Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,074 members, 7,957,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:58 AM

Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores (37407 Views)

Meet The 'controversial' MBAISE People Of Imo State / Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today / The Tortoise And The Snake - A Yoruuba Folk Tale [contrast To America's Tale] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by Nobody: 2:55am On Jun 27, 2008
ifyalways:

lol
kiridim kidim cheesy
Eche when would Tortoise finally die? tongue

not as long as you keep borrowing him feathers for his journey back to earth from heaven.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 1:11pm On Jun 30, 2008
aaaaah Ok cheesy
@Eche my grannie told me sometime abt "OUR hERO" and the dancing tree cheesy .you want to hear? tongue
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 6:12pm On Jun 30, 2008
E no go bad if you tell us wink
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 6:23pm On Jun 30, 2008
I will tell mine soon smiley
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 6:31pm On Jun 30, 2008
This thread reminds me when I was a kid my parents told us a lot about tortoise
Do you know that I went to the market one day while I was in Nigeria and I happened to see tortoise
I called the tortoise (MBE ONYE AGHUGHO) and immediately dam tortoise went back to his shell and never came out till I left. That made me to believe all the story been told about the tortoise.

I will still type my own story later
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 6:33pm On Jun 30, 2008
rubi:

I called the tortoise (MBE ONYE AGHUGHO) and immediately dam tortoise went back to his shell and never came out till I left. That made me to believe all the story been told about the tortoise.

The heck! Your so funny grin
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 3:59am On Jul 01, 2008
I have forgotten some parts of the story  sad sad sad sad just remembered this now  cheesy
tortoise and the 7 princesses !
    Once upon a time in Kinshaha cheesy,there lived a king with seven very beautiful daughters.He was so loved by his people,The land of Kinshaha was blessed and peaceful,they harvest the best yams,their palm oil is the best and their cassava make the best fufu  cheesy
  Now the kings seven daughters lived in the palace but in seclusion.They only go out in the evenings for an evening bath in the stream somewhere very close to Tortoises house.Moreso,nobody(Xcept the king),not even their personal maids/aides knows the names of any of the princesses,they always refer to them by numbers,No 1,No2etc.
Now the Princesses No 1 is ripe and ready for marriage,men were trooping in and out of the palace,princes from far land and even kings,seeking for her hand in marriage.They all come out of the palace dissappointed because the king refused to talk with any one of them.He was in deep thoughts . . . .thinking of a way to get the best of the best for his pretty daughter,the queen-in-waiting.After some 3 days spent alone in his inner chamber,lost in thoughts and somle consultations with the elders,he decided that whoever would get the name of his 7 daughters correctly would marry the beautiful princess and even be made the king of Kinshaha after his death.
the die is cast ! men went to work.soothsayers were consulted by many,lots went to herbalists,but yet none was able to come up with the name of even one of the gals tongue when Tortoise heard about it,he went to his dead father and asked for a trick that would make him get the names of the princesses,lol,he was not disappointed,the cunny-ever ready papa gladly gave him a solution.he told him that the princesses love "utu" fruit alot.utu is a kind of wild cherry  kiss so he should use the utu fruit to get their names.
  Tortoise set to work,he planned and planned and planned and finally he came up with a solution and Yes he was even so sure its going to work.Infact hes 100% sure about that.He even ever before he set the trap,went boasting in town that hes going to mary the princess and be the next king  cheesy As usual,no one took him serious,he stands no chance they all said.
  One evening,after days spent on monitoring the 7 princesses on their way to and fro from the evening bath at the stream,Tortoise decided that its high time to execute his plans.he set off to work ! He got 7 very fresh and succulent "utus"  grin and arranged it every carefully by the banks of the stream,he also left a broken earthenware pot beside it and went to hide in the bush awaiting the arrival of the princesses.he didnt have to wait for long,Behold the brides arrival smiley
  On arrival and sighting the well arranged and tempting "utus" the 7 gals made for it and ofcos ate it all. sad just as they were tru with their "utu meal and were almost ready to have their evening bath,Tortoise came out from his hiding place in tears and asked about his utu. he tols them stories of how he broke an earthenware pot belonging to the lion and how he left it there with his utu and rushed home to see if he can get his friend the snail to help repair the pot.Now,who took his utu 
  see wahala ooooh,the Tortoise was in tears,seriously  cheesy the youngest of the gals was very emotional and cudnt stand Tortoise tears anymore so she said
1st girl: oh please it was my sister NNE that saw the utu and called our attention to it.
nne had to defend herself ,abi?  cheesy
nne said,how cud you say something like this NGOZI,it was NKECHI that gave me di utu.
nkechi was like:its a lie,it was CHIOMA that gave me just a half.
chioma said:No,it wasnt me joo,it was IFEOMA that gave me to eat.
ifeoma said nope,it wasnt me,it was UCHECHI that gave me.
uchechi said not her!,it was ADA that called her attentionto the utu.
lol;Tortoise now have all their names. cheesy pretty princesses,don't worry your fine selves he told them,am going to find a way of getting another utu.he happily rushed homehes going to marry the kings first daughter ADA.
The next day,every early in the morning,he called all his friends,infact he woke them from sleep.He told them to come and go with him,hes going to be the next king,he knows the name of the 7 princesses.sighs and hisses filled the air.imagine! this joker(tortoise) woke us all up for this rubbish,he possibly can't be serious they said but he insisted they all go with him and grudgingly they left for the kings palace with him.
  The king after hearing Tortoises' purpose of visit was LMAO.how can he,a nobody know tha names of his daughters?princes and kings and even notable men have tired and failed . . . .No he just have to be joking.Tortoise stood his grounds.he has come to claim his wife.Well,the king now gave him audience and as expected,Tortoise gently but accurately gave out the names of the 7 princesses.the king was suprised,he was shocked  shocked shocked shocked,he was sad  sad sad sad how cud it be Tortoise ooh lawddy  cheesy
  He being a man of his words,however had to give his daughter to Tortoise.people that came with Tortoise cudnt believe it,Tortoise their next king shocked lol
Tortoise was over the moon with joy  cheesy where men and kings have failed woefully,him a near nobody in the society has succeded.well,he came home with ADA the first daughter and the king gave him everything he promised him.He later became the king of Kinshaha land  cheesy
  oya no go ooh  cheesy ,tell me wetin u learn from my sunday school story
@Eche sim ga rahu ura  sad
never ever underestimate/underate anyone !
     You have a dream?,work towards achieving it,hold on to it!
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 4:06am On Jul 01, 2008
rubi:

Do you know that I went to the market one day while I was in Nigeria and I happened to see tortoise

lmao.he heard you ! ! ! cheesy
we are waiting for your story ooooo
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 4:27pm On Jul 01, 2008
Once upon a time time!!! time!!!! tortoise and other animals were invited for a party. So they all gathered together and decided that everyone of them must choose a name to avoid confusion and to be identified properly when they got to the party, so tortoise been smart enough waited for them to choose a name and he was the last to choose, do you know the name he chose (UNU DUM) and he made each one to swear to stick by their names they all agreed and thanked him for such initialization.

When they got to the party hall lo and behold it was a big occasion and different variety of food was prepared so when the programme reached item NO SIX (6) and since the animals are very plenty the people serving the food decided that they will put the food in one big bowl for the animals to eat together. When they brought out the food the only name they could mention is (UNU DUM) which means all of you should come and eat the great tortoise stood up as per his name and grab the food finish the whole of it without given any to his friends the second food came he did the same thing, the third food came he repeated the same thing until at a point the other animal got upset and wanted to kill the tortoise by then it was too late and the party was over also the whole food has finished they vowed never to go out with MBE but MBE WILL ALWAYS BE MBE
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 01, 2008
Infact ehn, this is the reason i love the igbo culture.
Reminds me of those days my uncle would place me on his knees and tell tortoise tales to us. smiley ha . . . if only you could freeze time.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 01, 2008
rubi:

He must have heard you. grin
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 8:27pm On Jul 01, 2008
@Rubi lol.
am still thinking abt Mbe and the dancing tree grin
Eche where art thou?
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 1:02pm On Jul 02, 2008
ifyalways:

@Eche sim ga rahu ura  sad
What can I say?

@rubi
I think ifyalways has already told that story earlier on  wink

@ify
On that story of Tortoise and the Dancing Tree, I could recall our reading it on one of our sec. sch. English textbooks - Intensive English - not sure now. Anyway, thanks for you last story!
Q: For mentioning Ifeoma as one of the princesses, does it mean you are married to mbe  grin
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 5:19pm On Jul 02, 2008
@Eche,yes ,It must be Intensive English.
echelon:

Q: For mentioning Ifeoma as one of the princesses, does it mean you are married to mbe grin
you can say that again cheesy
@Topic Tortoise and the unusual thing ! cheesy
Once upon a time,Tortoise's mother,agadi nwanyi-babe was sick and at the point of death,age was not on her side anymore sad so she called her One and Only son Mbe and told him that she wud soon be joining her forefathers.She adviced Tortoise that he should try to get something doing,anything at all instead of lazying abt the whole town.She told him abt his late Dad, Nze akpa aghugho cheesy ,how hardworking he was and how ppl respected him.She then lastly told him abt their ancient landmarks.
The other animals were secretly observing and monitoring what was going on in Tortoises' household and were all waiting patiently for the day agadi nwanyi-babe wud finally kick the bucket .Their reasons were that :
There was famine in the land and burials provide an avenue for free food and drinks.
Tortoise was a lazy man and has refused to work or farm.
Tortoise in the land in times past has NEVER missed a single burial in the town.infact,hes known as nwoke ulo onwu/akwa and he consumes lots of drinks and food at every burial he attends to so the ppl felt its payback time.
While the animals were planning and waiting impatiently,Tortoise was also in deep thoughts.He knew his profile wasnt good,hes not working,hes not planning to work in the near future,the mum wud soon die,burial in their town was expensive,burials cannot be avoided so Yes he just have to do something.he had to plan."YES ! i have got it" he said,i have to travell out of town.to where?what wud he tell his mum and other animals?there must be a way out undecided he had to sleep over it.
The next day,early in the morning,Tortoise called all the animals togeda in their house and told them a dream he had last nite.He claimed that his late father appeared to him in the dream and directed him to go to Ugboko a town 7 villages away from their town.He said the journey might take him months and so they shpould only send for him if something unusual cheesy happens the animals said ok,poured libations for him and wished him well.he left town grin
2 moons after he left,the mum agadi nwanyi-babe died in her sleep.The village was in a mourning mood for she was a good woman."where is Mbe?,"everbody asked.It was only then that everything began to fall in place. . . .they now understood what tortoise meant when he said "something unusual " Death is not unusual they all agreed.how do they bring Tortoise home to come and do his mums burial
Cunny man die,cunny man go bury am.Tortoise cant possibly fool the whole village so they sent for him.They told him that something unusual has happened.The palm tree is bringing forth orange fruits shocked cheesy .when Mbe got the message,he rushed home.when he got to his compd,he saw almost the whole village waiting for him.he was shocked shocked shocked .it was then that they told him that his mother has died,that was the unusual thing cheesy He has 3 mkt days to prepare for the burial ceremonies.lol
Finally somehow,Tortoise was beaten to his own game.He did the burial but not after selling his inheritance . . .the family farmland sad .too bad grin grin grin
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 5:41pm On Jul 02, 2008
Bravo! Ify. You took that story out of my mouth.

Actually they told him about 3 unusual things that happened:

1. That a man had got pregnant

2. That yam being boiled on the fire is germinating, and that

3. Palmfruits heads had grown at the tip of omu nkwu - the 'flower' of palmtrees  grin

The musician - Mike Ejeagha - told part of this story in one of his songs:

Udeze nwanne m, udeze nwanne m.
Ife melu be anyi
Nwoke atulu ime
Akwu chalu n'omu
Ji siri n'ite e pue ome
Udeze na anyi anaba anaba
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 5:46pm On Jul 02, 2008
echelon:

Bravo! Ify. You took that story out of my mouth.

Actually they told him about 3 unusual things that happened:

1. That a man had got pregnant

2. That yam being boiled on the fire is germinating, and that

3. Palmfruits heads had grown at the tip of omu nkwu - the 'flower' of palmtrees grin

The musician - Mike Ejeagha - told part of this story in one of his songs:

Udeze nwanne m, udeze nwanne m.
Ife melu be anyi
Nwoke atulu ime
Akwu chalu n'omu
Ji siri n'ite e pue ome
Udeze na anyi anaba anaba

Eche dont go so far.That song brings back memories sad
Its all good,for once mbe was beaten to the game.lmao
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 5:49pm On Jul 02, 2008
ifyalways:

Eche don't go so far.That song brings back memories sad

Unpleasant ones?
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 6:43pm On Jul 02, 2008
no.Unusual ones cheesy
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 7:11pm On Jul 03, 2008
Once upon a time, Totorise and other animal went out again because they have no choice than to hang out with the great MBE. This time they went to an old woman's who like to eat pepper a lot so this woman prepared a delicious meal with a lot of hot hot pepper in it Mbe told other animals that no one should complain to the woman that the food is spicy so that next time the woman will prepare another one for them.

When they all started to eat some started to shed tears because there is too much pepper and the woman that cooked the food saw those tears and thought it was tears of joy and they are enjoying her meal.

Tortoise was eating and was singing cunningly
since mu riwara mu emela si!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mu emela si, mu emela si!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since mu riwara mu emela si!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mu emela si!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mbe was trickily getting fresh air into his mouth and at the same time cunning other animals not to say anything so that hot pepper will roast their mouth.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 7:06am On Jul 04, 2008
Bravo! rubi. Trust mbediogu wink
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 9:58am On Jul 04, 2008
@rubi cheesy grin cheesy
@Topic, mbe and the lizard cheesy
Once Upon a time in Sagamo,Mbe was going for an evening stroll when he met the lizard on the way.They exchanged greetings and pleasantries and Mbe asked the lizard where he was heading to.The lizard said hes taking a stroll when he was actually heading for the gradmothers house for his nite meal but he didnt want to tell Mbe . . .he wanted no guest cheesy Mbe said Ok,thats good,am strolling around too,so lets do it togeda.
The next day,they both met at the same spot again,same time and Mbe asked lizard same question and he gave him the same answer.This time around,Mbe told him hes going to visit his friend the Antelope and so bid him farewell.The lizard continued to his grandmums house for his meal not knowing that the Tortoise was following him for he was suspecting that the lizard was keeping something away from him.He saw him go to the grandmums house and saw what he was going there for . . .a sumptous meal fit for the gods,for him alone ! ! ! shocked shocked shocked shocked "no way," he thought ! i must have to eat that food.
The next day,in the morning,he went to the lizards house and asked him why hes not gone to the farm.He voluntered to willingly go with him to HIS farm.lol The lizard was suprised shocked Tortoise that is too lazy to do his own farmwork volunteering to go with him to his own farmToday must be my lucky day,he thought.so Off they set for the farm.Tortoise told him stories of how ppl always misunderstand him and his motives and have the impression that hes a lazy and greedy man.Lizard was dumbfounded,he cudnt believe it ,Tortoise is surely a jolly good fellow,a hard-working one at that cheesy He has to show appreciation and keep him as a permanent friend. when they finished and Tortoise was abt to go,lizard asked him to saty behind as he wants him to go with him somewhere and Tortoise nodded.things were working as planned.He must have a taste of that meal,even if its for once,he cares not.
They headed for lizards grandmums house.she welcomed them first with a keg of palm wine.Lizard said hes not thirsty,tortoise drowned it all.the woman presented the meal.pounded yam with Nsala soup with lots of fresh fish kiss Lizard was eating but was reserving the fishes for Tortoise,Tortoise too was not touching the fishes. cheesy At a point Tortoise asked the Lizard why hes not eatig fish and he said" aah my friend eat,its for you,u are my guest" but the Tortoise said "ok,and to show you how cud a friend i am,am going to spoon feed you now" On saying that,he took a piece of fish and a big bone hidden in it and gave the lizard to eat.lizard the ever trusting friend swallowed everything But wait,theres bone in it,it was hooked his gullets,ooops he cant even push it down sad sad sad sad he started screaming for help,he cundt even scream sad sad sad Tortoise calmly carried the bowls of pounded yam and the soup pot and left for his home leaving lizard and his old granny to deal with the bone. sad sad sad
The woman cudnt do much to help,she being an old woman.she tried and tried but the bone seemed to be cemented there. sadThere was nothing else she cud do.the bone just have to be there and when the lizard left,he cudnt talk anymore.ppl asked him what happened and all he cud do was to point at Tortoise,he cudnt say what really happened and till date,the bone is still lodged there sad thats why the lizard cant talk or make any noise,he just nods and nods and nods. sad sad sad maybe u can help him dislodge the bone can you? cheesy
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 12:36pm On Jul 04, 2008
Kai, this people don over take me o sad

Well done Ify. I'll give another version of this your story later grin
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 12:50pm On Jul 04, 2008
The Tortoise And A Grain Of Maize

Long, long time ago, there was a serious famine in tortoise’s town. There is scarcely any food anywhere and the little available could only be purchased by very rich individuals.
Tortoise, not being financially buoyant enough to buy food for himself and the family, started thinking of how he was going to mitigate the famine. He learnt from some people that there is food in a faraway town. Immediately he heard this, he made up his mind that, no matter the distance, he was going to get to that town and buy some food for this household.
Thus being resolute, he set out for his journey. It took the tortoise seven market days to get to his destination.

Once he got to that land, the people took him to the king because they’ve heard so much about his cunning and were naturally afraid of him. The king told him that for him to stay in their land for the duration of the famine; he (the tortoise) must perform a task first for the king. The tortoise told the king that that was not a problem; that he should just say what the task was. The king then went on and said, “I heard you a very wise man; capable of deceiving your fellow beings. I will test you to know if all I’ve heard are true. Take this grain of maize and use it obtain a wife for me this day week. If in seven days you’re unable to get me a wife, you shall be killed; but if you get me a wife, you’ll be made a chief of this land.”

On hearing on these, the tortoise was greatly troubled because a woman seeking to cause trouble for her co-wife asks her to give her some palm oil with which to eat palm fruits a proverb. When he recalled how he had in the past excelled in some difficult tasks, he was comforted, saying that a task that comes at once youth came at a good time. If the grass cutter is reminded of biting, it bites. Proverbs.

The tortoise greeted the king and embarked on his journey until he got to a certain village. It was already evening and he begged one man he met at the village square to allow him spend the night at his house. The man gave some thoughts to tortoise’s request, looked up and down and accepted for it is said that if a stranger is travelling it appears as if he does not have a home.proverb When the man accepted him, the tortoise brought out his grain of maize and showed the man. Tortoise told him that if that grain of maize was planted, it would yield enough grains to fill seven sacks. He told the man he wanted to keep the grain of maize on the frontage of the house so that the evening sun might shine on it.

Immediately he kept the grain, a big cockerel from the man’s poultry rushed and swallowed the grain. On sighting this, the tortoise shouted and was crying and grieving. The owner of the house asked him to stop crying. But the tortoise did not oblige him. The tortoise told the man that the only solution to the problem is for him to go with the cock that swallowed the grain so that he may recover his grain when the cock excreted. The man accepted this proposal.

The next day the tortoise left. When he got to the next village, he met another man and asked the man to allow him to lodge at his house because nighttime had come. The man accepted and took tortoise’s cock and kept it in his animal pen where his goats and sheep were.

At midnight the tortoise awoke and went to the animal pen. When he got there, he killed the cock with his bare hands and hurriedly went back to bed.
At dawn, it was discovered that the cock had died. He cried and cried and cried… saying that the man must compensate him with a goat. The man shouted and said “I’ve sat down at home and have sat on my scrotum; I thought it’s said: let not the visitor kill his host so that when he is going back he won’t develop a hunchback?”proverbs

abeg to continue later…
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 2:39pm On Jul 05, 2008
lmao
am curious,how can a man get a wife with a grain of maize shocked shocked shocked
Echelon come and yarn us abeg cheesy
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 1:11pm On Jul 07, 2008
The story continues…

The tortoise was given a goat. He immediately left and continued on his journey. When he got to the next town, he entered the compound of a wealthy man that had seven cows; and asked the man to allow him spend the night there. The man graciously accepted; and led tortoise’s goat to his cow stead where all the cows were. All the cows immediately got up and started hitting the goat with their horns. As the owner of the house heard the noise and came out to know what was happening, the goat cried “kpaaa kpaaa” and fell down and died.

When the tortoise saw what happened, he took hold of a rope and said he was going to hang himself, complaining that that was the only goat he had and the that the goat gave birth like chicken. i.e. in droves. The wealthy man begged the tortoise all he could but the tortoise bluntly refused and continued progressing to where he was to hang himself. When the man continued begging, the tortoise said he would accept only on one condition: that he be given one cow. The man gave him one of his cows and said, “If one does not fall into trouble on his own, his wrapper would cause him to fall into trouble” proverb.
The tortoise left as soon he was given the cow. He was now happy because he thought he was making progress. grin

Along the way, he saw some group of people carrying a child’s corpse and wailing deeply. Immediately he joined them and even started wailing more than the bereaved. When the wailing and grieving were over, he begged them to give him the child’s corpse and take his cow. They gave thought to his proposal and agreed that the corpse is now of no use to them. They then gave him the corpse and collected his cow.

At once, the tortoise bought nice clothes and a fine cap and adorned the child’s corpse, tied it on his back and continued on his journey. At evening, he got to another town. There he entered into the compound of one man with two grown – up daughters. He lied to the man that he and his child have been to a very distant land to minister some medicines to the people there. He asked if the man could allow them to spend the night at his house. The man again accepted. He then told the man that he was then friends with him that he is going to concoct a “get rich quick” medicine for him and another one that is called “let him that comes to kill me, kill himself”. The man was very happy. At night, the man gave them where they could lay and sleep. At midnight, the tortoise begged the man to allow him lie his child between the man’s two daughters so that they may keep it warm because the cold was much. The man accepted. The tortoise promptly went and laid the dead child between the two sisters. cheesy

At the first cockcrow, the tortoise went into the girls’ room and started shouting his child’s name: “Oguoma, Oguoma, Oguoma; Titi Titi” But there was no response because corpses do not talk. The tortoise immediately went to the man’s room and woke him up. He told the man that his child was dead; that his daughters had laid on his child and suffocated her. The tortoise cried and cried.

Shortly, a huge crowd assembled at the man’s house and they all saw that the child was dead. The two sisters were unable to deny that they killed the child. The man of the house looked up and down and was confused. He called on his gods and said that “what was greater than the cricket has been caught in it’s trap” proverb.

The crowd unanimously decided that the man must give the tortoise one of his daughters as a compensation for the loss of his daughter. The tortoise rejoiced greatly in his heart and insisted he be given the prettier of the two sisters. He then took the girl home to the king that sent him on the mission.

He narrated to the king how he went about the task and all that happened along the way. The king then made the tortoise one of the chiefs of the land and gave him lands and money.

… the end.

Moral: Whaterver the heart of man can conceive and dream of, he can achieve.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 2:32pm On Jul 07, 2008
@Ifyalways that was a nice story keep the light shinning

@Echelon that was great too keep it up
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 5:01pm On Jul 07, 2008
cheeei cheesy cheesy cheesy see cunny man .
@rubi,its your turn now tongue
@Echelon,this is taking a new dimension wink adding proverbs to it.Thats intresting.i wud give it a try.
@Topic,thinking ,loading , brb grin
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 4:39pm On Jul 10, 2008
where is everybody? cheesy
Tortoise and the dancing tree cheesy
Once upon a time,there was famine in the land of osukosu nwankpi sugbuo ndi iwe ndi igbo na ewe cheesy.It was so bad that even the king of the land was affected too.Tortoise was not left out,infact his case was even the worst,him being a very lazy man,hes not been going to farm so he had pratically nothing to live on.
His mother was from the neighbouring village and the famine didnt affect them so he sat down and thought.maybe he should go and visit his mothers ppl cos oso chuba nwata na ala nna ya,o gbaga na ikwu nne ya (when things are not going well for one in his fathers place,his next port of call is his mothers place).Yes he just have to go.So he set off.he arrived the next day and his imerenne mothers ppl welcomed him.they fed him that 9t with a big bowl of akpu and ofe onugbo kiss washed down with a pot of up wine.
The next day,while they were getting ready to go to the farm,they woke Tortoise so he can join them but him being a lazy man,told them to go that he wud be coming soon.they left without himand he didnt go.It continued like this for 7 days and his mothers ppl were not happy abt it,he came with nothing,he had no tangible reason for his impropt visit,he eats even more than them and yet he cant go with them to the farm.they debated within themselves on what to do and they finally agreed that he has to go. . . . .but wait,who wud bell the cat?how do they tell him to leave?it is forbidden for one to chase away his kinsman so what do they do they didnt have to think for long,they have to tell him that they are travelling,they are going 2 a neighbouring village for the annual communal help-your-neighbour-plant-a-seed-festival cheesy they knew that Tortoise being a lazy man wont agree to go.
The next day,they told the tortoise that they wud be travelling in 3 days time to a neighbouring town and also told him the motive . . to farm.lol Tortoise replied and said that there is no problem,he wud just have to go.when everyone left for the farm,he was left in deep tots;he is going back to face poverty and starvation,No,there must be something he can do.He headed for the village stream,on the way he came across a tree that was singing shocked shocked shocked he stopped on his tracks and listened well,maybe his ears were playing tricks on him undecided to make matters worse,the tree started advancing towards tortoise shocked shocked shocked he took to his heels. the tree called him back and told him that hes a special tree from amadioha.it took the tree much persuassion to get Tortoise get closer.
cheesy cheesy cheesy lol abeg e be like say i go get part 2 cheesy
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 5:14pm On Jul 10, 2008
Na soo we dey do am.

ifyalways:

osukosu nwankpi sugbuo ndi iwe ndi igbo na ewe cheesy
LOL. I no fit shout!  cheesy
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 4:35pm On Jul 11, 2008
echelon:

LOL. I no fit shout! cheesy
dey dia now,the train is moving grin cheesy grin
I choro ima?
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by Nella(f): 4:48pm On Jul 11, 2008
Oh! I luvv these stories!! cheesy cheesy Reminds me soo much of those times lol, Mr Tortoise! No wonder when I was little, I always thought that Tortoise was d smartest animal of all. lol! ---

But I can't remember any stories thou tongue tongue

@ Ifyalways and Echelon --- God job!
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by nwakaibe(m): 4:21pm On Jul 16, 2008
Mbediogu stories. ah sweet memories of Chidozie Ogbalu.
Now my Mbediogu stories!!!
Once upon a time in times past. when the world was still in infancy, with footpaths under the ukwa trees while elu ka bu ala osa. Then, the lizards were still moving in twos and threes.

Mbe nwa aniga went to pay Chukwu okike a visit. When Chukwu saw him, he asked Mbe of his welfare. Since he is the creator, he decided to test his wisdom.
Chukwu brought a wooden tray used to serve kola nuts and placed stones in them and handed to Mbe to bless and break kola as tradition demands.
Mbe looked at the stones on the tray and said in his heart, nwanyi choba  nwunyi di ya okwu  o si ya nye ya mmanu ka o we ta akwu osukwu.( no translation. learn igbo)
Mbe said that today wit must match wit. So he went and prepared a big pad the type used in carrying heavy loads and asked Chukwu to help him place the ground on his(Mbe) head. Chukwu screamed at Mbe and asked him whether the ground is a load that should be carried. Mbe then retorted whether stones are kola nuts to broken adding, that he is mbe nwa aniga, ojebe ojesu.
Chukwu decided to up the ante and gave Mbe money to help him buy palm wine and bring in four market days. He instructed Mbe not to come in the morning, afternoon or night. He also told him that the palm wine must not be placed in an earthen pot or calabash (mbele) the two containers used for palm those days and the container must not be full or half. To make matters worse, He told him not to come through road, bush path or the river neither should he come through the forest.
Mbe nodded his head and went ahead to perform the tasks.
He paid the palm wine and placed it in a mortar used for pounding foofoo. He went through a path created by flood water and arrived at Chukwu's palace at the dawning of a new day.
Chukwu on seeing Mbe reminded him that he told Mbe not to come in the morning, evening or night. Mbe retorted that it is only the dawning of a new day and can not count as morning, day or night.
Chukwu asked Mbe whether he passed through road, forest or river, Mbe replied that he passed through the paths created by water. When questioned on the container, Mbe said that it is not any of the banned containers but a pounding mortar that was used. Chukwu then queried Mbe that he said the container should not be full or half year.
of course, Mbe tilted the mortar, one part became full while one part become half full and then asked Chukwu whether the mortar was full or half.

going home to my wife.will continue the story later.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Longest Nigerian Name You've Heard / What Is The Race Of The Ancient Egyptians / Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.