Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society (39530 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. / ‘mazi’ Title In Arochukwu: Who Qualifies For It? / 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:11pm On Jul 15, 2013
Bantino: In general igbo language, Mazi simply means Mr.

I'm sure you meant Igbo "Izugbe",which was based on Imo/Abia Igbo. Mazi is foreign to Anambra,Enugu,Anioma and part of Imo and Ebonyi.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Lordave: 5:15pm On Jul 15, 2013
gboss4sure: Mazi is a mainly used by Ngwa's in Abia State.
oga what happened to ndi Izuogu?
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by drnoel: 5:26pm On Jul 15, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Nope, but I'm Abian, and I believe (I might be wrong) that the term mazi is predominant among the igbos of Abia/imo. It can be used as a synonym for 'elder'; just like the Anambra/Enugu uses Nze and ozor.

Like someone pointed out, the Ngwa people uses mazi as a form of greeting to an elderly person.

I don't know if there's an official title called 'mazi' but I know the term is used loosely to indicate 'elder'.
I believe that Abians copied from IMO people, after all Abia was carved out of Imo.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Abagworo(m): 5:26pm On Jul 15, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

I'm sure you meant Igbo "Izugbe",which was based on Imo/Abia Igbo. Mazi is foreign to Anambra,Enugu,Anioma and part of Imo and Ebonyi.

"Igbo Izugbe" is general Igbo made with borrowed words from all Igbo dialects. The only reason it is supposedly assumed by many to lean more towards Imo/Abia axis is because the "L" factor was corrected. The general arrangement is just all Igbo.

English-How are you?

Igbo Izugbe-Kedu ka Idi?

Owerri dialect- Iri kpole?

I sincerely see no connection with Owerri.

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by skype1986: 5:37pm On Jul 15, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Nope, but I'm Abian, and I believe (I might be wrong) that the term mazi is predominant among the igbos of Abia/imo. It can be used as a synonym for 'elder'; just like the Anambra/Enugu uses Nze and ozor.

Like someone pointed out, the Ngwa people uses mazi as a form of greeting to an elderly person.

I don't know if there's an official title called 'mazi' but I know the term is used loosely to indicate 'elder'.
U're right about d term it is used 4,bt lemme make it clear categoricaly dat any ethnic group f pple or community dat uses d title "mazi" is/are f d aro descent.cos i knw dat aros were gud migrators,nd also business pple in d 4m f middlemen.u can find aros in d whole f southeast nd southsouth region,u can find aros in delta,rivers nd bayelsa. I once heard a rumour dat rivers state gov,rotimi ameachi is 4rm an aro descent,i dnt knw au true it is.me nd my mouth:*wink:>.

2 Likes

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Shankboye(m): 5:44pm On Jul 15, 2013
odumchi: I was told that 'Ada Mazi', 'Nwa Mazi' and 'Nnye Mazi' are exclusively Aro titles, and I have yet to have any reason to doubt since all the people that I have met with those titles are of Aro descent. I'm interested in knowing if there are any other people(s) that bear such titles, along with that of Mazi.
. ARO bawo? Na yaba left be dat na
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ujchief(m): 5:45pm On Jul 15, 2013
@Abagworo: that owerri dialect na die!
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by omnitrix: 5:48pm On Jul 15, 2013
Beautiful title...To my mind,I think Mazi means mister...I'm also Abian and intend to adopt the name once I hit 40...lovely title...Loving the simplicity attached to the name...Mazi Omnitrix grin..
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 15, 2013
Lol at comments! In what i was taught in Igbo Language, Mazi means Mister( Mr) for men and Oriaku( Mrs) for women. It has nothing to do with traditional title. Deede/Dee/ ndaa/daada simply are names used in addressing someone older than you. kpom kwem!! cool
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Afam4eva(m): 5:53pm On Jul 15, 2013
Mazi may have meant something more from the particular part of Igboland that it originated from but today, Mazi is used as a title not different from "Mr". Even though it has it's roots in southern Igbo, it's now being used by Igbos from different parts and like someone said, it has been adopted as part of Igbo izugbe. What people don't understand is that a lot of terms that used to be exclusive to some Igbo groups are now being borrowed by other groups that you may think that these groups have always used these terms.

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 15, 2013
The title Mazi Originated from Arochukwu as early as the sixteenth century. They were the foremost igbos to use the term Mazi as a way of referring to any male whose Father is no longer alive. Even if you're 70 years and your father is alive, you will never be called Mazi; that's the tradition.

Secondly I think any other community that uses the title Mazi may be Aro's in diaspora. As widely knowm, there are over 100 aro in diaspora communities scattered all over Nigeria even in the north.

2 Likes

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by MaziOmenuko: 5:54pm On Jul 15, 2013
omnitrix: Beautiful title...To my mind,I think Mazi means mister...I'm also Abian and intend to adopt the name once I hit 40...lovely title...Loving the simplicity attached to the name...Mazi Omnitrix grin..

You've got to bring some white fowls, white ram and white kola nuts to be initiated into the 'Mazi' foldgringrin

Mazi means more than Mr. Inasmuch as it could be used as Mr, it depicts elder-ship. It is still deeper than 'dee' and 'daa/ndaa' as you can easily call your elder sibling 'dee' but won't call them 'Mazi'.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 15, 2013
Abagworo: Ikwerres use Mazi as well while the Ngwas greeting for an elder is "mazi"

Please verify facts before making a misleading contribution.......there is no such thing as mazi in ikwerre land. get your facts right or they will be termed propaganda. igbos wont let ikwerres rest because of their expansionist ideology.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 15, 2013
Abagworo:

"Igbo Izugbe" is general Igbo made with borrowed words from all Igbo dialects. The only reason it is supposedly assumed by many to lean more towards Imo/Abia axis is because the "L" factor was corrected. The general arrangement is just all Igbo.

English-How are you?

Igbo Izugbe-Kedu ka Idi?

Owerri dialect- Iri kpole?

I sincerely see no connection with Owerri.
Smh for you Abagworo! Is it Kedu ka idi or Kedu ka imere/ Kedu k'imere? Kedu ka idi is never an Igbo Izugbe greeting. odikwa egwu! grin

Btw, i have been meaning to ask you, what's the meaning of "ABAGWORO ". Ana m eche ma i bu onye Aba? grin

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Afam4eva(m): 6:03pm On Jul 15, 2013
kopite:

Please verify facts before making a misleading contribution.......there is no such thing as mazi in ikwerre land. get your facts right or they will be termed propaganda. igbos wont let ikwerres rest because of their expansionist ideology.
Here we go again. Everything has to be about the expansionist ideology of Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ChinenyeN(m): 6:04pm On Jul 15, 2013
I see that Culture topics have begun making their way to the front page, bringing in all variations of contributors. Anyway, on the "dee", etc. issue; I guess where you are from determines your response. In my culture zone, "dee", "daa", etc. expressions are multidimensional and we often use them in a similar fashion as Aro's "mazi" title and its derivatives. For us, they are true cultural equivalents.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 6:07pm On Jul 15, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Nze n' Ozor are universal titles.

I'm "southern" Igbo and have had many Nzes in my family.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 6:11pm On Jul 15, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: To my knowledge "Mazi" is a southern Igbo thing and it can not be equated to the "Nze" title from Nze n' Ozo,which has its origin in the Nothern Igbo. However,the northen Igbo has an equivalent title of "Mazi",which is "Ogbuefi" but its fast going extinct. Ogbuefi is used mostly for the elderly,married or the affluent.

"Ogbuefi" isn't exclusive to "northern" Igbo.
We use "Ogbuehi" in the south.

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Afam4eva(m): 6:12pm On Jul 15, 2013
some-girl:

Yeah, you're right. With the h in Ogbuehi instead of f. But whether these terms have always been used by some groups is another bone of contention.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 6:16pm On Jul 15, 2013
ujchief: @Abagworo: that owerri dialect na die!

pachara anya gi o grin grin wink
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by MaziOmenuko: 6:17pm On Jul 15, 2013
drnoel:
I believe that Abians copied from IMO people, after all Abia was carved out of Imo.

That Abia was carved out from imo doesn't mean that Abians had no 'omenala' na 'njirimara' prior to its creation. There were Abians before there was Abia.

#btw; Abia is just an acronym. Tribes in Abia had existed parallel to those in Imo even before the creation of Abia; Ngwa, Aro, Ohafia, Ohuhu etc.

2 Likes

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by OpinionLeader: 6:21pm On Jul 15, 2013
Mazi means different things to different parts of Southern Igbo.

The origin of MAZI may not necessary be ARO, as someone insinuated. In the part of Imo state where I come from, the English equivalent of Mazi is MR ... period!

I really can't explain what Mazi means to ndi Aro, but I understand it is a form of greeting in Ngwa land.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by MaziOmenuko: 6:22pm On Jul 15, 2013
some-girl:

Customs have origins and roots. It may have originated from the Anambra/Enugu regions; but with time, got accepted and enshrined into the core igbo tradition.

Example, my part of Abia, from time immemorial don't do the 'iwa-akwa' ceremony and the 'igbutu-nma' ceremony as practiced by those from the Northern Abia (Bende, ohafia, Aro, Abiriba). But most recently, I've seen some people practice it within my area; although they gave it a new name. Soon, the upcoming generation who are now witnessing these new norms will believe it had always been so.

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 6:24pm On Jul 15, 2013
Afam4eva:
Yeah, you're right. With the h in Ogbuehi instead of f. But whether these terms have always been used by some groups is another bone of contention.

Ogbuehi/ efi aren't titles like Mazi, Nze and Eze as far as I'm aware. They are more like names given to honoured men (Mazis, Nze n'ozor and chiefs), like "Omeudo", "Ezeugo", "Nwanne di na mba", "Ezeagu" etc...
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by theripper3: 6:24pm On Jul 15, 2013
Northern igbo and southern igbo? Huh? I don lost for yoruba land o. Make person abeg explain to me o.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Afam4eva(m): 6:27pm On Jul 15, 2013
the_ripper3: Northern igbo and southern igbo? Huh? I don lost for yoruba land o. Make person abeg explain to me o.
The states in the old Imo state(Abia, Imo and parts of Ebonyi) and others parts of Igboland close to it ie Rivers are the Southern Igbos while those in the old Anambra state(Anambra, Enugu, some parts of Ebonyi) and Anioma are northern Igbos.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by tseeker(m): 6:31pm On Jul 15, 2013
Mamacita007: ndi nsukka e wenro mazi grin grin its Eze
and is that enough for you to donate your expensive ' smile'?
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by theripper3: 6:34pm On Jul 15, 2013
Afam4eva:
The states in the old Imo state(Abia, Imo and parts of Ebonyi) and others parts of Igboland close to it ie Rivers are the Southern Igbos while those in the old Anambra state(Anambra, Enugu, some parts of Ebonyi) and Anioma are northern Igbos.

Choi, Nagode sose walahi.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 6:35pm On Jul 15, 2013
Mamacita007: ndi nsukka e wenro mazi grin grin its Eze

Eze and Mazi are totally different "offices".

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by MaziOmenuko: 6:37pm On Jul 15, 2013
Afam4eva:

Actually, Nairaland is the first place I'm hearing the souther/northern igbo stuff. Is there any distinct boundary? Imo state is so big that the people from orlu/mgbidi are closer to the Anambrarians uli/ihiala; where's those from Okigwe and Obowo/ihitte-uboma are very close to Abians Umuahia.

I guess the North-South thing is more of a geographical thing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Huge Crowd At Osun-Osogbo Festival (Photos) / Royal Family Rejects Abdulwasiu Gbolahan Lawal As New Oniru Of Iruland / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.