Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,236 members, 7,839,258 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday (15447 Views)

Amaechi Approves Commencement Of Port Harcourt-Aba Mass Transit Train Service / Osun Government Provides Free Train Service For Sallah / Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by snakova(m): 10:32pm On Jul 26, 2013
naptu2:

Hahahahahahahahahahha!

1) It's usually people who don't have any meaningful arguments that resort to insults.

2) They are building engines and coaches! Do you know what a train engine is?

What has Shell got to do with GE? (Now I suspect that you are one of those people who get emotional instead of reasoning. "I hate Fashola, so anything he does is bad". "I hate GEJ so anything he does is bad". You know, those kind of people).

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigeria-to-become-a-global-leader-in-steel-production-from-2018/144948/

Lastly, they are engaging in both manufacturing and assembly. These will provide the trains for the NRC and the power plants for the NIPP.

By the way, do you think that you are smarter than GE or do you think GE is in business to throw away money?
look, its nt abt making noise, GE this, steel that, but wat can be eeen on d ground. not some kangaroo projects that r designed to end after his tenure. if GEJ can solve our light n steel problems by the turn of the year n stop looting then he's my man. but we both know dats impossible cos he is incompetent. wat he does best is being a tout n harrasing his state govs cos of his 2nd term agenda. IBB too had a wonderful plan(SAP) but ended up looting our arses dry. n ur man said he is lyk a father to him. lyk father lyk son. so u mean cos Haliburton fell for the naija scam means they r nt smart?
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by naptu2: 10:38pm On Jul 26, 2013
Aha! So I was right. Now I feel bad that I started debating with him. It's not about improving the rail system. It's about hating GEJ.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by naptu2: 10:41pm On Jul 26, 2013
[size=14pt]Nigeria: NRC Reopens Passenger Train Services in Apapa[/size]

21st Oct 2011.

In its bid to provide transport solution in the Lagos metropolis, Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) on Wednesday reopened train operations in Apapa station.

The Public Relations Officer, Mr. Segun Esan who disclosed this in a telephone interview with Daily Champion said the passenger turnout was very impressive.

He stated that the first train carried over 2000 passengers from Apapa to Ijoko in Ogun state.

The development may indicate the beginning of decongestion of traffic gridlock that has become part of daily features of Apapa as most passengers could now be conveyed by train.

"NRC on Wednesday commenced train services from Apapa to Ijoko, the first train conveyed not less than 2000 passengers" he said.

Meanwhile in a recent chat Daily Champion the Railway District Manager (RDM) Lagos District, Mr. John Dottie said the frequency of the mass transit train has been increased to three times daily from Ijoko in Ogun state to Ebute-Metta in Lagos.

Dottie stated that the mass transit train services which is run by the district carry over 9000 passengers on a daily basis.

This, he said was made possible by the new locomotives the federal government acquired in its bid to revitalise the nation's railway system.

Dottie said the district recently introduced the business class, adding that plans are under way to provide train service on the route on hourly basis.

"With support from Federal Government and our management, we have introduced the business class on this mass transit trains, we have air-conditioned coaches with inbuilt television sets, and its well patronised by members of the public" he said.

According to him, the corporation makes at over N1 million everyday on passengers trains alone, adding that once the rehabilitation on the lines were completed the freight trains service would commence.

"Where can make good money is the freight trains, we are just waiting for rehabilitation work to be completed on the track for us to start running freight trains, as I am talking to you Four Mills have written to us because we used to carry goods for them to Kano and Maiduguri and we also carry for Dangote" he said.

He said that individuals, oil marketers and big business concerns are all warming for commencement of freight trains, adding that the resumption of freight train services in the country will take a lot stress of the road and also reduce carnages that have bedevilled the nation's road since the collapse of the rail system.

http://m.allafrica.com/stories/201110211364.html/

1 Like

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by naptu2: 10:50pm On Jul 26, 2013
So the tracks are being rehabilitated (a lot of work has been done on the western line, there's still a lot of work to be done on the eastern line).

The trains are running. It's not perfect, but it's better than the previous dormant state.

The metro systems in Lagos and Abuja are on course.

The new rail lines are not there yet, but work is ongoing (aided by the loan from China).

The rail link from Apapa Port has been rehabilitated and trains are freighting goods up country from the ports.

General Electric has started constructing its plant at Cross River.

We are making progress.

4 Likes

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by legendsilver(m): 10:56pm On Jul 26, 2013
naptu2: So the tracks are being rehabilitated (a lot of work has been done on the western line, there's still a lot of work to be done on the eastern line).

The trains are running. It's not perfect, but it's better than the previous dormant state.

The new rail lines are not there yet, but work is ongoing (aided by the loan from China).

The rail link from Apapa Port has been rehabilitated and trains are freighting goods up country from the ports.

We are making progress.
the dreaming continuas. grin
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by RtFNJ: 11:06pm On Jul 26, 2013
Let's all stand 4 our one and only GEJ.. He promised a diversified economy n we cn all feel it.. He promised d second Niger bridge... I owe him hours under d sun 2015... Haters shhhhhhhhhhhh

3 Likes

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by Isjaymoh(m): 11:11pm On Jul 26, 2013
Can somebody tell me where in Lagos I can board a train to Kaduna? I mean a railway station very close to Berger, because i stay @ Berger. What time can I buy my tickect and what days does the train mover from Lagos to Kaduna?
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by kiyosaki1(m): 11:40pm On Jul 26, 2013
naptu2: So the tracks are being rehabilitated (a lot of work has been done on the western line, there's still a lot of work to be done on the eastern line).

We are making progress.
What achievement are you boasting about ? More than 90% engines and coaches were bought by Abacha, and the rehabilitation work was actually started by Obj, and it was the late president Yar'dua that really made NRC what it's today.So stop giving undue credit to your pay master.Remember that you can only fool some people some of the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time

1 Like

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by hunter21(m): 12:04am On Jul 27, 2013
legendsilver: the dreaming continuas. grin
Can you kindly point out which part of his statement is not reality
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by manny4life(m): 12:26am On Jul 27, 2013
kiyosaki1: What achievement are you boasting about ? More than 90% engines and coaches were bought by Abacha, and the rehabilitation work was actually started by Obj, and it was the late president Yar'dua that really made NRC what it's today.So stop giving undue credit to your pay master.Remember that you can only fool some people some of the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time

More than 90% where bought during the Abacha regime, and then what? Where was the operational standard back in the 90's?

Rehabilitation started by OBJ, so it took OBJ 8 years to continue rehabilitation meanwhile GEJ came on board and in less than two years the trains resumed operations, GE came in with their $250 million investment, etc

Late Yar'adua (RIP) really made NRC yet NRC was DEAD, he ruled for about two years and NRC did not resuscitate, yet GEJ came on and NRC came to live.

If in two years or less, Nigeriaans begin to experience dividends of electric stability, they will give credit to all but GEJ. Some silly Nigerians will blame GEJ for all evils, but give credit to past administrations... NONSENSE

4 Likes

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by omar22(m): 12:36am On Jul 27, 2013
manny4life:

More than 90% where bought during the Abacha regime, and then what? Where was the operational standard back in the 90's?

Rehabilitation started by OBJ, so it took OBJ 8 years to continue rehabilitation meanwhile GEJ came on board and in less than two years the trains resumed operations,

You mean the scrap metals or the banger

Kindly tell us how many years do expect to get out of what looked like it has traveled through a time machine from the days of Adolf Hitler.

1 Like

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by manny4life(m): 12:46am On Jul 27, 2013
omar22:

You mean the scrap metals or the banger

Kindly tell us how many years do expect to get out of what looked like it has traveled through a time machine from the days of Adolf Hitler.

Call it scrap metal if you wish, there are tons of metro authorities using (constantly maintaining) such types of "scrap metal" including the famous U.S. known Amtrak. Other then the NE corridor line, all other line representing more than 70% traffic uses that "scrap metal". NY subway used the same good ole "scrap metal", their aged flee was more than 40 years old until few years ago when they replaced a good portion of it. I can go on and on, but you're welcome to call it any name you wish, if it moves people and goods, and makes revenue, it may not be the best, but it's affordable for the poor.

5 Likes

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by babsomotde(m): 1:34am On Jul 27, 2013
Thanks to God. One more thing, Maintenance. We are just good in creating but no sustainable force. Please, more of this will be needed.
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by erico2k2(m): 2:39am On Jul 27, 2013
vanunu:

Animal the standard gauge being built by GEJ, from Abuja to Kaduna can go 200km/hr.
Leave that guy, he aint got a clue

1 Like

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by erico2k2(m): 2:44am On Jul 27, 2013
baby-boy:

So you accept mediocre?

Perfect case of someone been brainwashed by our leaders! Just like cloths been donated for Charity. Igbo boys would bring them to Nigeria and sell it (boss-corner) or Bend down boutique! The fact here is that the Government could afford it but since People like you accept mediocre things it gives our leader the option to bring home scrap metals.
Well I just want to draw your attention as one who feels he know all, clothes are donated to charities who own shops in the High streets all over, have you been to one? I guess not cos you would have realized these charities put these clothes up for sale not just clothes all other items,they raise monies in this way to support thier noble course, so whats wrong if anyone goes there and buy cheap stuff in bulk and Re-Sell them? names of charity ie, Cancer Research,Age Concern etc undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by Nobody: 4:07am On Jul 27, 2013
Standing5: Why not use those old coaches for cargo movement instead of taking us back some 20-30 yrs? can;t our Fed Govt manage to buy brand new coaches?

If they buy you new coaches, who gets to live in mansions, drive Bentleys, and wear $250,000.00 Hublots?
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by Nobody: 4:08am On Jul 27, 2013
manny4life:

Call it scrap metal if you wish, there are tons of metro authorities using (constantly maintaining) such types of "scrap metal" including the famous U.S. known Amtrak. Other then the NE corridor line, all other line representing more than 70% traffic uses that "scrap metal". NY subway used the same good ole "scrap metal", their aged flee was more than 40 years old until few years ago when they replaced a good portion of it. I can go on and on, but you're welcome to call it any name you wish, if it moves people and goods, and makes revenue, it may not be the best, but it's affordable for the poor.

Like, WHERE THE F**K DO YOU GET THIS BULLSHIYYT YOU ALWAYS COME ON HERE SPEWING?

1 Like

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by naptu2: 5:39am On Jul 27, 2013
kiyosaki1: What achievement are you boasting about ? More than 90% engines and coaches were bought by Abacha, and the rehabilitation work was actually started by Obj, and it was the late president Yar'dua that really made NRC what it's today.So stop giving undue credit to your pay master.Remember that you can only fool some people some of the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time

NIGERIANS!

Here we go again!

1) Who is my master?

2) Where did you hear me say that the rehabilitation works did not start under OBJ, or did I tell you that I was unaware of that?

3) Government is meant to be a continuum. It was started by OBJ and continued by GEJ. The NIPP programme was started by OBJ, Yar'Adua stopped it, but thank God GEJ restarted it. Nigeria lost a lot because Yar'Adua stopped it. The BRT and LRT projects were started by Tinubu, but thank Good Fashola continued them. Give credit to GEJ for continuing the rail project. During his tenure we've attracted GE who are building a plant in Cross River. During OBJ's tenure the plan was to import GE coaches and engines from Brazil. The trains did not run during OBJ's tenure, but they are running now. The Abuja line was not built during OBJ's tenure, it's being built now, so is the Abuja metro. Give credit to where it's due.

4) I'm a Nigerian and I want Nigeria to progress, it does not matter what party, region, etc brings the progress, what's important is that Nigeria progresses. Trains were not running, now they are. Stop the sectionalism.

5) Think of the impact that the rail service will have on Apapa! The Apapa-Oworonshoki Expressway is always in a terrible shape because large trailer trucks are always on that road, moving goods from the port. That's going to reduce. Have you ever had to stay on one spot for almost 3 hours on Park Lane Apapa because a trailer truck broke down? If you have, you'll understand why this thing is important.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by Omexonomy: 5:41am On Jul 27, 2013
If it is fashole it wont be a bullshit
kingoflag:

Like, WHERE THE F**K DO YOU GET THIS BULLSHIYYT YOU ALWAYS COME ON HERE SPEWING?
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by Omexonomy: 5:45am On Jul 27, 2013
Take bus from berger to agege pen cinima from their you ask people though you will always see a traing going or coming.
Isjaymoh: Can somebody tell me where in Lagos I can board a train to Kaduna? I mean a railway station very close to Berger, because i stay @ Berger. What time can I buy my tickect and what days does the train mover from Lagos to Kaduna?

1 Like

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by PECO4KING(m): 6:18am On Jul 27, 2013
Standing5: Why not use those old coaches for cargo movement instead of taking us back some 20-30 yrs? can;t our Fed Govt manage to buy brand new coaches?

God bless u, some people no dey travel out at all na only nairaland they update most people.If dem dey travel to developed countries dey will know our government just dey play us wayo.
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by Godson201333(m): 6:37am On Jul 27, 2013
are they taking about those locomotive[b][/b] old trains or the light electric trains?
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by thaoriginator: 7:13am On Jul 27, 2013
2015 campaign, catapult fires GEJ! Yawa man!
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by snakova(m): 7:32am On Jul 27, 2013
PECO4KING:

God bless u, some people no dey travel out at all na only nairaland they update most people.If dem dey travel to developed countries dey will know our government just dey play us wayo.
at least we saw the bullet train that crashed in spain. u want me to spends 10 days cos i want to travel from lagos to kano abi? cheap publicity.
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by PStacks(m): 8:16am On Jul 27, 2013
Av seen this is s GEJ Thread. I'l leave it to the GEJ people to make a feast all they want..

Plenty Doyin Okupes on this thread. Paid to Post moafocukerz.
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by sleekpro(m): 8:18am On Jul 27, 2013
I hope they can also carry my tokumbu car to the north? am tired of all those stupid customs on the road. Well done GEJ! 2015 is for sure.
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by naptu2: 8:20am On Jul 27, 2013
Oops! There's a loop that I forgot to include earlier.

General Electric will need flat steel sheets in order to build train engines. These can be imported of course, but Wempco (along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway) currently makes flat steel sheets.

However, Wempco has to import steel billets as raw materials because it has problems moving iron from the Itakpe Iron Ore mines in Kogi. Well there's a rail link to Itakpe (see my map above) that has been rehabilitated and when the freight service starts up fully, iron ore will be moved from Itakpe to Lagos by train in order to make the steel that will be used to make the train engines and coaches.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by PStacks(m): 8:23am On Jul 27, 2013
snakova:
at least we saw the bullet train that crashed in spain. u want me to spends 10 days cos i want to travel from lagos to kano abi? cheap publicity.

God Bless you man! I didn't know people like u are on here.. Sound reasoning..
21st century. This age when people take Bullet Train from France to England thru the Euro-zone tunnel. These days where Train is even seeming to be more efficient than Flying. Some people would come here and ask me to spend 5 days in a train doing just Inter-state when Country to country (France to England) takes barely 3 hours thru the Euro-tunnel and other channels.. Guuush men! These GEJ people disgusts me so much..
The Train that crashed in Spain was moving at an average of say around 80Km/hour.. Fast enough if u ask my opinion.. U come here and tell me of one rickety epileptic train and heap praises on GEJ..

Ok, GEJ has done well.
Congrats to GEJ.
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by naptu2: 8:24am On Jul 27, 2013
[size=14pt]Jonathan to inaugurate $1.5bn WEMPCO steel rolling mill[/size]

2013-04-17 23:00:49

President Goodluck Jonathan will on Thursday (today), inaugurate a $1.5bn steel rolling mill built by the Western Metal Product Company Limited at Ibafo, Ogun State.

A statement on Wednesday said the Wempco steel rolling mill was worth $1.5bn and capable of producing 700,000 metric tonnes of steel annually.

Also located in the Wempco steel complex are a ceramic tiles plant worth $500m and a nail production plant worth $200m, the Group Managing Director, Wempco Group, Mr. Lewis Tung, said.

With a combined investment of $2.2bn, Tung disclosed that the entire facility would create 5,500 additional jobs.

According to him, the production capacity of the steel mill represents 65 per cent of the 1.2 million of steel used annually in Nigeria, mostly imported.

Tung said the mill, which would begin the production of cold rolled (flat steel), would depend on imported steel billets for raw materials until it could work out how to transport iron ore from Itakpe in Kogi State.

To ensure adequate and uninterrupted power supply for the massive operations of the complex, the Wempco boss said about $250m had been invested in building a 50 megawatt gas power plant.

Tung said the steel complex, which would be the largest in Africa upon completion, was motivated by the need to conserve foreign exchange resources and the availability of the needed raw materials in the country.

"We realise that importing these products costs a lot of foreign exchange and we thought that since the raw materials are available locally, producing them locally will help conserve foreign exchange," he said.

He said the huge investment in the complex was a demonstration of the confidence and belief of the Wempco group in Nigeria.

"We have been in Nigeria in the last 40 years with established manufacturing companies producing a wide range of building materials and associated products. This is because we believe in Nigeria and we see a lot of potential in the country and its people," he said.

The Wempco Steel mill is expected to boost Nigeria's capacity in the production of ocean vessels, train bodies, agriculture steel equipment, earth moving vehicles, coils, flat sheet for round/hollow/square pipes, household electronics casings such as refrigerators, air-conditioners, fan-blade/stands, washing machines, and microwaves, among others.

Tung added that the mill would also enhance the production of office steel furniture for cabinets, desks and stands, containers for chemical, foods and drinks packaging.

Analysts said if Nigeria must really occupy its place of pride amongst the committee of nations that have progressed industrially, emphasis must be placed on the genuine development of the steel industry.

They argued that the Wempo Steel mill would be a watershed in Nigeria's history, owing to the fact that the country had consistently imported steel since the attainment of independence in 1960.

http://mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/business/energy/jonathan-to-inaugurate-1-5bn-wempco-steel-rolling-mill/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by Guk: 8:26am On Jul 27, 2013
For as long as we applaud Backwardness, things will never change. How can we applaud trains that take over a day to reach its destination for crying out loud! Once upon a time London to Manchester was 5 hours by train, today, you can do it in just over 2 hours, WHY? because Service Improvement is driven by Competition and Culture not by Sychophancy and at least they are trying slogan even though TRILLIONS have been spent since Abacha days till now.

For those who think Logistics businesses will go out of business, it works both ways, they can either buy Cargo spaces on the train or convince their clients that road haulage is more advantageous in terms of Speed over Risk.

As for Indomie Company using the cargo train to Kano, they would have done their Risk Assesment & i pray its not perishables that they are transporting as the present number of hours to Kano cannot be favourable to any company with Cyclic deadlines and deliverables

1 Like

Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by Abrakhan: 8:29am On Jul 27, 2013
Aleeyouchalawa:

Nidai ina ruwana, LADAN nake jira yanzu haka
ka yi dai dai.
Re: 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday by naptu2: 8:34am On Jul 27, 2013
Hahahahahahaha!

This is so interesting! I'm posting on two threads at the same time, on one thread I'm being called an "ACN goon" (the "Fashola largassese" thread), while on this one it is being implied that GEJ is my "master". Anyway I'll add them to my list.

naptu2:

cheesy I'm going to add that to my list.

Let's see. . . . All the things I've been called on nairaland.

"Government official or SSS agent", "Benefiting from Lagos State Government", "Yoruba Boy", "Northerner", "GEJ asslicker", "librarian", "journalist", "you people" (I suspect that the guy meant either muslim or northerner), "Fashola". I think there's more.

Ogbuefi_Negro:

Austin Peter's pikin
Peter Obe

lol

Ogbuefi_Negro:

Good morning my brother. lol.

oh i forgot o, add "oko ishilove" put for the names. where is she, surprised she hasnt shown up.

By they way, you can join me on the "Fashola Largasseses" thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/1373045/fashola-largasses-road-ibo-hawkers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

'Those Calling For CBN Governor's Sack Are Palmwine Drinkers' - Gov. Oshiomhole / EFCC Gets Order To Remand Chief Femi Fani-kayode For Three Weeks / Buhari Rejects N1.7tr Ransom For Chibok Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.