Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. (52295 Views)

Brief History And Culture Of Babur/ Bura People. / The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State / Yoruba Origin Revisited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by amor4ce(m): 1:06pm On Aug 04, 2013
Tony Spike, I sent you an email. Did you get it?
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 6:31pm On Aug 04, 2013
tpia@:

that's interesting, is this Ado related to Egbado, not too familiar with the area.

the thing with ancient yoruba is the records are very deep and mostly hidden.

Yes, it is. but it helps that we see the Ado as the Ado invoke everywhere in Yorubaland. the reason is, it help us to trail the path of the ancestors from the north to Onitsha- Ado to Edo, Ado Ekiti, Akure Ado-Odo and to Lagos where he was seen as the first king of the island and so fort. the individual is the same, the people were so very industrious at that ancient time.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 04, 2013
Tony Spike:

There were three generations of Sumerian/Akkadian/Assyrian kings with the name SARGON: Sargon the Great (2334 BC-2279 BC), Sargon I or Sharru-Ken (1920 BC - 1881 BC) and Sargon II or Sarru-ukin (722 BC - 705BC). Of the three dynasties, I would place my bet on Sargon II as SANGO. This fits into the time frame of 'Iwo Eleru' you stated above. It was during the time of Sargon II's descendants that Nineveh (Ile-Ife ?) fell and was destroyed by the Babylonians. Nineveh was said to have housed a lot of Hebrews, from the Northern Kingdom of Israel, in captivity. It is said that near the time of the Assyrian kingdom's collapse, an alliance was struck with the Egyptian army. Unfortunately, the Assyrian and Egyptian armies were driven Southwards into Africa (Sudan?) In their fatal war with Babylon. Did you know that Asshur was the name of the country of the Assyrians? Today it is corrupted as HAUSA. The word Sarru-u-Kin (Sargon's other name) is a title in Hausaland today known as Sarkin (or Seriki in Yoruba).

Alagba Negro could give an extra hand to this Hausa side of history. Unfortunately, it is said that the Fulani jihads in the 18th century have suppressed a lot of Hausa history. This might have been the best clue we have to help us unravel some of Yoruba histories since Oyo Kingdom was proximate to theirs. Even at that, the Yoruba history is very rich with many clues even in city names e.g. Ile-Ife, Igboho, Igbo-ora, Ila-Oragun e.t.c.

I personally have a belief that our Yoruba ancestors might have had links with the famous religious cult of HORUS in Egypt because a lot of religious words in our language were developed from there (Ori, Oro, Ora, Oriki, Orisha e.t.c.). I'll stop here now, sir...

You are on the right part that Yoruba have links with all this places. i believe as much. but where i may digress is that we can not really seek deep into the more obscure to find out about the Yoruba history. i will like you to crosscheck this passage in the holy scripture:

"I will also appoint a place for My people Israel and will plant them, that they may live in their own place and not be disturbed again, nor will the wicked afflict them any more as formerly, —NASB

i think when the yoruba says Daodu, we agree to some extent that is has dto do with David. then he reigned almost at the time of the Iwo Eleru. granted. Daodu means Da[make] Odu[ oduduwa]. if our claims were right, Daoudu is the man who make Oduduwa. that is, we might be close to the players who authorised the foundation of Yoruba. i am given my own thesis for free here. i do not really know how long i will like to go. But you have everything i know already. nothing more to hide.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by TonySpike: 6:55pm On Aug 04, 2013
prexios:

You are on the right part that Yoruba have links with all this places. i believe as much. but where i may digress is that we can not really seek deep into the more obscure to find out about the Yoruba history. i will like you to crosscheck this passage in the holy scripture:

"I will also appoint a place for My people Israel and will plant them, that they may live in their own place and not be disturbed again, nor will the wicked afflict them any more as formerly, —NASB

i think when the yoruba says Daodu, we agree to some extent that is has dto do with David. then he reigned almost at the time of the Iwo Eleru. granted. Daodu means Da[make] Odu[ oduduwa]. if our claims were right, Daoudu is the man who make Oduduwa. that is, we might be close to the players who authorised the foundation of Yoruba. i am given my own thesis for free here. i do not really know how long i will like to go. But you have everything i know already. nothing more to hide.

David = Daud = Duat = Dud
This actually makes sense. I actually made this proposal in your "Jibiti - Egypt" thread but pyguru hid my three attempts to post and banned me. I consequently lost hope on posting that. You see, the Yoruba language has undergone lots of evolution. The pro-Nilotic influence on our language absorbed many words with Canaanite/Egyptian origin.
One way of unravelling some hidden words is by removing the preceding O or A letters. These letters (O and A) originated from our ancestors' stay in ancient Sudan (Nubia) as far back as almost 3000 yrs ago.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by tpia5: 7:11pm On Aug 04, 2013
prexios:

Yes, it is. but it helps that we see the Ado as the Ado invoke everywhere in Yorubaland. the reason is, it help us to trail the path of the ancestors from the north to Onitsha- Ado to Edo, Ado Ekiti, Akure Ado-Odo and to Lagos where he was seen as the first king of the island and so fort. the individual is the same, the people were so very industrious at that ancient time.

Is there an edo link with ado, as in is ado linked to what is now known today as edo.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by TonySpike: 7:24pm On Aug 04, 2013
tpia@:

Is there an edo link with ado, as in is ado linked to what is now known today as edo.

Ado-Ekiti, as well as many Ekiti towns, was a vassal territory of the Bini Kingdom for a long time. The Bini empire spread from Akoko to Owo and then some parts of Ekiti. I'm always fascinated to see the similarities in the style of singing and dancing of the Ekitis. It tells us that a lot of cultural assimilation of the Bini ways did occur.

Infact, I think Edo-Ondo-Ado was a name progression indicating the influence of the Bini kingdom in ancient times.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by tpia5: 7:26pm On Aug 04, 2013
^ the link i'm asking about precedes your frame of reference.

I know most people arent aware of any other context besides the one of bini expansion, because its a sensitive area and much offence is taken.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by PhysicsQED(m): 11:02pm On Aug 04, 2013
Tony Spike:

Ado-Ekiti, as well as many Ekiti towns, was a vassal territory of the Bini Kingdom for a long time. The Bini empire spread from Akoko to Owo and then some parts of Ekiti. I'm always fascinated to see the similarities in the style of singing and dancing of the Ekitis. It tells us that a lot of cultural assimilation of the Bini ways did occur.

Infact, I think Edo-Ondo-Ado was a name progression indicating the influence of the Bini kingdom in ancient times.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but I think I should comment on just this one thing. The 'Ado' in Ado-Ekiti is probably not a version of the name Edo (Bini). It probably has some other meaning in the Yoruba spoken in that area.

There is a claim of a connection with Benin in their traditions, but that connection isn't about Ado being founded as a territory of the Benin kingdom or anything. This claim of a slight connection with Benin is about an era before Benin's expansion into that area.

The name itself (Ado-Ekiti) probably preceded any Benin expansion into Ekiti. The book Kingdoms of the Yoruba by Robert Smith gives a short summary of the historical traditions of the people of Ado (as given by an indigenous historian of Ado) in part 1 of that book.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 05, 2013
PhysicsQED:

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but I think I should comment on just this one thing. The 'Ado' in Ado-Ekiti is probably not a version of the name Edo (Bini). It probably has some other meaning in the Yoruba spoken in that area.

There is a claim of a connection with Benin in their traditions, but that connection isn't about Ado being founded as a territory of the Benin kingdom or anything. This claim of a slight connection with Benin is about an era before Benin's expansion into that area.

The name itself (Ado-Ekiti) probably preceded any Benin expansion into Ekiti. The book Kingdoms of the Yoruba by Robert Smith gives a short summary of the historical traditions of the people of Ado (as given by an indigenous historian of Ado) in part 1 of that book.

Well, you have a dept of research.
Ado in all Yoruba tradition remains Ado, irrespective of what anyone of us think. Ado was an explorer of the ancient Yoruba who allocate places for people. Odu Ose, which treatise about Oba Ado gave us an excerpt he gave in celebration of his team thus:

Awa donile,
Aoku mo,
Awa dopitan ile.
Awa donile bi Ado,
Adigba Oke,
A legboingboin.

In this particular passage, ifa was speaking for his team member because he was their spokesperson [enu-owa: mouthpiece of the seekers]. "Aoku mo" means "we are no longer presumed dead." that is, they were involved in a deadly exploration of which their people thought they wont make it alive.

Then, coming to this point you see Akure, which speaks about aku-re [we shall die snap! meaning the notion that we shall die has snapped]the same notion is expressed in Ikare [iku-are:death will snap]. Now in my own community, when someone perplex you, the next thing you say is "wori-woku" [you then Add the phrase "orisha Ado," if you want to make complete statement].

If you isolate wori, you can stabilize it as iwori, that is a title of the origin of Ifa, given as "iwori-meji", if you however stabilize it with vowel sound 'A', you have Awori. Wori in old Yoruba is "view of discovery," woku is "view of death." since Ado was a mouthpiece for the search party of the ancient Yoruba settlers, he was saying that his team are in the exploration for discovery or for [their] destruction. That sort of perplex the settlers that the exploration has become a do or die affair (apology to OBJ)

Now when they came to the west coast, they changed their slogan, and that permeated place names along their path, hence he said "adigba oke" we have become 200 high-places, ale gboin-gboin, we are secured for certain. Ado is the same person in Yoruba history, if we seek deep, we find the secret, but if we stay at the surface we find common variants that is so speculative you do not know what to believe.

Back to Ado Ekiti, it simply mean that "Ado is no shaking", or "Ado wont get pushed". And if Ekiti is highland or okiti, it harmonized with the saying "adigba oke" Oke is anothe variant of okiti, as the Yoruba would say, okiti ogan-the ant hill.

Tony Spike:

"Ado-Ekiti, as well as many Ekiti towns, was a vassal territory of the Bini Kingdom for a long time. The Bini empire spread from Akoko to Owo and then some parts of Ekiti. I'm always fascinated to see the similarities in the style of singing and dancing of the Ekitis. It tells us that a lot of cultural assimilation of the Bini ways did occur.

Infact, I think Edo-Ondo-Ado was a name progression indicating the influence of the Bini kingdom in ancient times."

i concur, but with this

Ado is the one who says "Bini" that is, "Ibini" that is: "this is it!" or "here is the place." Benin may have been the explorers way of saying "eureka", we found it at at last. But the name does not change as the pilgrims progress.

Meanwhile, bini in Ifa is the curse or retributions that the priest of the Yoruba preferred against the leadership of the Yoruba for forsaking the fellowship of their brethren, it says "Oun tii bini a maa bini, ewo (the scroll, the law) asi berewo: what will query will query, the law will recompense.

It is not by accident then that Yoruba was divided into pieces too by the colonial authorities and countless dialects, inclusive of Ogu, where some missing links were trapped. the place also came to be called Benin republic. the ancient prophets who were annoyed with the Yoruba project sees the young men as breaking the law for their migration.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 05, 2013
Tony Spike:

This actually makes sense. I actually made this proposal in your "Jibiti - Egypt" thread but pyguru hid my three attempts to post and banned me. I consequently lost hope on posting that. You see, the Yoruba language has undergone lots of evolution. The pro-Nilotic influence on our language absorbed many words with Canaanite/Egyptian origin.
One way of unravelling some hidden words is by removing the preceding O or A letters. These letters (O and A) originated from our ancestors' stay in ancient Sudan (Nubia) as far back as almost 3000 yrs ago.

you are right. i do not want to give inconclussive information, thats the point im making when i felt like backing out. but then i do not want to overwhelm what each and everyone of us may come up with individually if we ended up seeing it from my perspective. but i do not have to take the story i have found with me to death, it is useful here.

I think people of the Arabia were conscious of Yoruba migration, it was a celebrated exit in that part of the world even if modern Yoruba were not particularly privy of this, and this got referenced in The Qur'an somehow.

It is not conjectural that we find Daodu to mean "Head of the family" in Yoruba colloquial. neither did the Yoruba excuse some bad aspect of their history as being aligned with iconic devil, the Yoruba did not hide the fact that they once rebel, and that is the clue you will find here:

"Those of the Children of Israel who went astray were cursed by the tongue of David, and of Jesus, son of Mary. That was because they rebelled and used to transgress."

Who were this people made reference to here? it will help you further in the solidification of what those who claim Hebrew origin for Yoruba may not have had but which is worth considering.

Gaerili mongdubi, alehim waladoli. Amin.

Mogdubi (Arabic)
mongudu (Yoruba)
mongudu: ikoko
ikoko: ika-oko
ika-oko: kaakiri-oko
kaakiri-oko: okiri-oko

(this is how to distill yoruba
mnemonics when you come about one in your path,
use it, never ignore where or what the information
is given you, as it is in the case of what ekiti could
mean apparently)

okiri-oko: wandering in the forest.
Laalu Okiri Oko: {Esu} "wealth of the city, wandering in the forest."
Going astray? that's the secret.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 05, 2013
tpia@:

the link is when the ancient yoruba were distributing people across the new found lands. Ado speaks about Igba oke, this were setlements they have gazetted when the piece was recorded. but it is unethical to say when the ancient Yoruba were distributing people, but when the ancestors were distributing people.

we are the Yoruba, not the ancestors, and seeing history in that perspective annoy other people who are near kin of the Yoruba. in Nigeria, all these people have common origin, never mind the language. you will always have refrence to their history in abundance in Yoruba. Burt expect that they will stretch their own thread and make out their variant of the story from their complex traditions.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by PhysicsQED(m): 1:42pm On Aug 05, 2013
prexios:

Well, you have a dept of research.
Ado in all Yoruba tradition remains Ado, irrespective of what anyone of us think. Ado was an explorer of the ancient Yoruba who allocate places for people. Odu Ose, which treatise about Oba Ado gave us an excerpt he gave in celebration of his team thus:

Awa donile,
Aoku mo,
Awa dopitan ile.
Awa donile bi Ado,
Adigba Oke,
A legboingboin.

In this particular passage, ifa was speaking for his team member because he was their spokesperson [enu-owa: mouthpiece of the seekers]. "Aoku mo" means "we are no longer presumed dead." that is, they were involved in a deadly exploration of which their people thought they wont make it alive.

Then, coming to this point you see Akure, which speaks about aku-re [we shall die snap! meaning the notion that we shall die has snapped]the same notion is expressed in Ikare [iku-are:death will snap]. Now in my own community, when someone perplex you, the next thing you say is "wori-woku" [you then Add the phrase "orisha Ado," if you want to make complete statement].

If you isolate wori, you can stabilize it as iwori, that is a title of the origin of Ifa, given as "iwori-meji", if you however stabilize it with vowel sound 'A', you have Awori. Wori in old Yoruba is "view of discovery," woku is "view of death." since Ado was a mouthpiece for the search party of the ancient Yoruba settlers, he was saying that his team are in the exploration for discovery or for [their] destruction. That sort of perplex the settlers that the exploration has become a do or die affair (apology to OBJ)

Now when they came to the west coast, they changed their slogan, and that permeated place names along their path, hence he said "adigba oke" we have become 200 high-places, ale gboin-gboin, we are secured for certain. Ado is the same person in Yoruba history, if we seek deep, we find the secret, but if we stay at the surface we find common variants that is so speculative you do not know what to believe.

Back to Ado Ekiti, it simply mean that "Ado is no shaking", or "Ado wont get pushed". And if Ekiti is highland or okiti, it harmonized with the saying "adigba oke" Oke is anothe variant of okiti, as the Yoruba would say, okiti ogan-the ant hill.

Tony Spike:

"Ado-Ekiti, as well as many Ekiti towns, was a vassal territory of the Bini Kingdom for a long time. The Bini empire spread from Akoko to Owo and then some parts of Ekiti. I'm always fascinated to see the similarities in the style of singing and dancing of the Ekitis. It tells us that a lot of cultural assimilation of the Bini ways did occur.

Infact, I think Edo-Ondo-Ado was a name progression indicating the influence of the Bini kingdom in ancient times."

i concur, but with this

Ado is the one who says "Bini" that is, "Ibini" that is: "this is it!" or "here is the place." Benin may have been the explorers way of saying "eureka", we found it at at last. But the name does not change as the pilgrims progress.

Meanwhile, bini in Ifa is the curse or retributions that the priest of the Yoruba preferred against the leadership of the Yoruba for forsaking the fellowship of their brethren, it says "Oun tii bini a maa bini, ewo (the scroll, the law) asi berewo: what will query will query, the law will recompense.

It is not by accident then that Yoruba was divided into pieces too by the colonial authorities and countless dialects, inclusive of Ogu, where some missing links were trapped. the place also came to be called Benin republic. the ancient prophets who were annoyed with the Yoruba project sees the young men as breaking the law for their migration.

The place called "Ado-Ekiti" is just the main town of Ado, which was a small kingdom in the Ekiti area in the past. The name of the actual place was just Ado. I think Ekiti in Ado-Ekiti is a qualifier to indicate location, not part of a phrase, but that's just my guess. Also, I think we were talking about different things. I was talking about a group/kingdom name, while you seem to be talking about a possibly mythological figure. While I haven't heard of this "Ado" figure that you believe existed, it is of course possible that he may have existed but is now long forgotten. Anyway, your post was interesting nevertheless.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 06, 2013
PhysicsQED:

The place called "Ado-Ekiti" is just the main town of Ado, which was a small kingdom in the Ekiti area in the past. The name of the actual place was just Ado. I think Ekiti in Ado-Ekiti is a qualifier to indicate location, not part of a phrase, but that's just my guess. Also, I think we were talking about different things.

i know i do digress often, no time to dress fact or edit: but in the future books i may be clearer.
Ekiti or Ado, i want you to know that it is not by accident that some words are associated with some words in Yoruba.
But if you feel it is the opposite, i quite agree, i do not need to overwhelm your perspective. i believe there is always more than one right answer to a question: the one i know and the one i don't know yet.

Ado may be one of the earliest Yoruba city states in that realm and it was founded by the same Ado that my community venerates. But as the fad is, Ado-Odo belongs to Awori jurisdiction, Ado Ekiti belongs to Ekiti jurisdiction. Ado is a function of Awori history, Ado is a function of Ekiti history. Ado is common to both. Ifa says thus:

osa welewele omi aye
Osa warawara omi okun,
Adia fun Oba Ado,
ejigbara leke,

Nijo tii ree bawon mule ibudo,
won nio kaki mole o jare,
ebo ni ko se.

Ogbo riru ebo, oruu
o gberu atu kesu o tuu
ogbo tiharara, ebo ha fun-un,

o bere isnni yin awon awo re,
oni, awa donile, aokumo....

In my community, it is considered sacrilege to bring horse in to the town, i learn the same applies to Ado (ekiti) when an incidence involving former gov. Fayose and the wandering horse.

PhysicsQED:

I was talking about a group/kingdom name, while you seem to be talking about a possibly mythological figure. While I haven't heard of this "Ado" figure that you believe existed, it is of course possible that he may have existed but is now long forgotten. Anyway, your post was interesting nevertheless.

I can not use my "intellectual limits" to limit Yoruba history, that's why i buy into the expansive, encompassing Yoruba ideas, and it helps seeing things for me in Yoruba stuffs. I want to agree with fact that if the Yoruba tradition mention someone as Oba Ado, that Oba Ado exist, he is not a mythical figure. he has his institution that survive, hence his name did survive till our time.

We are not working on Yoruba history as pure myth because it is oral tradition, we are working on details of information that is oral but encrypted script, and if you haven't seen it that way, you will take it for a myth.
I take Yoruba "myths" as precious encrypted script. that's all we have to wrought the details, and if we belittle it, it is not because it is bunch of useless myths, it is because we have limited insight on its veracity.

If Yoruba tradition talk about facts long forgotten, who is at fault when the fact is doubted? We know all about others, but doubt that which is our own. i do not intend to offend you anyway, but i want you to be pragmatic and feel secure on what oral tradition struggles to say even if it is weak.

We are often skeptic about our records and fight dirty to proof other foreign mysteries as omnipotent. if Homer is real and Paris is real, Achilles is real and Ado is real, forget that they [Yoruba icons] were late comers. they've been around but we are "too educated" to talk about them, so we can buy what educated people say about them and fight to proof the educated whites right as how the stories should be told.

I can't rely on enlightened "den say" when it's all endless repetition of "who is who in Yoruba ancient history" as defined few decades ago by those whose account must take pre-eminence over other communities that may have bit and pieces to add for the record to measure up to standard Yoruba history.

Also, I don't have the L3000 bond, can't go to England to learn "well researched or refined Yoruba history" and bring it back to my village as Yoruba history that is better than the idle folktales in my village o jareh!
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by PhysicsQED(m): 2:31pm On Aug 06, 2013
I was saying that Ekiti in "Ado-Ekiti" probably indicates location, rather than completing a phrase - the same way that "Odo" in Ado-Odo probably refers to the river 'Odo' (a.k.a. the river Yewa). I wasn't saying the association of the two words was 'by accident.' But I did say that that was my guess - your own theory about 'Ado' could be true instead.

As for the person Ado, the intended meaning of 'Oba Ado' does strike me as ambiguous, but if one takes it to mean what you take it to mean, then I just said that he is possibly mythological - not that he probably or most likely was mythological. I also said that it's possible that he was real but is now long forgotten. So I wasn't making a declaration either way about what is "fact" vs. what is "myth." All history is a mixture of both.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 06, 2013
PhysicsQED: I was saying that Ekiti in "Ado-Ekiti" probably indicates location, rather than completing a phrase - the same way that "Odo" in Ado-Odo probably refers to the river 'Odo' (a.k.a. the river Yewa). I wasn't saying the association of the two words was 'by accident.' But I did say that that was my guess - your own theory about 'Ado' could be true instead.

As for the person Ado, the intended meaning of 'Oba Ado' does strike me as ambiguous, but if one takes it to mean what you take it to mean, then I just said that he is possibly mythological - not that he probably or most likely was mythological. I also said that it's possible that he was real but is now long forgotten. So I wasn't making a declaration either way about what is "fact" vs. what is "myth." All history is a mixture of both.

That's what i am saying too.

Let's say by mistake you say Ado Odo or Ado Yewa, like it or not, its already intrinsically laid in history. Ado is Ado Odo, Ado is a variant of Odo. the two words have something to do with -do, which the Yoruba have for settler or sexy, as the variant Edo with the Nnewi and Edo people. People of old choose which of the five vowels to stabilize their verbs at random.

It is true that at the onset of time, Ado is called ado-ife, but today it is Ado Odo, with river Yewa being the Odo in this attache. But Yewa [our matriarch] is the name of Osun, as it is said "iyewa taa pe nimo." Yewa was a contemporary of Ado. If Ado was given us as Ado yewa, no historical mistake, Ado connects with Yewa historically.

Yoruba so create preciosity that all her word-combinations create historical rhymes, that will always makes it so easy to re-assemble Yoruba history, any day, any time. You can even go outside yoruba to neighbouring culture to ferret some facts.

Let's borrow the phrase Nnewi. Nnewi have their ancestral tradition of a beautiful woman called Edo. we need the term Nnewi: It means mother (Igbo)+Ewi (Yoruba). Now let's assume this Nnewi's Edo to be female version of Ado, or that Edo is the mother of Ado. Ewi means chanter or speaker, and that is the title of the monarch of Ado ekiti. Nnewi therefore means mother of the Ewi or queenmother. then the queen mother is Edo.

But to the Igbos, Ewi means grass-cuter (okete). In Yoruba, Okete is the totem of the Owo people, it is their "father". Now remember the Yoruba song about Okete and Ifa. Okete sever relationship with ifa at some point. find out what happen between Olowo and Ifa or Orunmila. what this mean is, as people changes parties now and people have headaches as a result, it happens to the ancients as well. then the ancient were real people, not fiction. the severance was then a "war of brothers." this led to the invention of Ifa, or the Ascension of Orunmila or Agbonmiregun.

This shows that some facts have heavy back up, and all we have now is a tip of an iceberg, it takes a lot of traditions to be wrong for this polemic devices of the ancients to be wrong. i agree with you that most of these heroes are forgotten, it seems so, but the truth is, they were known by other names.

For instance, Ado was known as Ifa or Orunmila. if i put it this way, we would end up arguing about it immediately, but it is easy to present it from the best perspective of 'new discovery' till we arrive at that point where it all agrees with data at hand. i don't think Ifa or Orunmila is a fictitious or imaginary character. i don't enjoy agnostic or standing-aloof with a long pole to treat what you are interested in.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by tpia5: 2:50am On Aug 07, 2013
^seriously, your posts are rather deep, i dont even know what to say.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 6:56am On Aug 07, 2013
Very deep and insightful contributions. I am loving it. wink

There is a lot in here to provoke the brain. cheesy On the topic of Ado and all its variants, I made an observation. The letter D seem to me, at its minimal, to be an anchor or interface between two forces. Consider the Yoruba root sounds DA, DI, DE, DO, DU. Also AD, ID, ED, OD, UD.

Here D acts as a bridge interfacing the authority of creation with the functional manifest and producing a sense of FOUNDING, ORIGIN, FIRST-TO-BE, SETTLEMENT, ORDER and so on.

Ada
Adi
Ade
Ado
Adu
Ida
Idi
Ide
Ido
Idu
Eda
Edi
Ede
Edo
Edu
Oda
Odi
Ode
Odo
Odu
Uda
Udi
Ude
Udo
Udu.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by TonySpike: 7:55am On Aug 07, 2013
MetaPhysical: Very deep and insightful contributions. I am loving it. wink

There is a lot in here to provoke the brain. cheesy On the topic of Ado and all its variants, I made an observation. The letter D seem to me, at its minimal, to be an anchor or interface between two forces. Consider the Yoruba root sounds DA, DI, DE, DO, DU. Also AD, ID, ED, OD, UD.

Here D acts as a bridge interfacing the authority of creation with the functional manifest and producing a sense of FOUNDING, ORIGIN, FIRST-TO-BE, SETTLEMENT, ORDER and so on.

Ada
Adi
Ade
Ado
Adu
Ida
Idi
Ide
Ido
Idu
Eda
Edi
Ede
Edo
Edu
Oda
Odi
Ode
Odo
Odu
Uda
Udi
Ude
Udo
Udu.

This must be Chief Negro. That reminds me of "Eredo" which could have been a variant of "Eridu". I once read a write-up from Amor4ce on Bini, Idu and Edom which spurred me to do a some research. The Edomite people are the descendants of Esau from the Bible. Their traditional land in ancient times was South-East of Israel. A recent research postulated that they were a prominent part of the Hyksos Egyptian ruling family, alongside their brothers, the Hebrews. As the History goes, the Hyksos were later expelled by Egyptian Nationalists around 1580 BC. I found out that the Edomite people later occupied areas around the Aegean sea or Idumea during the Greek/Roman era. So they could be Edo or Idu and interestingly, Ai (from Ae). The word Ai is very popular around Edo-Ondo axis too, we have names like Aina, Aigbokhan e.t.c It is said that the Edomites intermarried with the ancient explorers called the Ainu (Ai-nu) peoples, whose people migrated to present day JAPAN.

Quite sorry about the derailment. But why am I saying all this? If I should follow the discussions here so far, it appears the "Ado/Edo" phenomenon emerged from the Eastern part of Yorubaland before it permeated other areas. I want to believe that Ado wasn't just a person, but a group of prominent migrants, that brought a flourishing culture with them. Their influence must have had a localising point of initialisation somewhere around Edo/Ondo axis - before it spread out into Yorubaland. Somehow, I suspect these people were responsible for the sheer accuracy obtained in dating the Bini kingship timeline...

With these insights, it does appear that Yorubaland must have witnessed several parallel migrations along the historical timeline. My main questions are these, What period can we place the Ado/Edo influence? Could it be pre 1 AD or post 1 AD? Answers please...
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by TonySpike: 8:08am On Aug 07, 2013
@ prexios, you might find it queer that I always attack my curiosity using timelines, locations and names. I am not exactly too well-grounded in the Yoruba ancient traditions, so I tend to look at external influencing factors within my grasp.

Has anyone here ever taken a look at Egyptian kingship timelines though? There is a strong possibility that the ancient Egyptians led several expeditions into West Africa. Interestingily, most of these expeditions must have been influential to some of the mystical names we are trying to unravel.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by amor4ce(m): 9:51am On Aug 07, 2013
Tony Spike, I forwarded an email about those word comparisons to the email address that you listed. Did you get it?
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by amor4ce(m): 9:54am On Aug 07, 2013
tpia@:
Phew...i was starting to wonder if my brain was acting up.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 07, 2013

Ada
Adi
Ade
Ado
Adu
Ida
Idi
Ide
Ido
Idu
Eda
Edi
Ede
Edo
Edu
Oda
Odi
Ode
Odo
Odu
Uda
Udi
Ude
Udo
Udu.

If i have it sorted-out this way long ago, i would have covered much ground, you are close to creating a "periodic table" for Yoruba scholars. It is a scientific observation, the Yoruba tradition is susceptible to scientific adaptations. my love for chemistry in secondary school was the root of my curiosity for possible meaning of Yoruba words "IUPAC NOMENCLATURE".

"Tetraoxosulphate", "trioxosulphate", "bonding", "covalent bonding", "dative covalent bonding", "electrovalent bonding" and so on. (The Yoruba forms bonding with every word of historical reckoning and in peoples names.) then i was angry because all the names of our S.S. subject comes with Greek words, i said why is it that none comes with Yoruba word? then i said if none comes with Yoruba word, i will make up for it by any means. i was looking for something i dont understand. then all this that i collected and processed make up for it.

As to the above list,

...the next thing is, how will the reader read it? the reader should find "companion tradition" to these words and match them. its like the periodic table formula to Yoruba history, even it seems confusing initially, you will still find the focus no matter what your initial idea points at. It can be useful.

The job of the scholar is to particularize the little, insignificant detail. you don't know where to start? Start matching old terms in these order and describe what you are getting, then your resource grows. it might take time, it may sound silly (people laugh to scorn when I first started peddling some of what i now share) but it will still be useful. it might be difficult to grab at first. i gave up everything to learn this stuff.

Sometimes, you will change from surreal perspectives when you come about another idea that is so very stable, at a point, you will be very sure of what you are saying and it would seems like 'out of this world.'that's a compensation feeling. You must read historical books anyway, but do not match as soon as you can, somebody will say you are trying to spot your tradition with the civilized world. Why not spot or match from the list above and grow your local collections? You must read or listen to Yoruba traditional, cultural songs and keep sharp memory. spy others.

What we are doing here is deeper than what any "secret society" can fathom, and we all contribute something that begot something, no one has traveled on this path before on this subject. the thing is, where we are is the road not taken, what you have should inspire you. keep it and scrutinize it, that's how it got to us in the first place, am downloading what i have stored up in my memory so i can free some space for a sigh of relieve.

...even if one should die, someone can find a keyword to continue from where we are now. our father went with a lot laid on their mind, it was useless when they died, but they also left us with a lot, which came to us in form of duplicates.

meanwhile, i would be very happy if this is elder Negro. even if we disagree, it is for our own good and the good of all of us that we have the courage to contribute, no matter how its taken by the one galvanizing a thread. what each of us have is enough to add to the growth of all of us directly or indirectly.

I am saluting the intelligence of all of my discussants for not buying what i say outright. That is being an educated discussants. I know tpia wont hide his thrill. He is younger. I am striving to win in an argument on my thread, so don't be easy on me in anyway. spot my error. i have my weakness and mistakes posting.

Anyway, I am willing to push you to find out more and see what you may be missing for keeping your Yoruba vocabulary lean when it is what you really love.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by TonySpike: 9:57am On Aug 07, 2013
amor4ce: Tony Spike, I forwarded an email about those word comparisons to the email address that you listed. Did you get it?

Quite sorry, I did get it. I initially couldn't locate it because it came in as a spam mail. I did a little skimming through already but the words appear Bantu-like. I'll do a proper survey on it later this week. Thanks a lot!
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 10:23am On Aug 07, 2013
tpia@:

you have just said something. the thing is, take note. It is to tell you how sophisticated the Yoruba oral history is. If you keep trailing it, you will end up with enlightenment in History and linguistics. Even if there is no faculty of Yoruba linguistics in institutions as of now, hunting for more sophisticated words or traditions available around you will add to the collections we would have in time to come.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 07, 2013
Tony Spike:

Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 7:12am On Aug 08, 2013
Thank you guys for your responses.

I have a picture in my mind, of a matrix! This matrix can feature in the following formats:
-------------------------------
A
---
1. Audible sound, as in "ra"
2. Inaudible sound, as in "r"

Where "r" is infinitely undefined, emanating as an energy and having the defined properties of "ra", "re", "ri", "ro", "ru", and their higher attachments, ati bebe lo...
--------------------------------
B
---
1. Visible light, as in "yi"
2. Invisible light, as in "y"

Its properties will be "ya", "ye", "yi", "yo", "yu", ati bebe lo...

Imagine that these properties can be calibrated.

Therefore, the effect of facing Eastward and chanting ya, ya, ya....a thousand times produces a particular spectrum of visible light.

When you face Westward and chant ya, ya, ya...a thousand times you get a different spectrum.

You can do these for North facing and South facing and tabulate the results.

For sound properties, you stand in a stream, lake, river, sea or even ocean, and chant ra, ra, ra...thousand times.

Build a fire and as it sparks and crackles, chant ra....thousand times.

Sit in the forest or on a mountain and chant ra...thousand times.

Stand in the wind and chant ra...thousand times.

At the end of these practices you would begin to uncover the Yoruba crypt and the esoteric meanings behind words such as Ado, Idu, Edu, Odu, and so on and so forth and the science our ancestors applied in locating cities and shrines on the axis of earth's magnetic lines.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 08, 2013
MetaPhysical: Thank you guys for your responses.

I have a picture in my mind, of a matrix! This matrix can feature in the following formats:
-------------------------------
A
---
1. Audible sound, as in "ra"
2. Inaudible sound, as in "r"

Where "r" is infinitely undefined, emanating as an energy and having the defined properties of "ra", "re", "ri", "ro", "ru", and their higher attachments, ati bebe lo...
B
---
1. Visible light, as in "yi"
2. Invisible light, as in "y"

Its properties will be "ya", "ye", "yi", "yo", "yu", ati bebe lo...

Imagine that these properties can be calibrated.

Therefore, the effect of facing Eastward and chanting ya, ya, ya....a thousand times produces a particular spectrum of visible light.

When you face Westward and chant ya, ya, ya...a thousand times you get a different spectrum.

You can do these for North facing and South facing and tabulate the results.

For sound properties, you stand in a stream, lake, river, sea or even ocean, and chant ra, ra, ra...thousand times.

Build a fire and as it sparks and crackles, chant ra....thousand times.

Sit in the forest or on a mountain and chant ra...thousand times.

Stand in the wind and chant ra...thousand times.

At the end of these practices you would begin to uncover the Yoruba crypt and the esoteric meanings behind words such as Ado, Idu, Edu, Odu, and so on and so forth and the science our ancestors applied in locating cities and shrines on the axis of earth's magnetic lines.

Well i know as the source of this thought or idea, this might be very easy and the result spontaneous for you. But what do you think could be the repercussion for someone less virtuous in this esoteric respect that might get hook to this imagination from the face value of it? You don't know. It is the same beloved illumination that destroy the ant.

If i must do what you told me, i will end up with Eckankar or something else. "he that love gold will not be satisfied with gold" i will start looking for "what i don't know, and what i don't know will know me, yet in time, i wont know anything anymore, even what i know will be taken away from me" i will start well and end in the well. i will be deluded. i know my frame, i know what i am doing.

While i do not believe in esoteric secrets other than open secrets such as readily available Odu-ifa, oriki and insight from peoples names, I do go a long way to exercise care and patience for the sake of other individuals that may not be presently as deep in interpreting oral tradition as i am.

My talent that i have engaged this far is "discerning spirit" or "gift of word interpretations". i engage Yoruba and English vocabularies, and it worked. if it worked for me, it can work for anyone that can exercise patience. genius is eternal patience. wanting it now from supernatural is engaging the wrong formula. i don't like short cut, ready made answers from any source. it is escapology.

My dept of tradition is not because i am an occultist. I AM NOT. my angle is historical on Yoruba oral traditions. Yoruba traditions are not occultist traditions, but it may have been hijacked by practices that points to occult. the practitioners are Yoruba anyway. i am a bona fide traditional scholar born, i am from the house that should be interested in Yoruba tradition.

I wont go esoteric to get information, i will sleep and wake up fresh sometimes and my mind will just remember a Yoruba word, then i will interpret it in ENGLISH. once i am convince i have entertain all possible shades of such words without bias to any shade, i assume it as fact.

Yes, it may be bias writing Yoruba history with a long pole, out of tradition. But it is as bias as this writing Yoruba history as vanguard of the occult. Esoteric? No. If you ponder deep enough, you will find all you need with your God given angel.

Do not end in secret society because of your talent, whereby you will have to nurse conscientious issues and justify that as having power. i don't want strange power. my life is precious enough to me and am grateful to The Giver, i want to use my life to add light to dark areas, not to take children of God into the dark and keep them there as undercover priest.

I am not going to lead anyone astray.

Jeremiah 15:19 NLT

New Living Translation

The LORD replied, "If you return to me, I will restore you so you can continue to serve me. If you speak words that are worthy, you will be my spokesman. You are to influence them; do not let them influence you!
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by amor4ce(m): 1:28pm On Aug 08, 2013

Ada
Adi
Ade
Ado
Adu
Ida
Idi
Ide
Ido
Idu
Eda
Edi
Ede
Edo
Edu
Oda
Odi
Ode
Odo
Odu
Uda
Udi
Ude
Udo
Udu.
i think it is best to start from here as a sort of nairaland collaborative project with the aim of producing an encyclopaedic dictionary of yoruba monosyllables and associated vowel prefixes aka stabilizers . i have been wondering if there is any such book with which i could learn the language better. from there the deep aspects of the monosyllables will be revealed to the learner as the oluwa deems fit and ready.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by amor4ce(m): 1:32pm On Aug 08, 2013
Does "ya" also have anything to do with "intervention"?
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 2:19pm On Aug 08, 2013
amor4ce: i think it is best to start from here as a sort of nairaland collaborative project with the aim of producing an encyclopaedic dictionary of yoruba monosyllables and associated vowel prefixes aka stabilizers . i have been wondering if there is any such book with which i could learn the language better. from there the deep aspects of the monosyllables will be revealed to the learner as the oluwa deems fit and ready.

I thought as much.
It is best to give people our best without overwhelming them with intellectual "hard stuff" that is easy for some of us. That's like introducing "intellectual cocaine." But intellectual collaborative research will have far reaching, beneficial effect on all of us than when we start turning spiritual.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 08, 2013
amor4ce: Does "ya" also have anything to do with "intervention"?

well as for me, i will stick to the shades that has survived over the ages as the best option, its less important to make a word do a whole lot of things, like humpty-dumpty and verbs in Alice in wonderland.

Oyela is what Yoruba traditionalists uses when they want to see things.
"Oye La" is like "let there be light" where "Oye" is misty cloud and "la" implies "give way"

Oye could also be short for oyeku. Oyeku is duplicate for "Aokumo" or Ifa. Oyeku is an alias for ifa which means
"one who cause death to miss out"

Maybe Oyela is contraption of Oyeku and Orunmila combined. One being prefix and the other suffix.
this may have magical result for them, but it point to the fact that it's some sort of intellectual exercise.

New Living Translation

The LORD replied, "If you return to me, I will restore you so you can continue to serve me. If you speak words that are worthy, you will be my spokesman. You are to influence them; do not let them influence you!
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 3:11am On Aug 09, 2013
prexios:

Well i know as the source of this thought or idea, this might be very easy and the result spontaneous for you. But what do you think could be the repercussion for someone less virtuous in this esoteric respect that might get hook to this imagination from the face value of it? You don't know. It is the same beloved illumination that destroy the ant.

If i must do what you told me, i will end up with Eckankar or something else. "he that love gold will not be satisfied with gold" i will start looking for "what i don't know, and what i don't know will know me, yet in time, i wont know anything anymore, even what i know will be taken away from me" i will start well and end in the well. i will be deluded. i know my frame, i know what i am doing.

While i do not believe in esoteric secrets other than open secrets such as readily available Odu-ifa, oriki and insight from peoples names, I do go a long way to exercise care and patience for the sake of other individuals that may not be presently as deep in interpreting oral tradition as i am.

My talent that i have engaged this far is "discerning spirit" or "gift of word interpretations". i engage Yoruba and English vocabularies, and it worked. if it worked for me, it can work for anyone that can exercise patience. genius is eternal patience. wanting it now from supernatural is engaging the wrong formula. i don't like short cut, ready made answers from any source. it is escapology.

My dept of tradition is not because i am an occultist. I AM NOT. my angle is historical on Yoruba oral traditions. Yoruba traditions are not occultist traditions, but it may have been hijacked by practices that points to occult. the practitioners are Yoruba anyway. i am a bona fide traditional scholar born, i am from the house that should be interested in Yoruba tradition.

I wont go esoteric to get information, i will sleep and wake up fresh sometimes and my mind will just remember a Yoruba word, then i will interpret it in ENGLISH. once i am convince i have entertain all possible shades of such words without bias to any shade, i assume it as fact.

Yes, it may be bias writing Yoruba history with a long pole, out of tradition. But it is as bias as this writing Yoruba history as vanguard of the occult. Esoteric? No. If you ponder deep enough, you will find all you need with your God given angel.

Do not end in secret society because of your talent, whereby you will have to nurse conscientious issues and justify that as having power. i don't want strange power. my life is precious enough to me and am grateful to The Giver, i want to use my life to add light to dark areas, not to take children of God into the dark and keep them there as undercover priest.

I am not going to lead anyone astray.

New Living Translation

Hey brother, i hear you. That reaponse was not meant to instruct, it is not a script for anyone to practice. However, if anyone would have the audacity to make attempt, the seeds needed to invoke the elements are missing and very unlikely anyone could obtain them who does not have the knowledge. This was meant to be a sneakpeek along the line of discussion into the mysteries of the sounds, words and root letters under discussiin, nothing more.

Given what im reading from you, in consideration of your depth and insight of Yoruba knowledge, im shocked to hear you say Yoruba is not esoteric. Whatt!!!

Even Old testament is filled with esoterism, and no doubt many of what we are discussing have their roots there.

Please do not take responses personal, we are all sharing.

None of the Ado townships in Yorubaland is located arbitrarily and without forethought, thrre is a commonality. What is their commonality?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Oore Of Mobaland: Only Person Who's Qualified To Break The News Of Ooni's Death / (pictures) When Last Did You Make Use Of This? / Ladi Kwali:The Woman on The N20 Note

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.