Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles (10128 Views)

The Benefits And Possible Consequences Of Taking Chieftaincy Title / Igbo Chieftaincy Titles / Traditional Chieftaincy Titles: Do We Need Them? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by jagunlabi(m): 5:10pm On May 25, 2006
Should a christian accept the honour of becoming a traditional chief of his/her community?
Does that present a conflict of belief?
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by Bibi(m): 7:18pm On May 25, 2006
I have not seen any contradiction with the Bible?. As long as the chieftaincy requirements do not incude fettish sacrifices or shadow alliances, I think its ok.

1 Like

Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by Badman888(m): 8:10pm On May 25, 2006
It depends, not all chieftaincy title have to do with rituals and stuff some are just like a honour. I think if it has to do with certain rituals then a christain shouldnt accept it.
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by Rottweiler(m): 9:36am On May 26, 2006
Darkness and light don't go together! There's nothing like an honourary chieftaincy title. When you are made a chief, usually you are expected to undergo certain initiations. In future, you could even be called upon to perform certain rites on behalf of the community. Take it or leave it, a true christian shouldn't fraternise with traditional institutions unless he/she is trying to convert the traditionalists.
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by Metroman(m): 5:48pm On May 26, 2006
2 Corinthians 6 vs 14 - 18 ; 7 vs 1

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
1 ¶ Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God

Sometimes the scripture seems hard but by brother let us not water it down. Let us pray that God will send a REVIVAL and let us not join those that are compromising and pulling down the gospel.
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by Badman888(m): 6:16pm On May 26, 2006
Rottweiler:

Darkness and light don't go together! There's nothing like an honourary chieftaincy title. When you are made a chief, usually you are expected to undergo certain initiations. In future, you could even be called upon to perform certain rites on behalf of the community. Take it or leave it, a true christian shouldn't fraternise with traditional institutions unless he/she is trying to convert the traditionalists.

We all come from different parts of the country, because i know in my place there is honourary cheiftaincy
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by IAH(f): 6:55pm On May 26, 2006
Yes there's honorary chieftaincy title and they don't do initiations or rites at all! My Dad is a Chief(honorary) and he didn't do any initiation rites. The whole thing was a ceremony like you would do your wedding or house-warming ceremony. They just put beads on his neck and hands. So what's bad in that for a Christian?
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by Badman888(m): 6:56pm On May 26, 2006
@ IAH thank you at least its not only me that knows that.
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by kimba(m): 8:49pm On May 26, 2006
NOPE, they dont go together.

The question is: Would a Christian really be able to stand on the totality of the Word of God without compromise with Chieftancy titles? NO. Its not just the title that matters, its the requirements, level of commitment to that group that are involved. Should a decision need to be taken, can the Christian man take the totality of Gods Word into full-consideration and application without going against some dictates, and "musts" of the Chieftancy position he is holding?

The truth is he cant please everybody. He cant please them and God at the same time. But God will not accept part-time commitment. And what is he discussing with those in the Chieftancy group? has he preached Jesus to them? have they accepted the faith? can he still maintain intimacy with them and Jesus at the same time.

Its not about killing people or offering sacrifices now, im talking the ideals of Christianity compared to the ideals of the society. They dont match, and arent comaptible.
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by jagunlabi(m): 2:10pm On May 27, 2006
Will a christian be able to accept a knighthood,then?Or does that go against God,too?
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by kellybaba(m): 3:44pm On May 27, 2006
kimba,god bless u !
i culdnt hv said it beta. u captured it all.
@ iah & badman888,just know that any money or levy that ur palle contributes in that cabinet for the the 'igwe-in-council" to consult d oracle of the land is a direct worship of d deity wch xtianity abhors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by Dauda(m): 4:57am On May 28, 2006
There are lots of chieftaincy titles out there that have nothing to do with sacrifices or occultism. Do you know how many Otunbas are out there now? These Kings are chieftaincy mills and they are churning them out in droves. You can get one if you can afford it. I'm saving for one.
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by IAH(f): 10:17am On May 28, 2006
@Kellybaba, We are not Igbos. So rule out oracle, igwes,etc. That might be the case in Igboland. Dauda has said it all. In Yorubaland, Chieftaincy titles are just what the king uses to enrich his purse. You give him some money or a car and he rewards you with a title. That's it. My Palle is not even a native of the town where he was given the title so he definitely cannot be among the council, his own is just honorary.
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by jagunlabi(m): 3:20pm On May 28, 2006
Will a christian be able to accept a knighthood,then?Or does that go against God,too?
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by Dauda(m): 1:10am On May 29, 2006
I'm catholic and I'm saving for the catholic knighthood too. Pretty soon I will be called Sir OTUNBA Dauda. PhD. That's cool grin grin grin
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by Ndipe(m): 10:06am On Apr 16, 2007
Jangulabi, very good question that you asked about a Christian accepting knighthood. I dont know what being conferred a knight entails, but I am beginning to think that it is quite similar to accepting a chieftaincy title, and as such should be avoided at all cost. Even if it is a honorary title, please dont, it is just a bait, that may have damning consequences. As for knighthood, I dont know what is involved in the ceremony, but if there is any incantation or so, then, it is just a gloss, to perpetuate the 'honoree' into bondage.
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by spoilt(f): 1:30am On Apr 19, 2007
what exactly is a chieftaincy title? grin grin grin
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by romeo(m): 2:26pm On Dec 15, 2007
Bunch of ignorants!!! is eating egusi soup good for christians too?
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by MP007(m): 10:31am On Dec 16, 2007
depends on what the title is all about, most traditional titles are demonic but some are just "conventional"
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by samparian(m): 3:47am On Jan 30, 2009
Let me educate those who dont know about the igbo tradition and titles.
I'm from a royal family by birth. My uncle is a well known evengelist in the catholic community and he has preached the gosple beyond the shores of naija despite the fact that he's a prince with royal ancestry.
in my community, we have the Igwe who is the traditional head. to be an igwe involves a lot and it is the only office i would ask a true christian not to accept because it involves a lot which is hidden. As an igwe you'll have to meet with various kinds of people including witch doctors, occultists and badddd sons of bitches!! including notorious igwes you'll be meeting during the traditional heads council of your state. grin you got to be prepared for the battle.
then, there are cheiftancy titles which is just harmless. No initiations or incantions. It's just a ceremony which the igwe uses to enrich himself like the obas who dash out otumba.
to get that, you have to be rich and willing to dole out some pocket money for the igwe. If i didnt have the Prince title attached to my name, i'd go for one of those grin

then, there is the NZE na Ozor title which deals with the fetish. It's never given to anyone, no matter how rich. you must desire it and go for it your self.
The Nze na ozor title seeker will have to go through stuff which his wife must not even know and he'll go through initiation rites with the chief priest and other Nze na Ozor holders. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT IS ALWAYS DENIED.
on the eve of the conferment of the title, some old men will come to the house of the guy who will recieve the title and play the big wooden ekwe (i dont know the english words) and another stuff(i dont know the name) till day break.
it has a spititual undertone.
the Ichie title is also harmless, unless you're invited into the Igwe's cabinet as a member.
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by tamme: 3:00am On Oct 11, 2009
chieftancy=juju
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by biina: 8:10am On Oct 11, 2009
tamme:

chieftancy=juju
evidence? undecided
How many cultures and/or traditions did you investigate before reaching your conclusion?

Its always saddening when a Nigerian is quick to condemn his ancestry, simply in the name of an adopted religion undecided
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by Abagworo(m): 4:24am On Oct 12, 2009
and then what makes y'all feel christianity is right and traditional religion is wrong?i dey worship amadioha,orisa and i go soon take my ozo title.
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by chuksbala: 1:26pm On Dec 13, 2011
I checked on this to find out a real reason a honourary chieftancy title has should not be accepted by a christian. All I have seen seem to be sentiments and no reason. Can someone tell me about SAN: Honourary Degrees PHD etc, GO and all the honours given to pastors for their good humanitarian works in the society? Something is clearly not clear to me with respect to tradition and chritianity. Someone quoted do not be unequally yoked. I wonder where he workes, lives, plays and worships and hope he is sorounded by angels 24/7. Let us start from 1Sam from Chapter 2. This talks about to origin of Kingship and God supported it. Romans13:1, quoting from the King James Version (KJV), the Bible says: “Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God; the powers that be are ordained of God. Saint Peter further confirms this view in his letter (1 Pet 2:13-14a) that: “Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king; as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers” . Romans 13:2, Saint Paul says: “Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

I am not a preacher people, but it may interest you that 99.9% of our churches recognize "His Excellency" "Honourable" Otunba, Chiefs, Emirs etc and have them in church. I am only hoping that we all dont become extremists as I tend to see a lot of our traditional values being eroded soon by foreign values all in the name of religion. My traditional value calls Mariage a union BETWEEN MAN AND WOMAN. Today I dont understand what it is called. My traditional values says we should not steal, kill, commit adualtry. These are values which the Bible agrees with. Hence our Tradition and Chritianity have areas of agreement and areas of conflict. In the areas of conflict a true christian should know what to choose. To assume that you are given a honourary traditional title as a bait to drag you to the devil is assuming that you are born on earth to drag you to sin and iniquity which sorrounds us. We should be careful. TRUTH is DIFFERENT FROM FACTS
THE FACT IS THAT WE ARE ALL CHRISTIANS BUT THE TRUTH IS THAT WE ARE NOT
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:12pm On Dec 13, 2011
Abagworo:

and then what makes y'all feel christianity is right and traditional religion is wrong?i dey worship amadioha,orisa and i go soon take my ozo title.

^HEAR! HEAR! THESE CHRISTIANS DONT VALUE THE TRUE TRADITIONS! [size=16pt]WE MUST ALL COME TOGETHER, BURN CHURCHES AND BUILD SHRINES TO OUR GODS! [/size] angry angry angry angry

(Im already working on it. christianity willn soon become the new Juju and be kicked out of Nigeria along with all them white robed Juju missionaries and pastor-witches) wink

[size=64pt]TO OLODUMARE! TO AMADIOHA! TO SAARKIN ALJIN![/size]

THE GODS FOR NIGERIA!

[img]http://www.vub.ac.be/BIBLIO/nieuwenhuysen/african-art/images/afr819.jpg[/img]
Re: Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles by amor4ce(m): 9:31pm On Dec 13, 2011
Romans 3:2

(1) (Reply)

Ahmad Garba Gunna Emerges New Emir Of Kagara / What Is The Meaning Of “ezemo?” / When Was Ile Ife Founded?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.