Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,662 members, 7,813,227 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society (39533 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. / ‘mazi’ Title In Arochukwu: Who Qualifies For It? / 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 8:21pm On Jul 16, 2013
ChinenyeN:

I can understand your concern, but at the same time, I hope you do realize that you are staking your entire argument on the incomplete knowledge of other people.

Here is what you must understand about this issue:
1) These geographical deliberations are not as arbitrary as you might be thinking.
2) There is more to the delineation than north and south. I could venture to expand more on the delineation for you, but I believe it would be more rewarding if you learned the information yourself, through research. Besides, I am under the impression that you would be much more likely to argue the terminology if it were to come from me as opposed to if you were to research and understand it for yourself. It doesn't mean I won't expand on it if you ask.

Delineation and classification of these areas are man made. Who defined the boundaries? (most probably a foreigner, non- Igbo). What was the basis for the definition of the boundaries? Is there a reference point?
I don't accept everything I read. I would challenge even what many may consider as common knowledge until it becomes clear to me.
I won't be surprised if there is an abundance of literature that would support your stance, as many seem to enjoy and embrace any form of separatism, but I doubt these sources would answer my questions like where Owerre falls for example.
I would appreciate it if you could provide me with a starting point for my research and enlighten me to the best of your ability.
Daalu
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ChinenyeN(m): 8:42pm On Jul 16, 2013
Cyberknight:

Chinenye, yours quoted above was a most informative post. As you have pointed out that the aforementioned geographical divisions are more usual in academic discourse than in general use, please allow me to point out that I was not and am not protesting their use, but was simply stating that I am unfamiliar with the use of these terms in general everyday use when referring to the Igbo people. I would also presume that most other Igbo people are also unaware of this application as well. I have got no problems whatsoever with their use in academia or in any other sphere when done for research or other academic purposes; however, a point which I am sure our near paranoid brother above undoubtedly had in mind is this: groupings and other forms of classifications can lead to insidious divisions, in a manner that is as unfathomable as it is near -certain.

Ndewo.

I thoroughly understand where he is coming from, but I still find it unfortunate. It does not have to be that way for him or anyone else. He and numerous others can make the conscious choice to not allow that near-paranoia to distort and trivialize any possible healthy and insightful future discussion. It isn't that I do not sympathize with him or anyone else for that matter. I just find it very unfortunate that they would actively censor themselves out of this fear of supposed division.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by belovedaja(m): 9:02pm On Jul 16, 2013
Ishsoph: God! Dont even know half my state like thought i had. Where's Ututu located in Abia mbok
ututu is in arochukwu l.g.a. Ututu people are descendants of ezema atita just like the ohafia people.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ChinenyeN(m): 2:40am On Jul 17, 2013
some-girl:
Delineation and classification of these areas are man made. Who defined the boundaries? (most probably a foreigner, non- Igbo). What was the basis for the definition of the boundaries? Is there a reference point?
I don't accept everything I read. I would challenge even what many may consider as common knowledge until it becomes clear to me.
I won't be surprised if there is an abundance of literature that would support your stance, as many seem to enjoy and embrace any form of separatism, but I doubt these sources would answer my questions like where Owerre falls for example.
I would appreciate it if you could provide me with a starting point for my research and enlighten me to the best of your ability.
Daalu

The fact that you want to learn and understand for your self is good, and I do not mind being the starting point for your research. As a prelude, I want to clarify that this issue of delineation is not about separatism. It is not in any way concerned with politics. So don't limit your thought process like that. Delineation has nothing to do with separatism, but rather everything to do with our understanding of the various Igbo socio-cultural features. Now, any reasonable Igbo person knows that there is no one "Igbo" culture. It varies from community to community. However, a broad-spectrum observation of Igbo culture shows that the various Igbo socio-cultural features are discernibly clustered into regions.

These observed regional clusters were simply geographically delineated, based on our ethnographic map of Igboland. What this means is that if a regional cluster is delineated as "southern", then it is simply because it is the most southerly. If a regional cluster is delineated as "eastern", it is simply because it is the most easterly, and so on and so forth. Academic Igbo literature goes on to list 5 regional clusters. Below you will see that I listed 6. I included Riverine because I do believe it is discernible enough to be recognized in its own right, rather than us attempting to compartmentalize it within the western regional cluster.

The Regional Clusters: [In no particular order]

1) Northern - Characterized by its Nri-centered socio-religious themes, its comparatively high degree of social stratification and the presence of title and mmanwu societies. Sometimes also referred to as Nri Igbo, and it includes the communities that are said to make up the Nri-Awka axis.

2) Southern - Characterized by its egalitarianism and comparative lack of social stratification, expansive settlements and its comparatively high degree of ethnic self-awareness. This includes communities in the Isu-Urata/Ngwa-Ikwere axes.

3) Riverine - Characterized by its water-centered socio-culture and social stratification. Sometimes also referred to as Oru Igbo. This includes the Oru and Orsu communities, stretching down to Ukwani-Oguta and includes Ekpeye.

4) Eastern - Characterized by its secret society themed social structure, and its celebrated war-like culture and masked dances. Sometimes also called Cross River Igbo, and constitutes the Aro-Afikpo-Bende axis.

5) Western - Characterized by its mix of Bini and Nri-themed or attributed hereditary kingship and socio-cultural traditions. Onitsha and the Enuani/Ika communities constitute this regional cluster.

6) Northeastern - Characterized by its dispersed settlement pattern, highly agrarian lifestyle, lack of social stratification and divergent/distinct linguistic features. Sometimes also referred to as Abakaliki Igbo. It includes communities within the Izii-Ezaa axis.

Note that none of the above has anything to do with politics and separatism. It's simply ethnography. The terminology used may be man-made, but that should not take away from the fact that they are all based on observable socio-cultural features. This ethnographic sketch of the regional clusters was made possible by the research and contribution of communities throughout Igboland. It is not something defined by foreigners, but rather something that can be verified and observed by the Igbo themselves.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by bigfrancis21: 8:50am On Jul 17, 2013
kopite:

Please verify facts before making a misleading contribution.......there is no such thing as mazi in ikwerre land. get your facts right or they will be termed propaganda. igbos wont let ikwerres rest because of their expansionist ideology.

I've listened to several ikwerre programmes on radio and each time they wanted to introduce themselves, they used Mazi. Ikwerre is an Igbo dialect and I understood everything that was said on that program. My younger brother was in the car with me (my mom's car) listening to the same programme, and when I told him that the program was an ikwerre program, he was shocked and said, 'is this the so-called ikwerre language that they are saying is not Igbo?'
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Abagworo(m): 9:17am On Jul 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I've listened to several ikwerre programmes on radio and each time they wanted to introduce themselves, they used Mazi. Ikwerre is an Igbo dialect and I understood everything that was said on that program. My younger brother was in the car with me (my mom's car) listening to the same programme, and when I told him that the program was an ikwerre program, he was shocked and said, 'is this the so-called ikwerre language that they are saying is not Igbo?'

You should have ignored him. He mistook the topic and its aim and was trying to deviate. I still have some burial brochures of Mazi this or that with me.

I don't even belong to the school of thought that Ikwerre is Igbo.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 17, 2013
steveec122: Onye asula Ngili-igbo!! nne i bu onye ebee, nne isi ebee

o bu na mu akaghi ndi niile na-asu sooso onyibo ebea mma? Ihe ka mkpa bu na i ghotara ebe mu na-aga.

A bu Ada Nkanu, kedu ihe i ji a juru? Kee ncha bu omo?
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by somegirl1: 1:02pm On Jul 17, 2013
ChinenyeN:

The fact that you want to learn and understand for your self is good, and I do not mind being the starting point for your research. As a prelude, I want to clarify that this issue of delineation is not about separatism. It is not in any way concerned with politics. So don't limit your thought process like that. Delineation has nothing to do with separatism, but rather everything to do with our understanding of the various Igbo socio-cultural features. Now, any reasonable Igbo person knows that there is no one "Igbo" culture. It varies from community to community. However, a broad-spectrum observation of Igbo culture shows that the various Igbo socio-cultural features are discernibly clustered into regions.

These observed regional clusters were simply geographically delineated, based on our ethnographic map of Igboland. What this means is that if a regional cluster is delineated as "southern", then it is simply because it is the most southerly. If a regional cluster is delineated as "eastern", it is simply because it is the most easterly, and so on and so forth. Academic Igbo literature goes on to list 5 regional clusters. Below you will see that I listed 6. I included Riverine because I do believe it is discernible enough to be recognized in its own right, rather than us attempting to compartmentalize it within the western regional cluster.

The Regional Clusters: [In no particular order]

1) Northern - Characterized by its Nri-centered socio-religious themes, its comparatively high degree of social stratification and the presence of title and mmanwu societies. Sometimes also referred to as Nri Igbo, and it includes the communities that are said to make up the Nri-Awka axis.

2) Southern - Characterized by its egalitarianism and comparative lack of social stratification, expansive settlements and its comparatively high degree of ethnic self-awareness. This includes communities in the Isu-Urata/Ngwa-Ikwere axes.

3) Riverine - Characterized by its water-centered socio-culture and social stratification. Sometimes also referred to as Oru Igbo. This includes the Oru and Orsu communities, stretching down to Ukwani-Oguta and includes Ekpeye.

4) Eastern - Characterized by its secret society themed social structure, and its celebrated war-like culture and masked dances. Sometimes also called Cross River Igbo, and constitutes the Aro-Afikpo-Bende axis.

5) Western - Characterized by its mix of Bini and Nri-themed or attributed hereditary kingship and socio-cultural traditions. Onitsha and the Enuani/Ika communities constitute this regional cluster.

6) Northeastern - Characterized by its dispersed settlement pattern, highly agrarian lifestyle, lack of social stratification and divergent/distinct linguistic features. Sometimes also referred to as Abakaliki Igbo. It includes communities within the Izii-Ezaa axis.

Note that none of the above has anything to do with politics and separatism. It's simply ethnography. The terminology used may be man-made, but that should not take away from the fact that they are all based on observable socio-cultural features. This ethnographic sketch of the regional clusters was made possible by the research and contribution of communities throughout Igboland. It is not something defined by foreigners, but rather something that can be verified and observed by the Igbo themselves.

I see
We are all aware of heterogeneity in Igbo land. Mine may be a lone voice but I'm not convinced that these classifications are helpful for understanding the "various Igbo socio-cultural features" because while your descriptions of the various groups may apply to most peoples in the groups, there would be the isolated sub groups who do not quite fit here or there, most probably at the imaginary borders.
If we need to compare and contrast, why can't we just pick two or more Igbo subgroups and compare them as we do already.

I'm not attacking, I just fail to see how all of this is beneficial for us as a people.

2 Likes

Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Odinaka00(m): 2:37pm On Jul 17, 2013
Lordave: ndi Aniche Obaa??
Nwanne Ima Mazi Otti?

Echem ma Mazi Otti anwuola? Ulo ndi be otti di opposite ulo my father
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by mazidalima: 3:37pm On Jul 17, 2013
De or dede is nt d samething as mazi, in owerri n oda part of imo state, de can b an elder broda or uncle, while a little boy dat is a yr old can b called a mazi, base on d fact dat his father died while he was a baby n baby do not hv a grandfather. bt in d case of DEE, u cant cal a baby dee or dede, meaning u can stil hav a father alive n stil answer DEE.

kayci_d77:
Mazi is nothing close to dee or deede, Mazi means Mr and dee means an elder man. Mazi is a general Igbo language not particularly meant for some part of Igbo
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Lordave: 3:39pm On Jul 17, 2013
Odinaka00:

Echem ma Mazi Otti anwuola? Ulo ndi be otti di opposite ulo my father
eh the man awuola, Abum nwa nwanne ya nwoke, Michael.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by ChinenyeN(m): 6:31pm On Jul 17, 2013
some-girl:
I see
We are all aware of heterogeneity in Igbo land. Mine may be a lone voice but I'm not convinced that these classifications are helpful for understanding the "various Igbo socio-cultural features" because while your descriptions of the various groups may apply to most peoples in the groups, there would be the isolated sub groups who do not quite fit here or there, most probably at the imaginary borders.
If we need to compare and contrast, why can't we just pick two or more Igbo subgroups and compare them as we do already.

I'm not attacking, I just fail to see how all of this is beneficial for us as a people.

You are confusing things for yourself. Try to understand that the delineation is not centered on the "subgroups". It is neither an effort to compare, nor a matter of drawing imaginary borders between/around two or more "subgroups". Instead, delineation is all about the socio-cultural features and the evidence of broad-spectrum clustering. It is not about the culture of one "subgroup" vs another. I hope you can understand the difference. Let me know if you cannot, because understanding the difference is significant to understanding the geographical delineation.

Maybe if I rephrase it and say: The geographical delineation is based upon the different elements of Igbo socio-culture that appear regionalized. I hope that makes better sense.
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Odinaka00(m): 2:09pm On Jul 18, 2013
Lordave: eh the man awuola, Abum nwa nwanne ya nwoke, Michael.

Imakwana I bu nwannem nwoke? Ejim aka na imaruru family akporo ikwuagwu family? Mogambo
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Lordave: 2:48pm On Jul 18, 2013
Odinaka00:

Imakwana I bu nwannem nwoke? Ejim aka na imaruru family akporo ikwuagwu family? Mogambo
Uchem di ya. Amam Ferdinand Ikwuagwu. I no na facebook?
Re: The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society by Odinaka00(m): 10:41am On Jul 20, 2013
Lordave: Uchem di ya. Amam Ferdinand Ikwuagwu. I no na facebook?

Odinakachi Kenny

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Huge Crowd At Osun-Osogbo Festival (Photos) / Royal Family Rejects Abdulwasiu Gbolahan Lawal As New Oniru Of Iruland / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.