Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Igbo Chieftaincy Titles - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Chieftaincy Titles (77984 Views)

The Benefits And Possible Consequences Of Taking Chieftaincy Title / Traditional Chieftaincy Titles: Do We Need Them? / Christians And Traditional Chieftaincy Titles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by LogicMind: 11:46am On Jan 04, 2012
What are the current chieftaincy titles in your place? And their meanings?
I like the "sound" of our chieftaincy names because it says a lot about how we igbos see ourselves.
Re: Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by AndreUweh(m): 7:54pm On Jan 04, 2012
Uba zuo oke-Let wealth go round.
Ogbaka ohia-a famous hunter.
Onwa na etiri owa- man of the people, a philanthropist.
Ochiri ozuo-a helper, especially with the less privileged.
Ada oha-the community's famous daughter
Nneoha-the community's mother of substance
Okeosisi-the great one.
Ebube dike-The whirl wind.
Aka ji mba-the people's livewire.
Okpu uzu-The engineer.
Udo ka mma-peace is supreme.
Ome Udo-the peacemaker
Akwa akwuru-the unshaken.
more soon

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:24pm On Jan 05, 2012
Onowu = me dont know
Odanwa = me dont know
Nwajiuba = a child holds wealth
Akuchukwu=wealth from God
Nwakibie= Best among equals
Nnaebuo= a male child who will become a father
Nwadialor=(my OZO title name given to me by my grand father; it means a valued child)
Nwanonukpo-eze = a child who sits in the royal chair(my younger brothers OZO title name)
Agbalanze= Custodian of Nze na Ozo institution( given to high ranking titled men only and their is only one Agbalanze in each village of our town)
Ugonabo=complete greatness(one of the highest Ozo cult,usually taken by rich men) my people will say ogbenye ada aza Ugonabo, haha ijikwa ego ?
You can recognize Ugonabos by the two feathers on their red Ozo cap.
This is the title I will go for when I become richer!!
Re: Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by odumchi: 6:22am On Oct 08, 2012
This thread is very interesting. I find the thunderous Idemili titles ground-shaking and the gentle Isinweke titles graceful. I've also heard of "Dike di oha nma" (the good warrior of the people), "Aka na-eti nkwa" (the hand the plays the drums), and "Agu ji egbe" (the leopard with a gun).

I, personally, have nothing to offer to this thread since Arochukwu doesn't award chieftaincy titles. However I would like to see more contributions.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:28am On Oct 08, 2012
I remember this thread...Been over a year. I will come back later and write on different level of "Nze na Ozo" and how they are taken..@Andre,do you have "Nze na Ozo" in Isinweke ?
Re: Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by AndreUweh(m): 5:28pm On Oct 08, 2012
NRI PRIEST: I remember this thread...Been over a year. I will come back later and write on different level of "Nze na Ozo" and how they are taken..@Andre,do you have "Nze na Ozo" in Isinweke ?
Yes, we do have them.
Re: Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by odumchi: 9:09pm On Oct 08, 2012
In Arochukwu title-granting institutions are replaced with leopard societies. The primary leopard society in Arochukwu is Ekpe, and our particular version of Ekpe is divided into seven age grades.

The functions of the age grades are similar to those of chieftancy title since they are both meant to recognize distinguished members of the society. However, membership into an age grade is not merely purchased with money but also requires the completion of a series of intricate rituals.

Here are five (out of the seven) Ekpe age grades of Arochukwu that I remember:

Mboko (the highest)
Itaata
Ikanga
Akang
Ebenko

1 Like

Re: Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:24pm On Oct 08, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Yes, we do have them.

Wow,that's very interesting. What are the grades and which is the highest? How are the rituals performed ? Do you guys do "imacha ozo" ? I'm really interested in knowing the similarities between ours and you guys. Do you guys also have "Igba Odu" the women equivalent of "nze na ozo" ?

Re: Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by AndreUweh(m): 9:37pm On Oct 10, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Wow,that's very interesting. What are the grades and which is the highest? How are the rituals performed ? Do you guys do "imacha ozo" ? I'm really interested in knowing the similarities between ours and you guys. Do you guys also have "Igba Odu" the women equivalent of "nze na ozo" ?
In Isinweke, what we have now are:coucil of Ndi Ichie-mostly men in their seventies.
Coucil of Ndi nze (mostly great achievers in the community e.g Nze Ozichukwu Chukwu, former PDP south east chairman.
Eze-not hereditary but by election.
My community has witnessed a lot of changes since the 70's. Some titles like the ozos are no longer relevant.
Their is women's council-association of married women. They do not interfare with the activities of the Eze in council.
Their roles include, clearing of market places, clearing of roads, looking into women who cheat on their husbands etc. They also settles disputes between women. But anyone they can't handle, is brought to the Eze's cabinet.
Re: Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by ifyalways(f): 11:10am On Oct 11, 2012
Onowu = Prime minister.A very powerful position.
Not necessarily a title but a position.Just as there can't be 2 kings in a town at any given time,there never are 2 Onowus at same time. . .I stand to be corrected though.

@Topic,female chieftancy titles:
Ada di Ora nma= the daughter with whom the village is well pleased.
Nne Ora= mother of all

1 Like

Re: Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:57pm On Oct 14, 2012
Women:
Ononenyi=She who sits in a high place.
Odibeze=She who resides in a palace.
Akunwefi=wealth of a calf.

These are "Iyom" titles name,the equivalent of "Nze n' Ozo" for men.
Re: Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by WilderPeters: 8:10pm On Jan 12, 2022
The content here is terrific, as poetry is loved by most individual. If you want to get some tips, ask the people about https://www.royaltitles.net/ they will give you some composing tips. I am sure that they will help you out.
Re: Igbo Chieftaincy Titles by ErvinParisian: 7:58am On Nov 23, 2023
Try testing your level of knowledge about geography in seterra. The first step is with America, then expand globally. How many cities and countries can you guess correctly?

(1) (Reply)

Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba / Ooni Of Ife Ogunwusi Catwalks At Fashion Show In Lagos (photos) / Where Is Oduduwa Really From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.