Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,432 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic (32792 Views)

El-Rufai Bans Beggars And Street Hawkers In Kaduna State / Photo Of The Day : Nigerian Police Officers Pushing Their Van In Traffic / Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by lekanolas: 3:34pm On Jul 24, 2013
Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, yesterday marveled at the ingenuity and the entrepreneur skills displayed by highway hawkers in some Nigerian cities, especially Lagos.

He described the traits displayed almost simultaneously while selling on the highways as misused skills.

The governor said there is nowhere in the world where youths dominated the highways with such entrepreneurship skills.

He said: “I have travelled a little bit and I am not sure if there are many places in the world where we will find young people, running through traffic, balancing their wares on their heads, chase the moving cars and selling their goods, calculating how many they have sold and doing mental sums and giving you change.

“If you just pause to think on the skills displayed, the flexibility and adaptability that is required to carry out those functions. I don’t know how many of us can do it.

“So, let nobody come and tell me that Nigerians are not skillful, let them not also come and tell me that they are not enterprising. If that is not a display of skills and a display of enterprise then you know what it is.”

Governor Fashola, however, lamented that such skills were unfortunately wrongly deployed to unsustainable business, adding that the state government is determined to divert such skills and enterprise to a more promising and sustainable business model.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/fashola-marvels-at-hawkers-skills-in-traffic/

11 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by redsun(m): 5:12pm On Jul 24, 2013
One get to duff his/her hat for those guys.Hustling under high tension and dicing with death.

It is all they know,the alternative will be the gutters or armed robbery.Being successful in nigeria without the connections of political thieves,usurping clergies and official stealings is like a rose that grew from concrete.

31 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:24pm On Jul 24, 2013
U knw, when u see an intelligent man,

He will alwys see the 'sense' in 'nonSENSE'!

55 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by IGBOSON1: 5:52pm On Jul 24, 2013
I reckon some of those boys can give Usain Bolt a run for his money......and have the stamina and staying power to give Mo Farah a fright! Some of our fat wealthy thieving elite should help some of these poor kids for heavens sake!; it doesn't have to be that unless you have somebody that knows somebody, then you can't get a leg-up in life.

15 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 24, 2013
Oga fash, i saw a Kai black maria this afternoon filled with guys arrested for hawking at Agege motor road, their goods were confiscated, the jobless uniformed men harrassed and molested them. When they get to alausa they will be asked to plead guilty before a kangaroo court and then hounded into Jails like stray Dogs without legal representation. Mr Governor, it's inhuman, give your govt a human face.

78 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by gramci: 6:04pm On Jul 24, 2013
I see a new tax regime angry

11 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by manny4life(m): 6:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
gramci: I see a new tax regime angry

You read my mind... LASG will go any extreme for revenue collection embarassed

1 Like

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 24, 2013
I've always thought most of them street hawkers could give Usain Bolt a run for his money. Pun intended

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by coastalqueen: 6:11pm On Jul 24, 2013
And what has he done to help them? Send LASMA guys to clear them off the road dead/alive. There was a day I saw some Lasma guys chasing a gala hawker just at the beiginning of third-mainland bridge, the guy jumped off the bridge to that open foot ball field. imagine the distance. I'm sure he sustained serious injuries. And Mr Fash is here hailing. Abeg make he close his mouth jori. yeye politician.

23 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by venorite(m): 6:13pm On Jul 24, 2013
jackbauersballs: I've always thought most of them street hawkers could give Usain Bolt a run for his money. Pun intended
Yeah right
Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by question(m): 6:15pm On Jul 24, 2013
Oga Fash, hawkers risking their lives on traffic selling pure water is not a commendable skill. It is a disguised suicide mission.

11 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by owolabifunke14(f): 6:16pm On Jul 24, 2013
your excellency, it wont be out of place if you offer them a job. they are nigerians like you sir.

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by mrking3(m): 6:16pm On Jul 24, 2013
But seriously! I duff my Hat for those boys .... I heared they make like N5 for each piece of Gala sold! I feel for them so much!!! Fashola shouldn't just feel pity for them! He should find way to engage them meaningfuly!!

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by dridowu: 6:16pm On Jul 24, 2013
I 2 gve hudos to dos guy, thank God for my own
Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by tellwisdom: 6:17pm On Jul 24, 2013
Fashola was once a hawker?? sad
Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by DICKtator: 6:18pm On Jul 24, 2013
Fashola is even dulling in Las gidi.
I heard it from the grapevine that he rides his powerbike at night. Is he tryna insinuate that he hasn't seen the resilience of a street hawker before?
i was and i am still marvelled at how some would chase their potential customer just to sell a sachet of water!!!. I mean why risk your life because of 5/10 naira?
Poverty!!!!!!
Is a very bad thang!!!!
i'll still blame the government for not creating the much needed environment!!!
You would even see kids hawking and yet a law was passed outlawing street/kid hawking!!
whatever happened to it?
full implementation and follow-up processes is important after legislating
grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by SisiKill1: 6:19pm On Jul 24, 2013
lekanolas:

Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, yesterday marveled at the ingenuity and the entrepreneur skills displayed by highway hawkers in some Nigerian cities, especially Lagos.

He described the traits displayed almost simultaneously while selling on the highways as misused skills.

The governor said there is nowhere in the world where youths dominated the highways with such entrepreneurship skills.

He said: “I have travelled a little bit and I am not sure if there are many places in the world where we will find young people, running through traffic, balancing their wares on their heads, chase the moving cars and selling their goods, calculating how many they have sold and doing mental sums and giving you change.

“If you just pause to think on the skills displayed, the flexibility and adaptability that is required to carry out those functions. I don’t know how many of us can do it.

“So, let nobody come and tell me that Nigerians are not skillful, let them not also come and tell me that they are not enterprising. If that is not a display of skills and a display of enterprise then you know what it is.”

Governor Fashola, however, lamented that such skills were unfortunately wrongly deployed to unsustainable business, adding that the state government is determined to divert such skills and enterprise to a more promising and sustainable business model.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/fashola-marvels-at-hawkers-skills-in-traffic/

I so agree with this assessment!!

When one hears the intricacies of some of these Yahoo Yahoo scams, you can't help but marvel at the ingenuity (I don't endorse Yahoo Yahoo oh). If these skills and enterprising nature were directed at something legit...God knows where we would be today.

Another thing that amazes me (and confuses)is how some Nigerians expend so much time and energy thinking up ways on how NOT to do the right thing or how to get away with not doing something when doing the right thing will take a fraction of that time. Imagine spending N500 recharge card to look for a fake product for a client so you can make N700 extra because getting him the real one will put only N200 in your pocket. cheesy cheesy

Nigerians...we have been wonderfully made, I tell ya. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by emmadejust(m): 6:21pm On Jul 24, 2013
its well oooooo. al we do is for street credibility and hope. of better things to come
Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by naptu2: 6:25pm On Jul 24, 2013
1) Back in 2000 I was at Yaba Bus Stop when I saw this guy run after a moving commercial bus, catch up with it and deliver his goods to a passenger. Someone beside me remarked that these are the people that should be representing Nigeria at the Olympics.

2) Some people say that these hawkers are arrested by Kai. The question is, what happens to them after they are arrested by Kai? Have you heard of the skills acquisition centres? Do you know what happens there?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by rozayx5(m): 6:26pm On Jul 24, 2013
jackbauersballs: I've always thought most of them street hawkers could give Usain Bolt a run for his money. Pun intended

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by EkoIle1: 6:26pm On Jul 24, 2013
coastal queen: And what has he done to help them? Send LASMA guys to clear them off the road dead/alive. There was a day I saw some Lasma guys chasing a gala hawker just at the beiginning of third-mainland bridge, the guy jumped off the bridge to that open foot ball field. imagine the distance. I'm sure he sustained serious injuries. And Mr Fash is here hailing. Abeg make he close his mouth jori. yeye politician.

Exactly what he was doing when he gave the speech at the First Lagos State Enterprise Day organized by the State Technical and Vocational Education Board.

There are free taxpayers funded options for every Lagosian to do better in life, too bad many are not willing to take advantage of available opportunities..

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by PStacks(m): 6:33pm On Jul 24, 2013
Governor Fashola is always saying something and Never saying it. Very Diplomatic Man. I admire him anyway, he's about he Best.

We are talking of Survival here.
We are talking of Earning a living here.

An average Nigerian is a Survivor.

Nigerians are skillful
Nigerians are talented

But in a country where nothing is enabling, nothing is empowering, noting works, nothing encourages..

I'm not asking govt for Fast Rail
I'm not asking govt for unemployment benefits
I'm not asking govt for Food-Stamps
I'm not asking for Housing
I'm not asking for Social insurance

All I ask my dear govt is Electricity supply and since inception of democracy I'm yet to get 12Hour light at a stretch in one day.

I don't know of Lagos tho! But in Abuja, u need to see the way the Abuja Environmental Protection Board treat these guys when they catch them, first the people unleashed on these road traders are not decent at all whatsoever, u can vividly see thuggery written all over a law enforcement officer's face.. Secondly u see them pursue these helpless street traders endlessly, this is so sad.. The level of wealth disparity in this country is so high that there seems to be a disconnect between the absolutely wealthy and the very lowly poor as if to say middle class doesnt exist.

Its either u're in govt stealing money or private sector romancing with govt and stealing funds ment for 150 million nigerians..

I feel the collective wealth meant for 150 Million Nigerians is in the Hands of less than 1 Million Nigerians or less.

When only a few people of 150 million can service a generator for 24/7 to give himself power and majority in the 150 Million either make do with the erratic power or manage to power one small I pass my nebor gen, then it speaks volume of the kind of society we live in..

A country where our Senators are about the highest paid in the world and some people would go to bed hungry tonight..

A country with Abundance but yet so poor.

A Country Blessed but yet plagued with Corruption, Religion, Poverty, Unemployment, Low Life Expectancy as revealed by a latest report, escalating crisis daily, plunging democracy, a country where by July ending Budget still has issues.

What do you expect of these people? They must live. They must feed. They must house. They must transport. They must Power themselves at night when there is no light, they must pay for health care.

In as much as I frown at Street hawking, Man's First instinct is "Survival Instincts".

Man must whack.

24 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by Jibsonified(m): 6:34pm On Jul 24, 2013
coastal queen: And what has he done to help them? Send LASMA guys to clear them off the road dead/alive. There was a day I saw some Lasma guys chasing a gala hawker just at the beiginning of third-mainland bridge, the guy jumped off the bridge to that open foot ball field. imagine the distance. I'm sure he sustained serious injuries. And Mr Fash is here hailing. Abeg make he close his mouth jori. yeye politician.

Are U effing serious??!!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 24, 2013
Fashola's talk make sense, To hawk no easy

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by Olajumokeibk(f): 6:41pm On Jul 24, 2013
tellwisdom: Fashola was once a hawker?? sad

By their signature, ye shall know their kinda comment
Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by naptu2: 6:43pm On Jul 24, 2013
I think people have only understood one part of Fashola's message - his admiration of their skills, they've not understood the second part - what he wants them to do instead of hawking. I might have to supply the second part.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by naptu2: 6:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
naptu2: Skills Acquisition Centers. The Lagos State Skills Acquisition Centers are set up for people who do not have jobs, to enable them to learn skills that will enable them earn a living. Any unemployed person can attend the skills acquisition centres, but there is also a special set of people who are sent to the centres by the government after being screened. These set of people are the area boys, homeless, street traders, beggars, etc.

Below is the process for the special class of attendees:

[size=14pt]The Process[/size]

1)The environmental laws of Lagos State (laws against street trading, begging, etc) have been in place at least since the 1970s (probably earlier). They've been reviewed quite a number of times (Akhigbe, Rasaki, Tinubu).

2) The process was fully established by the Tinubu Administration.

3) Beggars, street traders, destitutes, area boys, psychotics, etc are arrested by the Task Force on Environmental Offences.

4) They are given a choice: (a) go to prison (b) go to rehabilitation centre (c) return to your state of origin.

A) The law stipulates punishment for those who commit these offences. They include prison term, fine, forfeiture of goods.

B) Rehabilitation centres were set up (the most famous/infamous was at Ita-Oko Island). At the centres the inmates are sorted. They are tested for drugs. Those who are drug addicts are detoxified. Those who have mental illnesses are sent to the asylum. The inmates (apart from the lunatics) are then taught skills (skills acquisition centre) so that they'll be able to earn a living. When they complete the course, they are given a loan with which they will start a business and made to sign an undertaking that they will not return to the streets.

C) Return: Those who choose to return are transported to their state of origin. The state government is usually informed ahead of time (although I know of 3 instances in which their state governments claimed that they were not informed) so that they can make arrangements to cater for the people. Most of the people who have chosen to return are from the northern part of the country (note: they chose to return).

naptu2: Students of the skills acquisition centres make the costumes that are used for the annual Lagos Carnival, while sponsors of the carnival bear the cost (participants in the carnival are given the costumes for free).

Upon graduation they are given interest free loans by the Lagos Micro-Finance Institution (LASMI).

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by Archmed(m): 6:48pm On Jul 24, 2013
Good one Governor.I thought u wana rebuke dem(roadside hawkers)for dia activities on d highway.Thank God u knew its d Nigerian situation dat causes it.Provide a better alternative and you'll see changes Sir.
Eko O ni baje o!
Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by Sunday4ars(m): 6:51pm On Jul 24, 2013
i have seen an hawker selling rain wipper,he sold it to us on the run and still fix both wippers...dat is d most amazing succide mission i have ever seen from a desperate hawker because i was in d bus.
pls,lagos govt shld tamper judgement wit mercy not to arrest dis poor ones for dey have no other means of survival. Mercy not Judgement!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by Raypawer(m): 6:52pm On Jul 24, 2013
Mr Fashola, it will be well said of u if u dont device a cunning means of tax for those guys, how u want make dem du? Man must survive!
Re: Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic by naptu2: 6:53pm On Jul 24, 2013
[size=14pt]Fashola Hands Over Mushin (17th) Skills Acquisition And Vocational Centre (pics)[/size]

Eko Ile:

Press Releases

Fashola Hands Over Mushin Skills Acquisition And Vocational Centre
…Says 13,422 men, women have so far been trained through them

Feb 15, 2011 - Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola on Tuesday handed over the 17th Skills Acquisition and Vocational Centre in the State located at Mushin, revealing that the State has so far trained about 13,422 men and women.

Governor Fashola who spoke at the official commissioning of the Mushin Skill Acquisition Centre said from Amuwo Odofin, Badagry, Egan, Egbeda and Ejigbo, through Eredo, Iba, Ibeju Leki, Igbooye, Ikorodu and Kosofe to Lagos Island, Shibiri in Ojo, Surulere and Agege, the State has continually turned out thousands of young men and women with productive skills with which they are putting food on thousands of tables and contributing to the economy of the State.

The Governor said apart from the sustained support which the State gives to the ordinary people, Government has evolved a people oriented policy of facilitating training for the young people to acquire skills and granting them access to credit to start their own businesses, Government has also created a database for them to establish their location and for them to relate with themselves through the compilation and publication of the Lagos State Business Directory which is similar to "Yellow Pages".

He said beyond all the support for ordinary people, the State has evolved a people oriented policy of patronizing the local manufacturers and entrepreneurs over the foreign producers.

He recalled that the 2010 Lagos Carnival is a clear testimony of the practice as the over 93, 000 pieces of costumes used for the carnival that could have been imported much cheaper was commissioned for local production.

He stressed that the decision to site skill acquisition centres in different parts of the state was part of the administration's resolve to encourage young people to acquire vocational skills and create an avenue to make money and sustain themselves.

Governor Fashola expressed his worry at the recent policy shift by the Federal Government which allows importation of furniture, toothpick, textiles and vehicles of 15 years into the country.

He described the step as an economic tragedy for the nation which is not defensible and called for its reversal.

Governor Fashola stressed that the frenzy of importation has killed the local economy leading to high rate of unemployment and noting that smuggling could be tamed by well structured security mechanisms rather than throwing the flood gates open of goods to all sorts.

"This policy decision is not the answer to the problem of smuggling. The answer to the problem of smuggling lies rather in a methodical and multi-dimensional response. It includes the strengthening of the Customs through technology such as scanners, to improving the local productive capacity of our people and reducing dependence on imports and its attraction", he added.

He said if the Federal Government reverses the policy on importation and concentrate on stimulating the growth of the local industry through accelerated electricity supply, "our freight forwarders, our customs and our ports will become busier from a positive reversal of fortunes that is driven by an export oriented economy rather than an import driven economy".

He urged the people to vote massively for all the candidates of the Action Congress of Nigeria in Lagos because it is the only party that can deliver the goods which is very visible for everyone to see.

He urged the people of Lagos State not to give the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) any chance to rule in any part of the country anymore, adding that it is a party that is rebranding on a vision that is giving Nigerians insecurity and inflicting a nightmare on the people.

Earlier, the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation (WAPA), Mrs. Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire, said the location of the centre in Mushin is informed by the administration's policy of tackling poverty and women empowerment at the grassroots.

She said the numerous skill acquisition programmes of the Ministry has offered diverse opportunities to all classes of Lagosians to learn various vocations after which they are provided with needed capital and conducive environment to start practicing their trade.

Mrs Orelope-Adefulire said that so far, over 60,000 grassroots women and youths have been trained in year 2010 alone through the Acquisition centres.

In his welcome address, the Chairman of Mushin Local Government, Mr Babatunde Adepitan said the construction of the Skills Acquisition Centre in Mushin at that particular spot is another miracle of the century which could be better compared to what happened at Oshodi.

He said as a responsible Government the Council received the gift with both hands and has complimented the efforts of the State by immediately constructing all the roads leading to the centre.

In a message of solidarity Commissioner for Environment, Dr Muiz Banire who is also an indigene of the area commended Governor Babatunde Fashola and his team for a job well done in transforming Lagos State.

He said the site of the project was hitherto a major security risk for the residents of the area just as it also constituted an environmental disaster spot, saying through the resourcefulness of the present administration, it has been transformed.

The ceremony was attended by the Deputy Governor, Princess Sarah Adebisi Sosan, members of the State Executive Council, members of the National Assembly and State Assembly representing Mushin and political leaders as well as enthusiastic residents of the area who trooped out to receive the Governor witness the event.

https://www.nairaland.com/606262/fashola-hands-over-mushin-17thhttp://www.nairaland.com/606262/fashola-hands-over-mushin-17th

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oluwaseun Sakaba: No Forgiveness For Boko Haram Terrorists Who Killed My Husband / 2023 Presidential Election: Kano State Street Poll (video). / PENGASSAN Going On Strike On Thursday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.