerians are book-smart. We might have the mightiest of degrees in the world, but we can't fix Nigeria.  We need more leaders.  More big name Nigerians, more voices of authority(non-politicians), those who immerse their efforts into adressing the problems we're facing in Nigeria.  I'll take 1% of those people over the 35% phd holders we have residing in houston or whatever.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by MP007(m): 7:10am On May 26, 2008
let me tell u somein u dont know, a young naija doing "dirty or cleaning job" is probably taking evening classes at a community college, naija and book, no seperation, efiko to da core

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NASS Crisis: Buhari Set To Meet Dogara, Gbajabiamila / Owerri: The Most Modern City In Southeast_pix / Ahmad Lawan Cautions Against Revenge Over Killing Of Gulak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.