Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon (8812 Views)

Breaking !! Nigerian Crude Oil Cargoes Unsold Due To OIL GLUT! Economic Crises!! / Containerized Cargo Leaves Lagos For Kano/kaduna By Rail / Mass Evacuation Of Igbos In Maidugri! Guo Offers 20 Buses To Stranded Passagers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by awodman: 11:09am On Jul 17, 2013
kshow1: People should stop praising all these white elephant projects.
Lets all look for answers to the following questions.
1. Have we seen any major rail line leading to major cities in the country ?
2. What is the destination point of these project ? Apapa port to ?? (please also note that we have several ports of discharge i.e Apapa,Tincan,Five star,Grimaldi etc
3. Are there any terminals in the major cities to accommodate the containers from the port ?

If we cant readily get answers to the above questions, So how will goods be transported to these cities since we all know our nation is import-dependence.
Let me just try and believe that it is IGNORANCE on your part,so let me give you some education

1) Ave you not heard about Lagos-Kano rail line which is currently operational, PH-Maidugiri rail line which is undergoing rehabilitation,Abuja-Kaduna standard guage line under construction?

2)if you read comments here you would have seen @naptu say dis
".......Apapa → Ijora → Iddo where it links up with the main line (to Kano)..."

3) for the fact that these rail lines as stated in (1) above are working...certainly there are terminals

1 Like

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by mike404(m): 11:15am On Jul 17, 2013
FRESH AIR HAS TAKING OVER ME grin
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by mariong(m): 11:16am On Jul 17, 2013
2. What is the destination point of these project ? Apapa port to ?? (please also note that we have several ports of discharge i.e Apapa,Tincan,Five star,Grimaldi etc
3. Are there any terminals in the major cities to accommodate the containers from the port ?

If we cant readily get answers to the above questions, So how will goods be transported to these cities since we all know our nation is import-dependence.
white elephant project? In as much as you are trying to undermine the FG's effort, a phrase like this is inappropriate, unless you've forgeting what it means.
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by kshow1(m): 11:19am On Jul 17, 2013
awodman:
Let me just try and believe that it is IGNORANCE on your part,so let me give you some education

1) Ave you not heard about Lagos-Kano rail line which is currently operational, PH-Maidugiri rail line which is undergoing rehabilitation,Abuja-Kaduna standard guage line under construction?

3) for the fact that these rail lines as stated in (1) above are working...certainly there are terminals
You are the one that is Educationally Retarded.....
i said major cities (akure, jalingo, Gombe, abakaliki etc)
It is not only Apapa port that is functional there are several other ports that cargo ships berth with no rail-line.
TERMINAL in my post means a place where containers are offloaded and stored NOT railway terminals.

1 Like

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by Dee60: 11:20am On Jul 17, 2013
chidindufrank: I can see some e-warriors drinking rat poison because of this good news. GEJ carry go ochichi gi di anyi nma na ahu

Stop displaying your ignorance before the whole world. The APMT plan and the projects coming onstream now started during OBJ tenure. Let GEJ show the world his own key projects.

1 Like

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by tawa89(f): 11:25am On Jul 17, 2013
otokx: Please you guys should beg GEJ to give us light at UNIPORT. We pay our bills regularly even with the darkness.
Guyman you have bin complaining about this light issue since 2006 you joined Nairaland. Maybe your problem is from your village or what do you think?

2 Likes

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by Ramtzy: 11:25am On Jul 17, 2013
Dike Chimezie: Goodluck is working.
This is a commendable development.
This man is a magician oh.
Positive development is now a common norm.
Goodluck na elele no president be like am.
I'm feeling it -Fresh air.

Your post depicts deceit... Atleast, you would have waited for the real operation to commence, if not first successful trip before showering praises of Halleluyah on GEJ..
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by Onyenna(m): 11:27am On Jul 17, 2013
Gr8 news!....
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by awodman: 11:31am On Jul 17, 2013
Dee60:

Stop displaying your ignorance before the whole world. The APMT plan and the projects coming onstream now started during OBJ tenure. Let GEJ show the world his own key projects.
Really?...I thought govt was a CONTINUM?...mehn strip yourself of this hate or be ready to hang yourself soon...

1 Like

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by Faitheder(m): 11:31am On Jul 17, 2013
Ride on gej.
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by mariong(m): 11:33am On Jul 17, 2013
tawa89: Guyman you have bin complaining about this light issue since 2006 you joined Nairaland. Maybe your problem is from your village or what do you think?
gringringringringringringrin
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by ZACHIE: 11:46am On Jul 17, 2013
awodman:

You got it wrong bro.
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by Nuzo1(m): 11:46am On Jul 17, 2013
kshow1:
You are the one that is Educationally Retarded.....
i said major cities (akure, jalingo, Gombe, abakaliki etc)
It is not only Apapa port that is functional there are several other ports that cargo ships berth with no rail-line.
TERMINAL in my post means a place where containers are offloaded and stored NOT railway terminals.

I will also appreciate if Awodman can educate me as well on this issue.

It seems the primary objective of this project is to reduce the lorry traffic in Apapa axis which is a very good thing. However, I'm concerned on how we can access our goods without having to travel all the way to Kano or to some unmotorable terminals.

Kudos to FG!
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by postemail: 11:48am On Jul 17, 2013
Many containers are hauled to Old Ojo road, Alaba market, trade fair, agbara and mile 2 areas on cargo trucks that are too heavy for the Mile2-Badagary road. I don't know if a rail track to Ijora/iddo would reduce traffic on Apapa/mile2/badagary roads.

It 'd be nice if they built cargo rail tracks from the Apapa/tincan ports to these Mile2/Badary areas and other industrial zones.

Many importers in the east use Onne port -a bit more costly than Lagos ports, but I don't imagine them using the rail road to convey goods to the east. The container deposits for containers going outside Lagos are already crazy sums (>200k for 20ft, >300K for 40ft). Probably, the rail roads are mearnt to serve the north.
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by dridowu: 11:52am On Jul 17, 2013
anonimi:

Let me repeat & highlight relevant portions of the post as it seems you missed it.

I hope you understand the difference between past tense and future tense
thanks, ok, if i misses that but have YOU seen its works PHYSICALLY , until YOU, I or ANYONE else sees it working with ours EYES wide open , or may be UNTIL GEJ commission it without that its still remains " IS UNDERWAY" and "VERY SOON" . PEACE
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 17, 2013
Dee60:

There you go again. So because OBJ initiated a project, GEJ should not get due recognition for bringing it to fruition? You and your lots have been crying about abandoned projects for morthan 30years, yet,you don't have a good thing to say about a man who has taken it upon himself to fulfil promises made by past leaders. My man GEJ is doing what no other Nigerian politician has done before. Yes, quote me, the man is a blessing to Nigeria.
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by Joemint(m): 11:55am On Jul 17, 2013
I tank Jehovah 4d master plan. Gej all d way, ride on Mr. President n pls dnt rest until ur d expectation of Nigerians r atleast met.
Mo crease 2ur able n Gods protection
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by Pygru: 12:01pm On Jul 17, 2013
tawa89: Guyman you have bin complaining about this light issue since 2006 you joined Nairaland. Maybe your problem is from your village or what do you think?
grin grin grin
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by naptu2: 12:06pm On Jul 17, 2013
Gosh! I've got a lot to say about this, but I'm very busy at the moment. I'll summarise.

1) The rail line to Apapa (or at least one of them) was rehabilitated and has been conveying passengers from Iddo/Ebute-Metta since late last year/early this year. Apparently they've now rehabilitated the section that goes to the port.

2) There are a lot of factories in the Ijora and Apapa area that can use these trains to move their goods inland.

3) This line goes as far as Ajaokuta, Osun, Kano, etc. This means farmers, manufacturers and mining companies upland can move their goods straight to the port (no bribing police on the roads, armed robbers, bad roads, etc).

4) Less trailers on the road = less wear and tear on the road, accidents caused by trailers, traffic jams caused by broken down trucks, etc.

5) It'll probably be cheaper.

I'll be back with more.

4 Likes

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by naptu2: 12:09pm On Jul 17, 2013
Dee60:

It's true that it started during OBJ's era, but we must also give credit to GEJ for continuing with it.

OBJ started the NIPP project, Yar'Adua stopped it. Nigeria lost a lot because Yar'Adua stopped it. GEJ started it again and I'm very grateful for that.

6 Likes

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by awodman: 12:12pm On Jul 17, 2013
Nuzo':

I will also appreciate if Awodman can educate me as well on this issue.

It seems the primary objective of this project is to reduce the lorry traffic in Apapa axis which is a very good thing. However, I'm concerned on how we can access our goods without having to travel all the way to Kano or to some unmotorable terminals.

Kudos to FG!
I only comment based on information available to me which I source from our local media..honestly about what he said I don't know if something is happening in that regard or even there is any plans towards that..but what am sure of is that the govt has started some feasibility studies last year on new rail lines across the country..

@zachie you don't just say am wrong..counter my arguments with superior facts...
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by ba7man(m): 12:21pm On Jul 17, 2013
awodman:
that's why I like you,you give credit when its due..not all those see no good hear no good as long as I don't like his face...

@topic very good development...just imagine how this will reduce the cost of transporting goods which will in effect lead to lower market prices for consumers...SLOW and STEADY TRANSFORMATION noni....
Thanks sir. I'm not a big fan of G.E.J but he definitely has made some strides in certain areas of this Country.

This Rail might be a single move but its positive chain reactions will be massive. Makes you wonder what past leaders were thinking.

6 Likes

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by livingday: 12:33pm On Jul 17, 2013
awodman:

So in your definition what's real development?...

Real development goes beyond rehabilitation of railway which is our inheritance from colonial era. Nigeria should be ashamed that she has no functional railways and airways across the country, which poorer countries in Africa take for granted.
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by olahero(m): 12:37pm On Jul 17, 2013
That's Nigeria problem, important things are always late to touch, they do right things at wrong time.....! GEJ is a failure to this nation, #fact
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by naptu2: 12:45pm On Jul 17, 2013
The major new rail lines that have been planned are (in no particular order)

1) The East-West rail line

2) The line to Abuja

3) The high speed rail line from Abuja to Lagos.

At the moment they are rehabilitating existing lines, but one of the reasons GEJ went to China last week is to get a loan for the line to Abuja (and the Abuja metro).

1 Like

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by anonimi: 12:52pm On Jul 17, 2013
snthesis: will the tanker/trailer owners sit down and watch as food is removed from their tables undecided

the problem of Nigeria is not about developing infrastructure, it is about merging the interest group of the "Cabal" that are benefiting from the decaying/ lack of infrastructure.

That was how the railways was destroyed from the 1960s by trailer owners, mostly from the north. Its slow, gradual but steady revival by GEJ against the machinations of the cabal is really worthy of appreciation.

Nevertheless, I imagine that smart tanker/trailer owners will buy/rent freight coaches from the NRC and continue their haulage business non-stop but changing with the times. That is what successful businesses do, right

I hope GEJ has adequate plans for continuous maintenance of these revived railways. He must promote vocational schools and technical colleges through counterpart funding for LGAs and states ready to invest in such education rather than just universities churning out un-employable graduates.

3 Likes

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by anonimi: 12:53pm On Jul 17, 2013
livingday:

Real development goes beyond rehabilitation of railway which is our inheritance from colonial era. Nigeria should be ashamed that she has no functional railways and airways across the country, which poorer countries in Africa take for granted.

Abeg which POORER African countries are those?
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by naptu2: 12:59pm On Jul 17, 2013
anonimi:

That was how the railways was destroyed from the 1960s by trailer owners, mostly from the north. Its slow, gradual but steady revival by GEJ against the machinations of the cabal is really worthy of appreciation.

Nevertheless, I imagine that smart tanker/trailer owners will buy/rent freight coaches from the NRC and continue their haulage business non-stop but changing with the times. That is what successful businesses do, right

I hope GEJ has adequate plans for continuous maintenance of these revived railways. He must promote vocational schools and technical colleges through counterpart funding for LGAs and states ready to invest in such education rather than just universities churning out un-employable graduates.

1) You are perfectly right, the next step is to get road transporters (truck owners) involved in the rail business. It's just like the case of electricity, the smart diesel and generator importer will get involved in the generation and distribution chain when electricity is fully privatised.

2) Plants are already being set up to cater for the rail system (manufacturing, maintenance, etc). General Electric just set up a plant in Cross River State for this purpose and is partnering with NRC to rehabilitate their workshop at Ebute-Metta.

3 Likes

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by otokx(m): 1:00pm On Jul 17, 2013

Keep up with the lies,

I joined nairaland in 2005 by the way and the problem is not from any village, power supply in the UNIPORT area has actually decreased this 2013 compared to 2012.
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by anonimi: 1:00pm On Jul 17, 2013
naptu2:

It's true that it started during OBJ's era, but we must also give credit to GEJ for continuing with it.

OBJ started the NIPP project, Yar'Adua stopped it. Nigeria lost a lot because Yar'Adua stopped it. GEJ started it again and I'm very grateful for that.

The same way former Lagos state Action governor, Alhaji Lateef Jakande started Lagos metro line project before General Buhari overthrew everyone, locked him up and cancelled the project, even though money had been paid and work started.

Fashola is now struggling to actualise sometyhing similar after over 30 years of the first attempt being cancelled by the ethno-religious bigot.

1 Like

Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by ocelot2006(m): 1:32pm On Jul 17, 2013

Care to explain how this rail system (which btw will (1) decongest the ports (2) ease the pressure on our already strained road network (3) ensure the prompt delivery of goods to/from other geoplitical zones of the country (4) create more job oppourtunities) is a white elephant project? Go on..
Re: Evacuation Of Cargoes By Rail From Seaports Begins Soon by awodman: 1:36pm On Jul 17, 2013
@naptu you really educate me on this forum...waiting for you to post more...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sylva Opposes Report On Reclaimed 48 Houses / Keyamo: Buhari Supporters Motivated By Belief & Trust; PDP Supporters Are Money! / Ugwuanyi’s Bold Initiatives For Enugu City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.