Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,362 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly (12364 Views)

President Buhari Holds Emergency Meeting Over Rivers Election / National Assembly Set To Take Over Rivers Assembly / Court Stops NASS From Taking Over Functions Of Rivers House Of Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Pukkah: 2:18pm On Jul 26, 2013
NIGERIA'S senate has passed a bill which empowers it and the House of Representatives to take over the functions of the Rivers State House of Assembly in response to the ongoing crisis afflicting the state.

On July 11, pandemonium erupted on the floor of the Rivers State House of Assembly when five lawmakers out of the 31 who make it up tried to impeach speaker Dan Amachree, a loyalist of Governor Rotimi Amaechi. They smuggled a fake mace into the house and declared Mr Amachree impeached, electing Evans Bipi as his replacement despite not forming a quorum.

As soon as news of the development got out, assemblymen loyal to the governor stormed the house and a fracas broke out with the counterfeit mace made of plywood being used as a weapon. One of the rebel assemblymen Michael Chinda, is currently in London recuperating from the effects of the fight.

Mr Chinda, who represents the Obio/Akpor constituency, was immediately flown to London and admitted into the private and expensive Cromwell Hospital that is very popular with foreign politicians and businessmen. Said to cost in the region of 1,000 a day, Cromwell Hospital has treated several Nigerian governors lately, although Mr Chinda was discharged on Saturday after a brief stay following the treatment to the minor lacerations to his hand.

In an attempt to diffuse the crisis, the Senate yesterday passed a resolution empowering it and the House of Representatives to take over the legislative functions of the Rivers State House of Assembly. In the resolution which concurs with that of the House on July 10, the Senate also flayed the attempt by five anti- Amaechi lawmakers to impeach Speaker Amachree.

Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, the chairman of the Senate Committee on Information and Media, said that a meeting between the Senate President David Mark and the Speaker of the House, Hon Aminu Tambuwal, would be held to draw up modalities for the running of the assembly. He explained that with the concurrence  which is in line with Section 11(4) of the 1999 constitution,  the activities of  the state legislature stood suspended.

Senator Abaribe said: “As it stands now,  the Rivers State House of Assembly has been suspended by virtue of the fact that it can no longer carry out its legislative functions. The principal officers of both chambers of the National Assembly will meet to discuss and  agree on the procedures for running the assembly

Section 11(4) Nigeria's constitution states: “At any time when any House of Assembly of a state is unable to perform its functions by reason of the situation prevailing in that state, the National Assembly may make such laws for the peace, order and good government of that state with respect to matters on which a House of Assembly may make laws as may appear to the National Assembly to be necessary or expedient until such time as the House of Assembly is able to resume its functions. Any such laws enacted by the National Assembly pursuant to this section shall have effect as if they were laws enacted by the House of Assembly of the state provided that nothing in this section shall be construed as conferring on the National Assembly the power to remove the governor or the deputy governor of the state from office.”

The Senate Committee on State and Local Governments which investigated the crisis in the assembly had  presented its report during a plenary session in Abuja. It  recommended that the assembly be taken over and fingered President Goodluck Jonathan, his wife, Patience and the national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party as being responsible for the crisis.

- See more at: http://www.nigerianwatch.com/news/2087-senate-votes-to-take-over-duties-of-rivers-state-house-of-assembly-blaming-goodluck-for-the-crisis#
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 26, 2013
This is simply a case of the blind trying to lead the blind.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by samuelkaykay(m): 2:53pm On Jul 26, 2013
No more alawee for chidi loyd.chei,Rivers jagajaga,Amaechi boys scatter scatter.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Pukkah: 2:54pm On Jul 26, 2013
The Senate also passed a resolution seeking the redeployment of Joseph Mbu, the controversial Rivers State Commissioner of Police.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/141667-senate-orders-redeployment-of-rivers-state-police-commissioner.html

2 Likes

Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Pukkah: 5:56am On Jul 27, 2013
samuelkaykay: No more alawee for chidi loyd.chei,Rivers jagajaga,Amaechi boys scatter scatter.

Do you realize that one of the implications of this is that Amaechi has escaped the sword of impeachment?

9 Likes

Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by ujchief(m): 11:33am On Jul 27, 2013
Good development! The impeachment plot against Amaechi has to be postponed indefinitely. Kudos to the lawmakers.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by alaoeri: 11:36am On Jul 27, 2013
Now Amaechi is save no more impeachment threat, shame on Jesus of Okrika & her loyalist.

7 Likes

Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by HoLEEsinner: 11:38am On Jul 27, 2013
I don't trust these lawmakers, he(RCA) might be safe for now but you don't know the outcome of this, might be evil in disguise.
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by samjbo: 11:40am On Jul 27, 2013
I think it is a good development. Law and order actually broke down there.
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by greatestman(m): 11:41am On Jul 27, 2013
HMMM wonders. shall never end
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Codedrock(m): 11:43am On Jul 27, 2013
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Asiwaju9ja(m): 11:46am On Jul 27, 2013
Thank God o! Semblance of peace go show. PEJ weeeeaaaak. Not as she hoped it'll end.
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by chimchim1(m): 11:48am On Jul 27, 2013
I A̶̲̥̅♏ happy 4 Amechi. GEJ Å̝Ω̴̩̩ϑ PEJ has failed again.
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Youngtekkey(m): 11:51am On Jul 27, 2013
it's good at least bipi's jesus cannot be controlling the national assembly anyhow even if it(abi na she)have loyalist in the house of senate it(dame )can have in house of rep coz those guys no like jonathan at all especially tambuwal

3 Likes

Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Fabianoribhabor: 11:54am On Jul 27, 2013
Gud attempt.
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by dridowu: 11:56am On Jul 27, 2013
Pukkah:

Do you realize that one of the implications of this is that Amaechi has escaped the sword of impeachment?
no mind d guy, no more impeachement till further notice
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by coolestboy(m): 11:58am On Jul 27, 2013
Wil b back soon
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by nwaniSOC: 12:00pm On Jul 27, 2013
alaoeri: Now Amaechi is save no more impeachment threat, shame on Jesus of Okrika & her loyalist.
NA REAL JESUS OF OKRIKA, I DEY LAUGH.
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by nijanigga: 12:01pm On Jul 27, 2013
Jungle people,will always show their jungle side.
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Dagoma: 12:13pm On Jul 27, 2013
Very good development, atleast Amaechi will have a breath if relief.
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Omen100(m): 12:29pm On Jul 27, 2013
This is beautiful.....

1 Like

Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by honestivo(m): 12:45pm On Jul 27, 2013
Then if there is fight in national asembly what will happen .
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by honestivo(m): 12:52pm On Jul 27, 2013
Evry body is jst tryin 2 show concern in rivers state crisis not because they love us but because of our resources,hw much concern hv they shown to borno state were der is violent ,is vry anoyin that Ameachi because of his personal interest cnt recognise this fact.

1 Like

Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by y2kaustinstone: 12:55pm On Jul 27, 2013
Hello Friends,am about to renew the rent of my apartment,i would have conveniently do that.i just finish settling a huge debt,and i don't want to miss these apartment,cos it decent and we always have power smiley smiley tongue.I have half of the money and just looking for a decent and working class person to add the remaining half.am a christian,from akwa ibom state,am currently working for a logistic firm in Apapa-Lagos.

Interested person,swiftly call me up on 08134340380(Austin).
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Rossikk(m): 12:57pm On Jul 27, 2013
honestivo: Evry body is jst tryin 2 show concern in rivers state crisis not because they love us but because of our resources,hw much concern hv they shown to borno state were der is violence

Last time I checked thousands of troops were deployed in Borno state.
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by jackydon(m): 1:13pm On Jul 27, 2013
y2kaustinstone_:
Hello Friends,am about to renew the rent of my apartment,i would have conveniently do that.i just finish settling a huge debt,and i don't want to miss these apartment,cos it decent and we always have power smiley smiley tongue.I have half of the money and just looking for a decent and working class person to add the remaining half.am a christian,from akwa ibom state,am currently working for a logistic firm in Apapa-Lagos.

Interested person,swiftly call me up on 08134340380(Austin).

<=D н̍̊̍̊α̇̇̇α̍̍̊..н̍̊̍̊α̇̇̇α̍̍̊..н̍̊̍̊α̇̇̇α̍̍̊
> нααα..​нααα..нαα
^ ^ ‎ н̲̣̣̣α̣̣̣̣α̣̣̣..н̲̣̣̣α̣̣̣̣α̣̣̣..н̲̣̣̣α̣̣̣̣α̣̣̣

OJB don invent new style of beggin na
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by DeCleff(m): 1:17pm On Jul 27, 2013
Chidi: My able governor, i tell u sey this people no fit comot u 4 chair, abi na lie?

Ameachi; Hon. Na true u talk ooo but this one wey them torture and blindfold u na em dey give me sleepless night na.

Chidi; my governor, no worry urself too much cos na one of the sacrifics wey we go do to protect u na. Me i no send if them beat me or even jail me cos i no sey na we hold d state and hon. Chinda no ever do illegal business again.

Ameachi: But bros u need to come out na, atleast make we chill for govt house 2geda until wen national assembly go call una back. As for Bipi & em group i no wan see them near d govt house gate.

Chidi: My governor relax na, everytin go beta

Ameachi; Ok oooo

6 Likes

Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by jay2k(m): 1:26pm On Jul 27, 2013
Pukkah:

as if u ve forgoton dat david mark is loyal to Gej. nd dat dea wea evil amachree has been coverin for amaechi,wich mark may want to unvail nd possibly iniate an impeachement process if it paradventure worth it,,all in d bead to plz im oga @ d top..d situation is not quit rossy for him ooo...am not realy happy about it joooorr..

1 Like

Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by ogbonoeba: 1:39pm On Jul 27, 2013
Why was the injured politician flown to England for a minor scalp laceration?

2 Likes

Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Wsdm: 1:41pm On Jul 27, 2013
honestivo: Then if there is fight in national asembly what will happen .
NLC will take over.
I don't think this is right. How can the activities of 5 law makers against 26 call for this kind of action? The senator should call these 5 assembly members to order and let the majority take the day simple.
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by Wsdm: 1:42pm On Jul 27, 2013
honestivo: Then if there is fight in national asembly what will happen .
NLC will take over.
I don't think this is right. How can the activities of 5 law makers against 26 call for this kind of action? The senators should call these 5 assembly members to order and let the majority take the day simple.
Re: Senate Takes-Over Rivers House Of Assembly by kokoA(m): 1:53pm On Jul 27, 2013
jay2k: as if u ve forgoton dat david mark is loyal to Gej. nd dat dea wea evil amachree has been coverin for amaechi,wich mark may want to unvail nd possibly iniate an impeachement process if it paradventure worth it,,all in d bead to plz im oga @ d top..d situation is not quit rossy for him ooo...am not realy happy about it joooorr..
Who told this one that the national assembly can impeach a governor?.. Stop disrespecting the person of Sen. David Alechenu Mark please. Mark is loyal to who?! I laugh in swahili. That Mark has been playing the role of an elder to just to stabilize GEJ's government does not make him a "foot soldier" of anybody. I am a D. Mark fan myself, but I believe in respect. GEJ also respects him considering the fact that he has been in government even before he (GEJ) ever though of politics.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Governor Umahi In The Shadow Of Vultures’ Talons. By Emmanuel Onwe / Akeredolu Joins World Leaders At The Annual Investment Meeting In Dubai (photos) / Nigerians Will Vote Individuals, Not Parties – CAN President, Daniel Okoh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.