Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,889 members, 7,838,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Islam And Under Age Marriage! - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam And Under Age Marriage! (29886 Views)

Islam And Obedience To Leaders / Senator Yerimah Clears The Air On The Issue Of 'under Age Marriage' / Islam's Position On Paedophilia And Marriage Of Under-age Girls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by Btruth: 3:57pm On Jul 21, 2013
abdulkayus: The "Under-age" Marriage with consummation (I.e. carnal knowledge, sexual intercourse) is not permitted in Islam, a girl has to reach the age of puberty before marriage can be consummated (I.e. carnal knowledge, sexual intercourse) .

But Islam permits the betrothal, engagement and marriage of a girl even at birth and of-course this has always been the practice of many cultures in Africa and the world over.
However , the girl might grow up and refused to be married to the man she is betrothed, engaged or married to at birth - either due to religion or lack of love.
Her permission must be sought before the marriage could be consummated. There is no forced marriage in Islam.

The Prophet (Peace and blessings of God be upon him) did not approve of forced marriage.
He [the best of mankind] (saw) is the best example for us to follow. Allahu Allam....Allah knows best.

@ Brother Abdulkayus, God bless you for shedding more light into this from the words of Prophet Muhammad. I knew that prophet will never have supported this kind of unlawful acts anyway.

Knowledge they say is light. Let our dear Senator & his crew go back and study their quaran very well before they will start preying on our little baby girls on the street.

Shalom.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by vedaxcool(m): 3:57pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey:

If I'm to join your FOOLyandry,I'll state tons of sites that says he married aisha @ that age and with the backings of some of their scholars. Continue ur internet 'search-and-beleive-everything' style,it is permitted.

first you said quran said, now tons of websites, bros I details trip for your lies, wellllllllldone, if you don't post the verse of the quran that said such we would have to Seattle with the fact that u r liar for Christianity, practising evangelism by lies.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by LagosShia: 4:02pm On Jul 21, 2013
stopit: Guy I think d best thing to do is to state facts from your quoran because d senators and others cited facts about prophet mohammed having canal knowledge of aisha at age 9.so if you want to contradict their statements please cite facts,because we hear that this takes place in the north and most of them do this and believe it was cited by prophet mohammed.

CHECK THE BELOW

Notes: (AISHA WAS NOT 9 YEARS OLD OR A CHILD WHEN THE PROPHET MARRIED HER)
[8] The popular version of ‘Ãisha’s youth age has been exploited by the anti-Islamic groups to attack the Prophet “for marrying a child”. The fact of the matter is that Lady ‘Ãisha was not a child when she was married in 2 AH to the Prophet. At-Tabari, the famous Muslim historian, writes that Abu Bakr’s first two wives and their children were all born in the pre-Islamic era. (Ta’rīkh at-Tabari, vol. 2 [Beirut: al-A‘lami, n.d.] p. 616.) Based on this, even if she was born a year before the commencement of Islam, ‘Ãisha would be 15 or 16 years old at the time of her marriage to the Prophet – an age in which marriage is common in most cultures. Ibn Kathīr, in his al-Bidãyah wa ’n-Nihãyah (vol. 8, p. 381) states that Asmã’ bint Abu Bakr, the sister of ‘Ãisha, was ten years older than ‘Ãisha. He also reports that Asmã’ died in the year 73 AH at the age of 100. Based on this calculation, ‘Ãisha was 18 or 19 years old at the time of her marriage.

https://www.nairaland.com/846958/tell-me-why-mohammed-married#9975134

https://www.nairaland.com/846958/tell-me-why-mohammed-married#9975159:

[size=14pt]WAS AISHA REALLY 9 YEAR OLD WHEN PROPHET MUHAMMAD (sa) MARRIED HER? PLEASE WATCH BELOW:[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXCvnposB1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o6sjyuoSUc&NR=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWsDhOqpkY

A'isha was not a child when the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) married her

Section : Articles || Date : 2010 / 06 / 17 || Reading : 13534

This article is the transcription of a lecture delivered by Shia Muslim scholar His Eminence Allama Sheikh Yasser Al-Habib

Enemies of Islam – be they Christians, Jews or other groups have often used the matter of the Prophet's marriage (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) to A'isha as a weapon against this Great Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family). They rely on that which was spread by A'isha about her having been married off to the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) when she was a girl of six and that he consummated his marriage to her when she was a girl of only nine. They say: "Look at how this old man married an innocent little girl young enough to be his granddaughter when he was over fifty years old! How could he live with himself taking away her childhood to satisfy his own needs? What sort of a Prophet is this who does something so inhumane?"

In spite of the fact that the account of the Prophet's marriage (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) to A'isha when she was a child is not told by anyone else but A'isha herself – we find no hadith nabawi or any other hadith from a reliable source about it – the enemies of Islam continue to spread these lies dreamt up by A'isha without any proper historical research. They just rely on the accounts to be found in the Bakri (i.e. Sunni) sect's sources.

In fact those with a grudge against the Master of Prophets (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) have exploited the fabricated hadith spread by A'isha through which she wanted to make people think that for the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family), she was the youngest, most radiant, most beautiful and the favourite among his wives. Her claim that she was just a delicate and innocent child who was ripped away from her swing on which she used to play with her little friends when her mother shouted out to her and led her away so roughly that she could hardly catch her breath – without her knowing what was going to happen or what she was wanted for – to take her to the house of the Prophet who frightened her when he walked in on her when the bitter truth became clear to her that she had suddenly become a wife.

Firstly, let us shed light on the hadith fabricated by A'isha. Bukhari narrates on the authority of Hisham on the authority of his father on the authority of A'isha who said: "The Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) married me when I was a girl of six. We went to Medina and stayed at the home of Bani al-Harith Ibn Khazraj. Then I got ill and my hair fell out. Later on my hair grew back and my mother, Umm Ruman, came to me while I was playing in a swing with some of my friends. She called me, and I went to her, not knowing what she wanted to do to me. She caught me by the hand and made me stand at the door of the house. I was breathless then, and when my breathing settled down, she took some water and rubbed my face and head with it. Then she took me into the house. There in the house I saw some Ansari women who said, "Best wishes and Allah's Blessing and good luck." Then she entrusted me to them and they prepared me (for the marriage). Unexpectedly Allah's Apostle came to me in the forenoon and my mother handed me over to him, and at that time I was a girl of nine years of age." (Sahih al-Bukhari vol 4 p251 and Sahih Muslim vol 4 p141).

In another hadith A'isha paints a picture of what happened to her in another scenario no less full of tragedy than the last because she claims that her mother sat her down – when she was just a poor child – on the lap of her husband who treated her cheaply and consummated his marriage to her in the house of her father. No wedding banquet was laid on for her to celebrate her marriage to him. No one else even brought them anything to eat!"

Ibn Hanbal reports on the authority of A'isha that she said, "My mother came to me while I was being swung on a swing between two branches and got me down. My nurse took over and wiped my face with some water and started leading me. When I was at the door she stopped so I could catch my breath. I was brought in while Muhammad was sitting on a bed in our house. Men and women from the Ansar were with him. She sat me down on his lap. Then, she said: "This is your family. May Allah bless you with them and may Allah bless them with you. The men and women jumped up and went out and the Messenger of Allah consummated his marriage to me in our house. No camel was slaughtered for me and no sheep was slaughtered for me until Sa'd Ibn Ibada sent us a bowl of grapes, something he would send to the Messenger of Allah whenever he would go round to his wives. At that time I was a girl of nine." (Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal vol 6, p211)

In order to back up her claim that she was an innocent child who did not understand what was going on around her, she came up with another account in which she claimed that when she got married to the Prophet, (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) she still had the dolls and figures she used to play with.

Muslim reports on the authority of Urwa on the authority of A'isha: "The Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) married her when she was a girl of seven and she was taken to his house as a bride when she was nine, and her dolls were with her; and when he (the Holy Prophet) died she was eighteen years old." (Sahih Muslim vol 4 p142)

Moreover she claimed that she carried on playing with her dolls even after her move to the marital home and that the Greatest Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) would find it soothing and would help her play with her little friends even though they would run away from him because they were scared of him.

Muslim reported on the authority of Hisham Ibn Urwa on the authority of A'isha, "That she used to play with girls in the presence of the Messenger of Allah (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family). She said, 'My friends would come to me and would hide from the Messenger of Allah!' She said: 'So the Messenger of Allah would call to them to play with me." (Sahih Muslim vol 7 p135 and similarly Sahih Ibn Hiban vol 13 p174 and Mu'jam al-Tabarani vol 23 p21).

Ibn Sa'd reports on the authority of Urwa on the authority of A'isha that she said, "The Messenger of Allah walked in on me one day while I was playing with some girls and he said, 'What is this, A'isha?' So she said Sulayman's horse and he laughed." (Al-Tabaqat al-Kubra by Ibn Sa'd vol 8 p62).

This is how A'isha tried to hold together this fictitious account of her being young when she married the Greatest Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) except that no matter how hard the creators of the false account tried to hold it together, it just falls apart as one can see. Now let us respond to these lies in line with scientific and historical facts, even those recorded in sources belonging to the Bakri sect.

Firstly, if A'isha's claims had been true, she would not have contradicted herself. We have already seen the discrepancy between her saying that when she got married she was "a girl of six" and her saying "a girl of seven". Both statements are reported on the authority of her nephew 'Urwa'.

Secondly, Bukhari narrates on the authority of Hisham on the authority of his father who said, "Khadija passed away three years before the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) left for Madina. He let two years pass, more or less and then he married A'isha, a girl of six. Then he consummated his marriage to her when she was a girl of nine." (Sahih al-Bukhari vol 4 p252)

The opponents [to Ahlulbayt i.e. al-mukhalifun] treat this hadith as if it is also narrated on the authority of A'isha herself for Ibn Hajar says, "This appears mursal but given that it is narrated by 'Urwa', what with his detailed knowledge of A'isha's life story it is also deemed to be narrated on her authority." (Fath al-Bari fi Sharh Sahih al-Bukhari by Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani vol 7 p175)

This hadith would mean that A'isha's wedding could only have taken place the year before the hijra in view of the fact that she was a girl of six, because after Khadija's passing (Allah's blessings upon Her) the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) let two years pass, more or less, without remarrying. Khadija (Peace be upon Her) passed away three years before the hijra. Then, His having consummated His marriage to A'isha when she was a girl of nine could only have taken place two years after the hijra because this is the time interval between when she was six and when she was nine. A'isha would only have been nine two years after the hijra. On this basis the length of time she lived with the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) could not have been more than eight years because as everyone knows He became a martyr in year ten (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family).

This contradicts what A'isha claimed according to Muslim's hadith mentioned above – which said that she was taken as a bride, along with her dolls to the Prophet's house (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) when she was a girl of nine and that he died when she was a girl of eighteen which means that she lived with him for nine years. This is confirmed in another hadith narrated by Bukhari on the authority of Hisham on the authority of his father, also on the authority of A'isha: "The Prophet married her when she was a girl of six and she was taken to his house when she was a girl of nine and she lived with him for nine years" (Sahih al-Bukhari vol 6 p134).

The hadiths cancel each other out. If the first is authentic, then the length of time A'isha lived with the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) was not nine years and if the second is authentic, then the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) did not marry her the year before the hijra or two years after the Mother of the Believers Khadija al-Kubra's passed away.

This is another contradiction A'isha has dropped herself into even though both sayings are narrated along the same chain [of narration] i.e. Hisham on the authority of her nephew Urwa. This contradiction obviously shows up the lie and fabrication. The Bakri (i.e. Sunni) sect cannot mitigate by saying something like these hadith are weak because they have decided that they are all authentic and to be without a doubt on the authority of A'isha.

Thirdly A'isha claimed that the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) said, "Oh Allah! In particular, strengthen Islam with Omar Ibn al-Khattab." (Mustadrak al-Hakim vol 3 p83).
We are not in the process of refuting this hadith, or proving that it was fabricated by A'isha; we only wanted to rely on it to prove a point. We say that this hadith is claimed to have been uttered before Omar had begun pretending to be a Muslim on the pretext that his Islam had come as an answer to the Messenger of Allah's du'a (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family). A'isha claims that she heard it from the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) and that she narrates it directly from him.

According to the Bakri sect Omar's conversion to Islam was in the sixth year after the Prophetic Mission had begun i.e. about seven years before the hijra. It was stated above that A'isha was a girl of six the year before the hijra which means that seven years before the hijra she was still either in her mother's womb or a suckling babe incapable of rational thought. How could she have heard or been aware of this hadith allegedly uttered by the Holiest Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family)?

If what she claimed about her being young and her being a girl of six when she got married, she had no business falsely attributing this fabricated hadith to the Messenger of Allah (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family). And if it was not authentic then the point is still proven i.e. that she was much older than that because according to the claim, she heard the hadith, understood it and narrated it.
This is a third contradiction to add to the aforementioned contradictions which prove that it is a fabrication and a lie but what is most damaging of all is that they are all narrated through an authentic chain of transmission on the authority of Hisham on the authority of his father 'Urwa'. How does one escape that?

Fourthly: Ibn Qutayba says by way of comment on A'isha's hadith about her marriage when she was a girl of nine: "…And she lived until the time when Mu'awiya was the Caliph and she passed away in the year fifty eight when she was nearly seventy. She was asked, "Shall we bury you next to the Messenger of Allah?" She replied, "But I did wrong. Bury me with my sisters." So she was buried in the Baqi' [cemetery] and she appointed Abdallah Ibn Zubayr as her executor. (Al-Ma'arif by Ibn Qutayba p29).

Al-Birri said, "She passed away in the fifty ninth year after the hijra towards the end of Mu'awiya's reign as Caliph. She was nearly seventy. It was on a Monday night, the night before the seventeenth of Ramadan." (Al-Jawhara fi Nisab al-Nabi wa Ashabihi al-'Ashara by Al-Birri vol 1 p216).

Ibn Abd Rabbih said, "After his death, she lived on right up to the days of Mu'awiya and she died in the fifty eighth year. She was nearly seventy. (Al-Iqd al-Farid by Ibn Abd Rabbih vol 2 p71).

Al-Maqdisi said, "He married A'isha in Makkah the year before the hijra (…) A'isha passed away during the time of Mu'awiya. She was nearly seventy. He said to her, "Should we not bury you in your house with the Messenger of Allah?" She replied, "No. I did wrong after His death." (Al-bid' wa al-Tarikh by Al-Maqdisi vol 1 p260).

On this basis, A'isha's age would have been roughly twelve the year before the hijra, the year in which the Greatest Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) married her (as mentioned above). What a far cry this is from her saying that she was a girl of six or seven!".

Even if we were to work on the presumption that what they meant by "nearly seventy" at her death was that she reached the age of sixty seven – as some of them have stated – then she would have been a girl of nine when she got married, not a girl of six or seven except for the fact that we also reject their account that she got married the year before the hijra. We refer back to the objection raised in the second point (above). There is shown to be a contradiction which disproves her claim.

Fifthly, Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani says about Asma' daughter of Abu Bakr, "She was the mother of Abdallah son of Al-Zubayr. She became a Muslim a long time ago in Makkah and pledged allegiance to the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family). She was ten years older than A'isha and died less than a month after her son was killed. She was a hundred years old. That was in the year seventy three. (Subul al-Salam by Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani vol 1 p39).

Al-Baihaqi and Al-Dhahabi narrate on the authority of Ibn Abi al-Zinad that he said, "Asma' daughter of Abu Bakr was ten years older than A'isha. (Sunan al-Baihaqi vol 6 p204 and Siyar al-Nubala' by Al-Dhahabi vol 2 p289)

Similarly, Al-Nawawi narrates on the authority of Hafiz Abu Na'im that he said, "Asma' was born twenty seven years before the Messenger of Allah's hijra (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family). Her father Abu Bakr was twenty one years old when she was born." (Tahdhib al-Asma' by Al-Nawawi vol 3 p223).

The conclusion to be reached from these narrations is that Asma was twenty seven years old the year before the hijra and given that she was ten years older than her sister A'isha, A'isha's age was about seventeen at that time. That was the year in which she got married. What a far cry this is from her claim that she was a girl of six or seven. So the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) consummated his marriage to her when she was nearly twenty not a girl of nine.

This is how the lie told by A'isha is exposed. It was her intention to pretend to be younger and fool people into thinking that she was an innocent child who was married against her will to a really old man. In fact, A'isha was nearly twenty at the time meaning that she was a grown up woman and not a child as she claimed.

The age difference between her and between the Prophet (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) was about 33 years which is much less than the age difference between Joseph the Carpenter and Our Lady, the Virgin Mary (Peace be upon Her) when she got married or when they got engaged to each other. Mary's age was between just 12 and 14 while Joseph's was about 90.

The Catholic Encyclopedia says, "…a respectable man to espouse Mary, then twelve to fourteen years of age, Joseph, who was at the time ninety years old" (Website). That means that the age difference between Joseph and Mary was about 77 years. That is more than double the difference between the Prophet Muhammad (Allah's Peace and Blessings upon Him and His pure Family) and A'isha. So why is there no outcry over this matter too?

http://alqatrah.net/en/edara/?id=91
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by babadey(m): 4:02pm On Jul 21, 2013
LagosShia:

he did not.records prove that.

no,when a woman is ra.ped,according to the bible it is her fault for not screaming loud enough to call for rescue:

A RAPE VICTIM MUST MARRY THE RA.PIST

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
28If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and Desecrates her and they are discovered, 29he shall pay the girl’s father fifty shekels of silver.c He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Death to the Rape Victim

Deuteronomy 22:23-24
"If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife".

Get this ryt my friend we (christains) don't live in the old testament again. When someone slaps u on the right turn the left cos an eye for an eye will make everybody blind.
Did you read the story of mary magdalene when she was almost lynched?. Pls do. If anbodyy haven't sin before let him/her throw the first stone. Jesus has come to show us the way.

2 Likes

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by Mustay(m): 4:03pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey:

I'm not trying to destroy anything brother,I'm not ur enemy too. I got my findings from a site,which I don't fully concur wif. I have been trying for long to find a Quran translated to english but to no avail(maybbe cos I'm not eager sha).I'm a christain that (will) loves to know everything about other religions for a good cause

Aha, there's another reminder. When it comes to distortion of facts, it's the translation to other languages. This is why Muslims take it upon themselves to learn Arabic. Don't want to digress, if you are looking for the verse, at least I can safely assure you of this - www.quran.com

The site has different options for translation anand tafsir on verses. When it comes to comparative religious studies, one doesn't need to defy decency or exhibit crudeness.

To Muslims who also continue in some unnecessary banter, "And do not insult those they invoke other than Allah, lest they insult Allah without knowledge" http://www.quran.com/6/108
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by LagosShia: 4:07pm On Jul 21, 2013
M.B.O Owolowo: Child marriage: In the name of…?

By M.B.O Owolowo on July 19, 2013

Dailypost

The passage of the loathsome ‘Child Marriage’ law, following the amendment of Section 29(4) (b) of the 1999 Constitution, has been rightly criticised by the general public, I believe it should have been named appropriately as what it is, the “paedophilic law”.

Many cynics consider this bill an open invitation to the world’s randiest paedophiles and sex tourists, that we are open for lascivious business.

I know majority of legislators have hoodwinked the populace on many issues, including the tacit siphoning of our commonwealth, but I seriously wonder if they deliberated thoroughly on the wider implications of such actions. I must state I am gladdened by Senator Babafemi Ojudu’s revelation of the senate’s voting pattern, so all hope isn’t lost.

This ‘Child Marriage’ law is motivated by nothing more than the perversion of man, and the contumacious excesses of particular lawmakers who sponsor and support such lewdness. When such absurdities are initiated, there are always champions who lead such queasy causes, one of such protagonists is the latest “Spiritual consultant” to the President, Senator Sani Ahmed Yerima, who gained notoriety for his marriage to a young Egyptian girl. Though maligned for his actions, some wondered how it’s anyone’s business, after all the parents the Egyptian girl fully approved of it.

Agreed, what some of our lawmakers and public servants do in private is their business, but the enactment of such a law is another matter entirely.

I wouldn’t even delve into the controversial introduction of “Sharia” by Yerima and others- which was nothing more than political fanfare across many Northern states.

However, of important note was the chopping off a man’s hand for allegedly stealing during Yerima’s tenure as Governor, interestingly, the former EFCC boss, Nuhu Ribadu, accused Yerima of “direct stealing” of State funds as Governor of Zamfara- so why the selective chopping off of hands?

Evidently, we can’t all share the same views in any society, and respecting opposing views is encouraged, however I believe Child Rights should supersede all the divergent views in any polity, crossing all geographical enclaves.

I concede there are many people, who not only support such views as Yerima but also practice it, though such practices occur across the country, it is prevalent in Northern Nigeria- but it would be wrong to insinuate everyone from the North is in support of Child Marriage.

[b] On a personal note, of all the rhetoric in support of this bizarre practice, there’s nothing I find more repugnant than using the religion of Islam as justification.

Historically, Islam is often misrepresented and perceived through bias Orientalist pejorative- an orchestrated mechanism devised primarily to demonize Prophet Mohammed and Islam.

These Orientalists and those who reason as such, often mention the age of Aisha, the wife of the Prophet Mohammed, to promote an agenda meant to ridicule the entire faith.

Please permit me to digress and address my Muslim brethren without going into too much detail.

The notion that Aisha was 6 at betrothal or 9 at consummation can’t be substantiated, as the veracity of that story has been debunked with historical events that contradict such a possibility.

Evidences such as when she was born, period Aisha’s parents accepted Islam, her previous betrothal to someone else (Jubair), the time Khadija (first wife of Prophet) died, age of Fatima (Prophet Mohammed’s daughter) a contemporary of Aisha, age of Aisha’s sister, Asma. Other evidences include, Aisha’s involvement in some expeditions, battle of Uhud especially, her scholarly contributions, time of her death and other indisputable facts, have nullified this age ’6′ and ’9′ fable.

Some scholars, through the rigorous study of such evidences, stated Aisha may have been at least 19 years of age during her consummation.[/b]

It is important to state, there’s a difference between betrothal and consummation. A child, female especially, can be betrothed from the day she is born, which is still practised in many parts of the world, but, consummation is the real deal and the major concern, because this involves sexual intercourse.

There are cultural variations across the world with the ages ranging between 16 and 20 as marriageable age, however, age of sexual consent is another issue.

For instance, some Child Marriage practices, sometimes motivated by the need to cement political or financial ties, were previously acceptable in Western countries, but aren’t exactly commonplace presently. In the United Kingdom for example, we are aware girls under the age of 15 are sexually active and are delivering babies regularly, but the law states 18 as minimum age for marriage and 16 with parental consent, though in Scotland it is 16. The same applies to most African countries and even Muslim dominated countries.

These are facts, those who think it’s their “religious” duty or obligation to have child brides, may want to reconsider.

I am of the opinion this practice has more to do with culture than religion- an aberration all enlightened Muslim’s must reject intellectually.

The Quran should be the basis and its superiority to the Hadith, which are narratives, must be emphasized. There are verses in the Quran highlighting maturity and consent before marriage. So its wrongs to cherry-pick aspects of religious texts, like Hadith, and usually out of context, to suit personal whims, however perverted.

The same admonitory caution goes to mischief-makers trying to disparage Islam and cast aspersions on Prophet Mohammed. These are the hypocrites who only become “righteous” anytime it’s time to criticise Islam or it’s another “Open Season” on Muslim’s. These are people who in no way adhere to the dictates of their professed faith, but are the most opprobrious in such anti-Islamic matters.

I would like to give a big Kudos to some non- Muslims, Christians especially, for their objectivity: their opposition to tainting Islam on this matter, but concentrating on the real issue of Child Rights.

Many studies have revealed poverty is a key factor in almost all child marriage cases and indirectly related to Obstetric Fistula. Economic hardship leads many families to sell or lease their male and female children to sexual predators and child molesters across the globe.

I would implore the same energies that have rejected this Child Marriage bill be spent rejecting the factors perpetuating poverty in our milieu.

I gathered the Nigerian Senate passed the bill on religious rights grounds, if true; they may want to rescind such a decision- as it can’t be explicitly justified in the name of religion. I don’t know which “Islamic law” Senator Yerima is referring to in his twisted defence of a despicable act, as I am not aware of any. I hope those who hide under the guise of religion are aware Islam permits the evolvement of socio-cultural related laws- who knows, we may soon get one for the castration of men who only lust after prepubescent girls.

Religious rights mustn’t be abused under any guise, the fundamental human rights of others mustn’t be infringed upon in the name of religion. Let us protect the rights of our children. God Bless Nigeria!

m.b.o.owolowo@gmail.com

-M.B.O 2013©

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/07/19/m-b-o-owolowo-child-marriage-in-the-name-of/

1 Like

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by LagosShia: 4:09pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey:

Get this ryt my friend we (christains) don't live in the old testament again. When someone slaps u on the right turn the left cos an eye for an eye will make everybody blind.
Did you read the story of mary magdalene when she was almost lynched?. Pls do. If anbodyy haven't sin before let him/her throw the first stone. Jesus has come to show us the way.

expunge the old testament from your "holy bible".
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by infiniteloop(m): 4:09pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey: I hope this not offensive ooo. Prophet mohammed (SAW) married aisha @ the age of 6 and did sometin when she was 9 while he was 54 as it is written in the quran. What do you call this?

Its called awesomeness. He is the best example of the mankind. How amazing will the world be if all 54 yo marry 6yo?!

And I have a feeling this post will deleted.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by kitchen(m): 4:10pm On Jul 21, 2013
Dere wld b a tym adult female wil get married 2 teenage boy. because' dose old folks wn't marry deir peer group, so also d young gurls

1 Like

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by ThankGodEdeh(m): 4:11pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey: I hope this not offensive ooo. Prophet mohammed (SAW) married aisha @ the age of 6 and did sometin when she was 9 while he was 54 as it is written in the quran. What do you call this?
To answer your question, it is called "CHILD ABUSE"
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by LagosShia: 4:11pm On Jul 21, 2013
Psylas: thunder strike ♈ōϋ their! Where did U̶̲̥̅̊ get †ђє idea ϑf Mary 12yr-old ãήϑ Joseph 90yr-odl, where ίή
bible pls

grin grin grin grin grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/846958/tell-me-why-mohammed-married#9975159:
LagosShia: TURNING THE TABLES ON THE IGNORANT CHRISTIAN MISSIONARIES:

HOW OLD WAS MARY WHEN SHE CONCEIVED MIRACULOUSLY?

Mary was 12 or 13 years old ! so says the Catholic Encyclopaedia and the Oxford Dictionary Bible.

source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15464b.htm

furthermore,Mary (at a tender age) was engaged to Joseph who was at that time 90 years old!!!!

Regarding the Marriage of Mary to Joseph, Catholic Encyclopaedia(http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08504a.htm),says:

"When forty years of age, Joseph married a woman called Melcha or Escha by some, Salome by others; they lived forty-nine years together and had six children, two daughters and four sons, the youngest of whom was James (the Less, "the Lord's brother"wink. A year after his wife's death, as the priests announced through Judea that they wished to find in the tribe of Juda a respectable man to espouse [b]Mary, then twelve to fourteen years of age, Joseph, who was at the time ninety years old,[/b]went up to Jerusalem among the candidates; a miracle manifested the choice God had made of Joseph, and two years later the Annunciation took place."

Note: That article on Catholic Encyclopaedia obtains its information from early Christian writing .

LagosShia: [b]first muslims do not support "underage" marriage as the title of the thread suggest. we have to first understand who is "underage" to conclude that muslims are supporting "underage" marriage or not.according to Nigerian law,the age of consent for girls in Nigeria is 13 year old.if you look at many muslim countries,the age is above that as different factors are also considered.

there are factors which determine if a girl is mature enough to get married.it is not what the parents want,as Islam forbids marriage in which the girl does not have a say about the man she is getting married to and is expected to live the rest of her life with.forcing girls into marriage is forbidden in islam and amounts to oppression,which is a sin.

the physical and mental conditions of a girl is to be taken into consideration before marriage,and also the time and environment matter.for example in about a century ago,the age of consent in some parts of the United States was 10 year old.the question arises as to who or what determines if a girl is mature enough to enter marriage.in Islam,when a girl reaches the age of puberty and she is physically grown enough,she can become a woman or perform intimacy within a legal framework (i.e. marriage),as "boy friends" are not allowed for muslim girls.now the question arises if EVERY girl that sees her period can get married.of course not! there is the mental maturity of girls and the time and environment she is living in that also determine if girls can get married once they are physically mature.in the past,a girl that is physically mature can get married at age 12 for instance.but now when it takes 12 years to finish high school,can a girl of 12 get married? by the time she is done with high school she would be oldest at 16.these are things to take into consideration,in addition to the girl's and parents' consent. otherwise the word "underage" is subjective and prejudiced.even in the west as I cited the USA, there was no yardstick to determine what was "underage".they reduced and increased it as they wanted to,and still do.we also know according to a report found in the Catholic encyclopedia that Mary (as),the virgin mother of Jesus (as),is said to have been age 12 when she conceived,and at that time she was betrothed to Joseph,who was a man of 90 year old.time,environment,consent,alongside maturity (physical and mental),all have to play a role to determine the age suitable for a girl to get married.
https://www.nairaland.com/1364942/dokubo-underage-marriage-right-muslims/1#16897331
[/b]
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 21, 2013

He should be charged for marrying a minor n sentence to 50 years in prison
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by eagleeye2: 4:14pm On Jul 21, 2013
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisha
Check the link above... Mohammed (SAW) married Aisha as an under aged girl.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by LagosShia: 4:16pm On Jul 21, 2013
eagle,eye:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisha
Check the link above... Mohammed (SAW) married Aisha as an under aged girl.

an unsubstantiated claim ,while all historical accounts prove the contrary.

1 Like

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by babadey(m): 4:18pm On Jul 21, 2013
LagosShia:

What u guys are now saying is,Aisha fabricated everything to look bad?. That means she didn't luv him (saw) and respectt him either. Now, aisha is the bad person here (I laff gan,no offence bro) grin. My question is,why did she fabricate all this? Abi did any historical facts say she was from a jewish desent,so she waz bent on tarnishing his image (saw)?.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by LagosShia: 4:20pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey:

What u guys are now saying is,Aisha fabricated everything to look bad?. That means she didn't luv him (saw) and respectt him either. Now, aisha is the bad person here (I laff gan,no offence bro) grin. My question is,why did she fabricate all this? Abi did any historical facts say she was from a jewish desent,so she waz bent on tarnishing his image (saw)?.

check the below 6 pages,and you'd know more about Aisha (from the Sunni and Shia perspectives) :

https://www.nairaland.com/1107764/story-sunni-imam-shia-ayatollah
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by adwem2003(m): 4:21pm On Jul 21, 2013
How can a man of 40, 50 or over marry a girl of 12, 13yrs? What kind of paedophilia is this?"
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by TruthTella(m): 4:22pm On Jul 21, 2013
[size=17pt]
In this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/1366346/senator-ahmed-yerima-replies-critics

More than 75 muslims liked that post where Yerima stated that the Prophet muhammed was the reason why he supports underage marriage. Now you have come to start another thread claiming that underage marriage is unislamic. You can't fool anyone because it is as clear as daylight that underage marriage is part of Islam[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 21, 2013
Well talking about the prophet being an example I wonder what u mean... There was an accont of a CHILD WIFE, it was recorded that he married a 9years Old Aisha...So I guess that's justifying enough.http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/prepubescent.htm&sa=U&ei=wvrrUaKXKoWWswaBzYCYBQ&ved=0CCEQFjAG&sig2=vegyhz2O045aOFmfTOIQ0A&usg=AFQjCNGh4sZUsaHNTQJGS7orJBQ5jeP00A
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by infiniteloop(m): 4:24pm On Jul 21, 2013
LagosShia:

I am neither a christian nor moslem. I am a pantheist but one thing though, I find it always rather amusing when moslems are quick to defend their religion by attacking christianity or making close comparisons.

What has Mary getting pregnant at age 13 got to do with Mohammed consummating a 9yo. Did the bible endorses that Mary get pregant if at all it happens? And if it does endorse it, how does that connect to the paedophilia behaviour by the best example of mankind ever. Or what has underage marriage endorsement got to be with Vatican city homosexual crimes
? I spot a kind of fallacy here. A kind where you are trying to appeal to emotions. Its like saying yes, I'm a thief but do you know tunde is a liar. Wetin concern tunde with you being a thief.

Moslems should learn to answer the questions posed to them and challenging their religion. Leave the christians out of it. Its not like I care about them. I can start attacking those ones too, by the way. They make me sick to the stomach.
I have said this and will always say it. The greatest evil has been done to Africans. It is the evil of religion. Religion has consumed us of commonsense.

Most people I know that are incredibly smart always talk funny and stu.pid when it comes to religious matters.

It makes no sense and it will never make any sense to marry a girl who should be in school for basic education. I don't care the religion. Islam or christianity. Buddhism or Ifa.

There are few things the society demands for sanity. Girl child education is one of them. Women represents purity and sanity for every society. Every forward-thinking society needs women to be educated. We need to start respecting our women and start teaching them because they represent hope for any society. Common sense demands that. Kids learn from them first.

A society crumbles when the women in such society are uneducated. How do you reconcile a married 16yo girl to properly face her studies?

Holy Judas, your 'holy' books were written in centuries ago. It obviously adapt to the times and cultures it was written in. Bros, make we dey reason this thing now. Isn't it obvious that religion is just a trick by some men to control other men.

They know you will never confirm if heaven exist or not. Ok, let me not even start bashing the inaccuracies and the inconsistencies of religious organisations and the charlatan tendencies in the founders of religions. If you have read 48 laws of power and you are intellectually sincere and with yourself and intellectually capable of grasping the fact, you will understand why most religions had to invent the idea of heaven-and-hell and also the-devil. This post/comment is not expose these facts so I won't go further.

My point is: let's start thinking please. Thank you very much.

And then again, I know I risk having this post deleted because I may have offended the sensibility of the almighty moderator of this forum.

1 Like

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by GooseBaba: 4:25pm On Jul 21, 2013
LagosShia:

my words are for all muslims who insist to be stuck in the past.

but no one should try to justify anything using the lie concocted by Aisha that she was 9 year old when the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him and his pure Ahlul-Bayt) married her.historical records convincingly expose her as a liar.

Can you give a reason why she had to lie.? She was married to the prophet. I would guess that came with honor for her personally.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by PastorKun(m): 4:26pm On Jul 21, 2013
@Lagoshia
Stop spamming this thread with your lies and fabrications.

1 Like

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 21, 2013
TruthTella: [size=17pt]
In this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/1366346/senator-ahmed-yerima-replies-critics

More than 75 muslims liked that post where Yerima stated that the Prophet muhammed was the reason why he supports underage marriage. Now you have come to start another thread claiming that underage marriage is unislamic. You can't fool anyone because it is as clear as daylight that underage marriage is part of Islam[/size]

They are very deceptive people
Their opinions on issues vary as the night is from day
Islam does not support underage marriage but then the very same person tells you Islam supports marriage of girls as young as one.
Let us delve int the life and love life of prophet Mohammed shall we?
Mohammed even lusted after a baby crawling by
Can any Muslims deny this?
Before actually deflowering Aisha his wife at 9,it is recorded that he used to play with her
Your guess is as good as mine what sort of playing a 54 year old will be having with a 6 year old he is attracted and married to
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by nagoma(m): 4:29pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey:

Of course we know that. They don't live on any ideals at all. We would not have same sex marriage if they had ideals and the priests in the Vatican and other churches would not be violating young boys in their care.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by babadey(m): 4:32pm On Jul 21, 2013
GooseBaba:

Can you give a reason why she had to lie.? She was married to the prophet. I would guess that came with honor for her personally.

Oh oooo. Thank u my brother. Why?
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by BetaThings: 4:33pm On Jul 21, 2013
baba dey:

Please show me one attack on Christians in real life that was not avenged by them
Show me one christian country that does not have an army
Can you confirm to me that Christians have never slapped first (without even waiting to be slapped first)
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by Orikinla(m): 4:33pm On Jul 21, 2013
abdulkayus: The "Under-age" Marriage with consummation (I.e. carnal knowledge, sexual intercourse) is not permitted in Islam, a girl has to reach the age of puberty before marriage can be consummated (I.e. carnal knowledge, sexual intercourse) .

But Islam permits the betrothal, engagement and marriage of a girl even at birth and of-course this has always been the practice of many cultures in Africa and the world over.
However , the girl might grow up and refused to be married to the man she is betrothed, engaged or married to at birth - either due to religion or lack of love.
Her permission must be sought before the marriage could be consummated. There is no forced marriage in Islam.

The Prophet (Peace and blessings of God be upon him) did not approve of forced marriage.
He [the best of mankind] (saw) is the best example for us to follow. Allahu Allam....Allah knows best.

Aisha was 11 I saw her, but she looked 16. And her Hausa Fulani parents wanted me to have her. But I fled from both and never looked back. She is 32 today and a married mother. But I am happy I never abused her even though she would have gladly followed me home.

I have addressed all these Islamic excuses and nuances in my censored book "Unveil Me My Love", http://www.lulu.com/shop/orikinla-osinachi/unveil-me-my-love/hardcover/product-519468.html

[size=18pt]If an innocent girl child of 10 or 15 agrees to marry you with the consent of her parents, would you agree?[/size]

Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by LagosShia: 4:34pm On Jul 21, 2013
GooseBaba:

Aisha was a wife full of jealousy.her disrespect towards the Prophet (sa) and whether she was even a Muslim are contentious topics between Sunni and Shia Muslims.she wanted to portray herself, especially considering her destructive role in fitnah (strife) between muslims (particularly) the Battle of Jamal against Imam Ali (as) -which she led contrary to the Prophet's (sa) will to her-,to be innocent and young when the Prophet (sa) married her.in this way she is implying that she grew up in the Prophet's (sa) household and she attained "prophetic manners".also Aisha is recorded to have been given in marriage to a man before the Prophet (sa) married her.Jubair Ibn Mot'em was the man who was Aisha's first.therefore whether she was even a virgin when the Prophet (sa) married her is also contentious between Sunni and Shia Muslims.presenting herself as young and vulnerable,and someone who couldn't hurt a fly was also aimed at making her the Prophet's (sa) "favorite wife",contrary to reports that the Prophet's (sa) favorite wife was Lady Khadijah (as).Aisha was even jealous of Lady Khadijah (as),the Prophet's (sa) first wife who died before the Prophet (sa) married Aisha as his second wife.in this vain,the age of Khadijah (as) is inflated,and Sunni records claim and Sunnis maintain that Khadijah (as) was over 20 years older than the Prophet (as),while Aisha was just a "baby" when the Prophet (sa) married her.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by TruthTella(m): 4:34pm On Jul 21, 2013
babyosisi:

They are very deceptive people
Their opinions on issues vary as the night is from day
Islam does not support underage marriage but then the very same person tells you Islam supports marriage of girls as young as one.
Let us delve int the life and love life of prophet Mohammed shall we?
Mohammed even lusted after a baby crawling by
Can any Muslims deny this?
Before actually deflowering Aisha his wife at 9,it is recorded that he used to play with her
Your guess is as good as mine what sort of playing a 54 year old will be having with a 6 year old he is attracted and married to

Do you know that Islam permits muslims to be deceptive when they want to propagate their religion? They call it At Taqiyyah, I know that is what they started this thread for.
Re: Islam And Under Age Marriage! by ThankGodEdeh(m): 4:39pm On Jul 21, 2013
LagosShia:

[b]so if 2000 years ago Joseph,a man of 90 years of age,was engaged to Mary (as),a girl of 12 years,does that mean in our age and time we should continue to follow that? are we progressing or digressing?

what are the motives behind an old man marrying a small girl in those times? is it famine? culture? is it for procreation? is it to have children to farm? is it because of high mortality rate which required early marriage? is it because of morality,that can be maintained even by a virgin of over 60 year old? then what is the excuse or reasons behind marrying little girls in 2013?

in my view Islam says a girl can marry once she attains puberty,and she is physically and mentally mature.Islam does not compel old men to parade little girls when the motives that existed in ancient days no longer exist.we should stop giving Islam a bad image,and make others look down upon muslims because we are refusing to progress and instead we want to live in ancient times.at what age would a girl who is married at 12 graduate from secondary school? and she would still be expected to raise children and take care of the home.i don't think this is possible or even Islamic in 2013.muslims who promote marriage to little girls should grow up.muslim girls also deserve good living.this is no attack on Islam,as many of us muslims would misunderstand it to be.[/b]
You are one of the most reasonable muslims on NL.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Prayer Before Halaal Sexual Intercourse / Why Do Muslim Females Make Very Beautiful Hairstlyles To Eventually Cover It Up? / Dog In The House Reduces Good Deeds Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.