Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria (20811 Views)

Zaria Massacre: Sheikh Zakzaky Sent To France For Treatment / Africa’s ‘tallest Statue Of Jesus Christ’ To Be Unveiled In Imo / Okorocha's Statue, 'Effigy' Destroyed In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Stallion77(f): 8:42am On Jul 16, 2013
The Government of France has returned a valuable artefact, Esie statute, stolen from Nigeria in 2011 and seized by Customs officials at the Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris.
The statue, which originated from Kwara State is said to be between 500 to 900 years old.
The Ambassador of France to Nigeria, Mr. Jacques Champagne de Labriolle, at a symbolic handover ceremony to mark FrenchNational Day in Abuja Sunday night, said the artefact was returned in line with France hardline stance against trafficking in art works and historical items.
He also handed over the restitution documents to the Director General of the National Museum and Monuments Commission, Dr. Abdalla Usman. Labriolle described the statue as one of great antropologic value, while he recalled that five items of Nok origin were returned to Nigeria in February this year by the French government.
Speaking on bilateral issues between Nigeria and France, the envoy disclosed that the trade volume between the two nations reached about $6 billion annually.
He added that Air France, which commenced direct flights between Abuja and Paris in 2012 had recorded so much success on the route that it had converted to the use larger aircraft.
“French businessmen would visit Nigeria in October this year to access the potentials for their business. I have no doubt they would be interested provided the appropriate environment is guaranteed,” he said.
He said French troops have assisted ECOWAS to restore peace and push out terrorists in Mali, adding that the French Mission in Mali was a success.
He disclosed that 18 Nigerian troops marched alongside AFISMA and French troops in Paris on Sunday to mark the national day.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/france-returns-stolen-artefact-to-nigeria/153449/

1 Like

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by youthmustwork: 9:05am On Jul 16, 2013
Mtcheeeew. Who cares kwanu. If they like let thry come and carry our national mace or d already destroyed rivers mace.

ALL I ASK FOR IS A REVOLUTION.

Youths need work.

Free speech or write up. Dts d benefit of 1st to comment. Since i cnt make front page for almost 7yrs on nairaland. I think ds is my time. I even abondoned my first nairaland account thinkn it was curse to make front page and 1st to comment.

Eyeing front page b4 3days.

Dont be too excited on my poo comment. Remember d state nigeria need a nationwide revolution.

15 Likes

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by fiercehillz(m): 9:41am On Jul 16, 2013
Whr is d picture?

3 Likes

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:41am On Jul 16, 2013
THE GODS BE PRAISED!

6 Likes

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by fpeter(f): 9:44am On Jul 16, 2013
They should also pay us for the damages caused and traumatic experience
of losing the "effigy"...........crap!

1 Like

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Jabioro: 9:44am On Jul 16, 2013
Does dat change our economy value?

2 Likes

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
THE GODS BE PRAISED!
Lol, what did the Gods do on this matter?
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Celestyn8213: 9:45am On Jul 16, 2013
Afraid not to incure the wrath of the gods?

1 Like

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Austeenxx: 9:46am On Jul 16, 2013
Okay, thank God. undecided
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Lanrefahm(m): 9:46am On Jul 16, 2013
Owo lowo dakpa da
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by yuzedo: 9:48am On Jul 16, 2013
When is Britain going to follow suit?! undecided

5 Likes

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by picaro(f): 9:48am On Jul 16, 2013
fiercehillz: Whr is d picture?
always want to be spoon fed. Google it! do some work yourself, haba

1 Like

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Benspoon(m): 9:49am On Jul 16, 2013
Dats 4 a gud partnership ahead
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Pstsmith(m): 9:49am On Jul 16, 2013
na u sabi
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Saraben(f): 9:49am On Jul 16, 2013
eyyahh hmmmmm so dey returned it??
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:51am On Jul 16, 2013
That a good gesture but am sure they would something later wink
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:51am On Jul 16, 2013
How did it leave our museum?
Who stole it?
Or who sold it?
Someone help me as the Director General......five historic items?

This country is corrupt.

1 Like

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:52am On Jul 16, 2013
Ok na......Give us our Festac 77 logo artifact oooooo!.
That's what we need in Edo state!!!
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by ebamma3: 9:53am On Jul 16, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
THE GODS BE PRAISED!
the same gods that were there watching your ancestors being colonised by the british abi na the same gods were been dey watch as whitemen take our people into slavery?
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 16, 2013
fiercehillz: Whr is d picture?
visit www.devilfinder.com and do some search yourself! cool
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by braxjay(m): 9:54am On Jul 16, 2013
[size=20pt]with all the unrest happening in my dear country, where men maze men in rivers state and some calling the president's wife Jesus on earth grin grin grin and curfew in some states, and boko's more threats, kidnap, bribery and corruption, loss of real lives and so much more, why would bringing a lifeless image made of wood 900 years ago be of any relevance undecided undecided undecided undecided [/size]

5 Likes

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by sinmisolaoluwa: 9:55am On Jul 16, 2013
Thank God it has been restored,no one can take away wht belongs to us...nt even foreigners...am proud to hail frm esie...the land of stone images....
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 16, 2013
Britain and US nko? They should return all the ones with them too...

1 Like

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 16, 2013
Thanks.
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:56am On Jul 16, 2013
braxjay: [size=2pt]with all the unrest happening in my dear country, where men maze men in rivers state and some calling the president's wife Jesus on earth grin grin grin and curfew in some states, and boko's more threats, kidnap, bribery and corruption, loss of real lives and so much more, why would bringing a lifeless image made of wood 900 years ago be of any relevance undecided undecided undecided undecided [/size]
undecided undecided
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Sanboy25: 9:58am On Jul 16, 2013
Hum ok
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Lordave: 9:59am On Jul 16, 2013
They will steal it again.
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 16, 2013
They should inspect it very well oo. I dont trust Oyibo man oo. That Esie status may have been cloned and the clone handed back to us while they keep the original. There is nothing technology cannot do these days.... Even some Juju dey bow to modern day technology!

MY TWO CENTS THOUGH!

1 Like

Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by strangest(m): 10:01am On Jul 16, 2013
Very sOon it will be stolen again
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by Horus(m): 10:02am On Jul 16, 2013
[img]http://nationalmirroronline.net/thumbnail.php?file=/images_347058434.jpg&size=article_large[/img]

Who Carved the Esie Stone Statues?

Over 1,500 Esie Soapstone Statues were discovered in mysterious circumstances in the thick forest.
Re: France Returns Esie Statue To Nigeria by 30card(m): 10:03am On Jul 16, 2013
after them don duplicate am finish come send the duplicate come back abi?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#Babawhenugetthere Trending On Twitter / Okorocha, Wike, Danjuma Laah Reject Cattle Colonies!! / Tinubu Pernicious, Disingenuous Liar – Femi Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.