Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society (39529 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. / ‘mazi’ Title In Arochukwu: Who Qualifies For It? / 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Afam4eva(m): 6:43pm On Jul 15, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Actually, Nairaland is the first place I'm hearing the souther/northern igbo stuff. Is there any distinct boundary? Imo state is so big that the people from orlu/mgbidi are closer to the Anambrarians uli/ihiala; where's those from Okigwe and Obowo/ihitte-uboma are very close to Abians Umuahia.

I guess the North-South thing is more of a geographical thing.
I also got to know about the North and South thingy on nairaland. It's more of geography but proximity also means that people in Southern Igbo will have more in common than when compared with those in Northern Igbo. Though the boundary is still debatable because i know people from Okigwe can be classified as Northern Igbo based on their dialect which is simlar to what is obtained in the Anambra axis.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Ogojohn(m): 6:44pm On Jul 15, 2013
ChinenyeN: Based off what I've been able to discern from questions and research, the expression "mazi" is in all respects an Aro title. Its origins are in Arochukwu, and from there it culturally diffused to other communities by way of Aro's oracular trade network. My knowledge of Arochukwu is limited, so Odumchi will have to correct me where I may be wrong. But from all indications, "mazi" is not a title in the same way that Nze and Ozo may be. I have yet to know of any instance in which a ceremony exists to institute someone as a "mazi". I also do not see a reason to associate Aro's "mazi" title synonymously with "elders", since it seems just as applicable to sons, daughters and wives as it does to men (Odumchi, correct me if I may be wrong).

Now, by its usage, I would say that Aro's "mazi" title (and its derivatives) serve a somewhat similar cultural purpose as "sir", "madame", "mister", "miss", "misses", etc. in Western culture. So far, the diffused "mazi" title seems to have remained relatively in tact, with the exception that the "mazi" derivatives (nwa mazi, etc.) don't seem to be present in the communities that the title diffused to.

The "mazi" title is mostly limited to northern Abia and a portion of Imo; not as prevalent in southern Abia. However, there exists an expression ["maazi"] that was traditionally used as a greeting by some communities in the former Obioma Ngwa LGA. It is only in the last 30 or 40 years that the greeting has diffused to other Ngwa communities. The diffusion of the "mazi" title into Ikwere likely resulted from Isiokpo and its Aro affiliation.

"Mazi" has since been adopted into the developing Izugbe/Standard Igbo. I read a document somewhere online where Uwandiigbo (the most active Igbo studies organization I've so far seen) moved to officially adopt "Mazi" into Izugbe as "Mr." In answering Odumchi's original question though, "mazi" seems to occur mainly among eastern Igbo and [to some degree] southern Igbo culture groups.
IGBO IZUGBE is written and central IGBO which are used and adopted in IGBO language exams.
Mazi may come from any where in IGBO land but as presently adopted in central IGBO language or IGBO IZUGBE. it simply means. Mr
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Chillypelly(m): 6:46pm On Jul 15, 2013
It can equally be used as an igbo translation for mister. When i was on holiday in the uk a chinese approached me and was like 'mazi how are you doing' and as a nigerian with the right onions i responded in my locals.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by theripper3: 7:06pm On Jul 15, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Actually, Nairaland is the first place I'm hearing the souther/northern igbo stuff. Is there any distinct boundary? Imo state is so big that the people from orlu/mgbidi are closer to the Anambrarians uli/ihiala; where's those from Okigwe and Obowo/ihitte-uboma are very close to Abians Umuahia.

I guess the North-South thing is more of a geographical thing.

Some part of Ngor-okpala where I come from is closer to Rivers state sef, I hear there is even an Egbema in rivers close to ohaji egbema in imo state. Imo state sef .
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:10pm On Jul 15, 2013
some-girl:

"Ogbuefi" isn't exclusive to "northern" Igbo.
We use "Ogbuehi" in the south.

It is no longer exclusive to the northern Igbo but the origin is indisputably northern Igbo. And let's not forget that there are southern Igbo groups who migrated from the north. Also,theere is what they call culture diffusion; Like today, the general Igbo has adopted the red hat as a symbol of Igbo attire but we know the origin.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by U235weapongrade: 7:14pm On Jul 15, 2013
Mamacita007: ndi nsukka e wenro mazi grin grin its Eze

I wu onye nsukka...
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ceejayluv(m): 7:15pm On Jul 15, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Nope, but I'm Abian, and I believe (I might be wrong) that the term mazi is predominant among the igbos of Abia/imo. It can be used as a synonym for 'elder'; just like the Anambra/Enugu uses Nze and ozor.

Like someone pointed out, the Ngwa people uses mazi as a form of greeting to an elderly person.

I don't know if there's an official title called 'mazi' but I know the term is used loosely to indicate 'elder'.
An "Nze" is an "ozo" title holder...
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 7:30pm On Jul 15, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

It is no longer exclusive to the northern Igbo[b] but the origin is indisputably northern Igbo[/b]. And let's not forget that there are southern Igbo groups who migrated from the north. Also,theere is what they call culture diffusion; Like today, the general Igbo has adopted the red hat as a symbol of Igbo attire but we know the origin.

I don't know enough to dispute your claim but can be provide proof please?
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by biafranqueen: 7:42pm On Jul 15, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

Not all Igbo use mazi,except if you meant Igbo Izugbe,which is mostly based on southern Igbo. Anambra doesn't use mazi,at least not to my knowledge. If at all there is any Anambra group that use mazi it has to be a recent phenomenon. Again,mazi is a southern Igbo invention.
Yes it is used with Anambra people abroad frequently, especially in greetings.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by biafranqueen: 7:47pm On Jul 15, 2013
Afam4eva:
I also got to know about the North and South thingy on nairaland. It's more of geography but proximity also means that people in Southern Igbo will have more in common than when compared with those in Northern Igbo. Though the boundary is still debatable because i know people from Okigwe can be classified as Northern Igbo based on their dialect which is simlar to what is obtained in the Anambra axis.
Interesting
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:47pm On Jul 15, 2013
some-girl:

Ogbuehi/ efi aren't titles like Mazi, Nze and Eze as far as I'm aware. They are more like names given to honoured men (Mazis, Nze n'ozor and chiefs), like "Omeudo", "Ezeugo", "Nwanne di na mba", "Ezeagu" etc...

Wrong; Say what you know. Ogbuefi is not a title name like the ones you mentioned. I hail from Anambra and in all my encounters with the Nze n' Ozo institution I have never came accross any person greeted with the name "Ogbuefi",rather,it was used as a prefix. Ogbuefi was even used in Things Fall Apart television series.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:53pm On Jul 15, 2013
biafranqueen: Yes it is used with Anambra people abroad frequently, especially in greetings.

It is possible but it isn't an Anambra thing,at all. Like I said before,we use "Ogbuefi" and it was also used in things fall apart,series.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by jo997: 7:55pm On Jul 15, 2013
well in umuahia where i come from, mazi has dual meaning.
1. greeting an elderly person at any time of the day... e.g. "dada mazi ooo", "papa mazi ooo"... either morning, afternoon or evening just greet mazi.
2. Elderly men, mostly elders within the cabinet of any His Royal Highest would be like to be addressed with the mazi title preceding their real name... such "mazi ndukwe"
"mazi kanu"...
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:56pm On Jul 15, 2013
ceejayluv:
An "Nze" is an "ozo" title holder...

Nze and mazi are two different thing; Nze is anybody who has taken the Ozo noble title and only then can you be addressed as "Onye Nze" or "Nze". Deme.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ceejayluv(m): 8:07pm On Jul 15, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

Nze and mazi are two different thing; Nze is anybody who has taken the Ozo noble title and only then can you be addressed as "Onye Nze" or "Nze". Deme.
Any difference from what I posted? Or are you adding details to My earlier post?
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by XFive: 8:09pm On Jul 15, 2013
CHO CHO CHO ARO NMA NMA NU OO. The word Mazi means different things for different people. In Ngwa, it means greeting but in Arochukwu and Aro Ndizuogu, u are addressed as Nwa Mazi and when your father is no more, you are addressed as Mazi. It also means different thing for people in Ebonyi State

2 Likes

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Abagworo(m): 8:14pm On Jul 15, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

It is no longer exclusive to the northern Igbo but the origin is indisputably northern Igbo. And let's not forget that there are southern Igbo groups who migrated from the north. Also,theere is what they call culture diffusion; Like today, the general Igbo has adopted the red hat as a symbol of Igbo attire but we know the origin.

The reason why a lot of people are confused in this thing is because State creation disregarded the traditional boundaries. The people that occupy the Orlu area of Igboland seem to have almost every Igbo culture fused in theirs making it difficult to really ascertain their true culture zone. This area includes Ihiala/Orumba/South Nnewi in Anambra and Orlu/Ideato in Imo. Scholars had to label them "marginal Isu/Nri/Awka.

BTW what is the origin of the red hat?

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Abagworo(m): 8:21pm On Jul 15, 2013
berem: Smh for you Abagworo! Is it Kedu ka idi or Kedu ka imere/ Kedu k'imere? Kedu ka idi is never an Igbo Izugbe greeting. odikwa egwu! grin

Btw, i have been meaning to ask you, what's the meaning of "ABAGWORO ". Ana m eche ma i bu onye Aba? grin

It is an adopted name of likely Delta State origin. "Abagoro" or "Agbagoro" are variants.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:26pm On Jul 15, 2013
ceejayluv:
Any difference from what I posted? Or are you adding details to My earlier post?

No difference,I was just solidifying your statement.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 8:28pm On Jul 15, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

Wrong; Say what you know. Ogbuefi is not a title name like the ones you mentioned. I hail from Anambra and in all my encounters with the Nze n' Ozo institution I have never came accross any person greeted with the name "Ogbuefi",rather,it was used as a prefix. Ogbuefi was even used in Things Fall Apart television series.

Notice how I stated "as far as I'm aware"?
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Fgn44: 8:34pm On Jul 15, 2013
odumchi: I was told that 'Ada Mazi', 'Nwa Mazi' and 'Nnye Mazi' are exclusively Aro titles, and I have yet to have any reason to doubt since all the people that I have met with those titles are of Aro descent. I'm interested in knowing if there are any other people(s) that bear such titles, along with that of Mazi.
yes its only aros that answer mazi,am from arochukwu too

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by chi4ik(m): 8:38pm On Jul 15, 2013
Simple as ABCD, mazi is Mr in the whole IGBO just as we echie in IGBO
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 15, 2013
Abagworo:

It is an adopted name of likely Delta State origin. "Abagoro" or "Agbagoro" are variants.
Oh i see! I so much love the name. I haven't heard of the name except on nairaland. Wish i knew the meaning, don't mind giving my next son the name. tongue
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:40pm On Jul 15, 2013
Abagworo:

The reason why a lot of people are confused in this thing is because State creation disregarded the traditional boundaries. The people that occupy the Orlu area of Igboland seem to have almost every Igbo culture fused in theirs making it difficult to really ascertain their true culture zone. This area includes Ihiala/Orumba/South Nnewi in Anambra and Orlu/Ideato in Imo. Scholars had to label them "marginal Isu/Nri/Awka.

BTW what is the origin of the red hat?

Take Nnewi and Orumba out of your post and you will have the natural boundry between Anambra and Imo. Ihiala has a lot of Aro migrants and their culture makes that area the meeting point of Anambra and Imo.

The red hat is a sacred object; Its an object that represents forthrightness,chastity and noblenesss. It has a color that reflects the Nri deity,where the Nze n' Ozo originated from but the particular red hat we wear today were made by the early eauropeans.

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by MrFord1: 8:40pm On Jul 15, 2013
T-Wallpapers:
The title Mazi Originated from Arochukwu as early as the sixteenth century. They were the foremost igbos to use the term Mazi as a way of referring to any male whose Father is no longer alive. Even if you're 70 years and your father is alive, you will never be called Mazi; that's the tradition.

Secondly I think any other community that uses the title Mazi may be Aro's in diaspora. As widely knowm, there are over 100 aro in diaspora communities scattered all over Nigeria even in the north.

Very correct.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by negal(f): 8:49pm On Jul 15, 2013
T-Wallpapers:
The title Mazi Originated from Arochukwu as early as the sixteenth century. They were the foremost igbos to use the term Mazi as a way of referring to any male whose Father is no longer alive. Even if you're 70 years and your father is alive, you will never be called Mazi; that's the tradition.

Secondly I think any other community that uses the title Mazi may be Aro's in diaspora. As widely knowm, there are over 100 aro in diaspora communities scattered all over Nigeria even in the north.

Then an elderly man whose father is still alive is called NWA-MAZI ... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by belovedaja(m): 8:52pm On Jul 15, 2013
I am from ututu in abia state and the villagers call me 'nwa mazi'. I dont know the meaning yet. One thing that amaze me the name is exclusively used for me in the village.

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by negal(f): 8:54pm On Jul 15, 2013
belovedaja: I am from ututu in abia state and the villagers call me 'nwa mazi'. I dont know the meaning yet. One thing that amaze me the name is exclusively used for me in the village.

IM FROM AROCHUKWU IN ABIA STATE AN NWA MAZI IS SOMEONE WHOSE FATHER IS ALIVE BUT HIS GRAND FATHER IS LATE.

2 Likes

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by sol2galay: 9:18pm On Jul 15, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

I'm sure you meant Igbo "Izugbe",which was based on Imo/Abia Igbo. Mazi is foreign to Anambra,Enugu,Anioma and part of Imo and Ebonyi.

I am from Ebonyi(ebonyi south precisely),we use Mazi simply as Minster to address an adult male or a colleague.My father do address me as Nwamazi meaning little minster.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:31pm On Jul 15, 2013
sol2galay:

I am from Ebonyi(ebonyi south precisely),we use Mazi simply as Minster to address an adult male or a colleague.My father do address me as Nwamazi meaning little minster.

I'm not surprised,at all because part of Ebonyi was carved out of Abia. I stand corrected.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Afam4eva(m): 9:33pm On Jul 15, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

I'm not surprised,at all because part of Ebonyi was carved out of Abia. I stand corrected.
You're right. The Afikpo axis specifically.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 15, 2013
kayci_d77:
Mazi is nothing close to dee or deede, Mazi means Mr and dee means an elder man. Mazi is a general Igbo language not particularly meant for some part of Igbo
There is nothing like mazi in my owerre dialect.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Huge Crowd At Osun-Osogbo Festival (Photos) / Royal Family Rejects Abdulwasiu Gbolahan Lawal As New Oniru Of Iruland / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.