Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,464 members, 7,819,689 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? (6872 Views)

Senate Terminates REMITA Contract And Orders Prosecution Of Culprits / Prominent Nigerians Who May Be Jailed In 2016 (PHOTOS) / Jonathan Afraid Of Being Jailed By Buhari If He Looses - Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by kennyman20(m): 1:19pm On Jul 14, 2013
Nairalanders, kindly forgive my ignorance incase aint posting this info in the right section. Dont know where to post it.. So, thought this section is the best section for it.

Anyway, here's the crappy scene that happened in one stupid nigerian police station which has not stop putting me in serious amazement up till this very moment.

Here goes the story..
Yesterday, my sister went to the market to get some stuffs. On getting there, some developments were going on by the nigerian police asking all the market women and shopowners to maintain only their shop in displaying their goods and as well for doing their selling things.

So, where my sister was negotiating what she wants to buy, the police have been there before, warned them to maintain a certain boundary.. My sister wasnt aware of this because she got there some minutes after when the police left there. While she was negotiating.

The police were fast approaching where she was, she just saw people running. So, she was of the opinion that they were chasing a culprit. She had to maintain her position. Surprisingly, the police came and arrested her. She asked them of her offence.

They told her, when she gets to their station. when they got there. They told her that the place she was standing negotiating is out of bound due to the recent development. She pleaded that she's unaware. To cut the long story short. Before she knows it.

The next thing she heard was that she should start pulling her top and bra that's she's going to the cell. She was like, how would she unclad herself because she's going to cell. They told her that's how its been done. Anyway, she's there arguing with them when we got there.

Thank God. With the intervention of some people. We're able to settle the issue. Nairalanders, the station in question is sango ota police station in ogun state.

My question is that. Is that the way any female culprit in every Nigerian police station is been treated or is it this station in question that formulate their own policy?

Pls, the contribution of any nairalander that has been a victim of this nasty treatment is highly needed for everyone to know if its legal or not and for one to know how to deal with such situation incase such happens to anybody in future.

1 Like

Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by kennyman20(m): 1:27pm On Jul 14, 2013
moderators, kindly forward this to front page so as to get people aware of this crazy act.. And to hear people view on this so as to also know how to deal with the situation.. Thanks..
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by YoshiMaster: 2:09pm On Jul 14, 2013
Gosh, that is disgusting.

Has the police descended so low? Even for them suggesting that at all, they should punished.
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by YoshiMaster: 2:11pm On Jul 14, 2013
The title is a bit misleading, at least most strippers strip voluntarily.

This on the other hand is molestation, how do we mobilize to kick these bastards out?
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by jmoore(m): 2:27pm On Jul 14, 2013
I was a victim. It was newyear, the police came to our house following a report by a boy that we attacked him though he was the one that started the fight.
I was arrested along with my brother and was taken to the station. They commanded us to strip and we were left with only boxers before they locked us up.
When my dad came to bail us and asked them why we got stripped. They told him a lie that we were stubborn and tried to start a fight in the station.
We got released in the evening.

Police is not my friend!!
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by supaeagles(m): 2:28pm On Jul 14, 2013
It's is simply s3xual abuse being perpetrated by the police. What a real shame and it is not the only crime they commit when 'carrying out their duties' as they do other deviant things!
Thank God, your sister was saved from such a situation.

4 Likes

Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 14, 2013
wow

see how low this country has descended or rather put,how low the nigerian police has descended
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 14, 2013
They shouldnt do that to ladies. Thats illogical; how could they ask her to remove her under wears, i suspect ulterior motives.
But for God's sake, were'nt those police men taught by their fathers on how to treat a lady?
This is completely absurd!
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by joachine: 2:32pm On Jul 14, 2013
Dat was hw a police woman told me 2 puloff my busers b4 enterin d ceLl, I had no choice cos I no wan chop anoder slap

2 Likes

Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by Djtm(m): 2:34pm On Jul 14, 2013
What the f@#k? Oh sorry! I forgot, it's the nigerian police.
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by albacete(m): 2:35pm On Jul 14, 2013
joachine: Dat was hw a police woman told me 2 puloff my busers b4 enterin d ceLl, I had no choice cos I no wan chop anoder slap
shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by duni04(m): 2:35pm On Jul 14, 2013
This is very stale. The OP seriously wants to pretend he doesn't know wot goes on in nigerian jail houses and prisons? That's even the least of what they do. Just be thankful your sister got out instead of feigning ignorance of what is happening.

1 Like

Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by IGBOSON1: 2:39pm On Jul 14, 2013
They just wanted a free show......the horn/y dirty perverts!
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by ecolime(m): 2:39pm On Jul 14, 2013
This can't be true. I don't think Nigeria has deteriorated to this level. Can someone proove me right?

2 Likes

Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by ULSHERLAN(m): 2:42pm On Jul 14, 2013
milehigh06: wow

see how low this country has descended or rather put,how low the nigerian police has descended
This happens everywhere. Don't be too quick to descend on Nigeria like its the only country this evil acts occurs @topic something needs to be done about this
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by emans(m): 2:43pm On Jul 14, 2013
dnt beleive dis,my friend has been locked in there before and i dnt hear dis kind of story....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by 360command: 2:48pm On Jul 14, 2013
This is not new in nigeria. Its has been happening. Don't you hear of people reporting cases to you on what happened to them at the station. Sorry about your sis ,I am glad she did not enter the black mamba.
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:49pm On Jul 14, 2013
OMG! I wanna laff. But this is a serious issue.
Is this not the same Sango Ota that policemen arrested a cow ontop one murder issue few months ago?
Last Bullet: Something is wrong with those policemen. They need military deliverance.
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 2:50pm On Jul 14, 2013
ULSHERLAN:
This happens everywhere. Don't be too quick to descend on Nigeria like its the only country this evil acts occurs @topic something needs to be done about this

really?
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by born2boink(m): 2:52pm On Jul 14, 2013
I laugh my anus commot mess, Policee wan see toto, Thunder fire dem patapata, any police giving nigeria bad names will shoot by criminal among them because they themselves are criminals and the descent one shall live to testify to their grand children in Jesus name, except baba God don get bed for heaven to dey sleep which I am sure not
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 14, 2013
That's how I heard one horror story of a lady in Benin that went to report a crime then was arrested, raped and she got badly injured. By the time her family found out, she had died (or was killed) and been buried! That Benin ehn.. Tufiakwa!
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by Policewoman(f): 2:57pm On Jul 14, 2013
Female culprits are not allowed to strip to their tops or go topless before entering the cell. Whoever made that up?

2 Likes

Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 14, 2013
*sighs* this is pure molestation and u guys shld sue dem 4 it.. SMH @ d police force

2 Likes

Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by 360command: 3:00pm On Jul 14, 2013
born2fuck: I laugh my anus commot mess, Policee wan see toto, Thunder fire dem patapata, any police giving nigeria bad names will shoot by criminal among them because they themselves are criminals and the descent one shall live to testify to their grand children in Jesus name, except baba God don get bed for heaven to dey sleep which I am sure not
I feel u sha! Some of the this police act upon the society which have turned them into. I live near the police station, these guys are beings , they have feelings but the society we live in makes them act like animals in the jungle.

1 Like

Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by bloggernaija: 3:01pm On Jul 14, 2013
Actually ,the police are suppose to remove any item with which you can hurt your self ,commit suicide or use as a weapon.
While I am not sure of the prevailing situation , I can assure you,this is the standard operating procedure worldwide when a constant, round the clock monitoring and surveillance, is not available .

1 Like

Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by kennyman20(m): 3:08pm On Jul 14, 2013
sylvalord: *sighs* this is pure molestation and u guys shld sue dem 4 it.. SMH @ d police force

Thanks.. Have been thinking of the sueing of a thing.. Just that am confused cos am not used to police station and dont knw if stripping of ladies wears before entering cell is legal or not.. Cos the way my sister told me that when she objected.. They yelled at her thats how its been done else she would be dealt with.. Some sort of threat anyway..
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 14, 2013
Rawdeal: That's how I heard one horror story of a lady in Benin that went to report a crime then was arrested, raped and she got badly injured. By the time her family found out, she had died (or was killed) and been buried! That Benin ehn.. Tufiakwa!
dude this happened in sango ota nt benin.. Stop being a tribalist
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by CarCam: 3:10pm On Jul 14, 2013
kennyman20: Nairalanders, kindly forgive my ignorance incase aint posting this info in the right section. Dont know where to post it.. So, thought this section is the best section for it.

Anyway, here's the crappy scene that happened in one stupid nigerian police station which has not stop putting me in serious amazement up till this very moment.

My question is that. Is that the way any female culprit in every Nigerian police station is been treated or is it this station in question that formulate their own policy?

Pls, the contribution of any nairalander that has been a victim of this nasty treatment is highly needed for everyone to know if its legal or not and for one to know how to deal with such situation incase such happens to anybody in future.

Policewoman:

Female culprits are not allowed to strip to their tops or go topless before entering the cell.

Whoever made that up?

@kennyman20, @Policewoman

When incarcerated after an arrest, OBJ's wife was stripped to her underwear ...

Apparently this is a common practice in some naija police stations

Mrs Oluremi Obasanjo, the mother of Iyabo and Gbenga Obasanjo launched her new book in November 11, 2008 and penned a similar account when arrested by the police.

- Esther Oluremi Obasanjo,
- BITTER - SWEET My Life With Obasanjo
(Diamond Publications, 2008)

Excerpts

" ...The good time with Obasanjo was short-lived. He became unreliable again, concerned only with his interests. In 1983, I made up my mind that it was better I relocated the poultry business from Abeokuta to Lagos so I could conserve my energy in one place. I transferred Gbenga and Enitan from Corona, Victoria Island to Corona, Gbagada. By this time, Obasanjo had inched his way into the poultry farm and was claiming it as his own.

I decided to remove my birds and other items from the land. One Friday, I went to the farm with two lorries; I was in one while Sina, my brother, was in the other. We removed the birds and headed to Lagos. Sina arrived in Lagos without any hitch. Not me. When I reached Lafenwa Roundabout at Abeokuta, I was stopped by Mr. Kosemani, who had attended Damilola’s naming. He told the police to arrest me because I had stolen Obasanjo’s birds.

I made great fuss before the police could arrest me. People gathered to watch the spectacle. While this was going on, an old woman urged the crowd to leave Kosemani alone as anyone who allowed his head to be used in cracking a coconut never ate of it.

I was clamped in jail at Lafenwa Police Station. I was placed behind the counter at the police station, where I had been stripped to my underwear.

Obasanjo left his place at Ota for my Oduduwa Crescent residence in Lagos to retrieve the poultry products with Sina. Satisfied, he came to Abeokuta where he directed that I should be taken to court the following Monday.

When the DPO arrived, he asked me to dress up. I told him I was only acting on the police instructions.

Late Chief Olanrewaju and Chief Niyi Adegbenro visited me at the station, pleading with me that I should go home. Both had visited Obasanjo at home in Abeokuta to tell him what he did was wrong. It was he who directed them to come to me at the station.

Bad news travels fast. Simbiat Abiola waded in; she brought her elder sister and offered to bail me. I refused, opting to sleep in jail as Kosemani had directed. I spent the night in police cell, a guest of mosquitoes. ..."

http://www.diamondpublicationsng.com/diamondpublications/bittersweetbkaugust08.html

https://www.nairaland.com/196903/bitter-sweet-iyabos-mother-recounts
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by kennyman20(m): 3:11pm On Jul 14, 2013
bloggernaija: Actually ,the police are suppose to remove any item with which you can hurt your self ,commit suicide or use as a weapon.
While I am not sure of the prevailing situation , I can assure you,this is the standard operating procedure worldwide when a constant, round the clock monitoring and surveillance, is not available .

do u mean when a constant, round the clock monitoring and surveilliance is not available.. The last resort should be ladies going unclad into cell? Is clothing a weapon or does clothes harm?
Re: Are Culprits Stripped Before Being Jailed In Nigeria? by zolajpower: 3:15pm On Jul 14, 2013
First nd formost,i hv got u to blame. Bein a nairalander u shld hv tried 2 take a pix of d scene and show us nd d world hw inhuman d NPF can b. Secondly,we dnt knw d magnitude of such offence as i wil nt want to be judgmental. More so i hvnt heard frm d oda party. Am nt takin there sid any way. Becos d story was painted as if ur sis,was innoucent. Since God has nt call me to judge Anyway sorry abt d whole thn.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari's Presidency: Tribalism Wins Competence / There Are Yorubas, Hausa's In South South / The Most Peaceful & Violence States In Nigeria Today By Security Analysis(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.