Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,778 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? (16253 Views)

Is Speaking In Tongue Learnt Or Received? / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Zatwo: 4:25pm On Jul 18, 2013
I want to know if speaking in tongues is compulsory for Christians. Whats d benefit? and wat wuld happen if a christian chooses not to
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Joagbaje(m): 6:22am On Jul 19, 2013
Zatwo: I want to know if speaking in tongues is compulsory for Christians. Whats d benefit? and wat wuld happen if a christian chooses not to

It's just like asking if prayer is compulsory . That's my answer. It's a necessity for every christian . Your life is in the holyghost . You must develop relationship with him through prayer and fellowship . The more you do ,the more he unfolds God purpose in your life.

Secondly your understanding is limited in prayer . But the holyghost who is author of your life knows all things ,he helps you pray perfectly according to the will if God when you pray in the spirit

Romans 8:26
-- Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Thirdly it's a way to build yourself in faith and in the love of God

Jude 1:20
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

If you read the book of acts ,you will see that the most important experience after salvation is being filled with the holyghost and the first evidence is speaking in tongues and prophesying

20 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by mikeeze(m): 7:03am On Jul 19, 2013
Bro Zatwo, follow the advice above. non could be better.

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by FearGodAndLive: 7:43am On Jul 19, 2013
Zatwo: I want to know if speaking in tongues is compulsory for Christians. Whats d benefit? and wat wuld happen if a christian chooses not to
Good day Brother, speaking in tongues is not compulsory for Christians. Remember my advice to you earlier. Do not get involved in arguments that do not add to your salvation.

Speaking in tongues, prophecy etc are all gifts that the Lord willingly chooses to give to each one according to His purpose not ours. Remember to focus on the most important..

1 Corinthians 12
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.And yet I will show you the most excellent way.

The next chapter is a lesson for all of us: Learn to love for that's all you need to be Christian.

God's grace be with you.

49 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by mcfynest(m): 10:35am On Jul 19, 2013

depending on what you mean by speaking in tongues.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by FearGodAndLive: 1:37pm On Jul 19, 2013
mcfynest:

depending on what you mean by speaking in tongues.

I only hope he isn't referring to the incoherent babble that's the trademark of the penterascal churches that fill the streets of Nigeria.

10 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 19, 2013
FearGodAndLive:
Good day Brother, speaking in tongues is not compulsory for Christians. Remember my advice to you earlier. Do not get involved in arguments that do not add to your salvation.

Speaking in tongues, prophecy etc are all gifts that the Lord willingly chooses to give to each one according to His purpose not ours. Remember to focus on the most important..

1 Corinthians 12
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.And yet I will show you the most excellent way.

The next chapter is a lesson for all of us: Learn to love for that's all you need to be Christian.

God's grace be with you.

Great post!!!

7 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by mcfynest(m): 3:53pm On Jul 19, 2013
FearGodAndLive:

I only hope he isn't referring to the incoherent babble that's the trademark of the penterascal churches that fill the streets of Nigeria.

yes bro...i only hope he is not talking about speaking gibberish

3 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by FearGodAndLive: 7:58pm On Jul 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Great post!!!
Thanks.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by noetic16(m): 8:29pm On Jul 19, 2013

Speaking in what tongue. The biblical apostles spoke in human languages such as Igbo, hausa, yoruba, ibibio et all when speaking in tongues in order that they may preach the gospel to foreigners.

Unless your pastor is speaking a human language, be rest assured he is demon possessed and speaking with a demon.

8 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 8:31pm On Jul 19, 2013
but speaking in tongues is fake...
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by mcfynest(m): 8:40pm On Jul 19, 2013
noetic16:

Speaking in what tongue. The biblical apostles spoke in human languages such as Igbo, hausa, yoruba, ibibio et all when speaking in tongues in order that they may preach the gospel to foreigners.

Unless your pastor is speaking a human language, be rest assured he is demon possessed and speaking with a demon.

pls tell dem.

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 8:55pm On Jul 19, 2013
like mcfynest stated... speaking in tongues in all situations in the bible people understand the speaker... tongues means different language... I wonder why God cant be content with the language you are speaking or wont want you to pray quietly so others cant hear... but to start speaking what you cant even understand. if you dont understand what you are praying how can you know you are the one praying? how can God possess you and control you on how to pray to him... that means you are not the one praying.

4 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Adaeze003(f): 9:58pm On Jul 19, 2013
1cor 14:2 for he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men but unto GOD : for NO MAN understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

@op not sure of the ans. This is for those babbling here.

12 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Yvete(f): 10:36pm On Jul 19, 2013
I believe speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit. Though I have never spoken in tongues. sad

We need to be careful because some people are being caught up in vanity; showing off their multilingual abilities and speaking every gibberish they could, regardless of whether the people who heard them could understand. From my understanding, when a person speaks in tongues, there should be someone with the gift of interpretation. Right? How do we decipher what the speaker says? #Complicated

Paul says in I Corinthians 14:27-28, "If anyone speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, each taking his turn; and let one person interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let the those persons keep silence in the church and speak to themselves and to God".

8 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 12:34am On Jul 20, 2013
Adaeze003: 1cor 14:2 for he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men but unto GOD : for NO MAN understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Hey honey... you dont build a doctrine on one verse... if you care to learn i will show you that really speaking in tongues is a myth

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 1:27am On Jul 20, 2013
Adaeze003: 1cor 14:2 for he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men but unto GOD : for NO MAN understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

gen 10:5
By these were the coastlands of the nations divided in their lands; everyone after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

gen 10:20
These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations.

gen 10:31
These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations.

And in the days of Artaxerxes wrote Bishlam, Mithredath, Tabeel, and the rest of their companions, unto Artaxerxes king of Persia; and the writing of the letter was written in Aramaic, and set forth in the Aramaic language

from the above we can tell that tongue is language especially ezra 4;7

I will advise you to read the Corinthians you quote till verse 22... and you will get the full idea of what it is saying...

14 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especiallyprophecy.
here the gift is more focused on prophecy not tongues

2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue[a] does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit.
this is talking about people who speak foreign language to the church... now tell me which kind prayer you are using to communicate with people? prayer is between God and man... so no need for the people to even hear what you are praying... and the verses is comparing tongue(languages) to prophesies... if you speak in tongues you edify your self because no one understands but it you prophesy you edify the church again the verses are comparing... see verse 3 to 4 below

3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. 4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who[b] prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues,[c] unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.
you see that he is not talking about prayers... its like i go to a church in US and start speaking tongues of ijaw... thats what this verses are about.

6 Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.

13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer,[d] say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? 17 You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.
now if speaking in tongues is a prayer why will he be speaking in tongues to the people... and see how he says he rather speak intelligible words than speaking in tongues... if it is a gift of prayers why is he rejecting it here?

20 Brothers and sisters, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults. 21 In the Law it is written:

“With other tongues
and through the lips of foreigners
I will speak to this people,
but even then they will not listen to me,
says the Lord.”

it is obvious that the tongues are other languages

22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is not for unbelievers but for believers. 23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all, 25 as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”

you guys should learn how to use context

5 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by mcfynest(m): 7:42am On Jul 20, 2013
1 Corinthians 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 20, 2013
@joa i agree wit what you said but am concern why you refer to Him like jehovah witness like this holyspirit?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jul 20, 2013
To all those that disagree about praying in tongue as part of my prayer life, no need to argue rather i pray that the eyes of your understanding be enlightened to comprehend one of the foolishness of God that is wiser than men. God bless

6 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 2:21pm On Jul 20, 2013
hisblud: To all those that disagree about praying in tongue as part of my prayer life, no need to argue rather i pray that the eyes of your understanding be enlightened to comprehend one of the foolishness of God that is wiser than men. God bless

When you read the bible in context then you will understand what speaking in tongues means... it is you who need research

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 21, 2013
benalvino:

When you read the bible in context then you will understand what speaking in tongues means... it is you who need research

Thanks bros, but from what i have researched on, of recent is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZbQBajYnEc

If you watched it, you would observe that while speaking in tongues, the part of the brain, that speech occurs is not responding? why?

Secondly, have you wondered why of all the gifts [charisma] of the Spirit, only tongues was not used in the old testament?

Thirdly, why would Christ Jesus [Yashua] specifically stated that this signs [one of it is speaking in tongues] will follow those that believe, later on completely stop it in a period of time like ours? Is Christ not the same yesterday, today and forever?

Fourthly, yes people in acts 2, heard the disciples speaking in thier own languages but have you read where some heard gibberish as you called it?
Acts 2:12-13

12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
KJV

5 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 9:58pm On Jul 21, 2013
hisblud:

If you watched it, you would observe that while speaking in tongues, the part of the brain, that speech occurs is not responding? why?

Secondly, have you wondered why of all the gifts [charisma] of the Spirit, only tongues was not used in the old testament?

Thirdly, why would Christ Jesus [Yashua] specifically stated that this signs [one of it is speaking in tongues] will follow those that believe, later on completely stop it in a period of time like ours? Is Christ not the same yesterday, today and forever?

Fourthly, yes people in acts 2, heard the disciples speaking in thier own languages but have you read where some heard gibberish as you called it?

in the video they said they have no control of what comes out of their mouth... now tell me how is it a prayer to God when they are not the one praying?

Yes when Chinese person speaks it sounds like nonsense gibs... so is when you speak English to Chinese person they feel same way...

Hisblud i expect you to use bible verse to explain it and not some news video...
please read bible verse with context... you cant just take "the sign will follow those that believe" and build a doctrine on that... it doesnt make sense till you read the context start from the previous verse then go 4 verses later...

Mark 16:17 ….'And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues.' ……..Now, really think carefully about this verse. If we take a look at this in context, we read a couple of verses before this in Mark 16:15 where it says ….'And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.'

you and me know that the they are told to go and preach to the world... that means different nations and language... we know that tongue = language... so for them to be able to preach they will need the give of the tongue... which means they will need the gift to speak foreign languages... that is the meaning of gift of the tongue

really man... speaking in tongue the way you see Christians do it is a myth... How can God take control of you to pray to him... it means he his praying to him self and you are not the one praying. it doesn't make sense.

6 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Emusan(m): 10:36pm On Jul 21, 2013
hisblud:

classic!!!
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 1:32am On Jul 22, 2013
benalvino:

in the video they said they have no control of what comes out of their mouth... now tell me how is it a prayer to God when they are not the one praying?

Yes when Chinese person speaks it sounds like nonsense gibs... so is when you speak English to Chinese person they feel same way...

Hisblud i expect you to use bible verse to explain it and not some news video...

why i showed u that video was not that i ignored the bible, rather am pointing out that if mere spoken language can be detected by scientific means yet speaking in tongues, in the human brain, though spoken words, cannot be detect so we need to reconsider why our human language, we can see brain activity, yet when one speaks in tongue, no brain activity? Could it be its by-passing our human faculty of speech even though its words shocked shocked shocked

benalvino:
please read bible verse with context... you cant just take "the sign will follow those that believe" and build a doctrine on that... it doesnt make sense till you read the context start from the previous verse then go 4 verses later...

Mark 16:17 ….'And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues.' ……..Now, really think carefully about this verse. If we take a look at this in context, we read a couple of verses before this in Mark 16:15 where it says ….'And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.'

you and me know that the they are told to go and preach to the world... that means different nations and language... we know that tongue = language... so for them to be able to preach they will need the give of the tongue... which means they will need the gift to speak foreign languages... that is the meaning of gift of the tongue

Rightly, if am to go by your explanation, it was evidently done by the disciples in Acts 2, please notice the bolded
Acts 2:7-11

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
KJV

Thus we can conclude they were speaking about the wonderful works of God in the various language.

But when we go further in the Acts account, we see in scripture where when people spoke in tongues, was not to preach but as a sign that the gift of the Holy Spirit, have also been given to the gentiles as it was to the disciples in Jerusalem.

Furthermore we hear paul emphasising that tongues should not be forbidden. Now i believe that speaking in tongue can be used as a medium for communicating the gospel, but that is not all, it can be used
1. Speak to God directly,
2. Edify [build] oneself up

and note this is not to communicate the gospel to people but to do the above reason to YOURSELF.

Another reason you would note is that praying in tongues should be something done MORE in your privacy than in public which paul was emphasising when he was speaking to the corinthians who were speaking in church. Thus making this statement

1 Cor 14:18-19

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
KJV

Thus this speaking in tongues paul was emphasising was not communicating the gospel but rather another level of usage of tongues in privacy.

benalvino:
really man... speaking in tongue the way you see Christians do it is a myth... How can God take control of you to pray to him... it means he his praying to him self and you are not the one praying. it doesn't make sense.

Yes i understand, it does not make sense. But notice that its not God making you, rather you deliberately speak it. Notice what paul says here
1 Cor 14:18-19

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
KJV

you would notice that there is a personal will to speak in tongues not like being taken over by demons NO!, the Holy Spirit respect your will to speak out of your own voilition. Finally, dont worry, i will pray in tongues for the eyes of your understand [sense, mind] to be able to comprehend the things that we are freely given. Amen

4 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 7:55am On Jul 22, 2013
hisblud:
why i showed u that video was not that i ignored the bible, rather am pointing out that if mere spoken language can be detected by scientific means yet speaking in tongues, in the human brain, though spoken words, cannot be detect so we need to reconsider why our human language, we can see brain activity, yet when one speaks in tongue, no brain activity? Could it be its by-passing our human faculty of speech even though its words shocked shocked shocked

Rightly, if am to go by your explanation, it was evidently done by the disciples in Acts 2, please notice the bolded

Thus we can conclude they were speaking about the wonderful works of God in the various language.

But when we go further in the Acts account, we see in scripture where when people spoke in tongues, was not to preach but as a sign that the gift of the Holy Spirit, have also been given to the gentiles as it was to the disciples in Jerusalem.

Furthermore we hear paul emphasising that tongues should not be forbidden. Now i believe that speaking in tongue can be used as a medium for communicating the gospel, but that is not all, it can be used
1. Speak to God directly,
2. Edify [build] oneself up

and note this is not to communicate the gospel to people but to do the above reason to YOURSELF.

Another reason you would note is that praying in tongues should be something done MORE in your privacy than in public which paul was emphasising when he was speaking to the corinthians who were speaking in church. Thus making this statement

Thus this speaking in tongues paul was emphasising was not communicating the gospel but rather another level of usage of tongues in privacy.

Yes i understand, it does not make sense. But notice that its not God making you, rather you deliberately speak it. Notice what paul says here

you would notice that there is a personal will to speak in tongues not like being taken over by demons NO!, the Holy Spirit respect your will to speak out of your own voilition. Finally, dont worry, i will pray in tongues for the eyes of your understand [sense, mind] to be able to comprehend the things that we are freely given. Amen

wait you say that its not God making you but you deliberately do it... watch your video again what they said... that the holy spirit takes control... and control what comes out of their mouth... just watch your video.

to your statement referring to acts... Guy in mark 16:17 it says the sign shall follow them that believe

but again you are taking words out of context... read the whole at account... there is nothing like speaking in tongues by saying shabalaba kaikai zunga blabablaba... you know the rubbish those guys were saying in the video.
[b]Acts 2 (snippets) …..' And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place …….. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them …… And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.' …….These verses can only mean ONE thing, which is the disciples were given the gift of speaking in other languages. These verse explain themselves clearly.[/b]
they were surprised they are speaking with other tongues... which is languages. Guy speaking in tongues the way Christians do it is not biblical...

it can be use to Speak to God directly because he knows all languages... if a Japanese man comes to your church to preach in japan language... he doesn't talk to the people but to God alone and he edifies him self because only him and God knows Japanese... that is what Corinthians is all about... notice how in the letter he mentioned if someone is not there to interpret what he is saying... it means the language he is preaching on is understood by someone else. may i will illustrate this again...

God said to Israel in Deuteronomy 28:49? ... 'The LORD shall bring a nation against thee from far, from the end of the earth, as swift as the eagle flieth; a nation whose TONGUE thou shalt not understand.' ... Now we know that "tongues" in the Old Testament meant language. So God was basically saying that He would bring a nation against them whose LANGUAGE they would not understand. This also applies to 1 Corinthians 14 above.

And look at what Paul said further on in this chapter, which clarifies what he was talking about:

1 Corinthians 14:18 .....'I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all.'

We know that Paul could speak in a number of different languages of the earth. He wasn't speaking in ecstatic tongues like many Christians do today, but simply different languages of the earth. This is what he is talking about with speaking in tongues. And in verse 22 he wraps it up by saying ..... 'Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.' ..... Speaking in tongues (speaking in different languages) is for a sign to those who don't believe. Now how can speaking in ecstatic tongues (gibberish) be a sign to those who don't believe, when all they think when they hear it happen is that the people are crazy! And it largely remains behind closed doors. How can that be a sign to non believers?

2 Likes

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 22, 2013
wait you say that its not God making you but you deliberately do it... watch your video again what they said... that the holy spirit takes control... and control what comes out of their mouth... just watch your video.
Ok I see where you are harping on that is from 5.07 where the lady stated that there is a part of our brain we don’t have control when the Holy Spirit begins to intercede on our behalf. And this was stated effectively by the doctor whereby he demonstrated that on the frontal lobe in the human brain, where he compares normal speaking, there is an activity on that part of the brain, while when the speaker, speaks in tongue, that place is not responding thus I see what that lady was saying the Holy Spirit takes “control”, becos the words by passes the control center of speech by man.

to your statement referring to acts... Guy in mark 16:17 it says the sign shall follow them that believe

but again you are taking words out of context... read the whole at account... there is nothing like speaking in tongues by saying shabalaba kaikai zunga blabablaba... you know the rubbish those guys were saying in the video.
Acts 2 (snippets) …..' And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place …….. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them …… And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.' …….These verses can only mean ONE thing, which is the disciples were given the gift of speaking in other languages. These verse explain themselves clearly.
they were surprised they are speaking with other tongues... which is languages. Guy speaking in tongues the way Christians do it is not biblical...

Continue down you left out a part where still some people stated that they were drunk which peter refuted. Just like to you its rubbish, nonsense and gibberish of which you are mocking as of old.

Acts 2:13
13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.KJV

it can be use to Speak to God directly because he knows all languages... if a Japanese man comes to your church to preach in japan language... he doesn't talk to the people but to God alone and he edifies him self because only him and God knows Japanese... that is what Corinthians is all about... notice how in the letter he mentioned if someone is not there to interpret what he is saying... it means the language he is preaching on is understood by someone else. may i will illustrate this again...
Have you heard how the tongues of angel sounds like and the words that is contained therein in your life yet, could it be something beyond you?

God said to Israel in Deuteronomy 28:49? ... 'The LORD shall bring a nation against thee from far, from the end of the earth, as swift as the eagle flieth; a nation whose TONGUE thou shalt not understand.' ... Now we know that "tongues" in the Old Testament meant language. So God was basically saying that He would bring a nation against them whose LANGUAGE they would not understand. This also applies to 1 Corinthians 14 above.

And look at what Paul said further on in this chapter, which clarifies what he was talking about:

1 Corinthians 14:18 .....'I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all.'

We know that Paul could speak in a number of different languages of the earth. He wasn't speaking in ecstatic tongues like many Christians do today, but simply different languages of the earth. This is what he is talking about with speaking in tongues. And in verse 22 he wraps it up by saying ..... 'Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.' ..... Speaking in tongues (speaking in different languages) is for a sign to those who don't believe. Now how can speaking in ecstatic tongues (gibberish) be a sign to those who don't believe, when all they think when they hear it happen is that the people are crazy! And it largely remains behind closed doors. How can that be a sign to non believers?
Hmm that is interesting lol, read this verse and tell me if what you wrote up there tallies

1 Cor 14:2
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
KJV

The word no man is ‎oudeis (oo-dice') not even one (man, woman or thing), i.e. none, nobody, nothing Strong Concordance:
Thus implying NOT EVEN ONE man/woman/thing can understand what such a person is speaking, but God who knows and goes beyond our limited faculty thus how can you say that paul knew different languages, yet he says here that its possible to speak a language men cannot understand and I believe tongues been spoken here qualifies as one. Now there are tongues that are gifts of tongue to which it must have interpretation but there is another tongues that cannot have interpretation which is what paul was emphasizing in that context.

..... Speaking in tongues (speaking in different languages) is for a sign to those who don't believe. Now how can speaking in ecstatic tongues (gibberish) be a sign to those who don't believe, when all they think when they hear it happen is that the people are crazy! And it largely remains behind closed doors. How can that be a sign to non believers?

The tongues to those who don’t believe is the gift of the Spirit which is gifts of tongues with interpretation, and there is another tongue which cannot be interpreted to which paul admonish that such a one should speak to himself

1 Cor 14:27-28
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
notice paul did not forbide any speaking in tongues that cannot be interpreted rather he admonish such a one to simply keep silent yet he can speak to himself and also to God.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 4:20pm On Jul 22, 2013
hisblud:
Ok I see where you are harping on that is from 5.07 where the lady stated that there is a part of our brain we don’t have control when the Holy Spirit begins to intercede on our behalf. And this was stated effectively by the doctor whereby he demonstrated that on the frontal lobe in the human brain, where he compares normal speaking, there is an activity on that part of the brain, while when the speaker, speaks in tongue, that place is not responding thus I see what that lady was saying the Holy Spirit takes “control”, becos the words by passes the control center of speech by man.

Continue down you left out a part where still some people stated that they were drunk which peter refuted. Just like to you its rubbish, nonsense and gibberish of which you are mocking as of old.

Have you heard how the tongues of angel sounds like and the words that is contained therein in your life yet, could it be something beyond you?

Hmm that is interesting lol, read this verse and tell me if what you wrote up there tallies

The word no man is ‎oudeis (oo-dice') not even one (man, woman or thing), i.e. none, nobody, nothing Strong Concordance:
Thus implying NOT EVEN ONE man/woman/thing can understand what such a person is speaking, but God who knows and goes beyond our limited faculty thus how can you say that paul knew different languages, yet he says here that its possible to speak a language men cannot understand and I believe tongues been spoken here qualifies as one. Now there are tongues that are gifts of tongue to which it must have interpretation but there is another tongues that cannot have interpretation which is what paul was emphasizing in that context.

The tongues to those who don’t believe is the gift of the Spirit which is gifts of tongues with interpretation, and there is another tongue which cannot be interpreted to which paul admonish that such a one should speak to himself

notice paul did not forbide any speaking in tongues that cannot be interpreted rather he admonish such a one to simply keep silent yet he can speak to himself and also to God.

Did my best. speaking in tongues is rubbish and i proved it. with bible... not playing some youtube video about people trying to justify they gibs... use the bible.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 22, 2013
benalvino:

Did my best. speaking in tongues is rubbish and i proved it. with bible... not playing some youtube video about people trying to justify they gibs... use the bible.

Thanks for your best, apart from the video, i showed you bible verse didnt i? And that tongues are still valid... tho some might have abused it but nevertheless they are still valid.

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by benalvino(m): 4:26pm On Jul 22, 2013
hisblud:

Thanks for your best, apart from the video, i showed you bible verse didnt i? And that tongues are still valid... tho some might have abused it but nevertheless they are still valid.

no you didnt... i challenge you to put a comprehensive verses to support your ground while i rebuttal... what you did was take verse out of context. bring all your verses that support your views and i will take it to the next level.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by FearGodAndLive: 6:11pm On Jul 22, 2013
hisblud:

Is it possible to tell when speaking in tongues has been abused? How can one know one that's genuine? Please post Bible verses to support your stance.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 22, 2013
benalvino:

no you didnt... i challenge you to put a comprehensive verses to support your ground while i rebuttal... what you did was take verse out of context. bring all your verses that support your views and i will take it to the next level.
forget the video, what have we been showing each other, was it not scriptures.................

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why My Wife Is Divorcing Me” – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Finally Reveals / Time To Worship The African God / Mbaka: One Kobo Of Buhari's Money Has Never Entered My Hand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.