Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,609 members, 7,827,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? (11005 Views)

Is Freelancing As A Software Programmer Possible? / Interview Questions For A Software Developer ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by CyberG: 5:47pm On Jul 30, 2013
Seun: Can you upload a picture of your current office desk and chair? It may be that they are just expensive for nothing.

I think a good chair should provide firm support for your lower back when you sit on it.

Each one of the executive chairs we bought for every programmer in my business has a special adjustable pad in the lower back area as well as an S-shape that mimics the natural shape of your spine.

Yes, lumbar support and a headrest is what I think I have been missing mostly. After really re-appraising the situation, I think the pains are caused by the un-ergonomic, unsupportive chair I use when I work at home. I had not been doing a lot of project work at home until recently and that is when I actually noticed the problem. My office makes every effort to get developers almost anything required to work and they changed all our chairs just about 2 months ago. Well with the increasing pain, I had to change my home chair immediately and I researched to find what good alternatives were and after reading reviews, I settled for the Markus! I think the pain has reduced since Sunday as I have stopped using the chair that wanted to break my back systematically! There are other chairs, way more expensive like $800 but they also had mixed reviews! So, I thought it better to start with the Markus and if there is no improvement in 40 days, I will just return it and buy another one or exchange it for another one. Here is Markus, the chair that is not only keeping me company now but helping to keep my back happy! grin grin grin

If you want to read more, buy or try it out, head over to Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by silvasurfa(m): 5:52pm On Jul 30, 2013
Our spine isn't rigid but possesses some anatomical curves to allow for a number of biological processes to take place (chief of which is breathing). Even though the vertebrae in the lumbar spine are the largest and most prominent of the spinal column, they still represent the weakest point of the human back.

A few helpful points to note;

1) As we age, the water content of the inter-vertebral discs (which act like shock absorbers) decrease considerably making the connective structures more susceptible to injury.

2) All the Inter-vertebral discs are avascular i.e. they lack their own direct blood supply. They get their nourishment from osmosis when movement occurs.

3)Years of poor posture in sitting and standing, improper lifting techniques, mechanical stress and repeated trauma to the spine (in this case, compressive forces acting on the spine from prolonged sitting) usually manifest as one acute (focal) episode of excruciating pain e.g. while turning backwards to reverse, bending down to tie ones shoe laces or bending to pick a heavy object.

The pain can be prevented by;

1) As some posters rightly noted, we were not designed (or if you like; we did not evolve) for prolonged sitting. So hourly breaks are recommended.

2) @Seun gave an excellent recommendation by way of ergonomic chairs with firm lumbar supports.

3) In the absence of executive/ergonomic chairs, a firm lumbar roll would suffice.

4) Spinal derangement usually begins to set in with a weakening of the spinal muscles(those located at the small of the back - and are usually the first to give way with prolonged sitting). So strengthening exercises that target those specific muscles usually help.

Finally, self medication or prolonged use of strong pain-killers (NSAIDs) can be harmful to your health as they can cause ulcers.

You may benefit from seeing a physiotherapist if the pain persists.

My regards,

1 Like

Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by adexsimply(m): 5:53pm On Jul 30, 2013
Mine Actually Started today..but I only feel it when I stand, not while sitting.. I know it won't last
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 30, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
You kuku just want to let us know that you're a software developer undecided Back pain ko, crotch pain ni tongue tongue

Anywaz, are you in the USA? Send me a few internship ideas wink
We know you're in US abeg rest. You just like to show yourself. If you don't have better thing to say, go flip burger at burger kings.

3 Likes

Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by CyberG: 5:55pm On Jul 30, 2013
Decryptor: Why should you sit for hours at end because of your job? Abi na software to detect the identity of terrorists you dey work on? *just kidding*
Whatever you do, try to take breaks by walking around after about an hour. This is important so as to exercise both ur hands, legs, waist and even ur eyes.
I know what i'm saying cos sometimes when i sit down working on web projects, i experience the same but taking breaks and pauses eliminates those joint cramps.

Oga, na soooo! grin grin I go dey try rest but I am in crunch time now so there's a lot of work I need to get done really quick! I am the principal developer on a couple of projects and if I must be able to objectively and fairly question the progress or quality of work of any other developer, then I need to demonstrated that leadership by exceeding the standard requirements which means lots of hours!
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by CyberG: 5:57pm On Jul 30, 2013
webdezzi: the edge of your bed can prove to be more ergonomic than you think.
av been doing it for years now. I get tired of sitting up for long.

Head of the bed, how? How are you going to sit at the edge of the bed looking at MacBook, 2 big monitors (24+ inches), writing, reading, mousing and snacking??
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by adexsimply(m): 5:59pm On Jul 30, 2013
CyberG:

Yes, lumbar support and a headrest is what I think I have been missing mostly. After really re-appraising the situation, I think the pains are caused by the un-ergonomic, unsupportive chair I use when I work at home. I had not been doing a lot of project work at home until recently and that is when I actually noticed the problem. My office makes every effort to get developers almost anything required to work and they changed all our chairs just about 2 months ago. Well with the increasing pain, I had to change my home chair immediately and I researched to find what good alternatives were and after reading reviews, I settled for the Markus! I think the pain has reduced since Sunday as I have stopped using the chair that wanted to break my back systematically! There are other chairs, way more expensive like $800 but they also had mixed reviews! So, I thought it better to start with the Markus and if there is no improvement in 40 days, I will just return it and buy another one or exchange it for another one. Here is Markus, the chair that is not only keeping me company now but helping to keep my back happy! grin grin grin

If you want to read more, buy or try it out, head over to Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/
I really hate that chair!! I avoid it like a plague..I prefer sitting on this..Actually that's my favorite seat, as I can adjust it anyhow I feel
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by adexsimply(m): 6:03pm On Jul 30, 2013
webdezzi: the edge of your bed can prove to be more ergonomic than you think.
av been doing it for years now. I get tired of sitting up for long.
Could you please elaborate?
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by Fhemmmy: 6:03pm On Jul 30, 2013
I experience neck pain and not back pain . . . almost everyone in my office experience same neck pain
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by bknight: 6:04pm On Jul 30, 2013
Funny IT related pains. And that one of ur shoulder as a result of carrying laptop bag. I stopped carry those laptop bags but yrs on my shoulder still aches angry

1 Like

Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by CyberG: 6:11pm On Jul 30, 2013
bknight: Funny IT related pains. And that one of ur shoulder as a result of carrying laptop bag. I stopped carry those laptop bags but yrs on my shoulder still aches angry

I read about a developer who said later in his years after about 20 years of work mostly in software development, the pains were so unbearable, he had to get extensive medical help! Cost? About $ 20,000!
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by turl(m): 6:11pm On Jul 30, 2013
Surprised no body has mentioned this yet. Its actually unhealthy to sit for long hours as we are designed to be immobile for long periods of time. Turns out sitting down for long stretches of time shortens your life span shocked
here: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/oct/21/is-sitting-bad-for-you

somebody mentioned that devs abroad are not complaining, pfft..you have no idea. Companies are actually investing in adjustable desks that can be made to enable you stand and work. If at all you have to sit, it is very important you take a break every hour to do a quick exercise.
Apps like metaclock: http://www.metaclock.com can be used to set hourly reminders to alert you to do some exercise.

I'm currently looking to get a stand-up desk from ikea myself.

Bottom line, take a break every chance you get or better still, stand when working.
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by CyberG: 6:13pm On Jul 30, 2013
Blackteeth: Mtchewww. The pros never complain of back pain before you talk about lazy programmers on Nairaland getting back pain.
Next time dont program with a kitchen stool.

Very funny! LMAO! grin grin grin Wait until back pain gets hold of you!
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by CyberG: 6:24pm On Jul 30, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
You kuku just want to let us know that you're a software developer undecided Back pain ko, crotch pain ni tongue tongue

I am not a software developer, take it a few notches higher grin grin grin How about software engineer, architect, master?? grin grin How do you mean internship ideas? What year are you now in Uni? I have two cousin in Texas sef, A & M things! grin grin
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jul 30, 2013
Ohh. So that's why my back has been hurting all through this week.
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 30, 2013
CyberG:

I am not a software developer, take it a few notches higher grin grin grin How about software engineer, architect, master?? grin grin How do you mean internship ideas? What year are you now in Uni? I have two cousin in Texas sef, A & M things! grin grin
If PhD is not by your name, engineer ni o architect ni o, ko matter tongue

Internship as in internship nau haba embarassed I don finish Uni my guy
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by browndon: 6:49pm On Jul 30, 2013
Well for your back pain, you need to see a good Physiotherapist, who will examine your back probably ask you to go for an X-ray of the back and prescribe the right treatment . May i also let you know that drugs don't usually treat the pain but rather reduce the pain level for a while..after which the pain resumes...but a physiotherapist will be able to realign the spine and treat using appropriate treatment modalities like spinal traction , infrared, ultrasound therapy , manipulation etc.

above all..always try to maintain a good posture while sitting ,standing or lifting heavy objects... smiley smiley
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by sultanemerald(m): 7:02pm On Jul 30, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

you accused him of the very crime you are guilty of. you are in the US? *running and clapping in circles* for you.
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by teemy(m): 7:23pm On Jul 30, 2013
Ajibel: I code lying on my bed. I suffer back pain when am reading sitting on a chair- plastic grin
I also use a plastic chair and do have back pains as well
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by thorpido(m): 7:47pm On Jul 30, 2013
You need to do daily back exercises too.Avoid lifting heavy objects.
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by thorpido(m): 7:50pm On Jul 30, 2013
adexsimply: I really hate that chair!! I avoid it like a plague..I prefer sitting on this..Actually that's my favorite seat, as I can adjust it anyhow I feel
This your red chair is not a good chair o.It is ergonomically unfit for sitting to work.
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by Winneygirl(f): 7:54pm On Jul 30, 2013
Fhemmmy: I experience neck pain and not back pain . . . almost everyone in my office experience same neck pain
It still boils down to posture.
I used to have neck pains,till I realized dat long hours sitting in one position staring at a screen without conscious effort to support the back and neck led to pain. Suprisingly, U feel d pain more when under pressure.
So, make a conscious effort to rest your back and head.
Dis posture makes one look idle/lazy,but I've realized that I do more when in dis position.
No point killing yourself physically when most of d work U do requires just mental effort.
So please, always remember to support your neck.
P.S: I hope all the chairs in your office have long backrest.
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by Deco007: 7:55pm On Jul 30, 2013
[quote author=dayokanu]Cheii

My back was killing me

I usually take Collagen every morning

Yesterday I had one of the worst lower back pains

I now even sleep on the floor hoping it would ease

Who knows the remedy?[quote author=dayokanu]Cheii

My back was killing me

Who knows the remedy?
[quote author=dayokanu]Cheii

My back was killing me

Who knows the remedy?try agbo jedijedi or ogbaeyin u wil de okeys
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 30, 2013
sultanemerald:

you accused him of the very crime you are guilty of. you are in the US? *running and clapping in circles* for you.

Lmaooooo grin cheesy grin una don madt for NL tongue
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by Youngzedd(m): 9:15pm On Jul 30, 2013
I better learn from this before it's. too late, will definitely change my posture.
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by datola: 9:33pm On Jul 30, 2013
I am also experiencing similar pain. I suspect two causes: 1. sitting for long hours working on the system, 2. driving long hours.

@Seun, can you please provide information on where to get your type of office chairs in Lagos

Also, does anyone have information about brand/model of cars/SUV that provide the best sitting positions/adjustments.

@Op, thanks for opening up on this.
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by dasphinx1(m): 10:32pm On Jul 30, 2013
Back pain? Alomo cares...... grin
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by Amee1(m): 10:40pm On Jul 30, 2013
It's recommended for a programmer 2 have an exercise after compilation of source program or module.Make sure you tick each day 4rm ur calendar 2 make ur project done @ a time.Break ur project into module this reduce back pain. use dry run method b4 rush 2 code. spend 2hr or 3hr while coding with a cup of coffee- lastly work as a team- TIPS!
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jul 30, 2013
yuzedo:
Been nursing back problems too, but that has to be from driving in Lagos traffic everyday. cry angry

Eh, you mean employees of Nairaland Nigeria Limited don't sit on benches in one disused and decrepit Ota primary school hall?! shocked Osanobua ohh! cheesy Ermm, Seun, bro, can i come and program one of your TV so i get this special chair that your yeye awesome MODs are currently enjoying? embarassed tongue

Lol.. ViciousThings
Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by vyard: 10:57pm On Jul 30, 2013
i had the same pain as a supply chain manager,driving for long hours however got relief from my pain.i used the medir air back pillo and it;s a saving grace.

Re: Back Pain As A Software Designer /Developer? by otodeluxe(m): 11:50pm On Jul 30, 2013
OP just try a new posture.

Personally I put my laptop on a table and sit on an adjustable executive chair

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Can Tell Me Why Professional Hackers Use Satanic Names? / Foreign Jobs(remote And Relocation) Discussions / Backend Software Engineers, Let's Talk About System Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.