Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,527 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? (16278 Views)

Is Speaking In Tongue Learnt Or Received? / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by successjohnny(m): 8:42am On Oct 21, 2013
Pls take this. Anybody can tell you anything because they don't speak in tongues and they want to feel among the general class. Prayer is not compulsory but necessary. Praying in tongues is not compulsory but necessary if you communicate the will of God and handle issues that you may never know but the Holy Ghost. God is a Spirit, and to worship Him in spirit, get filled with His Spirit and develop the intimacy. Only a man that is filled with the Holy Ghost can tell you the truth on this issue. Thank you.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by john365: 9:28am On Oct 21, 2013
hisblud: To all those that disagree about praying in tongue as part of my prayer life, no need to argue rather i pray that the eyes of your understanding be enlightened to comprehend one of the foolishness of God that is wiser than men. God bless

you speak like you don't understand what speaking in tongue is all about, instead of channelling your energy and time to learning what is naturally a gift why not practice being good and when God choses HE will bless you with that gift, as long as i am concern speaking in tongue is not important, what is important is to be a Christain i.e Christ-like.
Please love is all you need as a christain and every other will fall into place, obedience is better than Sacrifice.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by iyes(m): 10:58am On Oct 21, 2013
What they call "speaking in tongue" in new age Nigerian pentecostal churches today is nothing but fraud.

I once attended a congregation where they made it a compulsory evidence and proof that one was "born again". It promptly became (and it still is) a fad. Anyone who didn't (and doesn't) "speak in tongue" was (is) not cool, and did (does) not belong.

The result was (and still is) that blabbing and gibberishing became (and still is) the in thing. And so members get pushed to become desperate to start faking and blab jargons. And to avoid embarrassment, many just copy and paste each other, or the pastors' way of "speaking in tongue"

However, as I did not see a reason why I should attempt to deceive God, besides, I desired better gifts that, I remained the odd man. I guess the pastor was uncomfortable with my stand, and so decided to help. That was when he arranged for me to join their "tongue speaking training class"

Wow! it was an eye-catching and unforgettable experience. If not that they had assumed that I was then a full member, they probably would not have let me into the secret. That's right, "tongue speaking training class" it was!!! There I met some new members and older ones who had just started to speak in tongue in the cingregation doing their practices, as the pastors and some elders mentored one person at a time, in repeat-after-me sessions.

I was asked to do same, but I refused, and I told my "teacher" that he was not Holy Spirit, which the Bible says will teach us! He complained to the senior pastor, the head of the school, and I remained adamant, and afterwards asked to go out and excused them.

From that moment on, our relationship became frosty, and I knew my days in the congregation was numbered. Eventually, I left, labelled a rebel.

Ever since then, I have since known why all members of same congregations "speak alike" in tongue. But the question that comes to my mind is that, why should people desire what has no beneficial value - especially to others, but only earns the speaker psychological benefit in form of respect?

The Bible makes it very clear that on the day of pentecost, when the christians started speaking in tongues, other people and strangers who heard them understood their different dialects and native tongues and languages, which the speakers did not speak or understood before Holy Spirit descended on them. What this tells me is that they spoke many foreign languages they they themselves did not understand, but which the natives and owners of such languages did decipher clearly.

Compare that to Nigerian "speaking in tongue" of today, and check for yourself; who is fooling whom?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by ajayikayod: 3:49pm On Oct 21, 2013
iyes: What they call "speaking in tongue" in new age Nigerian pentecostal churches today is nothing but fraud.

I once attended a congregation where they made it a compulsory evidence and proof that one was "born again". It promptly became (and it still is) a fad. Anyone who didn't (and doesn't) "speak in tongue" was (is) not cool, and did (does) not belong.

The result was (and still is) that blabbing and gibberishing became (and still is) the in thing. And so members get pushed to become desperate to start faking and blab jargons. And to avoid embarrassment, many just copy and paste each other, or the pastors' way of "speaking in tongue"

However, as I did not see a reason why I should attempt to deceive God, besides, I desired better gifts that, I remained the odd man. I guess the pastor was uncomfortable with my stand, and so decided to help. That was when he arranged for me to join their "tongue speaking training class"

Wow! it was an eye-catching and unforgettable experience. If not that they had assumed that I was then a full member, they probably would not have let me into the secret. That's right, "tongue speaking training class" it was!!! There I met some new members and older ones who had just started to speak in tongue in the cingregation doing their practices, as the pastors and some elders mentored one person at a time, in repeat-after-me sessions.

I was asked to do same, but I refused, and I told my "teacher" that he was not Holy Spirit, which the Bible says will teach us! He complained to the senior pastor, the head of the school, and I remained adamant, and afterwards asked to go out and excused them.

From that moment on, our relationship became frosty, and I knew my days in the congregation was numbered. Eventually, I left, labelled a rebel.

Ever since then, I have since known why all members of same congregations "speak alike" in tongue. But the question that comes to my mind is that, why should people desire what has no beneficial value - especially to others, but only earns the speaker psychological benefit in form of respect?

The Bible makes it very clear that on the day of pentecost, when the christians started speaking in tongues, other people and strangers who heard them understood their different dialects and native tongues and languages, which the speakers did not speak or understood before Holy Spirit descended on them. What this tells me is that they spoke many foreign languages they they themselves did not understand, but which the natives and owners of such languages did decipher clearly.

Compare that to Nigerian "speaking in tongue" of today, and check for yourself; who is fooling whom?

Bros, i believe u hav a good heart towards d gift of God.

1st i ll lik 2point out dt its really sad u experienced such humanly taught "speaking in tongue" among brethen; many things can happen when d our Faith, teachings and doctrines dont rest on d Power of God by His Spirit.

2ndly, D experience u described above (not doubting u) may not b enough to justify ur 1st statement dt: What they call "speaking in tongue" in new age Nigerian pentecostal churches today is nothing but fraud. Dts too broad to b fixed on a single experience wit one assembly.Its lik witnessing a "forged miracle", then we say "miracles dont happen, every miracle is a fake/lie". or "saying because toyota produced a car wit bad brake in a particular year then all toyota car brakes is a joke".

D existence of a fake is not a proof of d non existence of d original. Infact most times d existence of fake shows dt original dey. Speaking in tongues is a reality of d Newbirth and its given to all believers. To give is one tin, to reciev is another.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by iyes(m): 4:24pm On Oct 21, 2013
I'm not saying real speaking in tongue does not exist, my point is that about 99% must be fake!

Speaking in tongue is the least of gifts in worth of value, but modern Nigerian christians concentrate on it more because it is the most glamorous of all gifts. I mean, you tend to earn instant shine and respect more in the eyes of others with it, even if nothing comes out of it.

As for me, I'd rather have any of the other gifts and not speak in tongue any day.

Another angle to it is that one has to be very careful not to fall prey of devil's pranks, which the Bible warns us about, where we were told to test all spirits. This is particularly important because since "speaking in tongue" is controlled by the spirit, the devil, being the smart alec that he is, will easily infilterate that aspect, and since it is hard to tell the fake, especially when babbing of incomprehensibles are involved. Don't discountenance this possibility because the devil always mimicks the real and even misleads, even the elect.

I have learnt not to trust people "going into the spirit" because there are spirits and there are spirits too. I've witnessed more than twice where traditional religionist went into the spirit, and even fell under anointing into trance while carrying out idol worshipping. No be say dem say, dem say. Na my korokoro eyes I take see them.

What if this sort of spirit is the one making some people blab?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Benten401(m): 4:47pm On Oct 21, 2013
we speak in tongues through d help of d holyspirit and nt everybody would speak in tongues unless d spirit of God has enveloped u. And wen u speak in tongues u connect urself 2 d reigm of d spirit.
When u try 2 forge ur speaking in tongues u sin against d spirit of God.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by TSumthin: 6:01pm On Oct 21, 2013
If you like speak in teeth. On the day of judgement, we ll see who stands for God.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Robinsteve: 6:48pm On Oct 21, 2013
[quote author=FearGodAndLive]
Good day Brother, speaking in tongues is not compulsory for Christians. Remember my advice to you earlier. Do not get involved in arguments that do not add to your salvation.

Speaking in tongues, prophecy etc are all gifts that the Lord willingly chooses to give to each one according to His purpose not ours. Remember to focus on the most important..

1 Corinthians 12
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.And yet I will show you the most excellent way.

The next chapter is a lesson for all of us: Learn to love for that's all you need to be Christian.

u are really in d spirit dude. Tnx 4 d correction
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Robinsteve: 6:49pm On Oct 21, 2013
[quote author=FearGodAndLive]
Good day Brother, speaking in tongues is not compulsory for Christians. Remember my advice to you earlier. Do not get involved in arguments that do not add to your salvation.

Speaking in tongues, prophecy etc are all gifts that the Lord willingly chooses to give to each one according to His purpose not ours. Remember to focus on the most important..

1 Corinthians 12
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.And yet I will show you the most excellent way.

The next chapter is a lesson for all of us: Learn to love for that's all you need to be Christian.

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by ajayikayod: 7:24pm On Oct 21, 2013
Robin.steve:

1 Corinthians 12

Hmmm bro, actually, u dont become a christian by loving, u r first a christian wit love birth in ur heart dts why u can love. Wat love can a man outside Christ really have? Nothing.
2ndly we ar to earnestly desire spiritual gifts, dt include speakin in tongues. Tanx
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Prodigalson1(m): 3:21am On Oct 22, 2013
Christians vs Christians, '' a house divided against itself cannot stand'' -no wonder the state of churches today. 1 Bible ' WORD OF GOD' different interpretations by mere men. Hmmmmmm, only God knows
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by Prodigalson1(m): 3:22am On Oct 22, 2013
Christians vs Christians, '' a house divided against itself cannot stand'' -no wonder the state of churches today. 1 Bible ' WORD OF GOD' different interpretations by mere men. Hmmmmmm, only God knows
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by vooks: 2:50pm On Oct 23, 2014

Jude 1:10 King James Version (KJV)

10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? by azaino: 7:24pm On Dec 06, 2014
hardeywhale22:

wrong interpretation of His word
if speaking in tongue is a special gift not all His disciples will be beneficial of it....conclusion : speaking in tongue is essential for all christian .....speaking in tongue is a language satan never understand.....

Lol, for your mind, is this what your pastor tells you, a girls once told me that their pastor use to force her to learn how to speak in tongue.....i.e the babababababkakakakakakikiki rotosonto kibokibokibo style, and that she has tried it and couldn't do it. This is like forcing a member to heal a sick person. The problem with Christian of today is that the are so lazy to open their bible, they resort to whatever their pastor admonishes them to do

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

God And His Angels. / N300K Church Money Turns To Paper In Jos / Six Reasons You Should Accept Jesus As Lord And Saviour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.