Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,160 members, 7,953,610 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:37 PM

Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. (54265 Views)

Brief History And Culture Of Babur/ Bura People. / The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State / Yoruba Origin Revisited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 3:17am On Aug 09, 2013
amor4ce: i think it is best to start from here as a sort of nairaland collaborative project with the aim of producing an encyclopaedic dictionary of yoruba monosyllables and associated vowel prefixes aka stabilizers . i have been wondering if there is any such book with which i could learn the language better. from there the deep aspects of the monosyllables will be revealed to the learner as the oluwa deems fit and ready.

I agree.

Can we take this discussions offline? Does anyone disagree?
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by amor4ce(m): 3:04pm On Aug 09, 2013
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 09, 2013
MetaPhysical:

Hey brother, i hear you. That reaponse was not meant to instruct, it is not a script for anyone to practice. However, if anyone would have the audacity to make attempt, the seeds needed to invoke the elements are missing and very unlikely anyone could obtain them who does not have the knowledge. This was meant to be a sneakpeek along the line of discussion into the mysteries of the sounds, words and root letters under discussiin, nothing more.

Given what im reading from you, in consideration of your depth and insight of Yoruba knowledge, im shocked to hear you say Yoruba is not esoteric. Whatt!!!

Even Old testament is filled with esoterism, and no doubt many of what we are discussing have their roots there.

Please do not take responses personal, we are all sharing.

None of the Ado townships in Yorubaland is located arbitrarily and without forethought, thrre is a commonality. What is their commonality?

Well i have my weakness anyway, and that also is my strength in this respect, maybe i took it personal. but men, i am not esoteric and i wont be. I am a messenger, I think it is easy to kill the messenger, his message will get him killed first.

If God had wanted a temperament that delves in esoteric to handle this aspect of Yoruba, he would have countless candidates. He that God want God chooses. "eni olorun fe lolorun yan". We all have our gifts and this is how i function and will rightly encourage my audience. i preach what i practice.

Pardon me if i embarrass you or something, its not out of outright indignation, but it is my leadership responsibility as a host on this thread. i have to protect it from being hijacked by free radicals with overt intentions.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 09, 2013
amor4ce: I got f9 in yoruba (ssce) someone else should start, perhaps with a thread to notify interested Oodua Nairalanders. From there the format can be discussed before taking the project online. Getting all possible monosyllables and stabilizers is easy. It can even be compared to the derivation of all the odus of ifa. Perhaps each consonant, monosyllable, and monosyllable + prefix stabilizer can be treated like an odu/chamber.

God will always bring people of like minds together for common purpose. but that does not mean they will always agree to one purpose. i will be willing to render little that i can as well, especially how to go about interpreting with the tool i once listed in the past as my aid.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 09, 2013
Tony Spike: @ prexios, you might find it queer that I always attack my curiosity using timelines, locations and names. I am not exactly too well-grounded in the Yoruba ancient traditions, so I tend to look at external influencing factors within my grasp.

Has anyone here ever taken a look at Egyptian kingship timelines though? There is a strong possibility that the ancient Egyptians led several expeditions into West Africa. Interestingily, most of these expeditions must have been influential to some of the mystical names we are trying to unravel.

hello tony spike,

i understand your dilemma, its normal to make such conclusions, then it will help archeology and history when argument develop around such hypothesis, we have to make some far reaching attempts or suggestions and see if our traditions can confirm or verify it.

As to the sargon hypothesis, i believe that the Yoruba have traditional language that rhymes with Sargon as an interpretation, meaning, "the king is worthy".The expression that fit this in Yoruba is egun. Egun means "he worth".

Remember egun is connected with "agon". all you need now is an "S" to make it Sargon. i am only joking, but if it does not connect, don't force it. meanwhile, Sagon is like Yagon. it means "to be barren" or "being barren" in this respect, we collect local accessories to form the word. call it Aroba.

Sargon describes Sango as was ifa on Obara, of whom was said "Oya gan, oya 'pata, o romo leyin ediye o bu pere sekun" Sango was among the leaders of the ancient Yoruba migrant. there are duplicate traditions, so it is not easy to take one away when the free duplicates are idle and not corroborating or corroborated.

As to the Hausa being Assyria, maybe. But consider this: how does Hausa occur in Yoruba traditionally? You have it either as ausa or Alausa. Alausa means "the pursuant of those that retreat" ausa in Yoruba is "A wu Sa". hard to interpret?

What does Yoruba call Ausa? Asala. (chestnut) that's a mnemonic. Asala is "flight of survival." use that on ausa. What a lovely flight!Someone connects with that flight in Yoruba antiquity, namely "Osun Oshogbo Oroki asala."

i think that the Hausa says then that the Yoruba were Yoruba. What relationship does this have with Bariba? anyway, i think Yari in Yoruba is to disagree. did the Yoruba disagree with their king just as were the hausa in their tradition?
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 09, 2013
MetaPhysical:

I agree.

Can we take this discussions offline? Does anyone disagree?

the rule of the thumb should be that you make substantial contributions to this topic and related issues first, then seek the others that have been discussants on this thread and others who have made tremendous contributions in the past, if you want to make something worthwhile of this. We may be faceless, but we all are coming from somewhere. Aren't we going somewhere?
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by TonySpike: 10:45pm On Aug 09, 2013
prexios:

hello tony spike,

i understand your dilemma, its normal to make such conclusions, then it will help archeology and history when argument develop around such hypothesis, we have to make some far reaching attempts or suggestions and see if our traditions can confirm or verify it.

As to the sargon hypothesis, i believe that the Yoruba have traditional language that rhymes with Sargon as an interpretation, meaning, "the king is worthy".The expression that fit this in Yoruba is egun. Egun means "he worth".

Remember egun is connected with "agon". all you need now is an "S" to make it Sargon. i am only joking, but if it does not connect, don't force it. meanwhile, Sagon is like Yagon. it means "to be barren" or "being barren" in this respect, we collect local accessories to form the word. call it Aroba.

Sargon describes Sango as was ifa on Obara, of whom was said "Oya gan, oya 'pata, o romo leyin ediye o bu pere sekun" Sango was among the leaders of the ancient Yoruba migrant. there are duplicate traditions, so it is not easy to take one away when the free duplicates are idle and not corroborating or corroborated.

As to the Hausa being Assyria, maybe. But consider this: how does Hausa occur in Yoruba traditionally? You have it either as ausa or Alausa. Alausa means "the pursuant of those that retreat" ausa in Yoruba is "A wu Sa". hard to interpret?

What does Yoruba call Ausa? Asala. (chestnut) that's a mnemonic. Asala is "flight of survival." use that on ausa. What a lovely flight!Someone connects with that flight in Yoruba antiquity, namely "Osun Oshogbo Oroki asala."

i think that the Hausa says then that the Yoruba were Yoruba. What relationship does this have with Bariba? anyway, i think Yari in Yoruba is to disagree. did the Yoruba disagree with their king just as were the hausa in their tradition?

Prexios, have you read the most recent paper of the historian, Dierk Lange, baring his opinion on the Yoruba origin and migrations? It is lengthy and well-researched. I would like you to give it a look and tell me your opinion. I personally think his approach of making comparatives is exceptional. This approach for example has been used to synchronise the time-lines between distant but related cultures. In our case, the Oyo kingship time-line seems undated before 1728. This may qualify Sango as a mythical figure, than a realistic one.

Here's the link
http://dierklange.com/pdf/LOST_TRIBES_OF_ISRAEL.pdf
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 7:59am On Aug 10, 2013
prexios:

Well i have my weakness anyway, and that also is my strength in this respect, maybe i took it personal. but men, i am not esoteric and i wont be. I am a messenger, I think it is easy to kill the messenger, his message will get him killed first.

If God had wanted a temperament that delves in esoteric to handle this aspect of Yoruba, he would have countless candidates. He that God want God chooses. "eni olorun fe lolorun yan". We all have our gifts and this is how i function and will rightly encourage my audience. i preach what i practice.

Pardon me if i embarrass you or something, its not out of outright indignation, but it is my leadership responsibility as a host on this thread. i have to protect it from being hijacked by free radicals with overt intentions.

Lol.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 8:25pm On Aug 10, 2013
Tony Spike:

Prexios, have you read the most recent paper of the historian, Dierk Lange, baring his opinion on the Yoruba origin and migrations? It is lengthy and well-researched. I would like you to give it a look and tell me your opinion. I personally think his approach of making comparatives is exceptional. This approach for example has been used to synchronise the time-lines between distant but related cultures. In our case, the Oyo kingship time-line seems undated before 1728. This may qualify Sango as a mythical figure, than a realistic one.

Here's the link
http://dierklange.com/pdf/LOST_TRIBES_OF_ISRAEL.pdf
According to the version of the tradition
recorded by the Yoruba scholar Samuel Johnson
in 1895, the ancestral Yoruba lived in Mecca
and their king was Nimrod. Braima, i.e., Abraham,
instigated a revolt against the polytheistic regime of
Nimrod in the course of which Nimrod was killed.
Thereupon Oduduwa, the son of Nimrod, fled with
his followers and the idols to Africa and left en
route some kindred people such as the Kanuri of
Kanem-Bornu and the people of the Hausa kingdoms
of Gobir. He settled with his people in Yorubaland,
where he founded the holy city of Ile Ifẹ
(Johnson 1921: 3 – 5). Details of the story show evidence
of extensive borrowing from Arabic sources
(al-T
˙
abarī 1989: 49 – 61; al-Kisā’ī 1978: 136 – 150).
However, under the layer of the interpretative Arab
story we find some elements of an authentic tradition:
though not necessarily in Mecca, the ancestors
of the Yoruba once lived in the Near East; called by
the biblical name Nimrod, their ancestral king was
killed in the course of a popular uprising; his son
Oduduwa fled with many people, some of whom
settled en route to later Yorubaland. Considering the
traditions of people on the possible route of migration
between Syria-Palestine, Darfur, and the region
of Lake Chad, we find ample references to countries
of provenance and ancient figures belonging to the
history of the Fertile Crescent

i am grateful for this great resource, i am studying it already. But the weakness is apparent: it will never be standard until it is all encompassing, treating all Yoruba pieces that less powerful Yorubas have to offer. forget the "myth of power" when you are treating the history of a people, the fact that America was the strongest country today does not mean that Indian civilizations had not once thrive in America before Columbus.

It is the weakness that only you and i can supply for foreign authors to re-interpret. until we do our own part and stop waiting for the next foreign author to quote, Yoruba history will remain inconclusive. Foreign author needs us to understand our history, they will take it up where we stop, if that is the right thought. Albeit, i don't intend to jump the gun, i am loving it.

Nevertheless, i will like to know what you all want me to believe as to Yoruba origin, after all, i have concluded my point and i am clear to some extent as my language delivery can go. What do you want me to believe as to the origin of Yoruba in shortest sentence, so that i do not stay seeing all efforts from my long established position that may make me bias as to others' sound opinion?
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by TonySpike: 4:33am On Aug 11, 2013
prexios:
According to the version of the tradition
recorded by the Yoruba scholar Samuel Johnson
in 1895, the ancestral Yoruba lived in Mecca
and their king was Nimrod. Braima, i.e., Abraham,
instigated a revolt against the polytheistic regime of
Nimrod in the course of which Nimrod was killed.
Thereupon Oduduwa, the son of Nimrod, fled with
his followers and the idols to Africa and left en
route some kindred people such as the Kanuri of
Kanem-Bornu and the people of the Hausa kingdoms
of Gobir. He settled with his people in Yorubaland,
where he founded the holy city of Ile Ifẹ
(Johnson 1921: 3 – 5). Details of the story show evidence
of extensive borrowing from Arabic sources
(al-T
˙
abarī 1989: 49 – 61; al-Kisā’ī 1978: 136 – 150).
However, under the layer of the interpretative Arab
story we find some elements of an authentic tradition:
though not necessarily in Mecca, the ancestors
of the Yoruba once lived in the Near East; called by
the biblical name Nimrod, their ancestral king was
killed in the course of a popular uprising; his son
Oduduwa fled with many people, some of whom
settled en route to later Yorubaland. Considering the
traditions of people on the possible route of migration
between Syria-Palestine, Darfur, and the region
of Lake Chad, we find ample references to countries
of provenance and ancient figures belonging to the
history of the Fertile Crescent

i am grateful for this great resource, i am studying it already. But the weakness is apparent: it will never be standard until it is all encompassing, treating all Yoruba pieces that less powerful Yorubas have to offer. forget the "myth of power" when you are treating the history of a people, the fact that America was the strongest country today does not mean that Indian civilizations had not once thrive in America before Columbus.

It is the weakness that only you and i can supply for foreign authors to re-interpret. until we do our own part and stop waiting for the next foreign author to quote, Yoruba history will remain inconclusive. Foreign author needs us to understand our history, they will take it up where we stop, if that is the right thought. Albeit, i don't intend to jump the gun, i am loving it.

Nevertheless, i will like to know what you all want me to believe as to Yoruba origin, after all, i have concluded my point and i am clear to some extent as my language delivery can go. What do you want me to believe as to the origin of Yoruba in shortest sentence, so that i do not stay seeing all efforts from my long established position that may make me bias as to others' sound opinion?

Dierk Lange's approach has its flaws with some exaggerations. I however think it is a great resource, an eye-opener to the world of Yoruba origin. Lange was able to show that Nineveh or mondiana (not Medina) was the location of the revolt. I personally think this story must have happened between 450 BC and 600 BC.
The evidence of the ancient Yoruba stay at South Sudan (or Nubia) is very evident in our language. Precisely, I want to assume the migrants from near-East and Nineveh stayed around Western Nile in South Sudan. Why am I saying this? A substantial tonal and spelling styles of the Yoruba language is very Nilotic. You'd notice that the Yoruba language and some fewer Nigerian languages have excessive use of O and A starting their names and nouns. This O and A feature, I have found out, is a Nilotic influence as it checks out with other 'out of Western Nile' groups like Luo and perhaps, Luhya in Western Kenya. Now there are some issues on ground:

1. How large was the migrating population from near-East?
2. How long did they sojourn in Upper Egypt or Nubia?
3. How large was the final migrating population from Sudan?
4. What happened to the indigenes they met on ground?

As a scientist, there is a population approach called the Birth-Death analysis. This approach can be applied in language and population studies. If I could find the Yoruba population in say 1600 AD, I could estimate what it was in say 500 BC. This can help me locate the number of migrations into Yorubaland. On this, I want to believe that the remnants of people from the Nok culture were on ground during their arrival. Even art forms from Nok era, to say, about 1000 AD witnessed a quantum leap; this itself is an evidence. Research has shown that Ile-Ife, for example, was inhabited as early as 600 BC. After Negro asserted that Nineveh might have been renamed Ile-Ife (Nine-veh > Lile-ifeh > Ile-Ife), it dawned on me that many Yoruba cities/towns were handed codified names by our ancestors.

So finally on what I believe is our origin, the Oduduwa story is a code because the names of the protagonists and locations are basically codified. Most Yoruba myths are codified, alongside the religious customs. That's why we are discussing our ideas and discoveries on a platform like Nairaland. I believe a combination of religious, cultural and scientific methodology, like we are all applying, will reveal a lot of these codes to us. Thanks
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 9:42am On Aug 11, 2013
Tony Spike:

Dierk Lange's approach has its flaws with some exaggerations. I however think it is a great resource, an eye-opener to the world of Yoruba origin. Lange was able to show that Nineveh or mondiana (not Medina) was the location of the revolt. I personally think this story must have happened between 450 BC and 600 BC.
The evidence of the ancient Yoruba stay at South Sudan (or Nubia) is very evident in our language. Precisely, I want to assume the migrants from near-East and Nineveh stayed around Western Nile in South Sudan. Why am I saying this? A substantial tonal and spelling styles of the Yoruba language is very Nilotic. You'd notice that the Yoruba language and some fewer Nigerian languages have excessive use of O and A starting their names and nouns. This O and A feature, I have found out, is a Nilotic influence as it checks out with other 'out of Western Nile' groups like Luo and perhaps, Luhya in Western Kenya. Now there are some issues on ground:

As a scientist, there is a population approach called the Birth-Death analysis. This approach can be applied in language and population studies. If I could find the Yoruba population in say 1600 AD, I could estimate what it was in say 500 BC. This can help me locate the number of migrations into Yorubaland. On this, I want to believe that the remnants of people from the Nok culture were on ground during their arrival. Even art forms from Nok era, to say, about 1000 AD witnessed a quantum leap; this itself is an evidence. Research has shown that Ile-Ife, for example, was inhabited as early as 600 BC. After Negro asserted that Nineveh might have been renamed Ile-Ife (Nine-veh > Lile-ifeh > Ile-Ife), it dawned on me that many Yoruba cities/towns were handed codified names by our ancestors.

So finally on what I believe is our origin, the Oduduwa story is a code because the names of the protagonists and locations are basically codified. Most Yoruba myths are codified, alongside the religious customs. That's why we are discussing our ideas and discoveries on a platform like Nairaland. I believe a combination of religious, cultural and scientific methodology, like we are all applying, will reveal a lot of these codes to us. Thanks

Hello man,

You are hitting the nails where they need to be struck and i hope your blows can drive it in deep enough.

Consider the following additions:

1. Could Mondiana be Midian?

2. Is SARGON a name or a title?

3. Could there have been a SARGON pre-migration from Nineveh and another SARGON in the post- migration era of newly settled Ile- Ife?

4. Sargon and Ile Ife, are these imported names?

5. What, if any, are the correlations between
a. Osangangan - 2nd Ooni
b. Sango - 2nd Alaafin
c. Sargon.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by TonySpike: 10:53am On Aug 11, 2013
MetaPhysical:

Hello man,

You are hitting the nails where they need to be struck and i hope your blows can drive it in deep enough.

Consider the following additions:

1. Could Mondiana be Midian?

2. Is SARGON a name or a title?

3. Could there have been a SARGON pre-migration from Nineveh and another SARGON in the post- migration era of newly settled Ile- Ife?

4. Sargon and Ile Ife, are these imported names?

5. What, if any, are the correlations between
a. Osangangan - 2nd Ooni
b. Sango - 2nd Alaafin
c. Sargon.

Thought provoking questions, I would say. We do have a lot on our hands, this is the best thread so far on this issue. By the way, I just found that the Nilotic tribe, Luo, is actually pronounced "Luwo". Doesn't that tell us something about "Oluwo", the equivalence name in Yoruba language. Could this be a tribe of Levites (Levi > L_V_ > L_W_ > LUWO) relocated to Africa after the Babylonian massacre? Alagba Negro is here again...
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by amor4ce(m): 12:35pm On Aug 11, 2013
A negative influence is the lack of belief in the application of atunwa (reincarnation) factor and the occurence of loops in our history. Why don't we test it as a hypothesis and see whether or not the results fill the missing links?
One thing I've noticed about near east history is that the collapse of the 2nd bronze age involved violent conquests by non-blacks (oyinbo, fulani, touaregs and the likes) from a northeasternly direction and the southwesterly migration of blacks toward and into west and central africa.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by amor4ce(m): 1:00pm On Aug 11, 2013
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 11, 2013

Very funny thread.

What is with connecting Yoruba history with Biblical tales.Biblical accounts-some of which have been thrown off as a ruse after several studies and majority cannot be empirically proven to have really happened?

I think it is quite belittling of the Yoruba race to connect Yoruba names with characters who supposedly existed in the middle east.

It is an unacceptable fraud to coin and conjure up interpretations of Yoruba terms to give some validation of a possible migration from Mecca or wherever when the remains of the earliest man is said to have been found in Ethiopia and another at Igbo-Eleru? So Africans who occupied the continent emigrated to Middle East then migrated back?

It is a fruitless and a never ending circle to keep trying to weld Yoruba history to foreign elements when the periodization and cultural differences have already flawed the intention. If it is a must to re-write history, please look inward or your immediate environment as far as geographical factor goes, also seek to consult Ifa for proper facts/pointers which you can then interpret.

The school of thought which sought to marry Yoruba/ile-ife and middle east has long been dead. Historians don't look towards that direction and it has become an abomination to do such in the world of Yoruba Historians.

On a final note, I enjoyed reading the discourse about Ado/Edo/Ekiti, at least it is inward and Moses or Cain didn't contribute to it this time. It flamed up questions I'll ask my uncles when I visit home again. I'll also like to post links too as time goes on.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Aug 11, 2013
In addition, I read a post where someone said they don't have to be part of an occult to learn Yoruba history. Let me say that person will forever remain an ogberi to his own ancestral history.

In order to learn core details of Yoruba history (migration,emigration & settlements, dramatis persona who are now deities) one has to be an initiate into some order - this is a fact.

While writing a research, I did oral interviews and used several texts/published journals but on going home and getting to acquaint myself with 'tradition' it became glaring many things I got in oral and those texts were wrong!

You don't have to 'join' but at least familiarize yourselves with people who are in initiates, it'll go a long way.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by amor4ce(m): 7:27pm On Aug 11, 2013
The Fulani gene pool includes some Indo-European DNA which is seen in the scientific community as evidence of a back-migration into Africa. Can you provide an alternative explanation?
As our people migrated from Ile-Ife within the last 1,000 years they found various artifacts in the virgin territories. An example is the group of Esie soapstone figures. Another is the magical pot found by migrants from Iremo Quarters and which they called "Orisha gun amu ewa" (shortened to Shagamu). did such artifacts create and plant themselves? is it not that some people lived there before, including a previous incarnation of yourself? how is it that there is little knowledge among our people of sungbo eredo?
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 7:38pm On Aug 11, 2013
amor4ce: T[b]he Fulani gene pool includes some Indo-European DNA which is seen in the scientific community as evidence of a back-migration into Africa.[/b] Can you provide an alternative explanation?
As our people migrated from Ile-Ife within the last 1,000 years they found various artifacts in the virgin territories. An example is the group of Esie soapstone figures. Another is the magical pot found by migrants from Iremo Quarters and which they called "Orisha gun amu ewa" (shortened to Shagamu). did such artifacts create and plant themselves? is it not that some people lived there before, including a previous incarnation of yourself? how is it that there is little knowledge among our people of sungbo eredo?

Nice!
Please provide a link for the bolded.

The rest of your posts are problems you and I are supposed to find solutions to w/out 'famzing' Israelites who will deny ever having connection with us at the slightest opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful thread. My take is, it will go a long way if we restrict our research to Southwest/Nigeria/West Africa and at max Africa than attach to anything outside, Please understand me.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by amor4ce(m): 8:08pm On Aug 11, 2013
I will get the details of that paper when phcn does the needful.
Many west and central african peoples have traditional accounts, e.g. kisra legend, of mass migrations from the Near East. I would rather believe my ancestors than encourage myself to accept without scrutiny the biased research promoted by oyinbo people who fabricate reasons to justify their hatred of us. If I had been restricting myself I would not have let Otito set me free from their lies.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 11, 2013
amor4ce: I will get the details of that paper when phcn does the needful.
Many west and central african peoples have traditional accounts, e.g. kisra legend, of mass migrations from the Near East. I would rather believe my ancestors than encourage myself to accept without scrutiny the biased research promoted by oyinbo people who fabricate reasons to justify their hatred of us. If I had been restricting myself I would not have let Otito set me free from their lies.

May God bless you for the bolded.

I'm waiting for a colleague to forward some materials to me share here.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 8:55pm On Aug 11, 2013
9jacrip:

Nice!
Please provide a link for the bolded.

The rest of your posts are problems you and I are supposed to find solutions to w/out 'famzing' Israelites who will deny ever having connection with us at the slightest opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful thread. My take is, it will go a long way if we restrict our research to Southwest/Nigeria/West Africa and at max Africa than attach to anything outside, Please understand me.

This exercise, at least from what I have so far seen, is ethnic driven and we are looking from inside out. We are inspecting sounds, letters, root words, names, titles, and so on from the perspective of Yoruba tongue and DNAing them to the general population of tongues in the human race and timeline.

So far there are matches and consistently those matches are footprinted in AfroAsian customs and timeline.

We are not using AfroAsia to explain Yoruba but on the other hand bits and pieces, in arts, symbols, root words, antiquity, records, place names, titles, are all presenting revealing and hard to dismiss evidences of a common root.

Dont blame what we are doing, tell the inputs to stop corresponding and correlating. grin

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 11, 2013
amor4ce: Elizabeth < Orisha___? Orishun___?

Who can help me with the meaning/etymology of Ejigbo?

prexios, can you help me with info about the orisha known as Aku? I strongly believe that the ku in the name has to do with remnant, which is frequently refered to in the bible - the remnant will be saved. There is a shrine in Irefin, Ekiti that is dedicated to him. Aku >(Y)aku(b) or > (J)aco(b)

the etymology of ejigbo:

Afin, awo ilode,
Adia fun Ajibola,
tii se yeye elekuru,
Loja ejigbo-mekun.

Ajibola saye oni ire.
Orunmila loni koo saye oni-ire,
Ajibola saye onii re,
Elasode loni koo saye oni-ire.

Ijesha lafin. If you look carefully at the word irefin, i never know if a place is so called until now, but, what you have to look out for is the code words, just as tony spike has said above. Irefin is the feedback to afin. Irefin means ire-afin, that is "the journey of Afin." Who was afin? Recall the aro eyo, where an icon said "...afin le nimi, mii seni a ti laya." i don't need to find who afin was if i have this ancient line, period.

Ejigbo is the short for ejigbo-mekun. Oja ejigbomekun is the founding fathers' name for what we call "Yoruba and her neighbours." Some people are not going to drop the old name for new ones, hence the term survive till our time. The Yoruba search party were of two divides, the pro-and anti-expansion. the Ifes were the expansionists, like the elites.

The anti-expansionists were people who speaks different language other than Yoruba around Yoruba land*(guesswork here).

The title for the ifa that i have given here is Osa - meji, it is taken from Odu Osa. I have told you guy to get the book awon oju odu mererindinlogun by Wande Abimbola ealier on, when we are at the initial stage of this discourse with Alagba Negro, whom i really miss.(i may have been unprofessional at that stage, i never knew we will come this far, but even when we disagree, his contributions get us this far, as i have to unleash just to be right.)

like it or not, Aku seems to be a short cut of Akure. You have to particularize en-route the closest synonym. the reason is, no Yoruba history is isolated of the other next to it. to isolate is to struggle with facts. then struggled facts often stand aloof and is foreign to body corpus of the thread of Yoruba history, meanwhile, all Yoruba words were codes invented by scholars like us who created subtle backups should in case one placed at some distance point become corrupt. Aku to me may have to do with Aoku, or Aaku.

You are correct, anyway. it talk about the remnants. the Yoruba lost a lot of followers and were greatly discouraged, thus they seek the face of God to know if they will ever survive at this strange world. But then God comfort them and says that they will become so many (awujale). From this came the song,

Ewo le ayo ewomo o
ewo le ayo ewomo.

Ayo is the source of the prefix Yo- that you have in Yoruba. Don't ask me more about this, you should understand what the mnemonic Ayo is, it is distributing seed across each cell that make up an opon. You know that Ayo is "Songo" among the Cameroonians sha? fact in Yoruba will always collect itself to connect.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 11, 2013
MetaPhysical:

This exercise, at least from what I have so far seen, is ethnic driven and we are looking from inside out. We are inspecting sounds, letters, root words, names, titles, and so on from the perspective of Yoruba tongue and DNAing them to the general population of tongues in the human race and timeline.

So far there are matches and consistently those matches are footprinted in AfroAsian customs and timeline.

We are not using AfroAsia to explain Yoruba but on the other hand bits and pieces, in arts, symbols, root words, antiquity, records, place names, titles, are all presenting revealing and hard to dismiss evidences of a common root.

Dont blame what we are doing, tell the inputs to stop corresponding and correlating. grin

The bolded part is quite fraudulent and unacceptable! Yoruba language and Hebrew/Middle eastern languages are not even grouped together under linguistic classification.

Match your points/facts within sir, looking inside out is far fetched.

Let's not derail the thread sha, I hope it grows.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 11, 2013
MetaPhysical:

I love that. Who cares what is Israel's take on this. well with due respect, may the people be great. What we are doing here is putting Yoruba history as Tony has said at the reach of the enthusiast. we are not isolated from the rest of humanity and nothing stops us from using the Bible and other springboards as clue in search of our origin. the Bible is a time tested portable homeland for all humanity, you are either fighting it or loving it. But in comparative study of Yoruba, Bible speaks a lot of Yoruba or vice versa, so we are just looking into it.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Aug 11, 2013
Tony Spike:

Thought provoking questions, I would say. We do have a lot on our hands, this is the best thread so far on this issue. By the way, I just found that the Nilotic tribe, Luo, is actually pronounced "Luwo". Doesn't that tell us something about "Oluwo", the equivalence name in Yoruba language. Could this be a tribe of Levites (Levi > L_V_ > L_W_ > LUWO) relocated to Africa after the Babylonian massacre? Alagba Negro is here again...

OLUWO is Yoruba for the next in rank to Apena.
OLUWO is, as Johnson put it, omo OLUWO-NI, a son of sacrificial victim.
That is cardinal in Yoruba History. Oluwo means, one who beat the taboo.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 11, 2013
prexios:

I love that. Who cares what is Israel's take on this. well with due respect, may the people be great. What we are doing here is putting Yoruba history as Tony has said at the reach of the enthusiast. we are not isolated from the rest of humanity and nothing stops us from using the Bible and other springboards as clue in search of our origin. the Bible is a time tested portable homeland for all humanity, you are either fighting it or loving it. But in comparative study of Yoruba, Bible speaks a lot of Yoruba or vice versa, so we are just looking into it.

LOL OK.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 11, 2013
prexios:

OLUWO is Yoruba for the next in rank to Apena.
OLUWO is, as Johnson put it, omo OLUWO-NI, a son of sacrificial victim.
That is cardinal in Yoruba History. Oluwo means, one who beat the taboo.

Oluwo to my knowledge is Olu-Awo
One who has a rank in the order of the secrets/fold*
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 11, 2013
Tony Spike:

That's quite daunting.

I really respect your stand on this thread all along, i know we all have our personal quests and definitely in need of kindred spirits. i know by now you know that i believe in the efficacy of Yoruba ancestral perspective. One of such is that, when the Yoruba arrive on the south sahara, there were no inhabitants on the plain, hence Ifa said,

Won la gbo-oro
Won lagbo opa,
Won lana won labi ese nto.

won peegun, egun o gbo,
Won pe oro, oro o gba,
Won wa to Olodumare lo.

Olodumare wani, obinrin aarin yin nko?
won lawon o fi t'Obinrin se.
Agbegbere Ajuba, Ajuba naa Agbegbere...

how do they find their bearing through those damn forest? i dont know, its not my problem. but then also, i can say this differently: my lack of explanation in this respect can be projected as answer, that is, "it is impossible, some people should have done this or that before the conquistadors came."

I have by so doing "limit Yoruba history to my limits." Just as we now restrict Yoruba history to our restrictions." Then we can develop this to the story of Yoruba conquest of the Aborigine, and that's where we are going. that's what we are looking for, I'm not a member to that. we will all see what we want to see, anyway. I believe.

When you look at Yoruba history, there are some perfections. then there are our own version of Yoruba history, modern. We want to package everything Yoruba within the confines of upper Yoruba, (Oyo or Ife) and then map out the rest as Aborigines, that may be the problem. It is the reason we always want some tradition to do everything for us, we can't stress ourselves, power is real if some people are conquered. we can not all lay claim to Near East, some people should be there to welcome Oduduwa.

I don't know if some people are conquered, thats not my line of thought. My line of thought is this: each and every Yoruba city state have unique account derived fro the main stock of Yoruba history, if you ignore it, you lose on the missing link. If you want Oyo or Ife tradition to be all sufficient, it is good, it will push you here and there and your quest will be inconclusive.

But i can guarantee that the Yoruba ancestors touched the tip of the expanse, the coast that is. they got to the sea. i think that is what is meant by "omode gbon, agba gbon..." this implies that "Ale ife" is not "ile ife." mauvi, who says Yoruba were "eve" and eve (or ewe) is Hebrew, may be shying away from claiming that eve if a variant of Ife. Ale ife is "tip of the expanse." Ife is the ancestors way of saying expanse. Of course i am not saying ile ife is not real.

I respect the Dierk Langes piece. it is the best that any expert from outside the culture can do. but then he needs to compare paper and be a bit subjective if he is to go with an associate. Yoruba history is not like the well known history that an expert can handle alone from any point in the world when one is really ready to give a revolutionary idea. albeit, it is the tip of an iceberg anyway. it is the birth of some kind of curiosity.

I use to think that Yoruba language is the envy of Levi Strauss, the father of Semiology. Lange needs to be armed with such angle to thrive on this chosen field. its really promising.

As to the affinity of Yoruba language with the eastern Africans, well it is known that the Yoruba sojourned at such places and left member of their own people behind. that was really a fact judging from what other experts have said. The bible says, from behind the rivers of Ethiopia, my people, even the daughter of my disperse ones shall bring my offering. Zephaniah 3:10. He prophesied in the days of Josiah, king of Judah (B.C. 641-610)

I once quote Isaiah, Quran and so on. When the prophet of Islam said rebellious Jew were curse by the mouth of David, i use that as timeline, not Nineveh. when Isaiah, speaks at 65, i use it as timeline too. Isaiah should have lived around 700BC. He was talking about an established place for a time to come as at the time he wrote isaiah 65. These were the clue to what i believe that i may not change so soon.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 11, 2013
prexios:
But i can guarantee that the Yoruba ancestors touched the tip of the expanse, the coast that is. they got to the sea. i think that is what is meant by "omode gbon, agba gbon..." this implies that "Ale ife" is not "ile ife.

LMAO! What's this bro? Where you hear/see this one? Did you coin that?

Thumbs-up to your ingenuity

LOL
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by MetaPhysical: 12:11am On Aug 12, 2013
9jacrip:

The bolded part is quite fraudulent and unacceptable! Yoruba language and Hebrew/Middle eastern languages are not even grouped together under linguistic classification.

Match your points/facts within sir, looking inside out is far fetched.

Let's not derail the thread sha, I hope it grows.

Who grouped them?
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by amor4ce(m): 2:13am On Aug 12, 2013
It was the oyinbo colonialists that taught our people to begin to believe that either we did not migrate or that we migrated only from somewhere around the Benue River basin.
Here are the fulani dna papers:
MtDNA Profile of West African Guineans: Towards a Better Understanding of the Senegambia Region. Rosa, A, et al., 4 (340-352), s.l. : Annals of Human Genetics, 2004, Vol. 64.

A Back Migration from Asia to Sub-Saharan Africa Is Supported by High-Resolution Analysis of Human Y-Chromosome Haplotypes. Cruciani, F, et al., 70 (1197-1214), American Journal of Human Genetics, 2002.
Re: Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. by Nobody: 2:19am On Aug 12, 2013
MetaPhysical:

Who grouped them?

Linguists of course! Are you or any one linking Yoruba and Hebrew languages by any chance linguists? If not then it would mean you lots are regurgitating your fantasies at the detriment of what have been a scholarly discourse.

Read these:

http://multitree.org/codes/heb

http://multitree.org/codes/yor

^^^ I don't see where any connection is made.

Maybe you want to provide a linguistic source linking both languages?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Okenegoro: Sex Slavery In Cross River State (money Wives) Public Eye Episode 5 / Emir Sanusi Lamido Shares His Payslip To Debunk N12Million Salary (Photo) / Protest Against Reinstatement Of Sanusi As Emir Of Kano Hits Villa, NASS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.