Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,842 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

My Home Is Breaking - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Home Is Breaking (11759 Views)

How Does It Happen In Your Home, Is Your Marriage This Messed Up? / Must I Befriend My Husband Mistress Before There Will Be Peace In My Home? / My Husbands Brother Is Breaking My Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Home Is Breaking by MrsChima(f): 11:59am On Aug 16, 2013
It's better to equally yoked before marriage than to be equally blind.
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 16, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
I love u pass my parents.I can do anything for u bebe,ur wish is my command,oh he is sooo coool,look at his nose,legs and abs etc
The list is endless!
You know this bro? wink
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 16, 2013
your husband probably had it in the back of his mind that he will eventually convert you to his religion and he waited until after having a child to bring this to the front burner.

I also think that you not being a staunch muslim might be willing ( if encouraged ) to join his religion so on that note I will advice you to happily join him. not just because an african woman must join her husbands religion but becoz marriage is sweeter when a family practice one religion.

now that a child is involved, divorce maybe more tasking for you than compromise. after all serving God is of the mind.

you say he is a good man so this shd not be too difficult a sacrifice to make and he might love you more for this.

take care
wink
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 16, 2013
joker5180: am surprised u called urself a muslim, go back to islamic teachings on a muslim woman marrying a non-muslim and u will knw that u made a mistake abnitio.
Someone is asking for an advice you are here condemning! Religion is indeed the opium of the masses... It has taken over our common sense! Smh

So two people who are in love can't get married cos of a barrier called religion? The question you need to ask yourself is, Does being in the same religion guaranty a happy home? Even though majority of people marry from their religion, there is still a looming rate of divorce... So what then is the problem?

OP, I guess the problem is foundational! Yourself and your spouse didn't talk it through and reach a compromise as touching this. You need to do what you ought to have done during courtship now... Sit him down an appeal to his sense of understanding. He's human too and if he has an iota of love for you, he'd listen. Tell him the decision to switch religion is a huge one and it should not be forced on anyone. Tell him everything has to do with your mind and personal conviction. I'm sure he would not just want you to be a church-goer, he would want you to have faith in Jesus. So he should let God convince you personally. Until then, peace should reign in your home. Doing this would buy you time... Before you decide what to do.

Now what to do... I need to ask you some questions.
1. Have you ever had the thought of being a christain?
2. How did it make you feel?
3. Do you feel you'd be happy being a christain?
4. What do you feel about your kids being christains?

If your answers to the questions above were positive, then you can easily switch for the sake of keeping your home. But if they are negative, then you really have to stand your ground, but in an indirect way. Men are like toddlers, they can easily be manipulated depending on the approach you use. You know your hubby more than every other person. Always be calm when you are talking to him... Don't argue with him. Be submissive in your tone when taking home your point. Whenever he raises the issue remind him that he can force a horse to the stream, but he can't force it to drink water. Over time you guys will get over it. I'm sure he's getting pushed by some external forces. Work on his psyche and you will be fine. In doing this, you must always meet up with your wifely expectations. Take care of the home, feed him well et al! The home is yours dear... You can either build or destroy it. It all depends on you. "Wisdom is the principal thing, seek wisdom..."

1 Like

Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 16, 2013
joker5180: am surprised u called urself a muslim, go back to islamic teachings on a muslim woman marrying a non-muslim and u will knw that u made a mistake abnitio.
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 6:28pm On Aug 16, 2013
kofsy:
Someone is asking for an advice you are here condemning! Religion is indeed the opium of the masses... It has taken over our common sense! Smh

So two people who are in love can't get married cos of a barrier called religion? The question you need to ask yourself is, Does being in the same religion guaranty a happy home? Even though majority of people marry from their religion, there is still a looming rate of divorce... So what then is the problem?

OP, I guess the problem is foundational! Yourself and your spouse didn't talk it through and reach a compromise as touching this. You need to do what you ought to have done during courtship now... Sit him down an appeal to his sense of understanding. He's human too and if he has an iota of love for you, he'd listen. Tell him the decision to switch religion is a huge one and it should not be forced on anyone. Tell him everything has to do with your mind and personal conviction. I'm sure he would not just want you to be a church-goer, he would want you to have faith in Jesus. So he should let God convince you personally. Until then, peace should reign in your home. Doing this would buy you time... Before you decide what to do.

If your answers to the questions above were positive, then you can easily switch for the sake of keeping your home. But if they are negative, then you really have to stand your ground, but in an indirect way. Men are like toddlers, they can easily be manipulated depending on the approach you use. You know your hubby more than every other person. Always be calm when you are talking to him... Don't argue with him. Be submissive in your tone when taking home your point. Whenever he raises the issue remind him that he can force a horse to the stream, but he can't force it to drink water. Over time you guys will get over it. I'm sure he's getting pushed by some external forces. Work on his psyche and you will be fine. In doing this, you must always meet up with your wifely expectations. Take care of the home, feed him well et al! The home is yours dear... You can either build or destroy it. It all depends on you. "Wisdom is the principal thing, seek wisdom..."
when i subscribe to any religion i do so wholeheartdly. her religion is CLEAR abt this issue and what she is expeciencing now is one of the reasons her religion decreed so. way forward is simple; seek for divorce and go back to the teachings of your religion.

2 Likes

Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 6:40pm On Aug 16, 2013
joker5180: when i subscribe to any religion i do so wholeheartdly. her religion is CLEAR abt this issue and what she is expeciencing now is one of the reasons her religion decreed so. way forward is simple; seek for divorce and go back to the teachings of your religion.
You are indeed a joker...
Re: My Home Is Breaking by baby124: 7:08pm On Aug 16, 2013
What was the agreement before marriage? If there was an agreement and now he feels since you are married he can change his mind then my sister, you have been conned. many nigerian marriages especially Yoruba marriages have both relgions and they are co-existing. I have christian as well as muslim relatives, and they also intermarry with other religions. I hope this issue was discussed before marriage. It seems you are living in the UK, maybe the recent misadventure by a Nigerian youth in the name if islam has made him a bit apprehensive to raising his kids with those beliefs. Especially if he cannot control what they are being taught in the mosques. Truly the way muslim youths behave these days is cause for alarm for any parent. No one wants their kids being indoctrinated with fanatic beliefs and they dont even understand the religion, or even attend such an institution. Try to find out what is going on. undecided
Re: My Home Is Breaking by yetseyi(f): 9:44am On Aug 17, 2013
my neighbor's wife recently converted 2 Islam nd I almost cried. she said she had an agreement wit d husy 2 go on being a xtian but 4yrs nd 2kids later she sucumbed 2 presure frm inlaws etc, nd she had a deeper life bakgound

point is as a lady if u're nt ready 2 convert 2 ur husy religion dnt bother marrying him
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 9:52am On Aug 17, 2013
yetseyi: my neighbor's wife recently converted 2 Islam nd I almost cried. she said she had an agreement wit d husy 2 go on being a xtian but 4yrs nd 2kids later she sucumbed 2 presure frm inlaws etc, nd she had a deeper life bakgound

point is as a lady if u're nt ready 2 convert 2 ur husy religion dnt bother marrying him
some ladies r jst blind, u captured it succinctly. as a lady DO NOT start it .

1 Like

Re: My Home Is Breaking by Sweetmom115: 1:53am On Aug 25, 2013
kofsy:

Thank you so much Kofsy

Your words are touching & sincerly appriciate your advise. We had a discussion few days back & he explain why "I should change my religion due to our baby. He doesn't want them to practice different other than he's religion but we were able to reach an agreement and I told him to give me time to work things out.
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Sweetmom115: 2:03am On Aug 25, 2013
I speak with my mom also about this, I was amazed shld Cldnt support me. She said a gud wife must practice her husband religion so matter what the case might be, she said we ladies of this generation seems to be very selfish of ourself & that's why we've high rates of divorce.
Re: My Home Is Breaking by greatgod2012(f): 2:56am On Aug 25, 2013
Sweetmom115: I speak with my mom also about this, I was amazed shld Cldnt support me. She said a gud wife must practice her husband religion so matter what the case might be, she said we ladies of this generation seems to be very selfish of ourself & that's why we've high rates of divorce.

I love what your mum said, but what's your own opinion on that?
May God help you to make the right decision.

One thing I love about this thread is that those who are still single can learn from this thread, especially to the ladies, DO NOT START WHAT YOU CAN NOT COMPLETE.
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Fruitful2: 9:31am On Aug 25, 2013
Young lady there is no point apportioning blames right now.The mistake has been done.You are both responsible for this mistake.This is an issue that both of you would have discussed during your courtship.Presently with what is happening in the north,the Islamic religion is not being portrayed in a good light.A man who does not understand the Islamic religion before all this crises would never want his children to end up like the fanatics are displaying.Fighting or being rebellious would only confirm his fears.

Secondly you need to know what is important right now in your life and marriage.Marriage comes with sacrifice.You have not complain he is abusive, violent, unfaithful, poor etc.

If beign a Christian will bring harmony,peace, joy, fruifulness and make you, your husband and kids etc enjoy your marriage then I don't think it's too much a sacrifice for your kids.

It's not also advisable that both parents should practice different religion.Is either you are both Christians or Muslims.

Religion has also destroyed so many marriages.The African culture has place the responsibility of being the head of the home to the man.In the context of him providing for his family, protecting his family, being there for his family at all times.

This is our culture and this is who we are.Now I know those who will want to go against this by telling us what is obtainble in the western world.But am sure the African woman is not ready to contribute or shoulder 50 percent of the man responsibility in the home.It is at this point they remind you that the man is the Head of the home so he should shoulder his responsibility.

PLEASE NOTE IN THE CONTEXT OF THE MAN BEING THE HEAD DOESN'T MAKE HIM A DICTATOR, ABUSIVE, VIOLENT, DISRESPECTFUL, DOES NOT LISTEN OR TAKE ADVICE FROM HIS WIFE.DOES NOT GIVE HIM THE LIBERTY TO BECOME A CHEAT.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION.THE CHOICE TO BE HAPPY AND NOT TO BE HAPPY RESTS WITH YOUR DECISION.

You married him because you love him
Re: My Home Is Breaking by biolabee(m): 9:47am On Aug 25, 2013
good mama in the age of licence

She has given you the best advice

Sweetmom115: I speak with my mom also about this, I was amazed shld Cldnt support me. She said a gud wife must practice her husband religion so matter what the case might be, she said we ladies of this generation seems to be very selfish of ourself & that's why we've high rates of divorce.
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 25, 2013
ur religion FIRST. u may hv peace, happiness, nd b with ur loved one BUT is that worth exchanging for ur HEREAFTER?

2 Likes

Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 25, 2013
Is it not the same God, we all worship.. Why are human beings segregating on how to worship God? Be it Muslim or Christian , God will answer our prayers , if done with a pure intentions ..op, serving God comes first , Yes... But not serving of religion.... if your husband is a good man, and the only problem is religion? ... my dear, follow your husband to his church , cause we all serve the same God and the Man is the head , who leads his family.... not the woman...when your family start expanding ,, who will they follow you or your husband?...i feel thats what your husband has realised...for peace to reign , and to keep your home , shelve pride, human ways of confusing issues, and follow your husband wholeheartedly .... Didn't u see Janet Jackson turn into a Muslim? Her husband profession? All for peace to reign... Even Asiwaju Tinubu, his wife follows him to mosques, even though she's a Christian ... It's all about understanding, true love, sacrifice and wisdom...no home is perfect , u shud even thank God that u have a good husband, which some married women are praying to switch, if they have the means... Value what u have, trust your husband, that he won't lead u astray and believe that we all serve the same God.
As for me, I have no issue about religion, whomsoever I fall In love with and marry, be it Muslim, hindu, or free thinkers club, am all for it, as long as there is true love and my intending husband is good to me, what else do I need? ... Except church of satan grin.....that one,na no no.... I don't nid in my life.. So uphold your marriage, nurture it and serve God, Not Religion.
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 9:05pm On Aug 25, 2013

Your mother is wise
Fellow her advise
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 10:34pm On Aug 25, 2013
Amelian: Is it not the same God, we all worship.. Why are human beings segregating on how to worship God? Be it Muslim or Christian , God will answer our prayers , if done with a pure intentions ..op, serving God comes first , Yes... But not serving of religion.... if your husband is a good man, and the only problem is religion? ... my dear, follow your husband to his church , cause we all serve the same God and the Man is the head , who leads his family.... not the woman...when your family start expanding ,, who will they follow you or your husband?...i feel thats what your husband has realised...for peace to reign , and to keep your home , shelve pride, human ways of confusing issues, and follow your husband wholeheartedly .... Didn't u see Janet Jackson turn into a Muslim? Her husband profession? All for peace to reign... Even Asiwaju Tinubu, his wife follows him to mosques, even though she's a Christian ... It's all about understanding, true love, sacrifice and wisdom...no home is perfect , u shud even thank God that u have a good husband, which some married women are praying to switch, if they have the means... Value what u have, trust your husband, that he won't lead u astray and believe that we all serve the same God.
As for me, I have no issue about religion, whomsoever I fall In love with and marry, be it Muslim, hindu, or free thinkers club, am all for it, as long as there is true love and my intending husband is good to me, what else do I need? ... Except church of satan grin.....that one,na no no.... I don't nid in my life.. So uphold your marriage, nurture it and serve God, Not Religion.
these r words of deception, we DONT worship the SAME GOD, worship ur GOD nd let her worship hers.

1 Like

Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 11:25pm On Aug 25, 2013
joker5180: these r words of deception, we DONT worship the SAME GOD, worship ur GOD nd let her worship hers.

It's not deception... We are only deceiving and confusing ourselves ... So she should divorce her husband , cause he wants her to join his religion? ..... As for me that's fullishness ....I can never divorce a good man/ husband due to religion..good men are very scarce but religion is everywhere , preaching and maniupluating whatever to suit each other needs.. Well, it's her choice, to go ahead and marry religion, while her husband could get someone better to suit his needs...al least, it's not by force to stay married.
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 6:57am On Aug 26, 2013
Amelian:

It's not deception... We are only deceiving and confusing ourselves ... So she should divorce her husband , cause he wants her to join his religion? ..... As for me that's fullishness ....I can never divorce a good man/ husband due to religion..good men are very scarce but religion is everywhere , preaching and maniupluating whatever to suit each other needs.. Well, it's her choice, to go ahead and marry religion, while her husband could get someone better to suit his needs...al least, it's not by force to stay married.
i see! u r one of those ppl who does not believe in the God they worship, as MUSLIMS we believe in ALLAH and the DAY OF JUDGEMENT( a day when all creatures will rise from death and give full account of their worldly adventure), that day ONLY ur deed will save NOT a good husband or a peaceful home. my SISTER (sweetmomm) dnt get decieved there wil be LIFE after death and what matters is NOT this one, DONT leave ur GOD for someone else's God and DONT lead ur CHILDREN ASTRAY, u hv no HOME in that HOME. the ppl advicing u r ppl who believe life start and ends in this world.

2 Likes

Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 7:06am On Aug 26, 2013
and thats the reason why u shouldnt hv gone into this marriage in the first place, u will deliver children who wil practice a religion different frm urs nd u may ultimately lose ur iman(faith). check the english versions of SAHIH BUKARI and SAHIH MUSLIM, read the chapters on marriage u wil get ALL the answers u need. MANY nairalanders dnt understand ur religion and hence give a one sided advice
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 26, 2013
joker5180: i see! u r one of those ppl who does not believe in the God they worship, as MUSLIMS we believe in ALLAH and the DAY OF JUDGEMENT( a day when all creatures will rise from death and give full account of their worldly adventure), that day ONLY ur deed will save NOT a good husband or a peaceful home. my SISTER (sweetmomm) dnt get decieved there wil be LIFE after death and what matters is NOT this one, DONT leave ur GOD for someone else's God and DONT lead ur CHILDREN ASTRAY, u hv no HOME in that HOME. the ppl advicing u r ppl who believe life start and ends in this world.

I believe in the God I worship, pls don't get it twisted... And my life has been very great , so far.... Connection I have with God is awesome and unique, I don't need a distinctive religion to make heaven, as long as I keep the laws of God.... And am at peace with my chosen faith.
Re: My Home Is Breaking by bukatyne(f): 11:22am On Aug 26, 2013
I guess we are all saying the mother is wise because her hubby is a Christian.

In as much as marriage is important, our faith in God is much more important. The mom is probably not grounded in her religion that's why she thinks a woman should follow her hubby's religion.

I do not even understand the selfishness in me wanting to serve my God the way I am convinced to.

P.S.: Christians and Muslims do not serve the same God.

This is a big lesson to the singles out there: Do not marry someone of another religion esp. if you know you cannot change.

2 Likes

Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 12:02pm On Aug 26, 2013
bukatyne: I guess we are all saying the mother is wise because her hubby is a Christian.

In as much as marriage is important, our faith in God is much more important. The mom is probably not grounded in her religion that's why she thinks a woman should follow her hubby's religion.

I do not even understand the selfishness in me wanting to serve my God the way I am convinced to.

P.S.: Christians and Muslims do not serve the same God.

This is a big lesson to the singles out there: Do not marry someone of another religion esp. if you know you cannot change.

how i wish she will take this advice SERIOUSLY
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 12:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
Amelian:

I believe in the God I worship, pls don't get it twisted... And my life has been very great , so far.... Connection I have with God is awesome and unique, I don't need a distinctive religion to make heaven, as long as I keep the laws of God.... And am at peace with my chosen faith.
i like ur response because it exposed the selfish in u, HER chosen faith is ISLAM and the laws of the God she keeps r the laws of ALLAH , laws of ALLAH says she should not even marry the man in the first place. pls allow her to keep the LAWS of her God (ALLAH) and keep peace with her chosen faith (ISLAM).
Re: My Home Is Breaking by deols(f): 2:43pm On Aug 26, 2013
@Op

Be careful whose advice you take. Many of those telling you to go ahead and be with him are saying so because they are Christians.

I dont know how much of a Muslim you are. But I can be sure that you are concerned about your hereafter and that of your children.
of course you dont want to lose out on al jannah just because of your husband's threat.

If he truly loves you like you claimed, he wont be lording this over you. In fact, when you maintain your stance about remaining a Muslim, he will allow you practice your religion because as much as you don't want to lose him, he also doesnt want to lose you.

Please talk to me here-

deols001naija@yahoo.com

3 Likes

Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 26, 2013
joker5180: i like ur response because it exposed the selfish in u, HER chosen faith is ISLAM and the laws of the God she keeps r the laws of ALLAH , laws of ALLAH says she should not even marry the man in the first place. pls allow her to keep the LAWS of her God (ALLAH) and keep peace with her chosen faith (ISLAM).

Pls , Point of correction, am not selfish....am one of the most humane, understanding human being on earth... But well, You are entitled to your own observation and judgement... That's for you, not me....
Re: My Home Is Breaking by AbdH: 7:29am On Aug 27, 2013
@poster,
there is no valid marriage between a Muslimah and a non-Muslim no matter how much is spent on the wedding, I hope you realize that.
I'll be frank with you, the solution is to divorce him and marry a Muslim for anything short of that is tantamount to having zina for the rest of your (un)married life.
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 27, 2013
Amelian:

Pls , Point of correction, am not selfish....am one of the most humane, understanding human being on earth... But well, You are entitled to your own observation and judgement... That's for you, not me....
correction taken
Re: My Home Is Breaking by Sweetmom115: 10:13am On Aug 27, 2013
AbdH: @poster,
there is no valid marriage between a Muslimah and a non-Muslim no matter how much is spent on the wedding, I hope you realize that.
I'll be frank with you, the solution is to divorce him and marry a Muslim for anything short of that is tantamount to having zina for the rest of your (un)married life.

Even when I've a baby for my husband I shld divorce him all in the name of religion?

Thanks alot

1 Like

Re: My Home Is Breaking by Sweetmom115: 10:15am On Aug 27, 2013
deols: @Op

Be careful whose advice you take. Many of those telling you to go ahead and be with him are saying so because they are Christians.

I dont know how much of a Muslim you are. But I can be sure that you are concerned about your hereafter and that of your children.
of course you dont want to lose out on al jannah just because of your husband's threat.

If he truly loves you like you claimed, he wont be lording this over you. In fact, when you maintain your stance about remaining a Muslim, he will allow you practice your religion because as much as you don't want to lose him, he also doesnt want to lose you.

Please talk to me here-

deols001naija@yahoo.com

Thanks alot

I tried to email you but I got failure delivery reply.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Surrogate Mother / Should Women Do Hard Work? / Marital Conflict - What Do You Suggest?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.