Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:17 AM

The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society (39532 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. / ‘mazi’ Title In Arochukwu: Who Qualifies For It? / 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by oturugo(m): 9:44pm On Jul 15, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

Not all Igbo use mazi,except if you meant Igbo Izugbe,which is mostly based on southern Igbo. Anambra doesn't use mazi,at least not to my knowledge. If at all there is any Anambra group that use mazi it has to be a recent phenomenon. Again,mazi is a southern Igbo invention.
What does Anambra, Dellta Igbo and Enugu use in place of Mazi?.
You as an Anambra man, what do you call your uncle?.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ChinenyeN(m): 10:05pm On Jul 15, 2013
oturugo:
They say that Anambra doesn't have those "dee", "daa" etc. expressions. They don't use it for whatever reason.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by oboy3(m): 10:11pm On Jul 15, 2013
oturugo:
am not so sure but seems they Use 'Nna anyi' for Uncles
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 15, 2013
belovedaja: I am from ututu in abia state and the villagers call me 'nwa mazi'. I dont know the meaning yet. One thing that amaze me the name is exclusively used for me in the village.
God! Dont even know half my state like thought i had. Where's Ututu located in Abia mbok
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 15, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're right. The Afikpo axis specifically.
Bingo. Had attended a trad. Wedding in Aro some years back with a friend and we got confused thinking we'd lost upon sighting a sign post that said welcome to Edah east Afikpo, Ebonyi state. See para as we havnt been to Aro b4 until we were put through
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 15, 2013
O gini ka ha na-ako?

Na igbo izugbe, Mazi bu nu igbo word for Mr. Not actually a title.

Whats d even d essence of linking it particularly to Abia/Imo @ OP? Even if it originated from there sef, i machakwa na o bu ihe a na use na igbo izugbe kita.

Mgbe niile, a na e generate hari controversy

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Abricz(m): 10:31pm On Jul 15, 2013
arondizugo too
ChinenyeN: Based off what I've been able to discern from questions and research, the expression "mazi" is in all respects an Aro title. Its origins are in Arochukwu, and from there it culturally diffused to other communities by way of Aro's oracular trade network. My knowledge of Arochukwu is limited, so Odumchi will have to correct me where I may be wrong. But from all indications, "mazi" is not a title in the same way that Nze and Ozo may be. I have yet to know of any instance in which a ceremony exists to institute someone as a "mazi". I also do not see a reason to associate Aro's "mazi" title synonymously with "elders", since it seems just as applicable to sons, daughters and wives as it does to men (Odumchi, correct me if I may be wrong).

Now, by its usage, I would say that Aro's "mazi" title (and its derivatives) serve a somewhat similar cultural purpose as "sir", "madame", "mister", "miss", "misses", etc. in Western culture. So far, the diffused "mazi" title seems to have remained relatively in tact, with the exception that the "mazi" derivatives (nwa mazi, etc.) don't seem to be present in the communities that the title diffused to.

The "mazi" title is mostly limited to northern Abia and a portion of Imo; not as prevalent in southern Abia. However, there exists an expression ["maazi"] that was traditionally used as a greeting by some communities in the former Obioma Ngwa LGA. It is only in the last 30 or 40 years that the greeting has diffused to other Ngwa communities. The diffusion of the "mazi" title into Ikwere likely resulted from Isiokpo and its Aro affiliation.

"Mazi" has since been adopted into the developing Izugbe/Standard Igbo. I read a document somewhere online where Uwandiigbo (the most active Igbo studies organization I've so far seen) moved to officially adopt "Mazi" into Izugbe as "Mr." In answering Odumchi's original question though, "mazi" seems to occur mainly among eastern Igbo and [to some degree] southern Igbo culture groups.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by AceVentura: 10:32pm On Jul 15, 2013
odumchi: What areas of Igboland answer the title 'Mazi'? As far as I know, it's mostly answered by groups in Abia and Imo.

Mazi is an Igbo translation for "Mr." but it is mostly used to address Arondizuogu in Imo State & Arochukwu in Abia State.

Nwa Mazi which literally means "son of Mazi" is for the ones whose fathers are still alive. Ada Mazi is for the ladies.

I'm from Arondizuogu & my father is gone to be with the Lord so I'm addressed as "Mazi" in my hometown.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Antivirus92(m): 10:55pm On Jul 15, 2013
Stupid thread! This is how they go about causing divisions pretending that they don't know what they are doing. Igbo is a migration and re-migration of the same people absorbing some foreigners as the expand. We don't use olee(how) in my side but the day an imo friend asked me olee. I didn't need an interpreter to know what he mean. Mazi may not have aro origin as speculated by many. After all aro has where it originated from. What do those people speak?. Our anscestors have spoken these languages, the fact remains that many during expansion hold onto a particular version of the languages. Example,okigwe,orlu that boarders anambra do use both olee and kedu. And and enugu man on hearing olee ka imere will not ask for a translator to know that olee means kedu. Why do we love division so much? North and south,aro and isu,anambra and abia! Tufiakwa ufodu mmadu!

2 Likes

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 10:56pm On Jul 15, 2013
Antivirus92: Stupid thread! This is how they go about causing divisions pretending that they don't know what they are doing. Igbo is a migration and re-migration of the same people absorbing some foreigners as the expand. We don't use olee(how) in my side but the day an imo friend asked me olee. I didn't need an interpreter to know what he mean. Mazi may not have aro origin as speculated by many. After all aro has where it originated from. What do those people speak?. Our anscestors have spoken these languages, the fact remains that many during expansion hold onto a particular version of the languages. Example,okigwe,orlu that boarders anambra do use both olee and kedu. And and enugu man on hearing olee ka imere will not ask for a translator to know that olee means kedu. Why do we love division so much? North and south,aro and isu,anambra and abia! Tufiakwa ufodu mmadu!

Ezigbo okwu
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by odumchi: 11:03pm On Jul 15, 2013
Ishsoph: God! Dont even know half my state like thought i had. Where's Ututu located in Abia mbok

Ututu is a community in Arochukwu Local Government Area. When heading to Arochukwu from Umuahia, you will pass Bende, Uzuaokoli, Abam, Ohafia, and then Ututu before finally arriving at Arochukwu.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by odumchi: 11:11pm On Jul 15, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Actually, Nairaland is the first place I'm hearing the souther/northern igbo stuff. Is there any distinct boundary? Imo state is so big that the people from orlu/mgbidi are closer to the Anambrarians uli/ihiala; where's those from Okigwe and Obowo/ihitte-uboma are very close to Abians Umuahia.

I guess the North-South thing is more of a geographical thing.

All of Abia doesn't fall under Southern Igbo. Southern Igbo is basically (this is disputable) everything south of Okigwe in Imo to Ikwere in Rivers. In Abia, Southern Igbo is from Umuahia southwards; from Bende to Arochukwu and then to Afikpo and Ohoazara (in Ebonyi) is considered Cross River Igbo. Northern Igbo is from Arondizuogu all the way to the edge of Igboland around Nsuka. Northeastern Igbo is part of Ebonyi and Enugu; Western Igbo is Anioma.

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jul 15, 2013
odumchi:

Ututu is a community in Arochukwu Local Government Area. When heading to Arochukwu from Umuahia, you will pass Bende, Uzuaokoli, Abam, Ohafia, and then Ututu before finally arriving at Arochukwu.
Abam I'v heard, Ohafia I knw, Arochukwu is popular, Uzuakoli I'll visit this Saturday (20th) for a friend's trad. Wedding. Ututu(morning) I'v never heard b4. Thanks for ur explanation sha!
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by odumchi: 11:23pm On Jul 15, 2013
some-girl:

Nze n' Ozor are universal titles.

I'm "southern" Igbo and have had many Nzes in my family.

To the best of my knowledge, the Ozo title is from somewhere in what is now Anambra. It spread to parts of Delta (Aniocha/Oshimilli), Enugu, and Imo (Nkwere, Orlu, Okigwe, and Owere and its environs). You can't find the Ozo title-taking tradition in Rivers, parts of Imo, Abia, or Ebonyi.

The "Ogbuefi" title on the other hand, originated from Awka (according to a documentary I watched). According to the documentary, every year there would be a festival in which males aged 80 and over would kill a cow(s) in order to demonstrate their wealth, and then be be granted the title "Ogbueshi". This same practice might have also spread along with Nze na Ozo. It's only in Igbo echichi (title-taking communities) that this title can be found. The rest of Imo, Abia, Rivers, and Ebonyi (Igbo abamaba; communities that have secret societies instead of titles) don't have this.

Besides, unlike Northern Igboland, Southern Igboland is too thickly forested to support extensive cow pastures. Therefore, such a tradition couldn't have developed or thrived.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Abagworo(m): 11:26pm On Jul 15, 2013
Antivirus92: Stupid thread! This is how they go about causing divisions pretending that they don't know what they are doing. Igbo is a migration and re-migration of the same people absorbing some foreigners as the expand. We don't use olee(how) in my side but the day an imo friend asked me olee. I didn't need an interpreter to know what he mean. Mazi may not have aro origin as speculated by many. After all aro has where it originated from. What do those people speak?. Our anscestors have spoken these languages, the fact remains that many during expansion hold onto a particular version of the languages. Example,okigwe,orlu that boarders anambra do use both olee and kedu. And and enugu man on hearing olee ka imere will not ask for a translator to know that olee means kedu. Why do we love division so much? North and south,aro and isu,anambra and abia! Tufiakwa ufodu mmadu!

You make so much simplistic assumptions based on your limited knowledge probably due to lack of exposure to the vast Igbo culture. Which people's dialect is "Olee ka imere?" There is nothing like Anambra or Imo or Abia but there is something like Isu, Oru, Ngwa, Arochukwu, Ezaa, Uratta, Etche etc. They are not artificial creations like you tend to believe. Ndewo.

1 Like

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by 1bunne4lif(m): 11:33pm On Jul 15, 2013
odumchi: Thank you all for your replies. I was confused because, although I was told that "mazi" was exclusively Aro, I've come across several cases in which non-Aro (like Mazi_Omenuko) bear it, in addition to seeing it in Igbo literature.

Anyway, "mazi" is not a title of the same caliber as Nze or Ozo, because (like Chinenye mentioned) there isn't a ceremony accompanied with it and it doesn't signify achievement or accomplishment (we don't even take titles in Aro). In the same vein, it isn't limited to elders. In Aro society, "mazi" is simply a title that is used to politely identify any man whose father is no longer alive. If such a man's father were alive, he would be identified as "nwa mazi" while his father would bear "mazi". For women, the title "ada mazi" exists and is born by all women, irregardless of whether or not the father is alive.

Another thing that I've noticed is that the Aro are the only Igbo people that I know of that refer to their king as "mazi".
absolutely right. I'm from Arondizuogu so you'r justified.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by 1bunne4lif(m): 11:37pm On Jul 15, 2013
Abricz: arondizugo too
izuogu mmamanu o!
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by odumchi: 11:37pm On Jul 15, 2013
oturugo:

In Ika, they have "dein" which is the equivalent "dee" and "deede".
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by 1bunne4lif(m): 11:39pm On Jul 15, 2013
Ace Ventura:

Mazi is an Igbo translation for "Mr." but it is mostly used to address Arondizuogu in Imo State & Arochukwu in Abia State.

Nwa Mazi which literally means "son of Mazi" is for the ones whose fathers are still alive. Ada Mazi is for the ladies.

I'm from Arondizuogu & my father is gone to be with the Lord so I'm addressed as "Mazi" in my hometown.
nwamazi!
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by odumchi: 11:43pm On Jul 15, 2013
1bunne4lif: absolutely right. I'm from Arondizuogu so you'r justified.

Nwa Okigbo ibe m. Kedu?
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by odumchi: 11:48pm On Jul 15, 2013
As for those pursuing me over my comparison of "dee" and "deede" to "mazi", you'd have to look at it from my perspective. In Arochukwu we have both "deede" and "mazi". I considered both of these terms equivalent in usage because we use both terms as honorifics. However, I am we'll aware that "deede" is used when addressing people who are in higher age-grades.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by AroOkigbo(m): 12:58am On Jul 16, 2013
T-Wallpapers:
The title Mazi Originated from Arochukwu as early as the sixteenth century. They were the foremost igbos to use the term Mazi as a way of referring to any male whose Father is no longer alive. Even if you're 70 years and your father is alive, you will never be called Mazi; that's the tradition.

Secondly I think any other community that uses the title Mazi may be Aro's in diaspora. As widely knowm, there are over 100 aro in diaspora communities scattered all over Nigeria even in the north.
Nwanne, i di very correct.

2 Likes

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ROYALD(m): 1:29am On Jul 16, 2013
odumchi: I was told that 'Ada Mazi', 'Nwa Mazi' and 'Nnye Mazi' are exclusively Aro titles, and I have yet to have any reason to doubt since all the people that I have met with those titles are of Aro descent. I'm interested in knowing if there are any other people(s) that bear such titles, along with that of Mazi.

POINT OF CORRECTIOM
MAZI IS MR
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ROYALD(m): 1:32am On Jul 16, 2013
POINT OF CORRECTION
MAZI IS MR

EXAMPLE : MAZI OBI IN ENGLISH MR OBI
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ROYALD(m): 1:34am On Jul 16, 2013
Aro Okigbo:
Nwanne, i di very correct.

POINT OF CORRECTION
MAZI IS MR

EXAMPLE : MAZI OBI ..... IN ENGLISH MR OBI
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ROYALD(m): 1:45am On Jul 16, 2013
Cyberknight:

Chinenye is right. "Mazi" is generally used by Aro people, and is not equivalent to the the "Dee" or "Nda" prefixes before a given name used as a mark of respect ("e.g. Dee Emeka, Nda Chiaka"wink. As a matter of fact, "Mazi" is not necessarily used to denote respect from a younger to an elder person, because two people of the same agegroup can use it to address each other. Thus, it is not really an honorific, but may be used as such. I had a friend from Arondizuogu who used to call his father simply Mazi.

IN IGBO LAND
MAZI IS MR

EXAMPLE : MAZI OBI ..... IN ENGLISH MR OBI
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by steveec122(m): 2:27am On Jul 16, 2013
Onye asula Ngili-igbo!! nne i bu onye ebee, nne isi ebee
ngozievergreen: O gini ka ha na-ako?

Na igbo izugbe, Mazi bu nu igbo word for Mr. Not actually a title.

Whats d even d essence of linking it particularly to Abia/Imo @ OP? Even if it originated from there sef, i machakwa na o bu ihe a na use na igbo izugbe kita.

Mgbe niile, a na e generate hari controversy

2 Likes

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Obiagu1(m): 4:47am On Jul 16, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

Wrong; Say what you know. Ogbuefi is not a title name like the ones you mentioned. I hail from Anambra and in all my encounters with the Nze n' Ozo institution I have never came accross any person greeted with the name "Ogbuefi",rather,it was used as a prefix. Ogbuefi was even used in Things Fall Apart television series.

There's nothing special in the name Ogbuefi. It's same as Ogbuagu, a mere praise name same as Dike, Dimgba or Diokpa.
Yes, it is sometimes used as a prefix to another name but it doesn't signify anything like Mazi does.

People that are called Ogbuefi are usually wealthy people and have killed cow(s) as a display of their wealth.
If you kill a leopard, you'll be called Ogbuagu.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by MaziOmenuko: 5:58am On Jul 16, 2013
odumchi:

All of Abia doesn't fall under Southern Igbo. Southern Igbo is basically (this is disputable) everything south of Okigwe in Imo to Ikwere in Rivers. In Abia, Southern Igbo is from Umuahia southwards; from Bende to Arochukwu and then to Afikpo and Ohoazara (in Ebonyi) is considered Cross River Igbo. Northern Igbo is from Arondizuogu all the way to the edge of Igboland around Nsuka. Northeastern Igbo is part of Ebonyi and Enugu; Western Igbo is Anioma.

Its bad enough that we're bringing geographical divisions via southern/northern igbo; which wan come be north-eastern and western igbo and cross river igbo again? Biko, aka m adighi na nke ahu.

Igbo bu igbo!
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ChinenyeN(m): 6:36am On Jul 16, 2013
Igbo people have unfortunately allowed Nigeria's politics to get in the way of simple academic/intellectual discourse. The delineation of the various "Igbo" communities into geographically identifiable culture zones is nothing to be afraid of. There is no need to trivialize and otherwise distort good discourse with the constant "Igbo bu Igbo" or "Igbo bu ofu" reaction.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by pweetymama(f): 7:27am On Jul 16, 2013
oturugo: Mazi is minster just as Hausas use malam as minster. All the Igbo novels have always used Mazi as minster.
dis is so on point.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Cyberknight: 7:31am On Jul 16, 2013
The "Igbo bu otu" reaction may be a bit extreme in this instance, but I must also confess that I have lived in Nigeria all my life and have never heard of the whole "southern", "eastern" and "northern" Igbo distinctions that are being mentioned on here; this is the first time I have ever heard of them. What I am aware of is the broad dialectal division of the language into so-called Anambra Igbo and Imo Igbo (ofu/otu, afia/ahia, uno/ulo, etc, etc) that was being spoken of in the 80s, but I have no knowledge of any other divisions. As some posters have pointed out, the political divisions of the Igbo into states do not necessarily follow lingusitic or cultural boundaries (e.g. the Orlu people near Ihiala area are culturally and linguistically more similar to Anambra than Imo, etc.), but to my knowledge that is about the extent of the classification of Igbo people that is not based on broad geography or culture.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Huge Crowd At Osun-Osogbo Festival (Photos) / Royal Family Rejects Abdulwasiu Gbolahan Lawal As New Oniru Of Iruland / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.