Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,066 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Phillip Effiong- The Unsung Hero of Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Phillip Effiong- The Unsung Hero of Nigeria. (2001 Views)

Philip Effiong's 90th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! / Ojukwu Was A Dictator – Phillip Effiong / Boko Haram Member Augustine Effiong Confesses To Partaking In BUK Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Phillip Effiong- The Unsung Hero of Nigeria. by 7thCANON: 9:07am On Jul 22, 2013
Phillip Effiong- The unsung hero of Nigeria.

Gen Efiong, full name: Philip Asuquo Efiong Udo Ukpong Akpan Ekandem Essien Nkam Obionte, was a self-made man who rose through the ranks to become a Lt-Colonel in the Nigerian Army before the coup of 15 January 1966. Following the coup, he was posted to the Supreme Headquarters as Principal Staff Officer to Major-Gen J. T. U. Aguiyi-Ironsi. He was Acting Chief of Staff Supreme Headquarters in May 1966. And in July 1966 he was posted to Kaduna as Deputy Brigade Commander. Following the counter coup of July 1966, Efiong who was a target of the counter coupists, managed to escape to Lagos. And in compliance with orders for all officers to return to their region of origin, he returned to the East before the civil war broke out in 1967. In Biafra, Gen Efiong held various commands as Chief of Logistics, Chief of Staff, Commandant of the Militia and the Chief of General Staff. But what has put Efiong in a position of historical significance is that he was the last Head of State of Biafra and the man who eventually brought the fratricidal war to an end. It is therefore clear that Efiong was in vantage positions during those crucial years in the history of this country.

More Information
http://www.kwenu.com/bookreview/philip_efiong.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Effiong

This is why I get so angry with my Igbo friends who, in their sheer blindness, only believe Ojukwu was Biafra and Biafra was Ojukwu. Indeed, Phillip Effiong was, though arguable, the greatest Biafran. It is worthy to mention that he was senior to Ojukwu and others (he was a Brig Gen), but was humble enough to be second in command to Ojukwu, and was Head of State when Ojukwu fled. Nnaemeka L. Aneke wrote, "General Efiong’s handling of Biafra’s surrender is one of the most tactical and devoted maneuvers ever seen on the Nigerian scene. Those who do not appreciate the depth of it may not have appreciated what was at stake as Biafra capitulated." Many observers had expected wholesale retribution at war's end (see the wikipedia link).
Re: Phillip Effiong- The Unsung Hero of Nigeria. by Kemy11(m): 9:46am On Jul 22, 2013
Philip is one person i still hold a high esteem for. My friend told me the story of how the great warlord, ojukwu was crying like a baby during the burial of philip Effiong.
Re: Phillip Effiong- The Unsung Hero of Nigeria. by eyenCalabar(m): 9:54am On Jul 22, 2013

This is why I get so angry with my Igbo friends who, in their sheer blindness, only believe Ojukwu was Biafra and Biafra was Ojukwu. Indeed, Phillip Effiong was, though arguable, the greatest Biafran. It is worthy to mention that he was senior to Ojukwu and others (he was a Brig Gen), but was humble enough to be second in command to Ojukwu, and was Head of State when Ojukwu fled . Nnaemeka L. Aneke wrote, "General Efiong’s handling of Biafra’s surrender is one of the most tactical and devoted maneuvers ever seen on the Nigerian scene. Those who do not appreciate the depth of it may not have appreciated what was at stake as Biafra capitulated." Many observers had expected wholesale retribution at war's end (see the wikipedia link).

Tell them o. Always celebrating Ojukwu as if he was the only one that fought Biafra war.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

War or Army Will Overthrown with this jonathan/lamido talk &all of africa-Musiwa / Gov Orji Unveils The Newly Rebuilt M.I Okpara Square / PDP Aspirant Gets More Valid Votes : AIT Apologizes!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.