Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,735 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs (982 Views)

Stop Sending Your Deportees To Nigeria – ​FG Warns ECOWAS Member States / FG Warns Buhari Against Running Parallel Government / So It's True That My Mbaka Have Started Meddling With A Renowned Terrorist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by mojounited(m): 2:58am On Jul 20, 2013
Posted by: Channels Television Posted date: July 19, 2013

Nigeria would no longer tolerate the meddling of the international community in the internal affairs of the country. This was the warning of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Olugbenga Ashiru when he read the riot act to diplomats in Abuja on Friday during a session to address issues of oil theft, terrorism, death sentence, gay rights amongst others that relate to Nigeria and the international community.

The Minister lamented the constant meddling and pressures the international community places on Nigeria especially on issues of death sentence and the gay marriage.

He cautioned the diplomats against making comments on political issues that “amounted to undue interference in Nigeria’s internal affairs.”

“Some ambassadors and their diplomats have been hob-nobbing with civil society groups and opposition parties in the country. This is incompatible with the status of diplomatic missions or agents. We will not hesitate to identify and deal with erring missions that fail to respect Nigeria’s sensitivities and sovereignty” Mr. Ashiru declared.

The envoy urged the diplomats to enable their governments understand Nigeria’s perspectives on gay rights and death penalty. He said the country’s criminal code contains provisions for death sentence for now and review could happen in the nearest future.

“On gay rights, I must stress that this is not in accord with the culture and beliefs of the generality of Nigerians. I, therefore, appeal to the international community through you to show greater understanding of the culture and traditions of our people,” he said.

He warned that Nigeria does not meddle in the business of other nations and should not be manipulated otherwise.

Read more: http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/07/19/nigeria-warns-international-community-over-meddling-with-nations-affairs/
Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by Gold2NairaCom(m): 3:00am On Jul 20, 2013
Ok
Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by mojounited(m): 3:17am On Jul 20, 2013
Recently, GEJ visited China to sign MoUs related to infrastructural development and back-stage Military pact after Obama snubbed Nigeria during his visit to Africa. Also, FG announced withdrawal of Nigerian troops from Dafur (Sudan) and Mali to spite the UN after it appointed a Rwandan to lead the UN African-PKO mission in Mali (despite the fact that Nigeria contributes the highest peace keeping force in Africa and fourth in the world - with vast experience) shocked

Following recent events and from the above, without mincing words, it appears that, for once, GEJ/FG have grown the biggest pair of b@lls in dealing with international politics and will not submit to being anyone's puppet. #Way to go FG cheesy

2 Likes

Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by princesammmy: 3:26am On Jul 20, 2013
hmmm
Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by koruji(m): 3:47am On Jul 20, 2013
In the hands of a more competent individual these actions would make sense, but not in the hands of GEJ.

I have watched over the last week or so as the GEJ goons swooned over his visit to China - some kind of "take dat" to President Obama. You people fail to see the comedic irony, because:
1. GEJ went to China as a borrower, not as an equal partner, but as a "borrower".
2. Who was the Chinese president visiting a couple of weeks before GEJ went to China?

You cannot substitute bravado for wisdom...

mojounited: Recently, GEJ visited China to sign MoUs related to infrastructural development and back-stage Military pact after Obama snubbed Nigeria during his visit to Africa. Also, FG announced withdrawal of Nigerian troops from Dafur (Sudan) and Mali to spite the UN after it appointed a Rwandan to lead the UN African-PKO mission in Mali (despite the fact that Nigeria contributes the highest peace keeping force in Africa and fourth in the world - with vast experience) shocked

Following recent events and from the above, without mincing words, it appears that, for once, GEJ/FG have grown the biggest pair of b@lls in dealing with international politics and will not submit to being anyone's puppet. #Way to go FG cheesy
Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by manny4life(m): 4:20am On Jul 20, 2013
koruji: In the hands of a more competent individual these actions would make sense, but not in the hands of GEJ.

I have watched over the last week or so as the GEJ goons swooned over his visit to China - some kind of "take dat" to President Obama. You people fail to see the comedic irony, because:
1. GEJ went to China as a borrower, not as an equal partner, but as a "borrower".
2. Who was the Chinese president visiting a couple of weeks before GEJ went to China?

At times it amazes me how you people are saddened and bitter to the core. I will break down your itemized points.

So what if he went as a borrower? Hasn't U.S. traveled to China ( previously by Tim Geithner)? Or hasn't any other country done so? How does borrowing impact on being trading partners? Your logic is not ONLY flawed, but I also question your reasoning. GEJ's trip was to increase Bilateral trade and investment relationship with China.

What I fail to understand is equal partners in what exactly? China is loaning Nigeria money, just like it loaned U.S., Britain, Europe, Mexico, South Africa, etc, how is Nigeria any different and how has that negated the fact that they have a good trading partnership and equal understanding?

Using your flawed logic, China and US debt relations, should we now assume that U.S. owing China more than $1trillion in debt that doesn't make U.S. a partner in trade? The day you people STOP the hate, perhaps you can see the light

Here you come again with your priceless theory, Chinese president was on an America's Tour for a two-day summit where president Obama as well as four other America's leaders where present. The trip wasn't about Obama only, but China wanting to strengthen her ties in the American continent. So please, stop quoting out of context, after all, the same papers stated "tensions rising" as President Xi visits Americas. His visit was not because he wanted to bow before Obama or trip to him, but his trip was indirectly to tell America "Bleep YOU". We are here to invest in other Americas, something U.S. couldn't do.

In other words, GEJ has gotten some balls to spit fire, so whether you like it or not, he's on fire.

1 Like

Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by mojounited(m): 4:38am On Jul 20, 2013
koruji: In the hands of a more competent individual these actions would make sense, but not in the hands of GEJ.

Oi listen, I am not here to praise an individual or party... I am only happy that for once the FG have decided not to cow to international pressure but to stand up for Nigerians and what we believe in - our culture, norms and values. My point did not only address the state visit to China, but other diplomacies to shove back pressures of foreign powers where the sun doesn't shine #Did you even bother to open the link and read the whole article before pouncing on your keyboard? It clarifies issues and Nigeria's position on death sentence, gay rights, piracy and crude oil theft by foreigners, Sudanese President's visit, et al...whereby pressure is being applied on Nigeria by foreign powers.

My point is:

*Some states in the US still serve capital punishment (death sentence) to offenders but Human Rights Activists have kept mum only to dabble into our affairs.

*UN has disrespected Nigeria despite being the largest country in Africa on peace keeping missions - Liberia, SL, Dafur, Congo, Ivory Coast, etc. What experience and military tact does Rwanda have over Nigeria on peace keeping missions, that a Rwandan is appointed to lead West African contingent when a Nigerian is there?

*News Agencies keep telling bare-faced lies and reporting trash despite our positives and progress made in fighting against boko haram terror, citing extra judicial killings, Baga mass grave, the military being stretched or not just good enough... How many people have the US killed with drone strikes in the middle east? Haow many has CNN, BBC, Al Jazeera reported?

*Obama was in the middle east to address issues even when war against terror was boiling. Mc Cain was in Syria to support the rebels amidst gun battles more deadly than what we've experienced here in NE Nigeria...yet Obama couldn't visit, citing security issues. Meanwhile, we've been doing US bidding and serving their interest since time immemorial - our support against Al-Gaddafi. The state visit to China was to show that, as the most populous black nation, we can make other allies within a snap of the finger.

So tell me, is it not time we took a stand as a sovereign nation and call their bluff? #Keep your crappy party talk and power tussle in disguise to yourself mate.

3 Likes

Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by ojubi(m): 10:04am On Jul 20, 2013
AND WHY IS NO AFRICAN GOVT. CONDEMNING THE US. FOR ACQUITTING GEORGE ZIMMAMAN FOR SHOOTING AND KILLING TREYVO MARTINS CITING THE USELESS "STAND YOUR GROUND LAW"?
Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:19am On Jul 20, 2013
This western folks should try and accept polygamous marriage.....we will think about homosexual from there
Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 20, 2013
This is a right call kudos to FG !!!
Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by 5columnist: 11:00am On Jul 20, 2013
I rep my green passport for life.

1 Like

Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by koruji(m): 3:13pm On Jul 20, 2013
You are missing the point of my post, which is that the incompetence and pettiness of GEJ makes all these potentially laudable moves mute. Such actions may be commendable in the proper context, but not under Mr. GEJ.

I don't know where you were, but not too long ago when we complained about the same incompetence of GEJ, guess what he told us. Here is a quote: "As reported by Vanguard of September 26, 2011, during a speech at a Lagos church in response to unremitting national criticisms against him, Jonathan said, “I just got back from the US. The President of America is like the president of the world because it is the most powerful country…. Obama when he spoke commended Nigeria but back home we are being abused.” http://weeklytrust.com.ng/index.php/notes-from-atlanta/11981-state-pardon-5-reasons-jonathan-can-t-appeal-to-sovereignty

So, now because President Obama doesn't give him face time anymore GEJ is running to the President of China, and trying to spite Obama in the process - as if the latter gives a hoot. When your rulership is about seeking legitimacy from other presidents, and not your people, you show complete incompetence.

In addition, you cannot compare the US to Nigeria. If you must know, the US was instrumental in developing China, but CHINA DID THE WORK NECESSARY to make that happen. First, when the US began to invest in China back in the 70s/80s the Chinese authorities DID NOT seek to borrow from the US to build their infrastructure. No, the Chinese instead put together very able domestic infrastructure companies to meet the needs of US investment. Second, as the US began to invest in industries whose products would be exported to the US at lower prices the Chinese kept their eyes peeled. They put together an astute innovation system and copied whatever technology the US was bringing in. You point to the US as a borrower from China, but I will have you know that most US debt are owed to her citizens - and the borrowing from China occurred because the US got carried away with the "low price" goods from China. Many Chinese companies are still owned by Americans, Americans have suffered the pains of getting carried away, but most importantly they are "painfully" doing something about it.

Let's compare and contrast that to what Nigeria does. We never learn any lessons. The large inflow of foreign currency over the last decade should, in the hands of competent administrators, have been used to transform this country. Instead, even as oil prices still remain higher than it should be GEJ is going cap-in-hand to borrow more money from China to finance roads and such in Nigeria. This is what I mean by not as an equal partner. GEJ did not go to China to seek areas where Nigerians could invest or to promote any other avenue for trade. Rather, it is this: we'll send more oil your way to [size=14pt]lend us money so you can build[/size] our roads for us.

This same idiotic approach is what got us into the mess with the Paris club where we borrowed $12 billion to build roads and other projects (many of which never saw the light of day). After paying about $12 billion we were still owing another $30 billion. All we have done this time is replace Julius Berger with CECC.

I am not even going to address your attempt to distort the nature of the Chinese leader's summit with Obama other than to say that it is a good illustration of what a visit based on equal partnership should be.

Nobody is "saddened and bitter to the core" - that is simply your imagination. The incompetence of GEJ in the face of his mouthings of "transformation" is what is sad. And then to think that the man responds to every criticism with pettiness is particularly disturbing.

Now you say he has got balls to "spit fire" - the only problem is that he will only burn himself in the process. It is actually more like coughing up sparks. What is he going to do when China decides they have had enough too? Romance the Italian president? If you are not paying attention, GEJ's visit to China was not as successful as he had hoped - at least according to his measure. He was actually hoping to borrow at least $3 billion, but instead got $1.1 billion from China.

[size=14pt]What will GEJ do come 2014 & 2015 if the oil price really goes south?[/size]

manny4life:
At times it amazes me how you people are saddened and bitter to the core. I will break down your itemized points.

So what if he went as a borrower? Hasn't U.S. traveled to China ( previously by Tim Geithner)? Or hasn't any other country done so? How does borrowing impact on being trading partners? Your logic is not ONLY flawed, but I also question your reasoning. GEJ's trip was to increase Bilateral trade and investment relationship with China.

What I fail to understand is equal partners in what exactly? China is loaning Nigeria money, just like it loaned U.S., Britain, Europe, Mexico, South Africa, etc, how is Nigeria any different and how has that negated the fact that they have a good trading partnership and equal understanding?

Using your flawed logic, China and US debt relations, should we now assume that U.S. owing China more than $1trillion in debt that doesn't make U.S. a partner in trade? The day you people STOP the hate, perhaps you can see the light

Here you come again with your priceless theory, Chinese president was on an America's Tour for a two-day summit where president Obama as well as four other America's leaders where present. The trip wasn't about Obama only, but China wanting to strengthen her ties in the American continent. So please, stop quoting out of context, after all, the same papers stated "tensions rising" as President Xi visits Americas. His visit was not because he wanted to bow before Obama or trip to him, but his trip was indirectly to tell America "Bleep YOU". We are here to invest in other Americas, something U.S. couldn't do.

In other words, GEJ has gotten some balls to spit fire, so whether you like it or not, he's on fire.
Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by koruji(m): 3:20pm On Jul 20, 2013
I understand these issues and mostly agree with you, but the real problem we have is that our supposed leaders are worse than colonialists.

Compare these so-called "actions" to what GEJ said when the relationship between him and Obama was still cordial: "As reported by Vanguard of September 26, 2011, during a speech at a Lagos church in response to unremitting national criticisms against him, Jonathan said, “I just got back from the US. The President of America is like the president of the world because it is the most powerful country…. Obama when he spoke commended Nigeria but back home we are being abused.” http://weeklytrust.com.ng/index.php/notes-from-atlanta/11981-state-pardon-5-reasons-jonathan-can-t-appeal-to-sovereignty

A leader who says the above to his people has no wisdom, and his so-called "actions" now are merely bravado, and shadow-boxing. There is a reason why they say "patriotism is the last refuge of the...".

mojounited:
Oi listen, I am not here to praise an individual or party... I am only happy that for once the FG have decided not to cow to international pressure but to stand up for Nigerians and what we believe in - our culture, norms and values. My point did not only address the state visit to China, but other diplomacies to shove back pressures of foreign powers where the sun doesn't shine #Did you even bother to open the link and read the whole article before pouncing on your keyboard? It clarifies issues and Nigeria's position on death sentence, gay rights, piracy and crude oil theft by foreigners, Sudanese President's visit, et al...whereby pressure is being applied on Nigeria by foreign powers.

My point is:

*Some states in the US still serve capital punishment (death sentence) to offenders but Human Rights Activists have kept mum only to dabble into our affairs.

*UN has disrespected Nigeria despite being the largest country in Africa on peace keeping missions - Liberia, SL, Dafur, Congo, Ivory Coast, etc. What experience and military tact does Rwanda have over Nigeria on peace keeping missions, that a Rwandan is appointed to lead West African contingent when a Nigerian is there?

*News Agencies keep telling bare-faced lies and reporting trash despite our positives and progress made in fighting against boko haram terror, citing extra judicial killings, Baga mass grave, the military being stretched or not just good enough... How many people has the US killed with drone strikes in the middle east? Have many has CNN, BBC, Al Jazeera reported?

*Obama was in the middle east to address issues even when war against terror was boiling. Mc Cain was in Syria to support the rebels amidst gun battles more deadly than what we've experienced here in NE Nigeria...yet Obama couldn't visit, citing security issues. Meanwhile, we've been doing US bidding and serving their interest since time immemorial - our support against Al-Gaddafi. The state visit to China was to show that, as the most populous black nation, we can make other allies within a snap of the finger.

So tell me, is it not time we took a stand as a sovereign nation and call their bluff? #Keep your crappy party talk and power tussle in disguise to yourself mate.
Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by koruji(m): 3:33pm On Jul 20, 2013
Why would they do that? African governments daily kill and main in worse ways.
As for the US, this incident should be an eye-opener for blacks in the world - racism is alive, well and kicking.
What is most saddening still is that it is difficult for us to turn homewards for respite.
No, the neo-colonialists governments will do worse to us, and in broad daylight too!!!

I hope the case of Trayvon Martin becomes another touchstone for the cause of black people in America. If this incident does not lead to serious reforms of the American justice system, or at least those of states like Florida where these kinds of incidents are becoming a daily occurrence, then the "A" at the end of USA may look more like "Afghanistan" 100 years hence!!!

ojubi: AND WHY IS NO AFRICAN GOVT. CONDEMNING THE US. FOR ACQUITTING GEORGE ZIMMAMAN FOR SHOOTING AND KILLING TREYVO MARTINS CITING THE USELESS "STAND YOUR GROUND LAW"?
Re: FG Warns International Community Over Meddling With Nation’s Affairs by mensdept: 3:51pm On Jul 20, 2013
First of all, Nigeria cannot warn any country to do anything. Nigeria cannot even deal with MEND or Boko Haram, or even punish corrupt officials aka Orji Kalu, Gbenga Daniel, all Sharia former and current governors, IBB and the likes. Nigeria cannot even build within 4 years an international airport at Enugu, or maintain their national stadium Abuja. Nigeria finds it difficult to budget wisely for its people, but are always wanting to borrow from Oyibo billions on top of bllions. If it's to have the most pastors or private jets, or to tie gele, then yes, we are the Giant of AFrica.

Other than that, the Minister is just playing to the gallery.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Miss Rivers State Calls For Peace Over Intriguing Political Crisis In The State! / Revealed: President Jonathan Plans To Arrest Obasanjo, Atiku! / In Israel, Deputy Senate President Recruited To Save Stella Oduah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.