Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,891 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, (1634 Views)

RiversRerun: 93-Year-Old Grandma Votes For PDP (Photos) / Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) / Yar'adua Seeks End To Immunity For Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Nobody: 7:42am On Jul 25, 2013
Constitution amendments: Reps vote for Local Govt autonomy, scrap SIECs

… reject immunity for President, govs, adopt 87 clauses

The House of Representatives yesterday voted in support of local government autonomy.

The lawmakers adopted 87 clauses for amendment.

And in a rare feat the House held its plenary until past 11p.m. yesterday.

Two hundred and ninety- three lawmakers voted in support of financial autonomy for the 774 local governments in the country.

The Senate had last week voted against the clause, seeking administrative and financial autonomy for the third tier of government.

The implication is that both the Senate and the House would have to do a conference on the disagreement.

Also the 36 states Houses of Assembly will have to ratify the amendments to the constitution.

The House also voted against the retention of immunity for president, vice president, governors and their deputies. Two hundred and ninety-two lawmakers voted against immunity for the president and state governors while 22 voted for the retention of the clause in the constitution.

There was also a ray of hope for state agitators as 305 lawmakers voted in support of removal of hindrances to creation of new states. Three hundred and two legislators voted for the amendment of the ambiguities and boundary adjournment while 22 voted against.

The lawmakers also voted for the scrapping of the State Independent Electoral Commissions, SIECs.

Contrary to expectations yesterday, the lawmakers resorted to a last-minute adoption of the manual voting in the clause-by-clause amendment of some sections of the 1999 Constitution.

The House had suspended voting on the constitution amendment for the second time in one week in favour of electronic voting system.

But the nocturnal voting, however, breached rules, as the House failed to suspend relevant rules to extend the session which was still on at press time.

The time to end sittings, according to the House Rule book, is 2p.m. when the House Leader is supposed to raise a motion for adjournment.

In the sixth assembly, the sitting time was fixed for 10a.m. and adjournment time set for 1p.m., but Aminu Tambuwal’s House moved it to 11a.m., fixing the adjournment time for 2p.m.

Yesterday’s plenary would be the first time in 10 years that the House would be sitting for that long to vote on a constitution or any matter.

The closest the House came collectively to a prolonged sitting was in 2005 when its Joint Committee on Finance and Appropriations sat in a packed committee room till 10:30p.m. on the 2006 budget.

The voting was not without hitches yesterday as the officials of the Nigerian Communications Satellite, NigComSat, led by its Director-General, Engr. Ahmed Rufai, contracted to facilitate the exercise could not fix the voting devices installed in the chamber.

After several failed attempts, the House resorted to manual voting by the 327 members present, a process that was cumbersome, compelling the chamber to sit for several hours on Wednesday.

Visitors, including members of the civil society groups, who filled the gallery in the morning to observe the process, sat and waited patiently throughout the duration of the session presided by the Speaker, Aminu Tambuwal.

But they later left in disappointment when as at 5:30p.m. the results of the voting exercise was still being collated by parliamentary officials under the supervision of the Clerk of the House, Mohammed Omolori.

The lawmakers on Tuesday emerged from a closed door session that lasted for almost three hours to adjourn voting for yesterday to allow members obtain and use the ipad devices supplied them for voting electronically.

Tambuwal after the resumed session had appealed to Nigerians “to please bear with the House for the long closed session.”

He explained that the prolonged closed session and the House decision to defer voting on the 1999 Constitution to Wednesday was because “members decided to adopt the electronic system in the voting so as to make it faster and more effective”.

The supplier and installer of the electronic system that is connected to each ipad device is NigComSAT.

The Director General of NigcomSAT, The NigcomSAT boss, Rufai, who had lectured the lawmakers on the use of the device, had said after the closed session that “the system has been tested and would be ready for use onWednesday.”

He added: “360 tablets were shipped from Lagos and the application has been tested and it will be possible for members to vote from their ipads and that all what members need to do is to charge their devices overnight.”

Members who spoke with newsmen had expressed optimism that lawmakers “would vote according to their conscience” and according to the wishes of the people”.

Source
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by buoye1(m): 8:12am On Jul 25, 2013
Ci kena
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 25, 2013
"is nt easy to carry second possition in a competition lyk dis.." Space bookd while i soak my garri
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by camelus: 8:35am On Jul 25, 2013
Good one by House of Rep Members but U Pple should also add that Public Office Holder's should not send their Children abroad for Studies & Public Office Occupants as well as their Relatives should not be treated abroad too while Sick lets know whether they will fix Our Educational & Health Sector... Very important.
Moreso U Pple should make provision for State creation inorder to correct imbalance on States according to regions so to have a true reflection of Federalism.
Naija i hail thee !
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Tos87(m): 8:54am On Jul 25, 2013
Ğ☺☺∂ one, strongly hope is soon passed into law.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Tos87(m): 8:55am On Jul 25, 2013
Ğ☺☺∂ one, strongly hope is soon passed into law.
Fourth Ţ☹ comment thou... grin
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by olatunde1234: 9:10am On Jul 25, 2013
Good move by House of Rep. This is what good citizens of Nigeria is waiting for, how on earth you run goverment for 2 years without elected local goverment chairmen and coucilors and you call that democracy? It's like house of rep are working while senators busy looking for female child to fu<k
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by beylinko(m): 9:16am On Jul 25, 2013
For once they are putting into use the huge amount of money Nigerians pay to them each month. Good move and I pray this doesn't drag on so long.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Tolexander: 9:32am On Jul 25, 2013
Interested in following this to the end!
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by takedat(m): 9:40am On Jul 25, 2013
Financial Autonomy for Local Governments is a Victory for Democracy!

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by AkinDavid2: 9:46am On Jul 25, 2013
I hope this is the final freedom the LGA needs. Grassroot development can start in earnest and not the usual Abuja we come in order to claim allocation.

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by kokoA(m): 10:03am On Jul 25, 2013
I've noticed that the present house of rep under Tanbual is more sympathetic to the cries of Nigerians. How on earth can anybody who is interested in the progress of our country vote to retain immunity for executives, vote against granting autonomy to the third tier of government and vote in favour of abusing our innocent girls. This present senate is a disgrace to civilisation.

2 Likes

Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Nobody: 10:05am On Jul 25, 2013
Two hundred and ninety- three lawmakers voted in support of financial autonomy for the 774 local governments in the country.

The Senate had last week voted against the clause, seeking administrative and financial autonomy for the third tier of government.

The implication is that both the Senate and the House would have to do a conference on the disagreement.

Only God knows how long this "conference" will take.

Must we have a bicameral parliament?
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by awodman: 10:07am On Jul 25, 2013
For the first time I am pleased with the Tambuwal led house for taking a good stand on an important national issue rather than unnecessary grandstanding and playing to the gallery..

local govt autonomy is the right way to go if development should be felt @ every part of this country.Kudos to them for removing electricity and railway management from the exclusive list to concurrent list which means that states are free to build and manage railways and also generate and distribute electricity.

However I think removal of immunity clause from president,Governors and their deputies would subject this officials to unnecessary distractions thereby bringing up more excuses for non-performance.

Kudos to ACN reps for ignoring party directive to vote against LG autonomy and other vital clauses.

Finally let's hope that the gains made won't be lost when the amendment gets to the state house of assemblies especially that of LG autonomy.

Once more kudos to the members of the House of Representatives.

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:12am On Jul 25, 2013
Just abt time!

Just remove the immunity clause first and watch me...
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by kokoA(m): 10:18am On Jul 25, 2013
awodman: For the first time I am pleased with the Tambuwal led house for taking a good stand on an important national issue rather than unnecessary grandstanding and playing to the gallery..

local govt autonomy is the right way to go if development should be felt @ every part of this country.Kudos to them for removing electricity and railway management from the exclusive list to concurrent list which means that states are free to build and manage railways and also generate and distribute electricity.

However I think removal of immunity clause from president,Governors and their deputies would subject this officials to unnecessary distractions thereby bringing up more excuses for non-performance.

Kudos to ACN reps for ignoring party directive to vote against LG autonomy and other vital clauses.

Finally let's hope that the gains made won't be lost when the amendment gets to the state house of assemblies especially that of LG autonomy.

I agree with you on the local government issue, but completely disagree on the immunity issue. We are all equal before the law. President, governors and their deputies will be forced to behave properly if this "immunity" thing is taken out of our constitution knowing fully well that they can be summoned by the court of law to answer for their misdeeds. You mentioned 'distraction'.. My brother, let's be sincere, now that they are not being 'distracted', can you vouch that they are going about their duties to the best of their abilities?

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 25, 2013
see difference btw senators n reps...our senators r useless
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by awodman: 10:35am On Jul 25, 2013
kokoA: I agree with you on the local government issue, but completely disagree on the immunity issue. We are all equal before the law. President, governors and their deputies will be forced to behave properly if this "immunity" thing is taken out of our constitution knowing fully well that they can be summoned by the court of law to answer for their misdeeds. You mentioned 'distraction'.. My brother, let's be sincere, now that they are not being 'distracted', can you vouch that they are going about their duties to the best of their abilities?
When I say distractions I mean people bringing up all sort of frivolous applications..and instead of concentrating on the work @ hand the official involved will spend time fighting court cases and remember public funds will be spent pursuing this cases...don't forget since they still fire and hire they can also have a great influence on the jury
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 25, 2013
awodman:
When I say distractions I mean people bringing up all sort of frivolous applications..and instead of concentrating on the work @ hand the official involved will spend time fighting court cases and remember public funds will be spent pursuing this cases...don't forget since they still fire and hire they can also have a great influence on the jury

Frivolous lawsuits are a price worth paying for the removal of a clause that has long provided cover for gratuitous thievery. Mind you, I am confident that mechanisms will be put in place to address your concerns at any rate.

It is time the highest offices in the land only attracted serious minded folks as opposed to common criminals with little aptitude for public administration.
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 25, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Frivolous lawsuits are a price worth paying for the removal of a clause that has long provided cover for gratuitous thievery. Mind you, I am confident that mechanisms will be put in place to address your concerns at any rate.

It is time the highest offices in the land only attracted serious minded folks as opposed to common criminals with little aptitude for public administration.

What mechanisms will/can be put in place to prevent a state governor from dipping his hands into state coffers to hire top-dollar lawyers to defend him in frivolous court cases?
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by CrimzP(m): 11:13am On Jul 25, 2013
I'm so happy that the House of Reps actually listened to the cries of Nigerians, especially in this LGA autonomy. Unlike the senate who are just there for themselves. I guess the senate needs to take a leave from the house of Rep members as to how to listen to Nigerians and their wants.
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 25, 2013
HNosegbe:

What mechanisms will/can be put in place to prevent a state governor from dipping his hands into state coffers to hire top-dollar lawyers to defend him in frivolous court cases?

Trick question, I see grin

I am not suggesting that it is possible to deny a corrupt governor access to a state's treasury, far from it.
My point was more about addressing lingering fears which are informed by the view that, by removing the blanket cover provided for such acts, we would somehow be opening the floodgates for all manner of litigation.

There are many countries that operate without the provisions afforded by an immunity clause, you know - where you don't hear reports of frivolous lawsuits being filed against public administrators.
When I have a bit more time on my hands, I intend to put a more detailed list for illustrative purposes.

Malaysia
In Malaysia, an amendment to the constitution in 1993 made it possible to bring proceedings against the king or any ruler of a component state in the Special Court. Prior to 1993, rulers, in their personal capacity, were immune from any proceedings brought against them.

Norway
Article 5 of the Constitution of Norway states: The King's person is sacred; he cannot be censured or accused. The responsibility rests with his Council.[9] Accordingly the monarch cannot be prosecuted or sued in his or her personal capacity, but this immunity does not extend to the state as such.

Ireland
In Byrne v Ireland, the Irish Supreme Court declared that sovereign immunity had not survived the creation of the Irish Free State in 1922, and that accordingly the state could be sued for and held vicariously liable for the acts and omissions of its servants and agents.

Belgium
Article 88 of the Constitution of Belgium states: The King’s person is inviolable; his ministers are accountable.

Australia
There is no automatic Crown immunity in Australia, although the Crown may be explicitly or implicitly immune from any particular statute. There is a rebuttable presumption that the Crown is not bound by a statute: Bropho v State of Western Australia. The Crown's immunity may also apply to other parties in certain circumstances: see Australian Competition and Consumer Commission v Baxter Healthcare.
Source: Wikipedia
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by KwoiZabo(m): 12:00pm On Jul 25, 2013
awodman: For the first time I am pleased with the Tambuwal led house for taking a good stand on an important national issue rather than unnecessary grandstanding and playing to the gallery..

Is that so? Thank God Tinubu will not use LG funds to sponsor ACN again and we are now fully ready to take up more LG's from this ACN in lagos.
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by taharqa2: 12:11pm On Jul 25, 2013

I fully and completely align myself with this comment....

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by taharqa2: 12:26pm On Jul 25, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Complete Removal of Immunity now in today's Nigerian political climate wud be a terrible mistake, regardless of what we all agree may be severe need for it. The negative consequence of such a move, in terms of practicali grounding the same thing we hope to improve by removing d clause- governance, wud far exceed any possible intended benefits..... I say look for other smarter but effective means to holding Chief Executives to account when they do wrong, including making them pay for such wrongs whilst still in service, without exposing the whole system to the shallowness of d current Nigeria's Political craze. Proposals like d Separatn of d Office of d Attorney General from that of d Justice Minister and hence away from d direct Apron Strings of d Executives at both Federal and State levels And Financial Autonomy for d State Houses of Assembly, which were also passed by d House (and I think d Senate) readily come to mind...
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Crownvilla(m): 12:38pm On Jul 25, 2013
@ All Legal Eagles and those well versed in the workings of the Nigerian parliament and constitution.

What happens next? Is this now law or are there further procedures/hurdles to clear?
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by DerideGull(m): 12:40pm On Jul 25, 2013
I say Kudos to the House of Representatives for the support of administrative and financial autonomy for Local Governments as well as the abrogation of State Independent Electoral Commissions, SIECs.
These moves are signs of grass root democracy. There is no need for SIECS since Nigeria has INEC which is capable of conducting any form of state election.

In addition, I call for scraping of Senate and position of governors in Nigeria. The Senate has become a useless body and governors have become despotic. Anybody such as Senate, which did not deem it necessary to extend democracy to the level of local government, has no place in Nigeria.
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by ACM10: 12:42pm On Jul 25, 2013
DerideGull: I say Kudos to the House of Representatives for the support of administrative and financial autonomy for Local Governments as well as the abrogation of State Independent Electoral Commissions, SIECs.
These moves are signs of grass root democracy. There is no need for SIECS since Nigeria has INEC which is capable of conducting any form of state election.

In addition, I call for scraping of Senate and position of governors in Nigeria. The Senate has become a useless body and governors have become despotic. Anybody, such as Senate, which did not deem it necessary to extend democracy to the local governemnt level has no place in Nigeria.

You know it's never gonna happen.
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Crownvilla(m): 12:42pm On Jul 25, 2013
@ MODS

FRONT PAGE, PLEASE!!!!
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 25, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Trick question, I see grin

I am not suggesting that it is possible to deny a corrupt governor access to a state's treasury, far from it.
My point was more about addressing lingering fears which are informed by the view that, by removing the blanket cover provided for such acts, we would somehow be opening the floodgates for all manner of litigation.

There are many countries that operate without the provisions afforded by an immunity clause, you know - where you don't hear reports of frivolous lawsuits being filed against public administrators.
When I have a bit more time on my hands, I intend to put a more detailed list for illustrative purposes.

Source: Wikipedia

Lol @ "trick question"...

But seriously, eGuerrilla, surely you can't be comparing Nigeria with other countries when it comes to this extremely sensitive issue? Do you think such countries are as polarised as Nigeria? Do their leaders have the freedom to access and divert public funds with impunity like is the case in Nigeria?

Also, do you know how long court cases last in Nigeria vis-a-vis other countries? Heck, a governor can complete his two terms in office before the conclusion of a case brought against him during his first term.

Besides, I observe that none of the countries you mentioned operate the same federal/presidential system in place here. That is an important difference.
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Danhumprey: 12:50pm On Jul 25, 2013
This is the type of representation we need! Not those stupid,childish display of the Senate when instead of voting on pressing and important issues of governance like granting Local government autonomy,removal of immunity from public office holders,et al,they allowed themselves to be 'blackmailed'(to use the word of the Senate president)by a peadophile Senator into voting for child marriage. I hope the House of Reps would see to the end of these important bills.
Re: House Of Reps Votes For LG Autonomy, Rejects Immunity For President And Govs, by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 25, 2013
Crownvilla: @ All Legal Eagles and those well versed in the workings of the Nigerian parliament and constitution.

What happens next? Is this now law or are there further procedures/hurdles to clear?

The two houses have to harmonise their amendments and arrive at a common position (only God knows how long that will take).

Then, the harmonised amendment will be subjected to a vote from the 36 state houses of Assembly. At least 2/3 (24 of them) will have to assent to it.

The amendment will then be signed into law by the president.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Making Bayelsa The Dubai Of Africa / Nigerian Senate Approves New Punishment For Rapists (A Must See) / Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) Is Very Biased And Partisan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.