Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,959 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage (10545 Views)

How Nigerians Behave As Car Owners / How To Spot Damaged And Flood Damage Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by buchito1(m): 10:33pm On Jul 17, 2013
Caracta:

Says who? Seun's new SUV alone is enough to damage roads...not to talk of his private jets that refuse to fly but instead ply our beloved Nigerian roads.

Obasanjo's animal farm's waste products can hasten the 'expiration' of our roads. And the list goes on...

*yawns*
I need to sleep sad grin
Shattap!!! Seun gett suv Or he stil dey use leg nd keke
Mtchheeww... Nd dey dn even knww who d fu+ck u arre oo!
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Gonzaga1010(m): 10:40pm On Jul 17, 2013
hmmmmm
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Caracta(f): 11:06pm On Jul 17, 2013
buchito1: Shattap!!! Seun gett suv Or he stil dey use leg nd keke
Mtchheeww... Nd dey dn even knww who d fu+ck u arre oo!

Why is your life so messed up? Are you this dumb or you are just faking it? Stop getting worked up over a harmless comment. Life is easy. Pls don't commit suicide!
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Frankbaro(m): 11:58pm On Jul 17, 2013
I Think, the worst culprits are those who burn tyres on our roads.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Nobody: 12:40am On Jul 18, 2013
usmsam: Imagine the nonsense. Roads that these politicians have allocated billions of naira to build and maintain and nothing to show for it.... It is now the citizens fault that the roads are bad.
The nerve of these people.

Both Nigerians and Nigerian politicians should be blamed. Nigerian government/politicians should authorize the constructions of the roads while Nigerians and her government should maintain their (roads) functionality and beauty, I.e road cleaners and sweepers.
why do you guys throw trash out of your windows? why do you pile garbage on the side of the road?
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by 190: 1:46am On Jul 18, 2013
well then if y'all cant be responsible for the upkeep of the roads

y'all can then go about walking or driving on bare soil

over here in america where i live, we all have a collective duty of keeping the good use of roads

lemme ask u nigerians one question,

how many times have y'all gotten some damn machete to cut down the grasses along y'all federal ways angry
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Horlawoomey(m): 5:46am On Jul 18, 2013
O boy you get problem for posting that your useless picture, must you create attention ? . .
usmsam: Imagine the nonsense. Roads that these politicians have allocated billions of naira to build and maintain and nothing to show for it.... It is now the citizens fault that the roads are bad.
The nerve of these people.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by nedu2000(m): 6:33am On Jul 18, 2013
190: well then if y'all cant be responsible for the upkeep of the roads

y'all can then go about walking or driving on bare soil

over here in america where i live, we all have a collective duty of keeping the good use of roads

lemme ask u nigerians one question,

how many times have y'all gotten some damn machete to cut down the grasses along y'all federal ways angry
shocked you mean americans cut grass along their highways,sorry lemme rephase,do YOU cut the grass along the federal highways in the US?
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by fuckdmods(m): 8:27am On Jul 18, 2013
abi
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by heo88(m): 8:34am On Jul 18, 2013
Immune#1:
It’s always very easy and maybe fun filled to throw all the blame on the Nigerian government when it comes to the state of Nigerian roads even when we share part of the blame as well. Most roads are built to last for 25years or slightly more depending on the quality of materials used and the accompanying road attributes like adequate drainage and basic design. It’s a known fact that Nigerian roads are over-utilized, like here in Lagos, according to LAMATA, there are 222 vehicles to every kilometre which is in excess of the national average pinned at 11 vehicles to every kilometre of pliable road .

So with these figures and daunting reality, does it make any sense to put even the slightest blame on Nigerians for the poor state of Nigerian roads? I think we do share part of the blame and here is why:

Overload: The F.R.S.C (federal road safety corps) trucks and policemen on the road never seems to be enough to curb the menace of vehicle overload by motorists. The same Nigerians that complain about bad road conditions are ones that overload their vehicles without a thought of the damaging effects their vehicles will have on the road.

Road managers & Waste disposal vans: Some of the so-called ‘road managers’ responsible for sweeping roads and keeping these surfaces tidy channel dirt and sand to drainage ways; a typical example of the resultant effect of this is the Maryland bridge in Lagos which gets flooded owing to clogged drainage ways. As for the disposal vans that have to navigate tight streets and even major highways, these special trucks destroy road surfaces overtime and even re-distribute transported solid and liquid waste on these road surfaces.

Incessant dumping: however this time by individuals like you and me; the ripple effect of dumping gala wraps and pure water sachets indiscriminately is the subsequent blocking of drainage ways like gutters and canals and when this happens water has nowhere to go but to stay on the asphalt surface.

Avoidable accidents: which can come about as a result over-speeding, poor vehicle maintenance, defiance of road traffic laws and impatience.

Driving on road shoulders: nothing exposes asphalt base and layers more than depletion of road shoulders. Road shoulders are minimally paved to prevent quick degradation of the main asphalt edges and surfaces, not to accommodate vehicle traffic during tight road congestions. Simply put, for every car or truck that plies a road shoulder surface, the main road is endangered.

So when next you want to evade the slightest road congestion, have a quick re-think!
http://autobaseafrica.com/how-nigerians-are-responsible-for-road-damages/

Immune somebody, thank you for your insightful contribution. Although you have raised some valid considerations, what has remained rather overlooked is the inherent lack of infrastructure throughout the country, but Lagos in particular. This cannot be underestimated as it would begin to explain why there is an over-usage of the state's roads. When such problems remain unaddressed, ordinary citizens will make the most of the scant available resources. In fact there's a case to argue that Nigerians should be commended for 'getting on with things', and to coin a popular maxim "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade".

Now on a more serious note, not only does the lack of infrastructure need to be addressed (especially in lagos), but the FG's culture of not making provisions for maintenance is in need of being addressed, otherwise such problems will persist, as will the vain discussions which predictably lead to no changes taking place.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Immune1(m): 8:41am On Jul 18, 2013
heo88:

Immune somebody, thank you for your insightful contribution. Although you have raised some valid considerations, what has remained rather overlooked is the inherent lack of infrastructure throughout the country, but Lagos in particular. This cannot be underestimated as it would begin to explain why there is an over-usage of the state's roads. When such problems remain unaddressed, ordinary citizens will make the most of the scant available resources. In fact there's a case to argue that Nigerians should be commended for 'getting on with things', and to coin a popular maxim "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade".

Now on a more serious note, not only does the lack of infrastructure need to be addressed (especially in lagos), but the FG's culture of not making provisions for maintenance is in need of be
You welcome, i didnt shy away from the glaring lack of infrastructure,i deliberately made sure i stated it before dropping my opinion. We Nigerians have an unforgivable attitude of abuse, if we dont change our current approach when it comes to dealing with the kind of roads we have, what's the guarantee that with better infrastructure we wont watch such new roads get bad again.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by uthfaith(m): 8:45am On Jul 18, 2013
Nt road damages. It is road damage.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Immune1(m): 8:50am On Jul 18, 2013
P.Stacks:
I think this is one of those waste of time article.. I wished it was possible to see a useless thread and know immediately this thread is foolish and know u shouldn't waste ur time reading it..

I wish some threads could simply just say "Pls don't read me"
This must be one of such threads.
I regret why I spent time reading this rubbish. I didn't learn anything from it.
Its a complete waste of my time and this kind of thread shouldn't make front page.
I sincerely always shy away from paying mind to people like you;if you dont have any thing meaningful to contribute to a debatable issue then stay off.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by Immune1(m): 9:18am On Jul 18, 2013
uthfaith: Nt road damages. It is road damage.
You are right;thanks!
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by MitchDLeo(m): 9:59am On Jul 18, 2013
HoLEEsinner: These so called roads aren't well constructed and not up to standard, how do you expect a road that doesn't have well drainage system to last 25yrs? Contractors abroad ll even insure projects,certifying its standard, The government is to be blame, cause if other means of transportation is in place, it ll reduce haulers and commuters on the road and make it last as expected. Government should ensure these roads are standard before commission and if later faulty call on the contractors the contract was awarded to for reconstruction not FERMA. Inshort scrap FERMA. FRSC despite been over paid, they can't stop overloading. Smh.
A country is not made of its Government or its Natural resources its made of its People. Nigeria will remain the way it is until when its people starts doing something to develop it. Americans, Europeans, Asians the reason they are as developed as they are today is not because the government built good roads or gave them electricity its because the people they built the roads for or supplied electricity to, played their own role to maintain it, clean it and pay their taxes. We say our government is corrupt but even politicians in Europe, America e.t.c steal and Launder money but their people don't complain because they already have all they need.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by MitchDLeo(m): 10:07am On Jul 18, 2013
When new roads are built in Naija it attracts more Vehicles which just increases the pressure on the road. The only solution to this problem is to bring other sources of transport. For Example Uk and Us solved their own problem by using Sub-trains, which reduced the vehicles on the roads and the pressure. In Lagos alone u have about 5[b] million cars (Just cars wat about Danfo bus and trucks)[/b] on the roads despite how small Lagos is in terms of Land. When the roads where built earlier there wasn't much vehicles meaning less load for the road.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by MitchDLeo(m): 10:11am On Jul 18, 2013
Immune#1:

You welcome, i didnt shy away from the glaring lack of infrastructure,i deliberately made sure i stated it before dropping my opinion. We Nigerians have an unforgivable attitude of abuse, if we dont change our current approach when it comes to dealing with the kind of roads we have, what's the guarantee that with better infrastructure we wont watch such new roads get bad again.
Exactly my brother. Poor maintenance is the real issue we are facing in this Country.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by MitchDLeo(m): 10:26am On Jul 18, 2013
ollyruffy: With the way things are set up in Nigeria today, bring all the UK residents to leave in nigeria and take Nigerians to the UK, all you listed above will still continue to happen. So, it is still the government to be blamed.
You are wrong they will even make naija better because of their skills in maintenance. I used to go to a Club in UK it was very cool , clean and organised but when the owner gave it some Nigerian guy for business, so he could organise African events and parties the place got bleeped up in less than a year now its closed up because of the lack of maintenance, all the reckless fighting e.t.c Ollyruffy let me tell yu the Truth we Nigerians have a habit of Abusing things and try to blame it on another person. All the Nigerians in that place in Uk wanted to host their own event in that club which led to the fighting, thats why the uk Government seized it back.
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by victorious1986: 1:45pm On Jul 18, 2013
[quote author=Caracta]

Says who? Seun's new SUV alone is enough to damage roads...not to talk of his private jets that refuse to fly but instead ply our beloved Nigerian roads. Obasanjo's animal farm's waste products can hasten the KATARACT
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by DaWhiz: 2:41pm On Jul 18, 2013
Civilized countries are smart enough to construct great roads, and at the same time maintain, and enforce road usage policies (like the max loads allowed). If our govt cant enforce these, its sheer stupidity to hold the masses responsible! Smdh
Re: How Nigerians Are Responsible For Road Damage by gbonozee: 5:40am On Jul 19, 2013
nedu2000: I disagree,overloading affects the vehicle it carries & not the road, the road is (should be)designed to cater for such excesses,besides relevant bodies should sanction vehicles that are over-loaded instead of collecting bribe. We should also practice closed drainages,d drainages are strictly for rainwater(run-off)waste paper baskets at random points do help
It is Mr don't even go dere...

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Sounds That Signal Your Car Needs Auto Repairs Immediately / Honda Accord.... Beast On The Road / New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.